Berserk 302 - Soar

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

arke
Beware my tactical spam

Berserk 302 - Soar

Post by arke »

lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Re: Berserk 302 - Soar

Post by lon3vvolf »

6 months for this? I mean I appreciate all the nice artwork and what not... but its a bit of a let down.

However I think he took the time off to figure out how everything goes so hes got it all figured out which means further chapters should be coming along in a timely manner. At least I wish they do!
# Edit #
Is it me or does Zod look depressed?
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I personally really enjoyed that. But then I enjoy flying scenes and all that. Yes it seemed a little anti climactic for the wait and all, but Miura's got to keep the integrity of the thing. Plus I'm glad to see that Rakshas is back, even though he looks like a pimple ... And I don't think that Zodd looks depressed, just that in this chapter he's not the centre of focus, so he's out of focus in a way. In any case, even though he's a rapist and a bastard, this sort of thing makes me think Griffith's pretty awesome. And then I'm reminded that he's a Godhand, so something like this is kind of his way of asserting his authority, even though I'm pretty sure he does this to make the people love him as their new king, which was his goal since the beginning.

P.S. Thanks for the release EG guys.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

Thank you very much EG.
Though there was not much dialogue, I still enjoyed this release.
Nonetheless, the lack of any dialogue should not make us forget the work EG is doing! :)
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

It's too early to talk about things being anti-climatic. This is only the first chapter from his hiatus, give a few more chapters.

That said, I'm looking forward to hearing about Ganishka's back story. I'm hoping Miura sheds some light on why he's so much more powerful than most apostles (and that was before his new form).
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Thanks EG! As always, I really appreciate the work you do for us. :D
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I just want to remind people that they shouldn't post links from other groups or start a new thread. Really, it's annoying.

And what do people want Miura to do? Really, he has 18 pages to wow you, and if you aren't, that's fine. That's not a lot of page numbers to do some mind blowing stuff. Some people are just really hard to impress.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Nakadai
imanewbie

Post by Nakadai »

Thanks again EG!!!
Eldo wrote:I just want to remind people that they shouldn't post links from other groups or start a new thread. Really, it's annoying.

And what do people want Miura to do? Really, he has 18 pages to wow you, and if you aren't, that's fine. That's not a lot of page numbers to do some mind blowing stuff. Some people are just really hard to impress.
I don't feel its the content that's the issue, just the lack of updates. It's like watching paint dry waiting for new releases from Miura.
Infini-Tropolis.com
Matt
imanewbie

Post by Matt »

Thank you!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Direct download of this chapter is now available in the EG Vault:

http://berserk.kicks-ass.net/

Order the chapters by name and go to the last page to find the latest chapter. Thanks EG for the chapter, I'll read it later.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I just want to give a personal thanks to all of the regular forum members for all of their support and appreciation. It's nice to hear everyone's positive comments and support, especially in spite of the rudeness of the general n00bs. It's like, I don't enjoy being an ass and ranting about new threads and what-not, but as Eldo said, you really shouldn't post links to other people's scans of the same stuff we're doing. Like he said, it's like eating Burger King at a McDonald's, you just don't do it. It's bad form, and it's common sense. These people know they shouldn't do it, they either just don't care, or they're stupid. *shrugs*

Anyway, I enjoyed the new chapter. I can understand how it might seem a little dissappointing after such a long wait, but I agree with most of the others. It's the first chapter back from the hiatus, and I think that Miura was probably using the break to plan out what he's going to do next, so give it some time indeed. More than likely he's already written most of the stuff he had planned out, and now he's filling in the blanks till he gets to the ending, which he probably also has an idea about. Besides, with awesome art like this, what's to complain about. The story is still moving along, and he's got to keep it consistent. I think Berserk actually has an awesome pacing too, especially when compared to most of the WSJ stuff. If it weren't for the often breaks in releases, it would be much more apparent. Nothing has really changed since we first started reading it, it's just that we have to wait so long for the next chapter sometimes. It gives the illusion of molasses like pacing, but that's not actually the case. It wouldn't be right for Berserk to jump around all the time like Naruto and Bleach. So yeah, I'm really looking forward to what Miura has come up with. Think about it, would you rather Miura take breaks to come up with quality plot, or have him make actual manga filler chapters in the mean time? We've seen what that's like. This week, Naruto eats a bowl of ramen...no thanks. ;)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

BigSassy wrote:It's too early to talk about things being anti-climatic. This is only the first chapter from his hiatus, give a few more chapters.

I didn't mean that the story was anti-climactic, but that some people who were expecting 'something' possibly found this chapter anti-climactic because it didn't meet their expectations.
Starnum wrote: Nothing has really changed since we first started reading it, it's just that we have to wait so long for the next chapter sometimes. It gives the illusion of molasses like pacing, but that's not actually the case.
I can't agree more with you. I try to read Berserk over again, at least the more recent chapters, in a chunk so that I don't feel like the pacing is slow. Having filler is a waste, most of the time, but at the same time side notes are needed to get you into the story and whatnot. Like if during a lull in the battle if a chapter dealt with the guys on the ship. Technically it wouldn't really be a filler, even if they're not really up to anything interesting, because that would simulate how real life is very interesting and very boring at points. But the way you were saying about Naruto is the dumb kind of filler that's annoying.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Thanks EG! You guys rock!

