Berserk 304 - Fissure

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

turkey
Found the Edit button

Re: Berserk 304 - Fissure

Post by turkey »

God I hope this dimension stuff in the diagram is not a taste of what is to come because I am already lost. I hope zodd and femto skull f**k the Skull Knight, and his horsey. and then maybe slan can come as Kraken and kill all those retards on the ship and then make sweet love to Gatts, against his will (of course) with the corpse of Caska.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Haha you're a funny bird.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
calvin
Flexing spam muscles

Post by calvin »

Istvan wrote:When making these theories, I think it's important to bear in mind that Griffith is unlikely (to say the least) to do anything that would make himself more vulnerable. So I think we can safely scrap most of those insane power-up ideas of what the merging will mean.
yeah, i agree, thats why i added the disclaimer. though, i think it's safe to assume that something will happen that not even Femto foresaw (i hope anyway).
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

calvin wrote:
Istvan wrote:When making these theories, I think it's important to bear in mind that Griffith is unlikely (to say the least) to do anything that would make himself more vulnerable. So I think we can safely scrap most of those insane power-up ideas of what the merging will mean.
yeah, i agree, thats why i added the disclaimer. though, i think it's safe to assume that something will happen that not even Femto foresaw (i hope anyway).
I think we can safely predict that something Femto doesn't predict will occur, namely some action(s) on the part of Guts. But I wouldn't predict that Griffith will make any sort of significant miscalculations on the results of one of his own plans, when that plan goes perfectly. It just doesn't seem likely to me.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

War Machine wrote:Direct Download now available in the same place as always:

http://berserk.kicks-ass.net/
Dude thank you so much for setting that up, I had lost all of my recent Berserk chapters when my computer crashed and I hadn't transferred them over to the external yet. I really appreciate it.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

No problem, glad I could help.
Istvan wrote:I think we can safely predict that something Femto doesn't predict will occur, namely some action(s) on the part of Guts. But I wouldn't predict that Griffith will make any sort of significant miscalculations on the results of one of his own plans, when that plan goes perfectly. It just doesn't seem likely to me.
Aye. In the golden age Griffith never screwed up any plan because he took everything into account, even Guts. Now that Griffith doesn't consider him to even be able to change anything, Griffith might get surprised when he does.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
KingFate
imanewbie

Post by KingFate »

Long time lurker here, just want to say thanks to you guys for translating Berserk. :D
This message is brought to you buy the Infrequent Posters Union.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I just had a thought from rereading the whole thing: Griffith might be becoming a good guy. Maybe he's a wolf in sheep's clothing, or maybe he had to do the evil thing (eclipse) so that he would have the power to destroy the horror that is ganishka. I doubt that was his motive, but it seems to be what is happening. I get that he's doing all this to make everyone love him and want to follow him, but I find myself liking him more every time I read through Berserk, which is disturbing to me. Yes Griffith did kill all these people who loved him and gave so much for him, which is terrible, and sacrifices shouldn't be justified. I'm trying to compare Guts and Griffith here really, and Guts has killed a lot of people that weren't 'evil', but a lot more that were. Actions speak louder than words, but both have a bottomless pile of skeletons in their closets. Man, I don't know anymore, I guess I'll still have to be on Guts' side because he's gone through so much to survive and without a lot of help, while Griffith had the Godhand rooting for him, so to speak ... I have a Berserk morality headache.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Just remind yourself that (from what we've seen) after every battle Griffith feeds the souls of the fallen to hell, and things will be a lot clearer for you, Herald. :)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I know, but he's just so damn pretty and almost everyone loves him :cry:
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

But what about Roderick? JK JK

Seriously, though, it's stuff like this that makes me believe that Griffith is such a villain. He has done many horrible things but he is able to hide it all underneath actions that make him seem like a good guy. When Guts eventually faces up against him, it will be him against all of Midland basically since nobody would ever believe that their "white hawk" is actually the dark one in the prophecy.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
turkey
Found the Edit button

Post by turkey »

I doubt a human army could stand up to Guts on a battlefield at this point. His abilities are superhuman. Even Griffith's apostle army might be a bit nervous, except for some of the stronger ones like Zodd.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

turkey wrote:I doubt a human army could stand up to Guts on a battlefield at this point. His abilities are superhuman.
Not really. An army could almost certainly take Guts down...eventually. Bear in mind, he is human, he does get tired, and armies are huge. It might take a while, and a truly phenomenal number of casualties, but an army would eventually wear down and kill Guts.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

dialdfordesi wrote:But what about Roderick?
imo it's 50/50 that roderick or serpico can be considered anti-griffith: serpico because he's got the moves and roderick because he's got the charisma ... but neither of them are evil.

