Berserk Stupid theories

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

is this thread useful?

Yes
51%
No
15%
You should die Dark for reviving this shit
34%

Total votes: 248

Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Re: Berserk Stupid theories

Post by Istvan »

eldur wrote:In some way that kid is Caska, Gatts and Griffith son.
Well, that can be wrong if Griffith got his dikk cut off in that jail (yeah another treasure for that pervert). In that case the third parent is Femto, created with the blood of all the hawks....
Wait... In that case Caska got pregnant of ALL of the hawks DNA!!! So Judeau is still alive in this child!!!!!
Well if we're going with that, do you think the blood of the various demons who got killed during the Eclipse also went into the child?
eldur
notanewb

Post by eldur »

The apostles werent the sacrifice for the descent of Femto, so I think their blood has no meaning in that.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

eldur wrote:The apostles werent the sacrifice for the descent of Femto, so I think their blood has no meaning in that.
Maybe that's just a cover story, to keep the Apostles from realising that they, too, are part of the fuel to create a God's Hand member.
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

It's not a theroy but ... So what will become with Zodd? It seems that he fail as a bodyguard and as a butler also^^
eldur
notanewb

Post by eldur »

Now that you mention him, Zodd has become more humanized trough the manga. I hope Miura will reveal his story. Maybe he sacrificed his army mates, or his entire clan/tribe/family. Is he from king gaiseric times? Have any theory about this?
eldur
notanewb

Post by eldur »

Istvan, I've been thinking about the apostles blood. They have lost his humanity, plus they are mere pawns (usually told to do what they want, but now serving Femto/Griffith on earth). Their blood doesnt have the spiritual power that the hawks blood has for Griffith, since only the sacrifice of his comrades mean the lost of his soul and his birth as pure evil.

I like to think that apostles blood didnt contribute to Femto birth, but to the transformation of Gutts into a monster...
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

eldur wrote:Istvan, I've been thinking about the apostles blood. They have lost his humanity, plus they are mere pawns (usually told to do what they want, but now serving Femto/Griffith on earth). Their blood doesnt have the spiritual power that the hawks blood has for Griffith, since only the sacrifice of his comrades mean the lost of his soul and his birth as pure evil.
I actually agree with you, for these (and several other) reasons. I was mostly joking when I spoke of the Apostle's blood contributing to Femto's transformation.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Well, their blood was what made the DS capable of cutting through all kinds of beings, no matter what layer of existence they are from, so I guess you are right.

PD: I feel like such a spammer.....I have been throwing one-liners back and forth for 2 days in a row now. I am stopping now.

On a spam-related note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Well, their blood was what made the DS capable of cutting through all kinds of beings, no matter what layer of existence they are from, so I guess you are right.
More cutting through so many astral beings than their blood per se. After all, the thousands upon thousands of ghosts probably have as much (or more) to do with it as the (presumably) few dozen Apostles.
eldur
notanewb

Post by eldur »

Few dozen? I don't know the real number, but I bet it's been more than that, by far (and we won't know how many he killed in those 2 years between the eclipse and meeting with puck).
But yeah that fuking big sword has been cutting everything between the 2 planes/dimensions/worlds/whateveryouliketosay and maybe the brand helps it, in a way like 'Its a curse for you but to your enemies too'.

Yeah da supabrand! My girlfriend asked me to get a tatoo brand like Gutts one. Mmm and maybe I can ask her one like Caska... (Yes, I actually made my girlfriend a Berserk fan, YEAHH!)
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

Okay, this may be totally stupid and reaching but bear with me here.

I was rereading the Dark Horse volumes recently, and shortly after Guts first meets up with Schierke, she goes off about how it should have been impossible for a human with no magical backup to survive with the Brand for as long as he did. She later speculates that because he's been existing in the Interstice for so long, where "it's easy for the mind to affect matter," he has become "superhuman."

Essentially, because Guts BELIEVES that he has the power to face down these inhuman monsters, he DOES. This is different from the sort of magic practiced by witches like Schierke and Flora, which relies on the aid of spirits. Guts isn't invoking some greater power: the power lies in his will directly affecting his own strength, speed, etc. And doing so in the face of beings (Apostles, etc.) who are empowered directly by the incarnation of the will of mankind as a whole (the Idea of Evil). If true, that's no small feat.

Now, thus far, Guts has been doing this on an unconscious level. But if he could learn to consciously focus this ability, could it become more powerful? And if the physical world is overlapping with the astral more than ever before, could that make it more powerful still? Could THAT be what finally allows him to actually do some damage to the God Hand? Not turning their own power against them like Skull Knight tries to do, or invoking the aid of less dickish otherworldly beings like Flora and Schierke, but relying solely on his own willpower to shape himself and the world around him?
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Wow, in a world like that, my existential prowess would become a super power, that'd rock! You might actually be on to something, not a bad theory.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Using the ego as a weapon, Freud would love that. In Berserk that would actually work. And Guts has always been a hugely willful man. That's why Miura took 10 volumes to show his back story, so we'd know that. Plus the whole him loving Casca and hating Griffith, and why they are the way they are, but that's not really what this discussion is about.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Starnum wrote:Wow, in a world like that, my existential prowess would become a super power, that'd rock!
You gotta believe it though, any doubt and it doesn't work.

