BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Superboi
notanewb

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

Post by Superboi »

So I know this manga has been out for about a year or so now, but I just recently found it after watching the anime, and I gotta say I was ecstatic and mutually pissed off to find out that the manga goes further than the anime series. It was wonderful to get to see what happened on their American Tour and everything else that happened, but then you realize that your READING a manga about MUSIC, and you wonder "why the hell did they have to end the anime there?"

Anyway I've only been able to find 33 out of 34 volumes scanlated. I have found the raw for volume 34, but unfortunately I don't speak let alone read Japanese, so I'm SOL when it comes to the ending. I'm sure I could fill in my own dialog in there, and finish the story myself, but I don't think it would be the same. It would be awesome if Evil Genius decided to finish the scanlation of this thing, but that up to them. I don't know if there are many Beck fans out there, but if there are, then I'm sure your dieing to see the ending scanlated too.

...........So I guess I'll just end this thing on a discussion of my favorite part of the series, which is the parody they made of "The Graduate" when Saitou gets inspiration from one of Beck's songs to crash Momo's wedding in his speedos, and Yukio compares his actions to Charles Manson committing murder based on a message he got in a Beetles song.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Re: BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

Post by Eldo »

Superboi wrote:Anyway I've only been able to find 33 out of 34 volumes scanlated. I have found the raw for volume 34, but unfortunately I don't speak let alone read Japanese, so I'm SOL when it comes to the ending. I'm sure I could fill in my own dialog in there, and finish the story myself, but I don't think it would be the same. It would be awesome if Evil Genius decided to finish the scanlation of this thing, but that up to them. I don't know if there are many Beck fans out there, but if there are, then I'm sure your dieing to see the ending scanlated too.
Nope. We have a policy that we don't scanlate licensed (aside from Berserk) or if something is being worked on by another group. And Beck is licensed, so yeah, not touching it at all.

And yeah, it's great to hear that you think editing is so easy. Because it's easy, not so easy.

And also, I thought the music from BECK sucked. As in, 'what the fuck am I listening to, I thought this was supposed to be rock'.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Superboi
notanewb

Post by Superboi »

ouch. That was kinda harsh man. I can understand if you guys don't want to scanlate it; that's completely up to you guys to decide what to work on. That was nothing more than wishful thinking on my part.

Now I never said that the edits you guys do are easy. What I did say was that I could make my own version, but I would probably do it in paint program, since I wouldn't care if other people read it or not. I'm sure you guys use photoshop though, and painstakingly trace the characters to make as little as a white blob as possible since every "white" pixel has its own shade of "white", and would look weird if you just colored the entire bubble one color. After you do that to EVERY dialog box everything should go relatively faster if you have a script in front of you. I'm not saying its easy at all. I do video editing myself, so I know how long of a process things can be. This is also why I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to do it, cuz I don't even want to do it (But I'm very appreciative that YOU DO DO IT).

As for the music sucking... I half agree with you. The Japanese version of every song they made sucked big huge donkey balls, but the American dubbed versions of the songs were actually pretty decent in my book. They aren't jaw dropping or anything like that, but combined with the story in the anime, it makes them kind of inspiring. BTW - this is moshpit worthy.

But why the hell do I have to defend myself any time I post something on these forums??

PS - if it is licensed then why can't I buy volume 34 in english?
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

I just wish there were some kind of tool that examined every pixel on a page and made a graph of their values from 0-255 with a little sliding thing that would change all pixels of that value and lower to white, then one for black but with higher values, and one slider in the middle that adjusts the value that it's put on to #808080, with all the other values in between the white and black sliders becoming either lighter or darker depending on which side they're on.
Superboi
notanewb

Post by Superboi »

That sounds a bit complicated, but I understood it (sort of). I think an easier tool to make that should be just as affective would be one that lets you copy a color with the eye drop tool (or whatever that thing is supposed to be) and then gives back a random but subtle different shade of that color for each pixel with in a certain range that you specify regardless of what tool your using to draw or paint over with.