Movies of ´09

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Re: Movies of ´09

Post by papasith »

dont forget the gi joe movie trailer, lol
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

papasith wrote:dont forget the gi joe movie trailer, lol
What the fuck was up with that?

I didn't even know it was G.I. Joe until after the title sequence came up.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Terminator.

Up will be, of course, the best movie this year.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Loeviz wrote:The new Star Trek movie whoop the newest Star Wars movies a**.
I´m looking forward until the sequal comes out.
Yeah, watched Star Trek yesterday and it was freaking awesome. All in all a REALLY good movie, and true to the characters (and the actors were awesome, especially "Eomer" Karl Urban).
The next Star Trek with these actors and timeline is supposed to hit in 2011 according to wikipedia.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Netflix owns ur s0ul$.

No seriously. I just subscribed to netflix and im watching movies through my xbox. Its pretty rad.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

My roommate had the Netflix subscription.

He got bored of it and cancelled it after a few months.

Listen.

I got a stripper's phone number last night.

I don't know how the fuck that happened.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Femto wrote:My roommate had the Netflix subscription.

He got bored of it and cancelled it after a few months.

Listen.

I got a stripper's phone number last night.

I don't know how the fuck that happened.
Is that what you're doing now that you're unemployed?
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

War Machine wrote:Is that what you're doing now that you're unemployed?
Please check out my unemployment thread to find out about my sad state of life.

Cheers.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Terminator Salvation was pretty good, totally trumped the last one. Christian Bale was a good John Connor, but I liked the teen Kyle Reese character a lot too. Though, the same actor was great in Star Trek as the Russian kid. Anyways, have anyone else heard the rumor that Christian Bale might play Solid Snake in the MGS movie? He'd make a great Snake. He's just scooping up all of the big roles for action stars, but he can do it because he's not a brain dead macho man like Matthew McConaughey (wow that's a hard name to spell, don't even care if I got it right). Though I'd like to see him in deeper roles. Don't get me wrong, for action roles he's picking some real doozies, but it would be nice to see him in a drama, and not a wierd one like Rescue Dawn or The Machinist.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Up was a perfect movie.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Up was absolutely amazing. It made you run the entire spectrum of emotions at points, and had a very creative premise.

I would have preferred if it was a bit less predictable, as you knew what the climax would be like pretty much as soon as the movie starts.

It really seems Pixar can't miss when it comes to making well reviewed movies.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Which parts in particular did you think were predictable?

I mean, was it a "the good guys win" prediction or something more specific?

I wouldn't say that I film like Up needs to be commended for its crazy twists and turns plotwise.

It's just brilliant, straightforward story telling.

My 4h favorite Pixar film after The Incredibles, Monster's Inc. and Wall-E.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Basically the only thing I found too predictable was:

[spoiler]They lay a nice back story in the beginning for the explorer who was stripped of his title, and vowed to return one day with the bird alive. From that point on you can pretty much guess that they'll run into him in South America, and he'll become the main antagonist.[/spoiler]

Now I can't think of anyway in particular that they could have avoided this part of the plot, as they couldn't just have him show up and suddenly become the villain.

Nevertheless, a great movie.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I recognized him from the trailer so that was a non-issue for me.

I'm going to see it again without the 3D.

Some people have been complaining about the tinted glasses killing some of the color vibrancy/saturation in the movie so I want to see how it compares.

And speaking of the 3D aspect of the movie, I think that the fact that, for most of the time, I didn't even realize the movie was in 3D means that the effect was unintrusive and, thus, successful.

I remember being pulled out of Coraline a couple of times because the 3D effect was so in your face.

I'm not sure how much it adds to the experience though.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I came into that movie late so I missed the whole explorer subplot. I liked Kevin a lot, she was cute. Plus I also came out of it wondering what my dog would say if she had a talking collar.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

JCVD - Available on DVD, best movie Van Damme has ever done, awesome on every level.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I was thinking about watching it. Are you serious, or are you being sarcastic. Are there any good action scenes, or is it all drama. Do we get to see JCVD do his iconic repeating flying kick scene. I could never figure out, when he does that, is it supposed to be mulitple flying kicks, or just one shown repeatedly from different angles, heh. Either way, it gets the job done.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

It's not an action movie in that there's a bad guy who took the girl, etc. It's a more serious drama about his life as Van Damme, aging action movie star. The movie starts with him having trouble working on B-movies just to keep his head afloat in spite of his aging and trying to catch a break with a movie that helps him get noticed again, on top of it all he's on a drawn out legal fight for custody of his child. After his legal team threatens to give up the fight if they don't get payed, Van Damme goes directly to the bank where he's thrown into a hostage situation.

It's not a typical movie in any sense, and I am being serious when I say it's Van Damme's greatest movie so far.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I don't know if I want to look at Jean-Claude Van Damme as the protagonist, because I know a woman who is one of his ex-wives and he was abusive. Also, oddly enough, my last employer who was a drycleaner and dealt with hotels and the room that had Van Damme was covered in used condoms. Gross, I'd say, not a conquest to be proud of, but at least he was safe, I guess. I don't like the guy. I'd rather watch an Arnie movie any day.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Herald wrote:I don't know if I want to look at Jean-Claude Van Damme as the protagonist, because I know a woman who is one of his ex-wives and he was abusive. Also, oddly enough, my last employer who was a drycleaner and dealt with hotels and the room that had Van Damme was covered in used condoms. Gross, I'd say, not a conquest to be proud of, but at least he was safe, I guess. I don't like the guy. I'd rather watch an Arnie movie any day.
I don't know the details of his personal life, but here's some insight you should note. Divorces are a pain in the ass for both parties and any one of them will say anything to get the biggest chunk of the money.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Coraline:

Just Wow, this movie blew my mind. This is without a doubt the best movie I´ve ever seen (Ever going to see?).
Everyone must see this piece of art, its just incredible in every kind of way.

Ok so I saw it while on shrooms but even if it intensified everything ten fold its still a kick-ass of a movie.
I´m going to buy this on, DvD, Blu-ray hell whatever it will come out on.

Cant even try to describe this just must see it to believe it.

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I watched JCVD the other night, it was pretty good. Couldn't help but shed a little man tear during the monologue too, heh. I'm sorry you've been type-casted your whole career VanDamme, but I still think some of his older action flicks are great movies. I've always been a big VanDamme fan. I loved his older movies like Bloodsport, Kickboxer, LionHeart, Hard Target, Nowhere to Run, Universal Soldier, all that good shit. They may have just been action flicks but you can tell the guy really does put a lot of heart into every role. XD
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

THE PROPOSAL was cute, and that's about it. In the early nineties Sandra Bullock did a similar fake engagement screwball called WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING, of which I own a copy (judge me all you like, I enjoy it, plus it's a pretty good Christmas movie) and it's a lot better. And, well, in the early nineties she was actually the right age for a romcom. Though, who do you think is cooler? Ryan Reynolds, aka Deadpool, or Bill Pullman, aka Lonestar from SPACEBALLS. I personally would rather watch Pullman, his voice is more interesting.
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

Transformers 2 was good. i dont want to spoil anything but the final fight seem anti climatic to me, but was still good. and im also glad hotrod was not in this movie...
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Drag me to Hell was a good movie even though you could figure out the ending pretty quick.
It was the same humour as it was in the Evil Dead movies, I missed Bruce Campbell :)

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

papasith wrote:Transformers 2 was good. i dont want to spoil anything but the final fight seem anti climatic to me, but was still good. and im also glad hotrod was not in this movie...
They made the movie a little too goofy, though.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!