Berserk 299 - Inhuman Battleground

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Re: Berserk 299 - Inhuman Battleground

Post by Starnum »

The Herald wrote:I know she wasn't yelling out real words, duh, of course it was telepathic. What I meant was that I found it like she was "yelling" in her head, therefore that hitting everyone else telepathically because she had lost control. And yes, I agree that Miura had written it for her to be telling everyone that they are stupid. But I was just trying to read it in a different way, with the possibilty being that she could have just thought too hard in her own head that Griffith was stupid, that maybe she thinks that he's stupid for putting himself in danger. More likely than not you are all right, but this is not my prediction, it's just what I thought could have been happening when I was reading it.

And The Prince, grow a brain and stop ass-kissing Starnum all the time. Yeah it's fun to flame the wierd (and in my case absent minded) guy, but at least form your own opinions and come up with your own stuff so at least someone can make some sort of conversation with you.

And Starnum, yet again, thanks for calling me on my dumb shit (not sure if that was sarcastic or not).
Well if its just a "stupid theory", that's okay, but it sounded like your "prediction". Mainly it seemed like you were thinking we didn't know it was telepathic, but now I see what you're getting at. My apologies.

As for the Prince kissing my ass, I don't really think that's the case. Besides, his lips are unworthy of my royal arse. Well, he is a prince...but no, 'fraid not. :P
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

lulwot, the next chapter is already out?

Gotta read it right after work before playing WoW :D

Thanks EG!
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:
The Herald wrote:I know she wasn't yelling out real words, duh, of course it was telepathic. What I meant was that I found it like she was "yelling" in her head, therefore that hitting everyone else telepathically because she had lost control. And yes, I agree that Miura had written it for her to be telling everyone that they are stupid. But I was just trying to read it in a different way, with the possibilty being that she could have just thought too hard in her own head that Griffith was stupid, that maybe she thinks that he's stupid for putting himself in danger. More likely than not you are all right, but this is not my prediction, it's just what I thought could have been happening when I was reading it.

And The Prince, grow a brain and stop ass-kissing Starnum all the time. Yeah it's fun to flame the wierd (and in my case absent minded) guy, but at least form your own opinions and come up with your own stuff so at least someone can make some sort of conversation with you.

And Starnum, yet again, thanks for calling me on my dumb shit (not sure if that was sarcastic or not).
Well if its just a "stupid theory", that's okay, but it sounded like your "prediction". Mainly it seemed like you were thinking we didn't know it was telepathic, but now I see what you're getting at. My apologies.

As for the Prince kissing my ass, I don't really think that's the case. Besides, his lips are unworthy of my royal arse. Well, he is a prince...but no, 'fraid not. :P

LOL.....at you being a royal ass!

Once again we are in agreement.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

The Prince wrote:LOL.....at you being a royal ass!

Once again we are in agreement.
Oh shi...! :?

No, I said I have a royal as...you know what, screw it, you're right. :P
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Haha, indeed, now that that's all settled, anybody have any interesting theories as for what Guts and the gang are up to at this point? I can see a voyage taking long, but since us here in the real world have been waiting for them to get to Skellig for a year or so (if my memory is correct, which it rarely is) it's almost too long if you ask me. I can see chapter 300 being a big one though, like we've all been predicting. Though, I don't see King Leonidas coming out of nowhere brandishing his spear.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
DrPepperPro
Dirty Sennin

Post by DrPepperPro »

Aetherfukz wrote:lulwot, the next chapter is already out?

Gotta read it right after work before playing WoW :D

Thanks EG!
You mean at work while playing wow?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Herald wrote:Haha, indeed, now that that's all settled, anybody have any interesting theories as for what Guts and the gang are up to at this point? I can see a voyage taking long, but since us here in the real world have been waiting for them to get to Skellig for a year or so (if my memory is correct, which it rarely is) it's almost too long if you ask me. I can see chapter 300 being a big one though, like we've all been predicting. Though, I don't see King Leonidas coming out of nowhere brandishing his spear.
Presumably they're still sailing. There will be a few more Griffith chapters, but I'd predict that Guts and Co. will reach the island by the end of the next chapter we see them in. Who knows how long that will take, though.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I agree. I think the next time we see Gatts and the gang they'll be arriving at Elfhelm. I hope so anyway. At the very least they should get there after the whole Griffith versus Ganishka thing is over. You'd think so anyway. I mean, I doubt we'll see them again until then anyway, unless Miura cuts to them briefly at the beginning or end of one of the Griffith chapters.
Lara Skadi
notanewb

