Currently Watching?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Re: Currently Watching?

Post by Aetherfukz »

Haruhi S2 07. As expected,
[spoiler]still stuck in the time loop.[/spoiler]

I'm really getting to feel like Kyon when watching all those episodes, which is probably exactly what the creators intended, and therefore pretty awesome. Plus, they didn't (as far as I could see) reuse ANY shot at all through those episodes, and the voiceovers are also new all the time with subtle nuances.

If any other series tried to do something like this, there would probably be an outrage, but with Haruhi, it's somehow awesome.

P.S. If anyone is interested I found a rather cool wiki with online translations of the novels, gonna start reading there after work today :D
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I wanted to see what Blue Gender was like, so I started watching it after I had finished downloading it, and now I'm hooked. I've now seen the first eleven episodes, and I'm really enjoying the SciFi horror/thriller elements so far. I guess I'll go ahead and finish it before starting Casshern. I can always watch Casshern after I finish Blue Gender, and then it's back to Gundam! As far as that goes, I still need to watch Turn A, Gundam Seed, and Seed Destiny, and that's all I have left to watch for Gundam anime. ;)
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Starnum wrote:I wanted to see what Blue Gender was like, so I started watching it after I had finished downloading it, and now I'm hooked. I've now seen the first eleven episodes, and I'm really enjoying the SciFi horror/thriller elements so far. I guess I'll go ahead and finish it before starting Casshern. I can always watch Casshern after I finish Blue Gender, and then it's back to Gundam! As far as that goes, I still need to watch Turn A, Gundam Seed, and Seed Destiny, and that's all I have left to watch for Gundam anime. ;)

Whats good about it ? What kind of sci-fi is it ?

There has been a lack of good sf anime,manga to me for a while.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well basically it takes place in the near future, where giant bug-like creatures have taken over the Earth, and humanity has had to escape to a space station in outer space to survive. Meanwhile, when they are on earth, they fight the bug-like creatures with mecha called, Armor Shrikes. The Armor Shrikes are only like 3 or 4 meters tall, so they're not real big like a Gundam or anything. The show has a lot of horror themes too, which I really enjoy. The eerie music, the mood, the setting, the crazy bug creatures eating people and/or getting blown to bits by the Armor Shrikes, it all makes for a pretty interesting SciFi horror/thriller. Anybody want to add anything to that?
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

What I really liked about Blue Gender was a totally realistic approach to mecha.
Not a "fairly realistic" approach like the ones from some of the Gundam series, or FMP (which relies heavily on Applied Phlebotinum), but a truly realistic approach.
The Mobile suits (or mechanic exoskeletons, whichever term you prefer) they use are treated the same way you would treat a tank, they are merely a piece of equipment.
I couldn't stop thinking of them as "Humvees with arms and legs", and that's a good thing.
Another thing I consider worth mentioning is how well it was depicted the way a purely scientific-military society (confined to an isolated, extremely small habitat, such as the set of space-stations they lived in) would view things such as sex and modesty.

While I normally consider the notion of "Gaia" as pseudo-theological ambientalist bull crap, I liked the way it was presented in this series. As ludicrous and nonsensical as it is, it was fun to hear them explaining that, from the point of view of a sentient earth, we would be considered the ultimate parasite. Resilient, adaptable, ruthless, egoistical and, above all things, armed with a will to survive totally unparalleled by any other living creature.

[spoiler]And the best part?
We won. We imposed our will on Gaia, forcing it to show us a way to coexist with it.[/spoiler]

PS: Just finished watching Gokusen. Ugh.
On a brighter note, I just finished watching the first episode of "Coyote Ragtime Show", and it was really fun.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Rolos wrote:What I really liked about Blue Gender was a totally realistic approach to mecha.
Not a "fairly realistic" approach like the ones from some of the Gundam series, or FMP (which relies heavily on Applied Phlebotinum), but a truly realistic approach.
The Mobile suits (or mechanic exoskeletons, whichever term you prefer) they use are treated the same way you would treat a tank, they are merely a piece of equipment.

