Currently Watching?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Re: Currently Watching?

Post by Aetherfukz »

Rolos wrote:Yup, it's a good series.

Just started watching Serial Experiments Lain. I am utterly, completely, absolutely, totally unimpressed.
I know I shouldn't have expected much. I heard it was made by the creators of Tehxnolyze, so I had very high expectations.
It turns out it's nothing like it.

sigh
Just like Texhnolyze I found the pacing of Lain a bit... stretched, but IMHO it's as brilliant a series as Texhnolyze. Though much more mindfuckery happens in Lain, and its message is basically up to the viewer to interpret, much like Evangelion.

Anyway, watched up to episode 15 of Blue Gender yesterday. Still awesome. Though I spoke out "LOL WTF" loudly when a scene showed that military recreation is basically one big orgy. Especially when they showed some couples talking on benches in some kind of park, with a guy getting a blowjob next to them, and another guy masturbating to that. LOL WTF indeed.

Though as funny and as unexpected that scene was, I really like to the series has this whole mature feel to it, just like Berserk. Characters all seem to have their own problems, nothing seems exactly black or white, and they treat sex for what it is - an awesome thing for 2 people willing to do it, without some anvilicious Aesop that gets usually thrown in in media targeted at a youger audience. Pretty much how Berserk handles it, just without all the raping :P

So, I'll probably finish the series today or tomorrow, can anyone suggest something else to watch? Something more seinen than shounen?

P.S. nice self destruct screen :D
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I haven't watched anything new in ages. And I am colossally, monumentally bored.
So I started watching occidental stuff.
Sealab 2021
Harvey Birdman
The Venture Brothers
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Space Phantom form Coast to Coast

I watched them all.
And now I'm bored again.

HELP!
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

monster anime starts today on syfy
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

ShinigamiGuts wrote:monster anime starts today on syfy
I loved that one, it's very dramatic.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I have just downloaded Cowboy Bebop and am well underway for watching it my first time. So far I'm super into it. I think it's funny that they keep accidentally killing their bounties before then can collect.

I've also downloaded Robotech because I love Macross and I heard that there's a Robotech movie being made.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

i just started on gundam 00. i wanted to watch the original series and the ones that come after it first, but well this is the one i found.

it is ok so far, i dont know his name but the pilot with the glasses pisses me off
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Tieria, he gets better.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Darker Than Black season 2 has begun.
Hope its just as good as the first one *fingers crossed*

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
papasith

Post by papasith »

so far the new darker then black it good imo, but alot has changed in the time between series... i am eager to find out!
papasith

Post by papasith »

so i finished season 1 of 00, after season 2 i think im gonna stick with the gundam theme, curious what others would reccommend watching (or order) or reccommend not watching for that matter

Tieria did get a bit better, still not to fond of him but he has a whole new season to grow on me ( i like the direction he is heading)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I recommend watching all the major UC Gundam series, in order. ;)
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

Lain was just one way of saying that if you are God (which Lain was), the best thing is to disappear and not interfere. I think the visuals made you turn your brain off... don't worry it did that to me too until I decided to think a bit about it.

Thinking... it's a good thing

Right now watching ZZ Gundam (by hero legends)... the subtitles are hardcoded so i cant edit it...... maaaan do i want to edit them
I'm also on a UC Gundam bender... I'm gonna watch V Gundam after this... maybe even G if I can find Blu Ray versions of them like i did for Z Gundam... rewatching Z Gundam recently, I find it ever more poignant than I did the first time watching it

OZC has also done a high quality encoding of Gundam Wing, which I will be rewatching as well as a high quality version of Endless Waltz

If youre gonna watch a Macross Movie then theres only one worth watching: Macross: Do You Remember Love

I'm also gonna check out Heavy Metal L-Gaim at some point
"Happiness is an inside job"
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Dominion wrote:
If youre gonna watch a Macross Movie then theres only one worth watching: Macross: Do You Remember Love
I assume u haven't watched Macross Plus.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

The Prince wrote:
Dominion wrote:
I assume u haven't watched Macross Plus.
Seconded.

On a different note, I started watching "Legend of the Galactic Heroes". It's old, the animation sucks and one of the protagonist is annoyingly competent, to the point you start wondering whether he's ever gonna be wrong (that doesn't mean he doesn't lose, though). It's also a little hard to get into, the pace is too slow at first.
If you ignore that and focus on the plot or the music, I guarantee you'll be ecstatic.
For those who like history, it's especially enjoyable.
It's because of this series I started seriously listening to classical music. Dvorak's ninth symphony "From the New World" totally blew my mind.
~Diogenes of Sinope
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Macross Plus I don't think was meant to be in movie form but in miniseries form. But it's still the best Macross out there.
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

Macross Plus was a four part OVA... it was later made into a movie with additional scenes added to it as a selling point.