Post by Lara Skadi »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, I agree. I think the next time we see Gatts and the gang they'll be arriving at Elfhelm. I hope so anyway. At the very least they should get there after the whole Griffith versus Ganishka thing is over. You'd think so anyway. I mean, I doubt we'll see them again until then anyway, unless Miura cuts to them briefly at the beginning or end of one of the Griffith chapters.
They'll probably appear again after Griffith's battle is over (ok, battles are exciting and all but I don't know anyone who isn't waiting to see Guts and co. again) but isn't it too early for them to get there? I mean, I sure wanted them to, but considering they've said it was a long journey on open seas, it'd take months or more - meanwhile lots of important stuff should be happening to Griffith so I guess he won't just skip it to show Skellig...Well, if not, it would just not fit the timeline (hopefully, I might be wrong and sonner or later we'll see them getting in the island :) )
madonnalal
notanewb

Post by madonnalal »

dialdfordesi wrote:Sonia will be able to sway the common folk easily, but it will be interesting to see who doesn't buy into it.
It would be interesting if Charlotte starts to doubt Griffith and eventually betrays him but I might be giving her character too much credit.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, you probably are giving her too much credit. She seems completely obsessed with him to me.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, you probably are giving her too much credit. She seems completely obsessed with him to me.
I see Griffith turning on her at some point, thus not giving her much choice but to doubt him.

Griffith can't keep this facade going on forever, just as long as its benefits his cause.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, that's definitely possible, but that's different than her coming to that conclusion on her own. Hell, she'd probably side with him regardless, even if she knew the truth, as long as he doesn't turn on her personally. I guess we'll see how it goes.
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, that's definitely possible, but that's different than her coming to that conclusion on her own. Hell, she'd probably side with him regardless, even if she knew the truth, as long as he doesn't turn on her personally. I guess we'll see how it goes.
She'll be fine until he introduces his new boyfriend to her.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

FightClub wrote:
Starnum wrote:Yeah, that's definitely possible, but that's different than her coming to that conclusion on her own. Hell, she'd probably side with him regardless, even if she knew the truth, as long as he doesn't turn on her personally. I guess we'll see how it goes.
She'll be fine until he introduces his new boyfriend to her.
Griffith: "I'd like you to meet my new buddy." :lol:

Looking at Sonia as the new Caska, it'll take a while for her to realize she doesn't stand a chance to be with Griffith, and until she gets that, she'll stay by his side. But using her power to sway the people seems to much for me as Griffith still needs to keep his noble image intact for her to follow him. Griffith is the one who's gotta do all the explaining about the monsters, I doubt the people would even accept someone else speaking for him.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Prince wrote:
Starnum wrote:Yeah, you probably are giving her too much credit. She seems completely obsessed with him to me.
I see Griffith turning on her at some point, thus not giving her much choice but to doubt him.

Griffith can't keep this facade going on forever, just as long as its benefits his cause.
I wouldn't be too sure. Griffith is extremely competent, and very controlled. I think he can keep this facade going for as long as it's useful to him to do so. If it ever becomes a detriment, I'd see him killing Charlotte (probably in an "accident") not letting her know his true nature. Betraying her, then letting her survive so that she can seek revenge (and serve as a symbol to organize resistence against him) just seems...stupid. Way too stupid for Griffith. So basically if she ever learns the truth it'll be right before she dies.
Looking at Sonia as the new Caska, it'll take a while for her to realize she doesn't stand a chance to be with Griffith, and until she gets that, she'll stay by his side. But using her power to sway the people seems to much for me as Griffith still needs to keep his noble image intact for her to follow him. Griffith is the one who's gotta do all the explaining about the monsters, I doubt the people would even accept someone else speaking for him.
Probably Griffith will ultimately have to speak for himself, but Sonia is still serving a very useful purpose. She's (presumably) keeping people from immediately panicking, and preventing opinions against Griffith from solidifying. If she, and later the Pope, speak for Griffith and remind people of everything he's doing for them, right as they begin to doubt him and not long afterwards, people will be more willing to listen to and believe Griffith when he speaks. It's essential to stop this kind of doubt in Griffith as soon as possible if he's going to be successful.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Istvan wrote:
The Prince wrote:

I wouldn't be too sure. Griffith is extremely competent, and very controlled. I think he can keep this facade going for as long as it's useful to him to do so. If it ever becomes a detriment, I'd see him killing Charlotte (probably in an "accident") not letting her know his true nature. Betraying her, then letting her survive so that she can seek revenge (and serve as a symbol to organize resistence against him) just seems...stupid. Way too stupid for Griffith. So basically if she ever learns the truth it'll be right before she dies.
Too stupid?

Martyrdom perhaps, but who said anything about Charlotte leading a resistance bent on revenge?.... I do not see here as the vengeful type.

Why should Griffith give a shit what Charlotte thinks of him, once he gets what he needs from her? Before its all said and done, she'll have seen Griffith for what he truely is. That's what makes Griffith's character so sinister, and at some point Miura will hammer that home once again.
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

I'm pretty sure the soldiers are going to be plenty happy they're not having to fight the demon hoards themselves, and be accepting that this is a demon's fight, and best left to demons. Under that premise they should be accepting in his decision, if only to guard their own cowardice.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Lara Skadi
notanewb

Post by Lara Skadi »

FightClub wrote:I'm pretty sure the soldiers are going to be plenty happy they're not having to fight the demon hoards themselves, and be accepting that this is a demon's fight, and best left to demons. Under that premise they should be accepting in his decision, if only to guard their own cowardice.
Pretty much like it, I guess... The same goes for the people, that will adore him and accept him as their hero or fear him and accept him anyway - I can't think of anyone there who'd defy him afterall.
I don't know if he's willing to be an absolutist, but either way he wouldn't have big problems controling his sheep (fortunately, for him, there aren't many Guts out there).
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

War Machine wrote:Looking at Sonia as the new Caska, it'll take a while for her to realize she doesn't stand a chance to be with Griffith, and until she gets that, she'll stay by his side. But using her power to sway the people seems to much for me as Griffith still needs to keep his noble image intact for her to follow him. Griffith is the one who's gotta do all the explaining about the monsters, I doubt the people would even accept someone else speaking for him.
I dunno, I think Sonia has a lot fewer illusions about being with Griffith than Caska ever did. She seems pretty content to just worship him from afar, whereas even when Caska was doing her damnedest to pretend to herself and everyone else that she just wanted to be "his sword," it was pretty obvious to the reader that she'd never be satisfied with that role.
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

hbi2k wrote:
War Machine wrote:Looking at Sonia as the new Caska, it'll take a while for her to realize she doesn't stand a chance to be with Griffith, and until she gets that, she'll stay by his side. But using her power to sway the people seems to much for me as Griffith still needs to keep his noble image intact for her to follow him. Griffith is the one who's gotta do all the explaining about the monsters, I doubt the people would even accept someone else speaking for him.
I dunno, I think Sonia has a lot fewer illusions about being with Griffith than Caska ever did. She seems pretty content to just worship him from afar, whereas even when Caska was doing her damnedest to pretend to herself and everyone else that she just wanted to be "his sword," it was pretty obvious to the reader that she'd never be satisfied with that role.
But consider things like when Sonia was interfering with Griffith's time together with Charlotte, and when Mule castigated her for it, thought something along the lines of "I also haven't seen Griffith in a long time." I don't think she truly accepts that Griffith only sees her as a tool and that she'll never be more than that to him. Caska did. Hence the fact that Griffith's revelation to Charlotte about how he saw the Hawks didn't surprise/disturb Caska at all. She already knew it. Sonia still thinks of both herself and Griffith as being special (note her bird analogy), and feels that she should be together with Griffith.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Castigation! That's a new one on me, nice. I'm gonna have to add that one to my arsenal.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Sounds like you do a lot of castigation already...
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Eh? I don't get it. What makes you say that? I meant I'm going to have to add the word to my vocabulary. You're just asking for some castigation, aren't you? :P
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Starnum wrote:Eh? I don't get it. What makes you say that?
You're a mod. :roll:
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel