Movies of ´09

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Re: Movies of ´09

Post by Starnum »

Heh, that is pretty cool.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Screw 'em, let's see the pictures! The most that could happen is that they ask you to take them down, so you really shouldn't worry about them.

So I've been watching more movies, here are my single paragraph reviews:

Slumdog Millionaire
A very nice story that centers around an average kid in India who's about to win 20 million rupees in India's version of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" and the story he tells to the police about how he knew the answer to each one of the questions. It reminded me a lot of another great movie: City Of God. Both great movies.

Religulous
A documentary by Bill Mahers about religion. Very cool and very funny, but I felt they could've done so much more. Still, it's worth watching.

The Wrestler
A wrestler (think Hulk Hogan) who's getting old and is trying to reestablish his relationship with his daughter and basically looking for a life outside of wrestling since realizing he can't remain a wrestler forever. I have no idea how this movie didn't make it into the Best Picture category in this years academy awards. At least Mickey Rourke got nominated, he really deserves best actor for this movie..

Pride And Glory
A movie about police corruption. The story is somewhat average and the pacing very slow, the only thing that made the movie acceptable was the talent they got in it: Edward Norton, Jon Voight, Colin Farrell. Good enough to kill time, but nothing memorable in it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Get me a lock of hugh jackmans pubic hair or your suffering will never end.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Buzkashi wrote:Get me a lock of hugh jackmans pubic hair or your suffering will never end.
Why do you want that? Anyways, if I even come within eyeshot of him I bet you that I'd be tackled by security. It is a pretty big scene after all, so I'm pretty sure he's not the only big name here.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

you have a fortnight to complete your task. times a ticking.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I think you know what you have to do, Herald. XD
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Too late, Sabretooth got in my way. Anyways, if Buzkashi want's some of Hugh Jackman's pubic hair, why doesn't he just go to the oscars to get them like everybody else does.

Anyways, the gunshots were so cool. I got a picture of a cannon going off. And of Sabretooth, but he was like running so its fuzzy. But hey, it's not like there's a 7 foot tall blond dude with huge muscles around every day. Tonight I'm gonna stay up really late to see if I can get a glimpse of wolverine. It's awesome, they let us take pics and everything during filming, just no flashes. I'll post some pics after tonight.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Sweet dude, I'm looking forward to seeing some of your pics, so don't keep us waiting. XD
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

There are no real movies I want to see at all right now. Well, nothing I want to see at the cinemas anyway. They all seem like good, solid DVD purchases/rentals, but nothing that will actually get my arse to the cinemas.

Well, Wolverine Origins looks...well, not that great. But hey, it's going to be an entertaining movie. For some reason, I think it's going to be a bit better than Fantastic Four and nowhere near Iron Man.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Outlander - It was a little entertaining movie. What do you expect from a movie where a Spacemarine crashlands in the viking era :P

[spoiler]Ok so when Kanan has his little flashback of when his son gets stung by a cocoon, the flying thingy that comes out of it must be where the morwin comes from. Or am I totally spacing out here?[/spoiler]

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

[spoiler]Wtf, why remember the plant part its like the most useless and boring scene of the entire movie, it probably got no connection with the moorwens also or they would have blown it to bits, seriously useless.[/spoiler]
Anyway I liked the movie too, so if you hated Beowulf like everyone should have, you probably will like this one.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Finito wrote:[spoiler]Wtf, why remember the plant part its like the most useless and boring scene of the entire movie, it probably got no connection with the moorwens also or they would have blown it to bits, seriously useless.[/spoiler]
Anyway I liked the movie too, so if you hated Beowulf like everyone should have, you probably will like this one.

Haha yeah sure be a hater for backstories in movies.
Anyway the most annoying and useless thing is that a Viking is named Boromir, who the f*ck came up with that?
There has never been a Viking named Boromir so why the hell did they name him that?
Probably they thought they could lure every Rings fan to see this after just hearing the name.

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Alright, here are some of my pictures and video from the shoot. Enjoy. If you're curious you should check out some UBC campus picks to find your bearings.

This was one of the stunt doubles and the effect they were setting up was for him to fly over the gate.

And for the video. There's no sound because I only had my dinky little camera, but it's still interesting all the same.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=-iaWTgH8f34

Note to admins: I can't figure out how to get it to be a video on this site, I can only post the url. If you could let me know how to do that I'd be real grateful (PS this is a dumb video so you may not want to do it for this one, but for future reference). Thanks.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Those pics are, um, kind of...*imitating Cartman* keeewl . >.>

*Ahem* but you kind of suck at taking pictures. Either that or your dinky camera lacks the ability to focus any better than that. How far away were you? Oh well, I wasn't expecting to see Hugh Jackman's face or anything. Just send the pubes to Buzkashi, that shall suffice. Anyway, thanks for posting the pics. Now, about this cosplay pic you mentioned. XD
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

The lights made it difficult to take good pictures, and that dude that was fuzzy was really far away, almost a block. And yes, I do have a dinky camera. I'm not posting any Guts pics until its all done so I don't jinx it, and my Gohan pics are unfortunately lost :'(.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah, I see. Fair enough. ;)
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

I saw Taken. I loved Taken. It came out in 2009 right?
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I'm thinking it had a European release because I saw it in like November.

It might have been a screener dvd tho.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

No, it was released pretty much everywhere last year. If IMDB is to be believed, it came out in France first in February 2008.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

oh ok. then i didn't see a new movie this year.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I still want to see it, I don't care when it actually came out. XD
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Taken got a late release in Canada and came out on January 30. Maybe you live in Canada. Or maybe you just saw it in a second run theatre somewhere else in the world.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Let me rephrase what I said, the movie was released practically everywhere last year except for the US and Canada, where it just debuted this year. Even Mexico got the movie last year.
Shizuka
imanewbie

Post by Shizuka »

i heard talk about a street fighter movie about chun li, but i wasn't expecting it to be out so soon. and the girl doesn't even look like chun li, her legs and hips are way too small
Baseball is 90% mental, and the other half is physical - Yogi Bera
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I cringe at the thought. I mean, c'mon, it's not like they had much success with the last Street Fighter movie (not to mention that Jean-Claude Van Damme sucks mighty balls). At least this one is focusing on one character.