Berserk OVA Rumor

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Born_Loser
notanewb

Re: Berserk OVA Rumor

Post by Born_Loser »

What exactly would Berserk fanservice look like ? I wonder....

(visualized lots of demon rape and Guts slicing things in half, with lots of guts)

I like it.

Ohh yeah. I didn't get to watch Solomon Kane. I also have to wonder... What exactly does Gutz have to redeem himself for ? He was born into a time where men live and die by the sword. He was raised to do nothing but fight people. Every single one of his opponents was armed, an enemy, and most often, attacked him first. The only thing he has done that was truly wrong, was let his passion for Caska take over and almost rape her. But as for all the bloodshed, it's the time he lives in. Could you picture him trying to farm ? or raising goats ? I can't.

I'll agree with Fight Club and say that Guts doesn't need redemption: he needs revenge.
"Never dance with a girl who's older brothers have knife scars." - Matrim Cauthon
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Born_Loser wrote: Every single one of his opponents was armed, an enemy, and most often, attacked him first.
Killing the little boy that pretty much reminded him of himself in the assassination mission for Griffith, while an accident, wasn't his best job.

Though overall I agree, Guts doesn't want or need redemption, just plain old revenge. Although there is the slight possibility of settling down with Caska and party, though the brand probably doesn't allow that.
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

I think framing it in terms of redemption versus revenge almost misses the point. Guts is constantly struggling to reconcile himself with the world in which he lives. How can he continue to live in a world where such horrific, absurd things happen? Can he bring himself to care about people when those people can be suddenly and cruelly taken away? Can a single human being make a meaningful impact in the world, or is he wholly at the mercy of forces larger than himself? And if he CAN make a difference, does this confer on him a responsibility to act in a certain way? These are the questions Guts constantly wrestles with, and they go far deeper than a simple matter of vengeance or redemption.
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

hbi2k wrote:And if he CAN make a difference, does this confer on him a responsibility to act in a certain way?
With great power comes great... current squared times resistance.

SCNR
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Did Miura just tell us he cancelled the anime in the last chapter?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

He did.

I had mixed feelings about a new Berserk anime. What if they screwed it up?
Now I know I, deep inside, really wanted it.

In Gutts words: Why do I always realize it.. When I've already lost it...?
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

War Machine wrote:Did Miura just tell us he cancelled the anime in the last chapter?
Sigh. Well, at least I never let myself really believe there would be one, so the disapointment isn't too great.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

War Machine wrote:Did Miura just tell us he cancelled the anime in the last chapter?
What? I didn't see anything like that in the latest chapter. Maybe I subconciously didn't see it because I didn't want to? :?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Aetherfukz wrote:
What? I didn't see anything like that in the latest chapter. Maybe I subconciously didn't see it because I didn't want to? :?
On the "note" page in chapter 309 there's this little message from Miura:

"It's been a long time but, about the anime of our struggling protagonist, it's been completely canceled. Though I really think there was a lot of demand for it."
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Sura
imanewbie

what the hell is this about a second series?

Post by Sura »

http://zotaku.com/2009/08/18/berserk-season-2-rumor/

Is it a rumor or is it true, i have prayed for this day for years and years and years.

Any info would be appreciated :)
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Re: what the hell is this about a second series?

Post by War Machine »

And just 4 topics down is another topic titled "Berserk OVA Rumor".
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

And merged together.

You also could have just read the latest chapter to get the most recent news. I know reading can be difficult, but it really does help!
badass ape
imanewbie

Post by badass ape »

I'm actually hopeful that this is Miura's sick idea of a joke. Remember when he was giving up Berserk to play that damn idol game? He's probably just annoyed that those images were leaked. Looking forward to Season 2, 3, 4 and beyond!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

That was just a rumor, and I seriously doubt it's true. We don't even know if this OVA rumor was true or not either, because what Miura said in his quote isn't necessarily referring to a new OVA that was being planned. More than likely he was merely saying there are no plans to make a new anime, just as there always hasn't been since the first anime was concluded. Like I've always said, we really shouldn't get our hopes up about another Berserk anime.
madonnalal
notanewb

Post by madonnalal »

Perhaps the images were leaked from a Berserk video game project that either was dropped or is still in production? The pictures look very professional. The quality reminds me of the art in Tales of Symphonia. They could also be promo pictures for the manga. Who knows at this point.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Why did you bring of Tales of Symphonia? That game was horrible. It was a drama where the main character was an idiot, you can't do that!
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
thepeaguy
notanewb

Post by thepeaguy »

The Herald wrote:Why did you bring of Tales of Symphonia? That game was horrible. It was a drama where the main character was an idiot, you can't do that!
Skies of Arcadia was the better GC rpg imo.
tsubaimomo
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by tsubaimomo »

thepeaguy wrote:Skies of Arcadia was the better GC rpg imo.
If you like getting into battles every 5 steps...

