Full Metal Panic! (Light Novels)

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Full Metal Panic! (Light Novels)

Post by Aetherfukz »

Excuse me if there is already a thread about FMP, but I couldn't find one through the search function.

Anyway, I love the FMP anime. So I got all the available, translated, Light Novels that tell the story after the anime. I've read "End of Day by Days" (which is basically FMP The Second Raid with a few alterations), "A Very Dancing Merry Christmas" (which wasn't so merry and the only thing dancing were bullets :P), "Continuing on my own" (which was hardcore, I'll talk about it in a second) and finished the last chapter of "Burning One Man Force" just yesterday (and it blew my mind basically).

So, Fumoffu aside, the other 2 anime seasons were pretty lighthearted too. When there was action it was kind-of serious, as serious as the A-Team was I'd say. The school stories were always on the comedic side though. And it was good, it fitted, it was the charme of the series.

But the Second Raid already was much darker in tone. Grittier. More realistic one might say. And the books only continued on from there...

-- major spoilers from here on, so if you open those spoiler tags, you have been warned :D --

"Continuing on my own" started it all.

[spoiler]Sousuke and Kaname have to get away from school because it is to dangerous. When Amalgam strikes they are chased thoughout the whole Tokyo city. At the same time Amalgam uses all their force to strike down Mithril. The mithril land bases are bombarded at the same time, their communication jammed, and the base where the Tuatha de Danaan is refilling is carped bombed and attacked by land forces and 3 (!) Behemoths. Lots of people die, Kurz and Mao are heavily wounded, the Fate of Kalinin is unknown (although he once met Tessas Brother some time ago, why it unknown as of yet...).

Sousuke uses all his wit and might to somehow save Kaname and all the other school hostages. While he manages to save the hostages, he loses a fight against Leonards Armslave. The arbalest is torn to pieces. Only seconds before he is stomped to death, Kaname agrees to come with Leonard and Amalgam if they spare Sousukes life.

The book ends with Mithril destroyed, only the Tuatha de Danaan could escape with a bare minimum of people. Sousuke left the Arbalest behind and gone hiding. The whereabouts of Kaname and Kalinin are not known.[/spoiler]

"Burning One Man Force" was mindboggingly awesome:

[spoiler]This book is all Sousuke. All revenge. All Plot. And all Feelings. He comes to Namsak (China) in search of clues for Amalgam and therefore Kaname in an Armslave arena. He comes to like the teamowner of his armslave team (Nami, who closely resembles Kaname in spirit) and comes to like the life he lives there. But things soon change. Amalgam is there.

Nami is shot dead before his eyes by the same person (Kurama) that took Kaname away (well tried to before Leonard came to his aid). A huge battle. In the end Sousuke manages to get a few locations where Kaname might be out of Kurama before both of them collapse to the ground.[/spoiler]

Now here starts the awesome last part of the book, which was (while extremly rough translated) still awesome writing. I could feel, I could be Sousuke while I read this... (paraphrased :D)

[spoiler]Sousuke lies on the floor in his own blood. His left shoulder dislocated, his left arm broken multiple times. In his stomach here is a hole from rifle rounds. His feet took several shots too. All matter of explosives have come by. He is a wreck.

He awaits his death. Deliriously he mutters the 3 locations where Kaname might be. Someone has to hear it. Someone has to fight his fight. Who? Why?

The last thing on his mind is the girl (Kaname). Her smile. Her anger. Her compassion. Only being besides her now would be enough. He wants to meet her again.

Now what follows is really neat - a description of the delirum/dream Sousuke has of Kaname. Slowly but steadly the point of view shifts from Sousuke over to Kaname. And then she awakes.

Kaname is somewhere in an Amalgam facility, working for them! She appears brainwashed and doesn't know what that dream was about and who that person was.[/spoiler]
After that the book ends. I haven't read the 2 chapters that are already translated of the next book, "Come make my day" but from what I heard it will be a while until we see Sousuke and Kaname again. *thrill*

I really love all the FMP Anime, but the light novels are on a completely other level. The second raid already showed that Sousuke changed, and is still changing. And in the books he really transforms into a full blown character - whereas before he was basically a soldier following orders, not questioning anything.

So, just wanted to write about those things, maybe someone else read the novels too. If not, and you want to, I can upload the pdfs I have somewhere.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Re: Full Metal Panic! (Light Novels)

Post by Rolos »

i had been wanting to read them for a while, but had been to damn lazy to download them. Not anymore. Just downloaded:

The End of Day by Day
A Dancing Very Merry Christmas
Continuing on My Own
Burning One Man Force

And I am currently looking for:

Come make my day
Approaching nick of time

Are they really better than the series? I have never read light novels, so this is going to be a new experience for me. Hope it's as good as you say.