About the chapter:
Not only the artwork was God-like, but we got a lot of symbolism on this chapter. Its not that Miura felt too lazy to add dialogue, there wasnt supposed to be any.
Griffith's ascension (both literally and metaphorically) to the top of the world was surrounded not by fanfare and celebration, but unworldly silence. There's not even space for admiration, only awe. And then he looks down at the distorted face of worldly ambition, represented by Ganishka's own face.
There are probably more stuff, I just haven't figured it down yet.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, sometimes "filler" in manga is acceptable, or even essential. As you say, sometimes you have to show how the character goes through his day-to-day life, you see that in Ippo, and it works well. However, Naruto eating a bowl of ramen for a whole chapter, just because you don't know what else to do with the story, that's different. There's a difference between stalling and showing actual mundane life details for a character. Kishimoto was probably forced to make weekly releases, even when he had no idea what he wanted to do. Which is why Naruto sucked so bad for a while. The author admited that he had only planned up to the end of the stuff before the time-lapse. However Miura probably gets a lot more respect, so when he says I need time to gather data and decided where next to take the plot, then he gets the time he asks for.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Starnum wrote:It's the first chapter back from the hiatus, and I think that Miura was probably using the break to plan out what he's going to do next, so give it some time indeed. More than likely he's already written most of the stuff he had planned out, and now he's filling in the blanks till he gets to the ending, which he probably also has an idea about.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. I'm sure he could have done these 18 pages in a couple of weeks, but figuring out the story arc and all the details he wants to put in it must have taken him some time. Who knows, maybe he went as far as figuring out what the ending is going to be :wink:
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Dude, he's known what the ending was for atleast a decade, I'm sure of it. Most writers know what the ending is before they get there, it's the getting there, and doing it well, that's the hard part. The easiest parts to write are the interesting parts: the beginning, the end, and whatever piques your interest in the middle. A good writer is careful not to have any of those three too long or drawn out, because we all know how important suspense and pacing is.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Griffith's ascension (both literally and metaphorically) to the top of the world was surrounded not by fanfare and celebration, but unworldly silence. There's not even space for admiration, only awe. And then he looks down at the distorted face of worldly ambition, represented by Ganishka's own face.
And what makes it especially ironic is that (although no one knows it) Griffith actually has more worldly ambition than Ganishka, so in a way he's looking at a mirror of himself. The symbolism of this chapter is really powerful in a lot of ways, and I agree that it actually works better without any dialogue.
BigSassy
Mastered PM

Post by BigSassy »

Istvan wrote:
And what makes it especially ironic is that (although no one knows it) Griffith actually has more worldly ambition than Ganishka, so in a way he's looking at a mirror of himself. The symbolism of this chapter is really powerful in a lot of ways, and I agree that it actually works better without any dialogue.
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about it like that. But then, that's why I supplement my reading with these forums :)
Triko
imanewbie

Post by Triko »

People that complain about Berserk releases being too slow need to find new hobbies to fill in their time between releases. I've been a diehard Berserk fan for over 5 years now, the quality of the Manga is simply beyond scales of magnitude greater than any shovelware manga being released today to mass-market audiences. It's the quality of Berserk that keeps me waiting patiently for new releases; yeah it's frustrating when there's long periods of wait, but I just check this site once a month to get news on Berserk releases, and if there is not any I go do something else.
There are probably more stuff, I just haven't figured it down yet.
This forum is also great for analysis and discussion of the chapters, which helps pass the time between releases. I could never be a film critic :\
Azrael
notanewb

Post by Azrael »

Thanks again, EG!

I was wondering, do any of you know what Zodd has there in his wing? A Behelit?
"For you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly."
- From Alan Moore's The Watchmen
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Azrael wrote:Thanks again, EG!

I was wondering, do any of you know what Zodd has there in his wing? A Behelit?
I'm pretty sure it was that assassin-apostle that hangs around Griffith a lot.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I guess that I'm one of the few who remembers that that apostle, who's not really an apostle, just an assasin who agreed to go along with Griffith, is Rahkshas (you can correct me on the spelling). He's a cast out from the Bakiraka clan that Silat is a part of, which themselves are cast outs from the Kushan Empire (at least that's the impression that I got). Looks to be a good thing, in hindsight, considering what a monster their emperor turned out to be. Yeah, I'm looking forward to what part Silat will play, he'll probably be an anti-hero of sorts.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'm sure there are lots of people who recognized Rashas, and make no mistake, I'm sure he's an apostle as well.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

There's no real proof yet, but I agree with Starnum that Rashas is an Apostle. Given everything we've seen of him, it just seems likely. Sure he's also a renegade of the Bakiraka clan, but most of the Apostles also seem to have "human" identities, so that doesn't prove anything.
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

Just picked this up, excellent work EG, if only you all got unemployment for your time spent between chapters. You'd be rich as fuck.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.