I enjoyed Tales of Symphonia while playing with a friend... not too many RPGs let you co-op, and the battle system of the Tales games are the best part. But in terms of storyline... I skipped it all, I have no idea.

What are we supposed to be talking about again?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

tsubaimomo wrote:What are we supposed to be talking about again?
The fact that there will never, ever be a second season/OVA of Berserk, and people should just stop hoping.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

thepeaguy wrote:
The Herald wrote:Why did you bring of Tales of Symphonia? That game was horrible. It was a drama where the main character was an idiot, you can't do that!
Skies of Arcadia was the better GC rpg imo.
Skies of Arcadia was fucking amazing, better than most Final Fantasies IMO, and seriously needs a sequel, but it's not a GC rpg (though had more sold on the GC). It's a Dreamcast rpg, but thank God it was released on GC or I'd have never played it. For only GC rpgs I'd say Lost Kingdom or FF Crystal Chronicles were better. Hell, almost anything is better than Tales of Symphonia. Tales of the Abyss was the best of all the Tales games of that generation if you ask me.

A Berserk OVA would be way too small for a producer to make, considering the size of the series as a Manga. A new anime would be odd considering they'd have to play off of the last one. I think that a BBC style miniseries would work quite well for Berserk's style, but all the fantasy would be difficult to do and expensive. Before they make a new video game they really should translate the PS2 one to English, Italian, French, and German for the fanbase. Play off the God of War fanbase.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Superboi
notanewb

Post by Superboi »

Istvan wrote:
Sigh. Well, at least I never let myself really believe there would be one, so the disapointment isn't too great.
I'm still being hopeful. I'm under the impression that those pictures weren't supposed to be released yet, and dashing our hopes was nothing more than getting rid of the collateral damage. I'm sure there's meetings going on somewhere about getting this project underway.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Nah. Once you officially come out and say that it won't happen, there are all sorts of legal reasons why you don't keep working to make it happen. Too bad though, more Berserk (of almost any form, as long as it was done well) would be wonderful.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Though it is disappointing to see that there will be no continuation of the Berserk anime, I find that a re-read helps to kill the wait. The story is pretty massive so reliving awesome scenes such as Guts' lack of mercy to Roshinu can help one remember our favorite parts from Berserk. Hell, even the bloopers from the anime are great!
Istvan wrote:Berserk (of almost any form, as long as it was done well) would be wonderful.
Almost being the key word here. That RPG maker game looked totally awful.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Vancore
imanewbie

Post by Vancore »

Although it would have been nice had this OVA come to fruit maybe its best it didn't... actually that's not right a OVA would be a better decision to make in this case then another Anime that would most likely catch up to the manga in little time and would be plagued by filler. In any case, glad it got canceled, those shots don't make it look nearly as good as it should look like, a bit too clean, not dirty enough. The old anime didn't have that great of animation, but if any OVA is considered I'd just prefer a better animated form of that then us the crispy cleary goodness art style most anime has today.

Like the shot with the gaurd's being flayed seems off, Pucks scene needs to tone down the strobe light effect, Zod looks touched by 3d, and the only kinda decent pic of caska is too clean.. ok maybe its ok. Maybe Miura canceled it himself seeing how he puts so much detail into all his drawings its like a collection of art work collected to create a story... well the design probably fell short so it was dumped. Even the video games have a bit more of that grit then these 4 scenes.

So no I don't agree with Istvan. This OVA may look sorta decent but I'd wait another many years (70 at most) for a descent film/TV adaption to come to life. And if it isn't descent.. well I'll be sad, but I got to read the manga still.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Meh. I'd only want a new Berserk OVA/Anime if it was done well. Personally I was witholding judgment (a few screenshots are hardly enough to make a decision on) until it actually came out.