One thing I should mention, "Mobile Suit" refers only to mecha in Gundam anime. That term is specific to Gundam. That's why I just call them mecha, unless it's a robot from Gundam, then it's okay to call it an MS. Sorry, just needed to mention that. ;)

Yeah, I'm just now seeing what things are like on Earth 2 (the aforementioned space station from Blue Gender), and it is pretty interesting to see how they live. It's too militant for me though. I'd almost rather live on Earth with the bugs, rather than having my entire existence regulated by a group of self-righteous tight assess. :P
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Starnum wrote:
Rolos wrote:What I really liked about Blue Gender was a totally realistic approach to mecha.

One thing I should mention, "Mobile Suit" refers only to mecha in Gundam anime. That term is specific to Gundam. That's why I just call them mecha, unless it's a robot from Gundam, then it's okay to call it an MS. Sorry, just needed to mention that. ;)
I disagree. They may have been the first ones to call them that way, but that doesn't meant the terms belongs exclusively to them.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Rolos wrote:
Starnum wrote:

I disagree. They may have been the first ones to call them that way, but that doesn't meant the terms belongs exclusively to them.
Uh, if you say so, but I don't really consider it to be a subjective term. No other anime refers to their mecha as "mobile suits", except Gundam. In every other mecha anime, they come up with their own names for what the mecha are called. A lot of people have taking to calling mecha, mobile suits, but I don't think that has any bearing on the fact that it's a Gundam specific term. Sorry, It's just a nerdy pet peeve of mine, like when I hear someone mispronounce a character's name, so I had to mention it. You can use the term as you like, but I've never agreed with changing the meaning or origin of a term just because a lot of people start using it differently. Like the word "otaku", which is originally meant to have kind of a negative connotation, and isn't anime specific. I don't fancy myself an "otaku", even though I am an anime otaku *sigh*. I don't think the meaning of a term should change just because a lot of people misunderstood it and began using it incorrectly, or out of place. Just like with the phrase "jumping the shark". People use it so much without knowing how or where it originated from, that it loses its original connotation. So for me, MS will always be a Gundam exclusive term.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Starnum wrote:
Uh, if you say so, but I don't really consider it to be a subjective term. No other anime refers to their mecha as "mobile suits", except Gundam. In every other mecha anime, they come up with their own names for what the mecha are called. A lot of people have taking to calling mecha, mobile suits, but I don't think that has any bearing on the fact that it's a Gundam specific term. Sorry, It's just a nerdy pet peeve of mine, like when I hear someone mispronounce a character's name, so I had to mention it. You can use the term as you like, but I've never agreed with changing the meaning or origin of a term just because a lot of people start using it differently. Like the word "otaku", which is originally meant to have kind of a negative connotation, and isn't anime specific. I don't fancy myself an "otaku", even though I am an anime otaku *sigh*. I don't think the meaning of a term should change just because a lot of people misunderstood it and began using it incorrectly, or out of place. Just like with the phrase "jumping the shark". People use it so much without knowing how or where it originated from, that it loses its original connotation. So for me, MS will always be a Gundam exclusive term.

