Currently Watching?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Re: Currently Watching?

Post by The Herald »

haha, I watched Wolf's Rain before you! It's, um, not up to Escaflowne standards, to say the least. Only caching the two together because of Yoko Kanno. Sadly I must agree with hbi2k's remark in Berserk abridged about it.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

just rembered i never watched witch hunter robin so thats what i am on right now. only on episode 3 but after i fix my car that will shoot up :\
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Witch Hunter Robin isnt that good of an anime, was years since I saw the series but as I recall it was almost pure crap :P

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
papasith

Post by papasith »

its ok so far, as a note did you see it on cartoon network when you had this opinion?
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

i remeber liking witch hunter robin, it had a bad ending. i watched it on ytv, same station i watched deathnote and dbz on. canadian stations aren't as bad with censorship i find.

i am now watching black lagoon, i like rock, he's so wierd.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Loeviz wrote:Witch Hunter Robin isnt that good of an anime, was years since I saw the series but as I recall it was almost pure crap :P

I remember it was pretty good,interesting.

I saw a manga of it still going recently and will read it hope its good too.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Started watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

I dont like what I have seen so far.
I've been told repeatedly that its better than the last series, but all I see is a simplified remake. The plot, which was supposed to stay faithful to the manga (and I always assumed that would make it awesome) seems dumbed down to me. The way the story is being told is, and I am being generous here, as subtle as a retarded mammoth.
Many things that in the previous version were left for the viewer to infer are now being told explicitly to the camera, in a tone that's dangerously close to the much hated expo-speak.
The new art-style, with it's broader faces and less detail, just plainly sucks.
The one thing I really liked is how much they powered-up Scar. I always found strange how dangerous he was considered, taking into account how much he sucked at fighting when compared to the Homunculi or the (plot relevant) State Alchemists.

I'm only at episode 07 though, so I may still change my opinion, should the series quality improve in the next few episodes.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
papasith

Post by papasith »

they basically did quicken versions of most the episodes already covered in the previous anime to leave more room for new content i believe.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

they shoulda just used the episodes they already had and then continued from the point of deviance. woulda saved a whole lot of time and money.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

So I finished Gundam SEED. Overall I enjoyed it, but it's one of the slower paced Gundam series, IMO. Sometimes whole episodes go by without anything significant happening. I could have stood for more action, and less stock footage too. So I can't say it's one of my favorite Gundam shows, but I liked it well enough. I thought the ending was pretty good though, at least it finished strong. So SEED Destiny is next, if I can find a working DL somewhere anyway.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Herald wrote:they shoulda just used the episodes they already had and then continued from the point of deviance. woulda saved a whole lot of time and money.
So they should have used the first 3 episodes from the first anime? Meh. It's much better the way they did it, speed through the almost-canon events from the first anime in about 5-8 episodes, and redo the rest according to manga.

Also, Haruhi S2: I loved the scene where Kyon temporarly lost his cool. Dangerous music, and really sweet editing and a really scary Haruhi ("Yeah, Mikuru-chan IS MY PET!). I hope there will be more episodes to follow, but I dunno the timeline. I really hope it doesn't end after just 14 episodes where 8 of them were (pretty much) exactly the same.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Aetherfukz wrote:
The Herald wrote:they shoulda just used the episodes they already had and then continued from the point of deviance. woulda saved a whole lot of time and money.
So they should have used the first 3 episodes from the first anime? Meh. It's much better the way they did it, speed through the almost-canon events from the first anime in about 5-8 episodes, and redo the rest according to manga.

Also, Haruhi S2: I loved the scene where Kyon temporarly lost his cool. Dangerous music, and really sweet editing and a really scary Haruhi ("Yeah, Mikuru-chan IS MY PET!). I hope there will be more episodes to follow, but I dunno the timeline. I really hope it doesn't end after just 14 episodes where 8 of them were (pretty much) exactly the same.

Actually, besides the total loss of subtlety in the delivery of plot-relevant information, what bothered me about the recounting of the events covered in the original series was the premature demise of Greed.
I liked Greed. I could relate to him.
He found himself practically immortal, possessing inhuman reflexes and a nigh invulnerable skin. Did he then proceed to pledge allegiance to some shady master who rarely even showed him/herself to him? Hell, no.
He was individualistic, dynamic, ambitious. He saw an opportunity to create his own organization and took it. He planned, he gambled, he won.
Then he got killed.
That sucked, seeing a man of endless ambition (who openly admitted he wanted everything) killed by a fucktard such as Edward, but even in his last moments Greed proved himself awesome, aiding Edward so that, through him, he could get back to his creator.

"There's no way there's no way" sound very Greed-like, but having him dying so soon? Not so good.