Istvan wrote:
turkey wrote:I doubt a human army could stand up to Guts on a battlefield at this point. His abilities are superhuman.
Not really. An army could almost certainly take Guts down...eventually. Bear in mind, he is human, he does get tired, and armies are huge. It might take a while, and a truly phenomenal number of casualties, but an army would eventually wear down and kill Guts.
Do you mean Guts alone or Guts and his company? Because alone I agree with Istvan, but with his peeps he already has taken down an army, at the port in Vritanis. A little small for an army, but an army nonetheless. Plus now they got a warship on their side, for the time being, I'm sure that will help out some.
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

For some odd, uncanny reason I feel that Roderick is up to no good.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Facade19 wrote:For some odd, uncanny reason I feel that Roderick is up to no good.
I know how you feel, he doesn't have much of a story yet so his motivations seem questionable. But I think he'll be a good guy in the end.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Roderick is an intelligent, good intentioned, versatile young man, guided only by his dreams, duty and sense of morality. He is, without a doubt, one of the most balanced characters we have seen so far.

I think he's going to die.

Its going to be heroic, yet sad.
Of course, as sad as its going to be, it will be completely un-transcendental.
No one is going to even remember him three chapters after his demise, not even Farnese (I might be wrong here......its highly possible The Herald will mourn him for a whole year), except in case of a generic "all those lost on the way" flashback, in which a quick shot of him will be shown.

PD: The life of a secondary character sure does suck.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Well certainly if he keeps hanging around Guts that's rather likely. He's not bad with a sword, but (unless he gets some magic items of his own) he's not really good enough to survive if he keeps involving himself in the kind of fights Guts gets involved in. We'll have to wait and see, but I also doubt his continued survival.
turkey
Found the Edit button

Post by turkey »

Roderick doesn't seem to have alterior motives, and I don't think he will die, at least not yet anyway.

Miura seems to be making it a somewhat light mood and not so grim for the past while with Guts' journey. I think he might be holding out for something. We might even get a bit of peace in Elfhelm, to take us away from the Black Swordsmen of past. He may show us a side of Guts we don't normally see, then when we think all is right with the world, Miura will destroy it. Femto will come and ruin Guts life for a second time.

What do you all think will happen?
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

I think you have a hyper active mind. :D
What I really want deep down, like most of you, is that Miuara does not rush an ending.
Granted, he has been working on Berserk for a very long time and ought to bring some sort of closure and ending, but I just wish that it would not be too hasty and bitter.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I personally don't think that Roderick will die, at least not soon, because he had a whole chapter dedicated to him and his knowledge of naval warfare. Miura is not the kind of writer who does fanservice and I doubt that he put that whole ship battle in there just because it looks good. All I'm saying is that Roderick was given many interesting character building scenes, which then made him more important than many of the other minor characters in Berserk. At this point he's almost as important as Rickert once was, and then he came back to be Godo's apprentice. Honestly I think that Miura is trying to reconstruct the former band of the hawk that Guts was associated with in some form with his new group (ignoring Griffith's actual new band of the hawk), very sublty of course. Griffith and Guts both had different views of their comrades, and Guts' new group reflects how he viewed his old group. Isidro is like Corcus because he's always back talking, Serpico like Pippin because he rarely talks and takes care of everyone, Shierke like Rickert because she's the baby of the group, Farnese like Casca because she has to prove herself worthy, and Roderick like Judeau because he has an authoritative air about him without actually assuming it. And about the magical items: Isidro barely ever uses his flame dagger and Roderick could easily get a magic item on Skellig. Personally I think he's going to go back to Ys and be a diplomat to his father and try to get the Ys army to do something worthwhile, like staving off Griffith. And yes I do like Roderick, but I only discussed him more than other characters because he was newer and more interesting that Isidro or Serpico because he is so new. Magnifico on the other hand is just as new but not very interesting.

Also, do you think that when they get to Skellig that Hanafabuku will remove the curse of the brand from Guts, or do you think he'll want to keep it as his link to the astral world?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I would be shocked and amazed if Hanafabuku even can remove the brand. It's been mentioned before by Flora, that brand is amazingly high level magic, by beings that are incredibly deep in the Astral world. The elf king may be able to suppress the brand, but actually removing it is almost certainly out of the question.
turkey
Found the Edit button

Post by turkey »

I think that would be incredibly lame to have the band removed. I kind of think what might happen is Guts will have some kind of further transformation. It seems like it is the right time for this to occur, and by 'further transformation' I mean that he will take on new powers, making him more similiar to the SK.

I expect that by the next time him and Griffith meet he will have changed more from how he is right now. Maybe there will be a catch to unlocking Caska's memory in that Guts will have to sacrifice something for it to happen.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

like sacrificing his humanity so that she can regain hers, so to speak? yeah, I didn't think there'd ever be a way to remove the brand, just speculating.