Berserk Vol 1-3 Comparison and Continuation. Guts' change.

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

DarkenRahlX wrote:Well there is one problem that sticks out to me like a sore thumb. I know Guts didn't like to be touched before he got in the band of the Hawks and even during his stay with the Hawks. But over the years it shows him growing out of that to the point when him and Caska >< you know... But when Puck tries to touch him during the first couple of chapters he acts HOSTILE as hell towards the little guy. Well after the chapters after the Eclipse it doesn't show Guts getting nuts like he does during his early years for people touching. I guess Miura didn't want Guts to have that trait in the later development of the comic.
Let's say he doesn't like getting touched because of the events that happened in the eclipse, and his feelings resurfaced. He really seemed to hate the world because of the eclipse. I mean, he acts like he's alone in the world, and doesn't like people around at all. Maybe he doesn't like being touched because at that point, he thought the whole world was out to get him. Good observation RahX, I didn't really care too much about that aspect.

As for manga: I don't think it really matters. Femto just summarised it in his sentence. And you can't call Xmen a manga because it wasn't made in Japan. Much like other terms such as Korean comics, like manwha. They're a category for the comics to be placed in for identification and they're pretty much a genre. I mean, I go to the comic section in my bookstore, and they have mangas within the comic section. I have seen a Star Wars and Spider man manga by the way. It sucked cock.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Sahlen wrote:I know it actually is the same.
But it's the same thing as for anime.
For fan an anime must be a "cartoon made in japan".
You can't call X-man comics a manga...
and I think you shouldn't do it the other way round.

Just the opinnion an anime otaku :?
There's no point in calling an X-men comic a manga if we are in the US. Why should we address it with a japanese word in a place where english is the main language? People just call it a manga because it's easier than calling it a "japanese comic book." It's the same with anime. For the same reason, there is no problem with referring to a manga as a comic because we are in the US.

Yes, I know not everybody in this forum resides in the US, but that is where this forum is located and we all speak english here.
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

As I said it's just my opinion but I think it really sounds gross calling berserk a comic.
Just as calling the Berserk anime a cartoon it just doesn't fit.

I take back what I've said some post earlier.
You can call it Anime cartoon and manga a comic.
I don't fucking care anymore... :roll:

Well actually I do ^^
Ashes To Ashes, Dust to Dust, Life is Short, So Party We Must!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

What so "gross" about calling Berserk a comic? Or the animated series a cartoon? That's what they fucking are! I'm tired of anime-fanboy-otaku nerds that view american comics and cartoons as the worst shit and view japanese stuff as the greatest thing since sliced bread when they really don't know a thing about anything. I might be wrong, but that's the vibe I'm getting from you.

Let's not start an argument though. If I get too into this, I'll flame the shit out of whoever acts this way and I will get teh ban eventually. Bottom line is, we (you, me, RahlX) can call it whatever the fuck we want. Manga/comic, anime/cartoon, it's all the same. Let's leave it at that.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

For now on i shall call manga/comics ugbleks and i shall call cartoons/animes
machuzo's.
Sahlen
Found the Edit button

Post by Sahlen »

1. I've said that they are actually the same (literary)

2. I've taken back what I said erlier to DarkenRahlX, so I'm not telling anyone to call it that way.

3. I think X-man is great comic.

4. I was just saying my opinion you don't have to get angry

5. I've never said cartoons are better than anime neither that mangas are better then comics.

and damn that's just my fucking opinion you don't have to get angry.
Ashes To Ashes, Dust to Dust, Life is Short, So Party We Must!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I might've overreacted a little, but I did so based on the impressions your posts gave me. Let's leave it that.
Buzkashi wrote:For now on i shall call manga/comics ugbleks and i shall call cartoons/animes
machuzo's.
Exactly. Machuzo sounds pretty cool actually...
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Umm....in case anybody doesn't know my avatar's from a COMIC made in HK called Stormriders. What's that got to do with this thread? EXACTLY MY POINT. ^^ :P

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Uh…right. I think I’m just going to leave this subject alone.
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Please get the thread back on topic or it will be locked.
Last edited by psi29a on Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

For some odd reason, Shizu's state of mind just seems like Caska to me. Maybe this was Miura's way of eluding to what would happen to Caska later on in the course of the story. It's an excellent way of fortelling what would occur in the future.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I have to disagree with you there, rahl. There was very little information given on Shizu to begin with, so I find it difficult make an objective comparison between her and Caska's current state. Also, the relationship between Shizu and Guts is very different than the one between Caska and Guts.

That being said, there's something that crossed my mind when I read your post. The relationship between Guts, Caska and the little kid they found on the beach is somewhat similar to the Gambino, Shizu, Guts relationship. Guts/Gambino are badasses and Shizu/Caska act very motherlike. Both couples find a child that is not their own (this might be untrue in the case of the mysterious child, who everyone assumes is Guts' and Caska's child). I can't put my finger on the Guts/Kid similarities, but it's interesting regardless. We still have to wait and see how things progress from now to see if we can turn this theory down or not.

psi: I didn't know there was a rule against cursing. I know offending other members directly is against the rules and I tried to avoid that. I'll try to keep the language down from now on.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Femto- Well your elusion comparison stomped mine into the ground. Shizu was already crazy before she was found Guts because of her miscarriage...I didn't think things through when I posted that statement. I guess what I was trying to say is that Shizu was crazy then later on, through Caska's involvement with Griffith, she ended up being crazy. I was trying to say that the women that are most important to Guts are not all right in the head.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

psi29a wrote:Please get the thread back on topic or it will be locked.
id rather jus lock, its another dumbass topic anyway
Gatzz
Mastered PM

Post by Gatzz »

Nah, I like this thread...

Im still waiting for information about the father of Guts.
Maybe it sounds very irrelevant, but i always wondered...
Because the laws of casuallity seem to have little inpact on him, its like he was never meant to be born at all.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

This thread's becoming one of those threads everyone 'talked about but eventually grew tired of' back in DP. It's an ambituous thread, and that's all the credit it gets. :wink:

DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

Eldo thank you for hinting towards locking this thread than being insulting like Dos.azn. You can go ahead and lock it, but being rude is a horrible way to get more people to enjoy people to talk about a series they love Dos.azn. I know you probably don't care because of the "If everyone finds out and talks about it then this won't be special" syndrome that most adolescent people seem to go through. It happens with underground music, anime, foriegn and independent films. I don't know why that is, but I guess that's one of the things in this world I'm gonna have to deal with. Thank you for testing my tolerance Dos.azn. I was gonna post in anger, but I've conquered it. At least you've helped me out with that.
Last edited by DarkenRahlX on Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Heheh...wow
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

DarkenRahlX wrote: You can go ahead and lock it
why, mr. DarkenRahlX! why didn't you just ask kind sir? with pleasure i shall!