There are other Macross movies (Macross 2, the Macross 7 ones).I was only just trying to be specific by saying "movie".

But you guys are right: Macross Plus is still a great anime to watch. It certainly trumps any Macross offering this side of the millennial spectrum.
"Happiness is an inside job"
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

How could the movie version of Macross Plus have more scenes? Each of the OVAs was an hour long, and there were 4 of them ... the movie isn't 4 hours long, I've watched it. What did they edit out?

I've still yet to watch Macross Frontier, I really should. Macross 7 got boring having the kid sing the same song over and over again, I just gave up at eps 15 or so and went onto the original Macross. I like the original Macross, it kept me interested for the entire 50 episode show. I like how the woman who played Minmei in Japanese and sang her songs also played her in English, that was cool.

Macross 2, although I enjoy it, is considered non-canonical so I don't really consider it a Macross movie. Much like one wouldn't count Robotech as Macross.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Started watching "The Skull Man".
It Rocks!
The art-style is somewhat old-school (it reminds me of Lupin III), the plot is mature and well handled, each character has it's own quirks, being both fun and deep, and the setting is just a treat to the eyes, in the sense that it feels very normal and familiar, but you can tell there's something lurking below the surface.
Also, it's one of the few series that doesn't absolutely butcher Shakespeare or Nietzsche when referencing them.
I liked the music, but some would say it is excessively explicit when setting the mood.
I know the name kind of discourages viewers, but it's nothing like your classical "superhero show". The skull man is not a hero. He isn't an antihero either, he's just a guy putting on a mask to avoid being identified (and presumably because it looks cool and provides enhanced vision) while doing his thing. He's not even the main character.
Anyway, I still haven't watched the last 3 episodes, but so far it gets a thumbs up from me.

Now go watch it, stupid!
~Diogenes of Sinope
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

SAMURAI CHAMPLOO IS AMAZING!!!

[spoiler]until the last 5 minutes of the show when neither Jin nor Mugen die or stay with Fuu. IMO Jin totally shoulda died and then Mugen stayed with Fuu, but that ruins the possibility of a sequel, which is what they probably are planning. The whole point of the anime was that they became so close that they would die trying to save each other, whether there was romance or not, and then they just walk away from each other at the end of the show? What a load of crap. And what the hell happened to that secret police man? he was so awesome! he totally seemed like a supporting long term character and the last time you see him is in that baseball episode? the whole thing just fizzled out at the end. grrr. and i always hate it when in an anime there's a lead girl and she never gets the guy, even though there's romantic tension and the guys have affections for other women throughout the series. Jin is even shown to be having sex with a bunch of other women! This doesn't mean that they'd be with Fuu, but it does mean that they like women and sex, and there's no reason they shouldn't be attracted to Fuu. And that's it with my rant :P.[/spoiler]
papasith

Post by papasith »

so since i last posted i finished mobile suit gundam, zeta gundam, and am now on gundam seed (i couldn't keep going on double zeta gundam it annoyed the piss out of me)

all i have to say is im realize how much similarities are in all the gundam series, especially seed and the original, i can't wait to rewatch gundam wing and see if, and what it shares in common with all the others

Champloo was awsome, and i dunno, i felt like the ending just fit.

and crap i forgot about skull man i never finished it :\ it was awsome
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The second half of Double Zeta is better than the first half, IMO. So that may give you some incentive to watch the rest of it. Don't forget to watch Char's Counterattack after that. I'm looking forward to when they come out with Gundam Pegasus, it's supposed to follow up where CC left off. Also, if you haven't watched Gundam X yet, that's another good one.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Finally got around to finish GunXSword.
It was a good series, and the music was really...unique. Very samurai-esque. Which mixed in remarkably well with this mechanized far west sci-fi setting.
The plot started off really stupid and simple, but gained depth and complexity as it went on. It's the kind of series I would recommend to someone who's reading the works of Nietzsche or Schopenhauer, because Comrade's thesis (and master plan) is very interesting when compared to the works of the philosophers of Will (the ones I know of, at least).
The characters are a little lame, with the possible exception of Joshua's brother, who had a Gutts-like air about him.
Van's a goddamn retard, I hated him. He just didn't think, zero introspection. He just...did things. Ugh.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

You liked GunxSword, that's cool. Most people I've seen online didn't like it for some reason, but I enjoyed it. Yeah, Ray (Joshua's brother) was my favorite character. I liked his Armor too, Volkein.
papasith

Post by papasith »

gun x sword started slow for me, but i ended up likeing it...the ending was the best part to me (after the turtle got bigger and all)
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Currently watching Metalocalypse. It's hilarious.
Any (new) good series I should know about?
~Diogenes of Sinope