Anyway, I don't think the mind alone is what actualizes his super strength, because in that sense Adon would be a super soldier as well. Aside of the mind, I think it has to do with his placement outside causality. Taking the lost chapter into consideration, humans created the Idea of Evil who now rules over their existence, if Guts now lies outside causality and therefor the Idea of Evil's control, he could be brandishing the age old power of literal creativity (creativity that actually creates).
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

So we do consider the lost chapter as cannon? I thought Miura removed it because it screwed with how he wanted to tell the story, not just revealing too much at the beginning. It may be a totally different thing at this point, it's been a decade since he wrote that chapter. Writers change their mind. In any case, the way Miura has set up his world he's making it easy for characters within that world to predict or change their own futures, because of the whole causality thing. He does rely heavily on Newton's Laws.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Herald wrote:So we do consider the lost chapter as cannon? I thought Miura removed it because it screwed with how he wanted to tell the story, not just revealing too much at the beginning. It may be a totally different thing at this point, it's been a decade since he wrote that chapter. Writers change their mind. In any case, the way Miura has set up his world he's making it easy for characters within that world to predict or change their own futures, because of the whole causality thing. He does rely heavily on Newton's Laws.
For lack of a better alternative, it's alright to take it as cannon at least for now, just as long as you don't go too far with it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

Well didn't you heard about letter from Berserk publisher? I seen it on SK.net and i think it wasn't fake? Anyway check for yourself http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index. ... ic=9513.50
I think that wasn't mentioned here?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Yeah it was mentioned somewhere, I remember seeing it. Anyway, all he's saying about the lost chapter is that it was too revealing, but that doesn't mean he won't come back to it later or make a very similar idea from it, either way it's the closest thing we have to the overall story of Berserk.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Also it doesn't contradict anything we've seen since, and actually helps to explain a number of points, so until Miura says otherwise, I think it's fine to take it as cannon.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

IMO it was removed from circulation so that means that it is in fact not cannon. Indeed it had more information than Miura wanted to convey at the time, but maybe it wasn't absolutely the correct information as to the creation of the different worlds and all that. I'm not arguing that it's different or anything, but that it could be. I'm sure everything is very similar, but not exact to that lost chapter.
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

my opinion is we can assume its cannon, as long as we know its an assumption and Miura at any point in time can counterdict it, because we only assume its cannon until we know otherwise :D
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

There is one element of the Skull Night that really baffles me.
From what I understand, the Skull Night has the ability to cut through space and time and be at locations art precise moments.
During the eclipse in Volume 12 and 13, when Femto was born, could it be that the Skull Night purposefully did not rush to the rescue of Gutts and Casca before the rape of Casca in order to invoke in Gutts an unremetting hunger and desire for revenge? Zodd and Flora hinted that the Skull Night might want to lead Gutts to the path he himself is on. Was allowing the rape to occur a part of the potential plan? One other solution to this issue could be that maybe the Skull Night was too busy fighting Zodd who was guarding the Gate, but still, the Skull Night has the uncanny ability to appear at any moment he wishes. Could it really be the Skull Night did not intervene sooner on purporse to procure a Gutts who is infested with hatred towards the god hand?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The sword of resonance was not finished then. The first time he uses it is in Qluiploth (however you write it) several years after the eclipse. All he had was his regular sword and shield at his disposal, which weren't enough to get through Zodd in time to save anyone else but Guts and Caska.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

War Machine wrote:The sword of resonance was not finished then. The first time he uses it is in Qluiploth (however you write it) several years after the eclipse. All he had was his regular sword and shield at his disposal, which weren't enough to get through Zodd in time to save anyone else but Guts and Caska.
Exactly. If he'd had the sword of resonance he'd have used it on Void. From what we've seen he seems to have built the sword of resonance precisely to deal with Void's ability to bend space.
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

My apologies for lacking that known fact. Ah, now I seem foolish.
But there are two things developing in my head.
Bare with me please.
Is the Idea of Evil guiding Gutts, or is there another force guiding him (his ego)?
Because Flora in Volume 24 has stated that the "small wings" is guiding Gutts?
Is that small wings a higher power, or Gatts' ego?
Or is it the Idea of Evil manipulating all these events, even Femto's birth for another possibility, where Gatts' is the chosen one?
Could it be that the Idea of Evil is maturing Gatts', testing him to see whether he is worthy?
Or has Gatts' such a Big Will that it counteracts and so far competes with the Will of the collective subconscious, as represented in the Idea of Evil?
Dang it, Miura indeed created something that for me, is something Plato would surely have enjoyed. Though art, Berserk raises so many questions in the profoundest manners.