Currently Watching?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Re: Currently Watching?

Post by The Herald »

My friend (who oddly enought was a straight dude) recommended, and I'm watching it just to placate him.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Dude, that has happened to me and it sucks! Does he insist on how good the series is whenever he asks you whether you have watched it?
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I saw the first few episodes of Suzuka at a convention and I thought it was kind of dumb, I don't like those stereotypical high school animes, well, because my high school experience was nothing like that (mostly because I'm Canadian and went to a coed school that didn't have uniforms, but also because I live in the real world). Anyways, its bound to happen if you're friends with people who like anime. I love Berserk, he hates it. I hate Last Exile, he loves it. But we both agree on Gantz and Avatar (granted, the latter isn't techincally anime).
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Have any of you seen the first 4 episodes that aired of Haruhi season 2? The first episode was really awesome, but episode 2-4 are pretty much the same,
[spoiler]Because they all are stuck in a timeloop that lasts 2 weeks and then resets again. According to Yuki they've done the loop around 16 thousand times now. While certainly a nice plot, it played out like this in the episodes: Episode 2, they have no clue about the time loop, but experience some deja vu. Episode 3 they get a clue and realize they are in a timeloop that will only stop once haruhi is satisfied with the 2 weeks. At the end Kyon realizes he has to so SOMETHING, but doesn't know what, and the episode ends on the last day of the loop. Episode 4 is the loop again, with some slight differences, they get the clue again that they are stuck in a loop, but at the end Kyon realizes again that he has to do something but doesn't know what. The episode again ends on the last day of the loop, with nothing changed.[/spoiler]

It certainly is a nice plot twist. And kudos to the production company for NOT reusing any shot at all over the 3 episodes. Character even wear different clothes and scenes play out a little different each time. But still, I REALLY hope that the next episode will break the loop, [spoiler]because while in Ep3 they recognized the loop (what they didn't in Ep2), Ep4 basically is EXACTLY the same as Ep3 from a plot point of view.[/spoiler]

Still, its Haruhi and Kyon is just the best narrator ever, so I love it.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Is the second season already being aired? Holy shit!
Downloading....

Edit: Already watched the first 4 episodes too.
What can I say, I'm surprised.......and I shouldn't be surprised, I read the light novels. :shock:
It was a pretty bold move, to do it like that. I expected it so end sooner, but apparently whoever directs the series is confident of it's power to grab (and keep) the viewer's attention.
Kyon is teh shit, best protagonist ever.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

OMG G-Bits are insane!
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I finally started watching avatar and I'm watching Valkyria Chronicles. I think its doing a good job so far of following the game and spicing it up at the same time.
"Context is for Kings"
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I am downloading episode 5 of Haruhi S2 right now, but from what I read in the preview...
[spoiler]They are STILL stuck in the time loop at the end of the episode... damn. How long will this go on?[/spoiler]
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Paprika is fucked up, but I enjoyed it.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I finished Gundam X, and I thought it was pretty cool. I especially liked the ending. Oh, and did I mention that G-Bits are insane! Who needs funnels when you can have G-Bits, lol. Seriously though, that's a crazy ass concept, IMO. I can't believe I didn't think of it myself. Whoever came up with that is a genius. :P
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Starnum wrote:I finished Gundam X, and I thought it was pretty cool. I especially liked the ending. Oh, and did I mention that G-Bits are insane! Who needs funnels when you can have G-Bits, lol. Seriously though, that's a crazy ass concept, IMO. I can't believe I didn't think of it myself. Whoever came up with that is a genius. :P
Whats a G-bit?

Pd: I started Watching Desert Punk. Its funny, yeah, but so far it hasn't lived up to my expectations.
Also, I just finished downloading Ebischu.
~Diogenes of Sinope
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

1. I now have undying love and respect for you Starnum because you watched and liked Gundam X, my favorite Gundam (plus you like DBZ, which is awesome).

2. What is a G-bit?

3. Desert Punk is only funny in English, its not worth watching in Japanese. Even people I know who are Japanese agree that the English is better. And trust me, it gets better, one of the best endings in anime IMO, and that's all I'll say.