PD: Good avatar Aetherfukz, even better signature. All Hail Ergo Proxy!
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The first few chapters of Tsudou Make my Day are available directly from the translator at: http://shutazen.livejournal.com/

The other chapters and Semaru Nick of Time are only available as (really throrough) spoilers at: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.ph ... ostcount=7

Concerning the quality (without saying anything about the translation - the books from boku-tachi are superbly translated, the latest chapters on the 2 websites above rather rough): With the anime I always thought about it as very lighthearted, action driven and the characters were, while funny and interesting, rather stereotypical.

Dunno if that is true for the first few books too, but at least starting after the second raid anime, characters really get developed. The whole love triangle between Sousuke, Kaname and Tessa, Sousuke really growing to be a person and thinking for his own, and stuff like that. The novel describes the characters, their feelings and moves more intense.

That being said, I'd kill to get a new season of the Anime which was awesome (especially the second raid which got darker and darker, and into character development).
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

The other good thing about the novels is that they explain a lot about Mithril. In that aspect, the anime is, being really honest, kinda retarded.
"We are Mithril, the allies of Justice" That simple frase made me think twice about watching the whole thing.

Besides, there was Mithril's apparent omnipotence. That goes down in flames in the novels.

And other thing: Whenever watching the series, I would always think: "How can the two world superpowers allow such an organization to exist?" The novels are very through in their depiction of Mithril as an ilegal organization. The only reason neither the US nor the USSR have completely annihilated it its because of how well hidden their bases are. It's also explained how they get their seemingly limitless funds.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Just finished reading [the synopsis of] the last few chapters of Semaru Nick of Time. God damn fucking cliffhangers! Can't wait for the next novel to come out (and get translated, or at least a translated summary).

[spoiler]- Basically the world of FMP is an alternate reality to ours. When, in the 1980s, the Whispered experiments gone wrong, something [in the timeline] changed. A few years later Black Technology came up, and development of sci-fi weapons like the ArmSlaves began with it.
- Leonard has his own agenda inside Amalgam. He wants to return the world back to what it was before the whispered incident. A world without black technology, without chaos (he thinks :D). Kalinin really follows his lead now.
- What seems clear is that the Black Technology the Whispered received and continue to receive, are actually "whisperings" from the future. Possible because in the 80s when the experiment gone wrong a time distortion field was made at the epicenter.
- Somehow Kaname is in the center of all this. Leonard thinks SHE is the one in the future who whispers black technology back to the past. Meaning she is fated to do it because she received whisperings from her future self already.
- When Tessa and Kaname try to blow up the time distortion at the center of a ruined facility Kaname gets... mindcontrolled... by someone called Sophia (which seems to be the real one from the future whispering back the technology?). Sophia lets Kaname shoot Sousuke and Tessa in the head (although only in her imagination, but Kaname believes it fully). Later Kaname, still mindcontrolled, meets up with Leonard to go further with "their" plan. She is now friendly towards Leonard and doesn't seem to care that (she thinks) Sousuke and Tessa are dead. All she thinks about is "their" plan to somehow change the world back to before black technology. Although the last we see of her is with rivers of tears flowing down her face, with her not knowing why (damn mindcontrolling!).
- When they had a short truce before to get out of a dire situation, Leonard tells Sousuke about his plan to restore the world order. His plan means Kaname could live a simple life without being a Whispered. ArmSlaves would not exist. Mithril and Amalgam would not exist. But also, and this troubles Sousuke to no avail, Kaname would have never met Sousuke.
- Kurz seems very dead. He took an AS sniper round to the head while laying low with his M9. Though he got out of the wreckage and did his once in a lifetime shot of 1650m with his old rifle he always carried, Sousuke and the others cannot rescue him on their way out of the battlefield because of enemies everywhere. The last line about him is bascially: He grabs his rifle tightly after his uber shot, and it gets dark... (the translator used "succombs to the darkness")[/quote]

So that's basically the cliffhangers: Kaname mindcontrolled on Leonards Side, Kurz in a state of limbo / dead, Sousuke confused as hell about all the time distortion and world order things, just thinking about wanting to hug Kaname and telling her all his feelings.[/spoiler]

I need the next novel ASAP :(