About Haruhi S2: Kyon is awesome. Need I say more?
Actually, I do.
You see, I've always seen Kyon as the ultimate cynic. As such, he's completely static, he doesn't do anything. Haruhi, on the other hand, is Idealism incarnated.
Seeing how Kyon starts, little by little, to absorb (this word exist, right?) some of that idealism, how he starts to understand that Cynicism (not that idealism is, either) isn't the answer, is simply awesome. I am probably just Projecting this, but still, a series that can allow me to do so can't be bad.
Also, he is one hell of a narrator.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Rolos wrote:Actually, besides the total loss of subtlety in the delivery of plot-relevant information, what bothered me about the recounting of the events covered in the original series was the premature demise of Greed.
I liked Greed. I could relate to him.
He found himself practically immortal, possessing inhuman reflexes and a nigh invulnerable skin. Did he then proceed to pledge allegiance to some shady master who rarely even showed him/herself to him? Hell, no.
He was individualistic, dynamic, ambitious. He saw an opportunity to create his own organization and took it. He planned, he gambled, he won.
Then he got killed.
That sucked, seeing a man of endless ambition (who openly admitted he wanted everything) killed by a fucktard such as Edward, but even in his last moments Greed proved himself awesome, aiding Edward so that, through him, he could get back to his creator.

"There's no way there's no way" sound very Greed-like, but having him dying so soon? Not so good.
Yeah, Greeds death sucked for several reasons in the original series. On top of yours, theres the problem that Ed really isn't that much of a kill guy. AFAIK in the manga he hasn't killed a single person, because through his experience he knows that death is irreversable and final. He even sealed the wounds of 2 enemies that tried to kill him when a building collapsed on the three of them after tending to his own wounds.

But there's good stuff in store for Greed in the new Anime I'd say.
papasith

Post by papasith »

ya the whole greed thing was more integral to the overall story in this then it was with the original. not much else can be said without ruining everything. one you get to greed in the new one, thats when it gets real good from what i rember
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Yeah.....They killed him in ONE episode.

Thanks for getting my hopes up, ye bastards!
~Diogenes of Sinope
papasith

Post by papasith »

i thought it was two or three, and when he dies (not when he is defeated) reveals alot of the story that is different from the original
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

papasith wrote:i thought it was two or three, and when he dies (not when he is defeated) reveals alot of the story that is different from the original
Are you talking about the old or new series? Because in the new one I think
[spoiler]the stuff with Greeds "essence" fusing with Prince Whatshisname from Xing should come in one of the next episodes.[/spoiler]

Edit: no more new Haruhi episodes :(
papasith

Post by papasith »

im finally getting around to black lagoon, loveing it so far
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

english or japanese? most of my friends agree that english is better, just something about it feels more assholey. i love the chick, the half chinese one, though i can't remember her name. the ending is disappointing though.
papasith

Post by papasith »

the files i have are dual audio, and the english voices annoy me a bit so japanese with subs :D

ending isn't it still in progress? i know they have 2 seasons with a 3rd on the way
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

i meant by the end of the 26th eps
Last edited by The Herald on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papasith

Post by papasith »

ya that was a messed up ending...but most of the season was messed up (not in a bad way)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

once my life calms down a little bit i'm going to finally start the macross frontier i downloaded back in may
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I'm usually not that much into the whole mecha genre, but reading what Starnum wrote about Blue Gender, and reading somewhere else that it's basically Starship Troopers the book the anime (though they obviously didn't get the rights for it), made me want to try it.

Watched the first 6 episodes yesterday and I'm completely hooked now. I love how ferocious the bugs are, and that what seemed to be supporting cast members die left and right, and die VERY fast at that. And I especially like that the Armor Shrieks aren't the center of attraction but rather tools for the protagonists to use. That's how I can relate to mecha series. Yuji seemed like a complete pussy (although understandably so) the first 2 episodes but he got his act together then and now seems like a likeable character.

What's also nice that's its a rather realistic take on scifi. With their mechs being rather lowtech (they kinda reminded me of the forklifters in Aliens), humanity being a bitch, and especially how sex is handled. Usually anime girls go either "OMG you're my true love be my first!" or are complete sluts. But this is the first anime where I heard a girl say basically "I needed some human warmth, so I slept with one of my squadmates, there's no love involved, so what?" - which didn't sound bitchy at all. Under their circumstances it sounded completely human.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Yup, it's a good series.

Just started watching Serial Experiments Lain. I am utterly, completely, absolutely, totally unimpressed.
I know I shouldn't have expected much. I heard it was made by the creators of Tehxnolyze, so I had very high expectations.
It turns out it's nothing like it.

sigh
~Diogenes of Sinope