A mobile suit is, well, a suit thats mobile. You wear it, and it moves as you command.
Its different from a "power suit" in that a "power suit" cannot move on its own,it's purpose is to enhance your movements, while the Mobile suit is a full-fledged vehicle, capable of moving on its own, needing you only for directions.
I'm pretty sure the term existed before Gundam.
Since it cant be called a robot (robots, or automatons, are autonomous), and a "robotic suit" could be used to describe both a "power suit" and a "mobile suit", science fiction writers probably invented each term long before anime even existed.
Even if the the creators of Gundam did invent the term, well, kudos for them, they invented a term that can help sci-fi writers (or the military) make a clear distinction between two different kinds of equipment.
I am trying to look at it the way I would look real-life military gear. Of course, different models would receive different names.
My point is that, much like the modern AK or M series are all referred to as "assault rifles", the GKGnG or MzNgR series (lame pun intended) would be referred to as "mobile suits", and the Strshp-Trupr or GoW series would be referred to as "power suits".
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Rolos wrote:A mobile suit is, well, a suit thats mobile. You wear it, and it moves as you command.
Its different from a "power suit" in that a "power suit" cannot move on its own,it's purpose is to enhance your movements, while the Mobile suit is a full-fledged vehicle, capable of moving on its own, needing you only for directions.
Well, MS, and most mecha for that matter, can't move on their own. They can only move when a pilot is controlling it. Much like how a car cannot move without a driver. Anyway, it's whatever, but I'm pretty sure Gundam coined the term mobile suits. As much as the mecha in Blue Gender are called Armor Shrikes, or the mecha in Zone of the Enders are called Orbital Frames, or as the mecha in Evangelion or called Evas, and in Betterman the mecha are actually called Neuronoids, heh. I could go on and on, but I think you get my point. Suffice to say, when you say mobile suit, people know what you're talking about; mecha, or in laymans terms, giant robots! Call them whatever you like, they're awesome, and I think some day we might actually start making and mass producing them. I can only hope to live to see the day. Of course they would be small, with limited mobility, at first. However, in time, who knows what we could accomplish with science and technology. Of course, that's given to the idea that we would pursue such a path for military combat. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen, if a real mecha were created.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Wikipedia wrote:The distinction between true mecha and their smaller cousins (and likely progenitors), the powered armor suits, is blurred; according to one definition, a mecha is piloted while a powered armor is worn.
Probably its just me, but I've always thought the term "mecha" is a little retarded.
The term comes from the word "mechanic" for fuck's sake!
Thats why I prefer terms such as "Mobile suit" or " Humanoid-Robotic Vehicle (HRV)".

The main difference between MS (Mobile Suit) and PS (Power Suit) would be that one is meant to "reinforce" the soldier, while the other is a vehicle, a unit on it's own, like a tank. You wear one, you pilot (drive)the other.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I don't think mecha is retarded sounding at all, and that's generally the accepted term for giant robots. You can call them whatever you like, though mobile suit is a specific term. It's even in the title of most of the shows, including the original "Mobile Suit Gundam". That's pretty obvious if you ask me. It's a more widely known and synonymous term, that's all. Even the sound of it brings to mind the idea of mecha, so I understand where you're coming from. It just sounds like something you'd naturally refer to mecha as, so I follow you there too. That's why you don't hear people referring to mecha as Guymelefs (Escaflowne), or Aestivalis (Nadesico). Every anime has it's own name for what mecha are called, and of course then there are different types of said mecha, each with their own model name and such. Heck, you can even just call them giant robots, or armor machines, or mobile weapons. It doesn't really matter I guess. Anyway, I'm well aware of the difference between mecha and powered suits. Yes, mecha are piloted, and powered suits are worn. A good example of a powered suit, IMO, is Tekkaman Blade. Another cool anime that I enjoyed. If you haven't already seen it, I recommend it. ;)
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Starnum wrote:I don't think the meaning of a term should change just because a lot of people misunderstood it and began using it incorrectly, or out of place. Just like with the phrase "jumping the shark". People use it so much without knowing how or where it originated from, that it loses its original connotation. [/color]
Alas, that's what the mainstream of people does. Best example, the word Irony. Worst examples of irony: http://www.cracked.com/funny-1085-irony/
People use the word irony like it means everything from something being kinda funny, kinda witty, or unexpected, or pretty much whatever today. While the word itself still has only one meaning. But that one meaning it really has doesn't get applied to the word in like 99% of the times it is used.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Aetherfukz wrote:
Starnum wrote:I don't think the meaning of a term should change just because a lot of people misunderstood it and began using it incorrectly, or out of place. Just like with the phrase "jumping the shark". People use it so much without knowing how or where it originated from, that it loses its original connotation. [/color]
Alas, that's what the mainstream of people does. Best example, the word Irony. Worst examples of irony: http://www.cracked.com/funny-1085-irony/
People use the word irony like it means everything from something being kinda funny, kinda witty, or unexpected, or pretty much whatever today. While the word itself still has only one meaning. But that one meaning it really has doesn't get applied to the word in like 99% of the times it is used.
All I know is that Alanis Morrisette is a linguistic genius when it comes to song writing.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