[spoiler]And all those silly dreams in spanish, that's too funny. As for the ending, my favorite part was how Kanta became an agent for the government, what a great twist.[/spoiler]
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

You don't remember the G-Bits, Herald? Okay, well I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so if want to know what they are, read the spoiler tag.

[spoiler]Basically G-Bits are like automated mobile suits that are controlled by a single Newtype, using the Flash System. If you know what funnels and bits are, imagine that concept, only instead of a funnel it's an actual mobile suit! Bits and funnels are newtype weapons. Basically they're these things that come out of, or off of the Newtype's MS, and then they fly around and shoot beams at shit, and the Newtype controls them with their mind. Well G-Bits, also known as MS-Bits, are actual mobile suits that a Newtype can use as if they were bits or funnels. So you've got a single pilot flying around controlling like 10 MS at once. Heh, you've got to admit, that's pretty impressive. The MS-Bits are just regular MS, but the G-Bits that Jamil used in the war to destroy the colonies were actual Gundams! Can you imagine fighting a single Newtype, who's controlling 10 X Gundams all at once, and they all have a satellite cannons! That's crazy.[/spoiler]
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Just finished watching Desert Punk. It was good. I especially liked how it was constantly changing it own "moral" level.
Whenever you think you have figured out where they stand in the "Idealism vs Cynicism" scale, the next scene proves you completely wrong. I liked that.
At one point, through the way the "camera" followed the fights, I concluded that no one was going to be killed on-screen. Then they went and showed someone get his head blown to bits.
It was hilarious.
Also, the protagonist is just incredible. Look up the expression "magnificent bastard" in a dictionary and you'll find a photo of the little runt raping, killing and stealing something, all this while displaying a smile so bright you cant stop wondering whether what he's doing is really evil.
The guy's the incarnation of all whats wrong in his world, and I simply couldn't stop loving his every action because of that.
The lat part, however, wasn't much of my liking. What was the deal with switching so much focus towards the little pink-haired chick (not that kind of pink haired chick)?

EDIT: Just checked the English dub. I have to disagree with you Herald, It sucks. Their voices are nothing like what they are meant to be!
~Diogenes of Sinope
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Starnum: Man you are into the whole Newtype thing with Gundam X, I'm impressed. I was more into the whole morality of whether it should be used or not in regards to Tifa. The romance between Tifa and Garroad was cute, a lot more appropriate for their age compared to what we see in Seed, and even Wing. Plus Witts was too funny, always freaking out on everyone, but his marriage to the blonde girl was kinda outta left field. Jamil is still my favorite, and I like how this is like the only Gundam that's got adult characters, all the others are so centered on tiny annoying kids, that even bugged me when I was 15.

Rolos: Well, I'll guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because I've watched both jap and eng dub and i like the eng dub the best. And yes, Kanta is fucking amazing, why do you think I cosplayed as him twice? And if I might say that helmet is fucking hot inside when you don't have a coolant. Now all I need is a Junko and I'll be set.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well the way they handle Newtypes in Gundam X is unlike any other series. The morality behind the use of Newtypes is the biggest issue in the show. Don't think that was lost on me. I found it to be very interesting, especially the stuff with D.O.M.E. at the end. I just think the concept of G-Bits itself is pretty crazy. Also, how much U.C. Gundam have you seen? There are plenty of adults in the original continuity. There are always kid pilots like Amuro, Kamille, and Judau, but the military is always comprised of adults like Bright, Char, Ramba Ral, Jerid, Scirocco, Haman Khan, and so on. Generally there are more adult pilots than kids, It's just that the main Gundam pilot is usually a 15 year-old kid, but that's never bothered me.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Anything is better than Seed, the half assed Macross imitation that it was. I really do need to watch UC, which one should I start with?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I haven't seen Seed yet, but I've heard about how bad it is. I plan on watching it, but I'm not really looking forward to it. If you haven't watched any UC Gundam yet, you should definitely start from the beginning. So watch Mobile Suit Gundam. If you don't feel like watching the entire TV Show, there is also the movies, which is all the essential story from the TV show in 3 movies, and each one is around 2+ hours long. I've seen both, and I think either way is good for getting the Original Mobile Suit Gundam story. After that, just watch them in order. You could also just skip to Zeta Gundam, and then Double Zeta Gundam. I didn't watch them all in order, but it helps. Just make sure to watch Zeta before ZZ Gundam, and ZZ Gundam before Char's Counterattack. Don't forget to watch V Gundam though, that's my favorite of the UC Gundams. There's also some other shows like "Stardust Memory", "8th MS Team", "War in the Pocket". Those come before Zeta Gundam and after First Gundam. I watched them before Zeta Gundam, and they're each not that long. I watched Victory Gundam before Zeta, and ZZ though, even though it's the last one in the continuity. So if you want to know how all the shows go in order of the timeline (not the order they were made), then it's something like this.

