Zero Originality - Rant on GameStop

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Zero Originality - Rant on GameStop

Post by War Machine »

These are a series of episodes made in the Zero Punctuation style (hence the name Zero Originality) about the chain of video game stores GameStop, their shady business practices and how they affect their customers and employees, made and edited by 8 or 9 former GameStop employees. An informative piece that should be viewed by anyone who buys at GameStop, also quite entertaining and funny:

ZERO ORIGINALITY EPISODE 1
ZERO ORIGINALITY EPISODE 2
ZERO ORIGINALITY EPISODE 3 PART 1
ZERO ORIGINALITY EPISODE 3 PART 2
ZERO ORIGINALITY EPISODE 3 PART 3
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Re: Zero Originality - Rant on GameStop

Post by Starnum »

Fuck! I always thought GameStop had shitty deals, but I didn't know how bad it really was. Thanks for the heads-up man, I'll think twice before I shop there again. I have GameFly anyway, so I play a lot of games, and only buy the ones I really like. Plus, by buying used games from GameFly, you get a much better deal, and best of all, you know what kind of condition the game is in before you decide whether to keep it or not. Plus they offer lots of online coupons and discounts. I just recently bought a copy of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 in brand new condition for half what I'd pay for it new at a store. So if you're like me, and like to play lots of games, mainly just to beat them and then probably never play them again, then GameFly is definitely the way to go. Like I said, if I like the game enough, I'll just buy it from them. I've never gotten a game from GameFly that was in bad condition or wouldn't play. Most of the time the games are like brand new, but since they're technically used, they will sell it to you for an appropriate used price. The only time I buy a game without playing it first, is when I just have to have it as soon as it comes out, and in those cases I know I'm going to like the game, and I've rarely been wrong. So if I have to have a game right away, I don't mind paying full price for it, but otherwise I'm content to just rent games, and buy them used at fair prices.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Yeah, I used to work at Gamestop, and as far as I know I'm the only employee other than an assistant manager (who at the time was on sick leave) who doesn't have a criminal record from working there because I was smart enough to quit before the shit hit the fan. I don't buy many video games anymore, but I think from now on I'll just check online stores, better prices anywas.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I've never bought a used game from gamestop (I did buy Silent Hill for the PS1 from EB Games though, only cause it was hard to find and I needed my Silent Hill collection complete, the game was practically new, no scratches and came with booklet and evertything) mainly because I don't like the condition they are in. I like to keep my games in pristine condition and any scratch or mark that occurs on the box, booklet or disc is a heavy burden on me, so buying a game that is already in a bad condition is a big problem for me (and I would never even consider buying anything that doesn't have the original box and booklet included).

The only time I considered selling a game to them was to get rid of DMC3 and get DMC3 Special Edition in the week it came out, which ultimately ended up only saving me 2 bucks from the already cheap $20 price tag. In retrospect I could given that game to anyone for 5 bucks easily, but I got played for a chump.

I still buy new games from them if they're cheap though, but only new games which don't seem to hurt anyone at all. I've never been a one store kinda guy anyway, I bought Fallout 3 on Target, MGS4 on Gamestop and other games on Best Buy. Usually wherever they're on a good sale price or come with something good as an extra. The only 2 times I've reserved a game at Gamestop, I did it a day before launch (for MGS4 and Silent Hill Homecoming) and bought them the next day so to minimize the time they have with my money, I hate giving out money for nothing (On another note: I abhor gift cards, they're one of the biggest scams in the century). I only reserved them for the extras anyway (free copy of the Silent Hill movie).

By the way, Herald, how close to reality was the video compared to you working at Gamestop?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

That's funny that you mention DMC3 Special Edition, that's the only used game I've ever bought from Gamestop. I bought it earlier this years so it was really cheap, like ten bucks or something like that, but the first copy I took home didn't even work! I had to take it back and get another copy. Damn them, using me as a free game tester! Yeah, I'm gonna be avoiding them like the plague from now on, heh.
titogod
Found the Edit button

Post by titogod »

those videos suck balls, just like sk.net
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

What do you mean "like sk.net"?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

He's being a fucking idiot. It was previously crossed out and replaced with 'like me', which I thought was funny so I ignored it. He necroed this thread to prove a point, I guess, that only he really gets. He thinks that just because he hates SK.net, it means everyone else does as well.

titogod, did you forget my previous warning? Are you so incredibly dense?

I have treated you with enough patience. Take this as your last and FINAL warning. If you persist with your 'feud' with SK.net here at this forum, website, blog, chat, IRC and whatever, YOU WILL BE BANNED. You are walking a very, very, fine line. I simply cannot tolerate very much of your idiocy anymore. And I can tell you, neither can the rest of the members.

I don't care how they trashed your game. You acted like a little bitch there and you're acting like one now. I don't care for the games you make. I will delete every single one of your threads about those games or move them to the Interstice to be ridiculed.

Are we clear?

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
titogod
Found the Edit button

Post by titogod »

:D yes we are clear, sk.net sucks cock!

:lol:
arke
Beware my tactical spam

Post by arke »

br&
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Won't be missed. At least he can't triple post his RPG Maker games anymore to bump them for every minuscule update.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.