The Prince wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:
All I know is that Alanis Morrisette is a linguistic genius when it comes to song writing.
:lol:

That was just too evil...

PS: Its just that I can't imagine an actual member of the military saying "Sir, the scouts report the enemy has three mecha and one tank!"

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! *gasps for air* The "9 Words That Don't Mean What You Think" article was fucking hilarious...I thought I was going to die....I couldn't stop laughing....heh...heh....this place is awesome....

About the MS thing. I just want you all to imagine, for a short while, that "mecha", as a genre, doesn't exist.

I was just saying that, in such a scenario, the term mobile suit would be likely to be used. Why? Because the name itself implies that it's a self-propelled piece of machinery, a vehicle, in opposition to the PS, which merely reinforces already existing movements.
And thats why I prefer to use that term. I just don't like the term "mecha".
I'm not sure why, it just pisses me off.

PS2: The existence of Alanis Morrisete is the greatest cosmic Irony.
Last edited by Rolos on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

"Sir, the enemy has one Knightmare Frame, two Mobile Suits, a Space Marine in Power Armor, an undisclosed pristine humongous mecha, a Spider Tank, some guys with more Dakka, a couple of Arm Slaves, and what appears to be a Ganmen coming at us! Oh crap, take cover boys, here comes their Macross Missile Massac... (static)"

P.S. Alanis Morissette is god (even if she doesn't really know what ironic means :D)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Rolos wrote:About the MS thing. I just want you all to imagine, for a short while, that "mecha", as a genre, doesn't exist.

I was just saying that, in such a scenario, the term mobile suit would be likely to be used. Why? Because the name itself implies that it's a self-propelled piece of machinery, a vehicle, in opposition to the PS, which merely reinforces already existing movements.
And thats why I prefer to use that term. I just don't like the term "mecha".
I'm not sure why, it just pisses me off.
Yeah, I get what you mean man. However, this is an anime forum, so generally we're talking about anime. It's just that when referring to anime, I'm going to call them mecha, because that's the general term. I don't understand your disdain for the word, but it's whatever really. I've already made my point, so no need to go on about that, and as I've said, I do understand where you're coming from. Even though the term mobile suit comes from Gundam, it does sound like something that would likely be used to refer to mecha. The name itself does imply as much. Heh, I'm sure that's what they were going for.
Aetherfukz wrote:"Sir, the enemy has one Knightmare Frame, two Mobile Suits, a Space Marine in Power Armor, an undisclosed pristine humongous mecha, a Spider Tank, some guys with more Dakka, a couple of Arm Slaves, and what appears to be a Ganmen coming at us! Oh crap, take cover boys, here comes their Macross Missile Massac... (static)"
:lol:
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Starnum wrote:Well basically it takes place in the near future, where giant bug-like creatures have taken over the Earth, and humanity has had to escape to a space station in outer space to survive. Meanwhile, when they are on earth, they fight the bug-like creatures with mecha called, Armor Shrikes. The Armor Shrikes are only like 3 or 4 meters tall, so they're not real big like a Gundam or anything. The show has a lot of horror themes too, which I really enjoy. The eerie music, the mood, the setting, the crazy bug creatures eating people and/or getting blown to bits by the Armor Shrikes, it all makes for a pretty interesting SciFi horror/thriller. Anybody want to add anything to that?