"Original" Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 8th MS Team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (Double Zeta)
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (Movie)
Crossbone Gundam (Manga) (Also the sequel to Gundam F91)
Victory Gundam

I just wrote all of that for the hell of it, and because I felt like it. Hopefully I didn't forget anything. Anyway, you may as well watch them all in order, or at least start with First Gundam and then skip to Zeta, but they're all good. My top 3 are: V Gundam, Zeta Gundam, and First Gundam (aka Original Mobile Suit Gundam). Like I said though, they're all good. UC Gundam isn't like the other Gundam shows that don't follow the original continuity. Most of this stuff is written by Tomino, and that guy is a genius. He has a way of presenting war, and I know that he's a big history buff. UC Gundam is like a really good war movie. Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

nerd.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The Prince wrote:nerd.
Your face.

Yes, I'm a huge nerd. Thank you, oh great "Master of the Obvious". :P

This coming from the guy with the avatar of a character from Voltron (Actually called GoLion in Japan. Voltron is a horrible butchery of a bastardization of GoLion. Just watch GoLion. Not that I've ever actually watched any of it, I just happen to know that. *sigh* I'm such a nerd. At least I don't act like it in public though. There's not like a lot of people I can talk to about anime all the time, so I have to get it out of my system somewhere. :P)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:
The Prince wrote:nerd.
Your face.

Yes, I'm a huge nerd. Thank you, oh great "Master of the Obvious". :P

This coming from the guy with the avatar of a character from Voltron (Actually called GoLion in Japan. Voltron is a horrible butchery of a bastardization of GoLion. Just watch GoLion. Not that I've ever actually watched any of it, I just happen to know that. *sigh* I'm such a nerd. At least I don't act like it in public though. There's not like a lot of people I can talk to about anime all the time, so I have to get it out of my system somewhere. :P)
I know all about GoLion. My bestest christmas present EVER came when I was 5, and my dad got me the official Godaiken GoLion set from a dealer he found in Fort Lee New Jersey. Back in the day, the Voltron toy for some reason never provided his weapons in the US. But the Bandai version sure did.

Yeah...well I digress.....Quit badmouthing Voltron and my Avatar!
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, I'm not bad-mouthing. I'm just calling you a teapot. :lol:

*edit*

I guess I should finally finish Eureka Seven, yeah...
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Starnum wrote: I guess I should finally finish Eureka Seven, yeah...
Yeah you really should :P

And Bleach 227, meeeeeeh. At least they could have made a funny filler but that was just completely boring. Hope it doesn't last to long.

I also got Darker than Black a few days ago, watched the first ~10 episodes and I like it so much I watched till 2am yesterday again so I am sleep deprived the whole day today again :D

Also, eventually finished Trigun on the weekend. Really nice and rather deep story for what I thought was pretty much a goofball anime. Vash is a suprisingly deep character.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I liked the music and animation in Eureka 7, but it jumped the shark so bad by the end.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Do you even know what that is?
Seriously, stop accusing series of jumping the shark when they are clearly not doing so.
~Diogenes of Sinope