It does sound like a dream for SF fan in me. I dig anything mecha and sf/horror is a great genre blend. Alien,I Am Legend and co are a combo the best genres to me.

I was looking for a new anime. Since i didnt read as much manga as before watching anime except my longtime fav Major didnt seem fun.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Libaax wrote:It does sound like a dream for SF fan in me. I dig anything mecha and sf/horror is a great genre blend. Alien,I Am Legend and co are a combo the best genres to me.

I was looking for a new anime. Since i didnt read as much manga as before watching anime except my longtime fav Major didnt seem fun.
I think you'd like it then. You should totally check it out. Rolos is totally right about the mecha too. They're more realistic feeling than most other mecha shows. They even kind of remind me of the mecha in "Alien" a bit, only with a little more design detail. The show also has a similar feel as the "Alien" movies, so I bet you'd really like it. ;)
dart3123
imanewbie

Post by dart3123 »

i admit i liked elfen lied alot, and berserk is the absolute shit, so i dont have any problems here :D, even though the plot was pretty fucked in elfen lied.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

woot! original X-Men cartoon ... wait that's not an anime. :shock:I still love it though.

Okay, what's an anime thing I'm into ... oh yeah I finally finished my DBZ collection! I now have all 9 seasons on DVD! But I must first finish off with my essays and shit before letting myself get sucked into the DBZ vortex
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I'm watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann for the second time now. Love it even more this time around. There are so much little details I didn't recognize at my first viewing. Like when the Dai-Gurren loses his little external... um... firing bridge thingy... that dangles between the legs of the colossus, all the guys on the real bridge shriek and hold their balls. All of them besides Leeron. Then when Simon inserts his drill into what can only be described as the "exhaust port" of the Dai-Gurren to get it up to the water surface, Leeron is the only person on board to shriek and jump up from his seat. Talk about innuendo :P
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Anyone watching Canaan, Guin Saga ?

Guin Saga specially interesting since its a famous fantasy series of 30 years and i have heard Muira was inspired or liked it as young or something.

Very Conan-esqe.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Libaax wrote:Anyone watching Canaan, Guin Saga ?
Guin Saga specially interesting since its a famous fantasy series of 30 years and i have heard Muira was inspired or liked it as young or something.

Very Conan-esqe.
Sounds intriguing.

Oh and, Haruhi, oh Haruhi, S2 08. God dammit. I mean I get it, being stuck in a time loop sucks. But having the viewer watch pretty much exactly the same events for 7 consecutive episodes? At least between the first and second loop-episodes there was a difference in that they didn't get a clue about the loop itself in the very first one, but from then on each and every episode plays out the same - even if it's all new animation and a very few subtle differences. But still. By the time now it's really nothing more than an overly long gag.

And while it still may work for TV airings (I eagerly await each weeks episode even if I by now know that nothing special will happen), it will completely SUCK for the dvd set. I occasionally watch 1 or 2 Haruhi episodes from the first season set, because they all are awesome. But season 2? I can't think I will watch ALL those time loop episodes on DVD again, because they are - if you discount the (very) subtle differences - pretty much one and the same episode.

FMA2 18 was awesome though, and I kinda like the latest Bleach filler. Who would have thought Byakkuas Zanpaktou would look like a completely badass Samurai?
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I still think the animated version of the endless eight arc can only be described as a fit of pure genius from the part of the creators.

Regarding the DVDs, I was thinking the exact same thing. They couldn't possibly sell. So I am trying to think of this whole season as one created while guided solely by the desire to make a good series. If thats not their motivation, that would mean- no, that cant be. It just cant.
The alternative is just too horrible, I cant face it. Not without losing what little faith I still have in humanity.

PD: Just Finished watching Coyote Ragtime Show. It was fun, but thats about it. Not the kind of thing you would go out of your way to get.

I am going to watch Shakugan no Gana now, but I'm not expecting much.
~Diogenes of Sinope