Red-Light Cameras Just Don’t Work

All the news that's new and approved. We want your opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Moderator: EG Members

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Red-Light Cameras Just Don’t Work

Post by War Machine »

http://www.ridelust.com/red-light-camer ... dont-work/
In fact, six U.S. cities have been found guilty of shortening the yellow light cycles below what is allowed by law on intersections equipped with cameras meant to catch red-light runners. Those local governments have completely ignored the safety benefit of increasing the yellow light time and decided to install red-light cameras, shorten the yellow light duration, and collect the profits instead.
Increasing the yellow light timer seems like a very sensible and inexpensive idea.

PS: After reading a few of the comments in that article, I can see why some blogs disable them.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Re: Red-Light Cameras Just Don’t Work

Post by The Prince »

War Machine wrote:http://www.ridelust.com/red-light-camer ... dont-work/
In fact, six U.S. cities have been found guilty of shortening the yellow light cycles below what is allowed by law on intersections equipped with cameras meant to catch red-light runners. Those local governments have completely ignored the safety benefit of increasing the yellow light time and decided to install red-light cameras, shorten the yellow light duration, and collect the profits instead.
Increasing the yellow light timer seems like a very sensible and inexpensive idea.

PS: After reading a few of the comments in that article, I can see why some blogs disable them.
This article is complete bullshit. Accidents increase INITIALLY from idiots like hte editors of this site who used to blow through intersections on Red now realizing that they have to stop and getting rear ended. However, once people get used to them, virtually ALL studies have shown they they decrease after a couple months. And the accidents are smaller than before.

But a site like ridelust can’t be bothered with giving FULL facts when they have their own agenda to push.

[spoiler]A favorite of mine. The guy makes one helluva argument............ 8)[/spoiler]
Let's put a smile on that face...............
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Re: Red-Light Cameras Just Don’t Work

Post by halfnhalf »

The yellow light is fucking LONG in Cali, i mean like 5 or 6 seconds long.

In China, on some streets (mainly the large ones) they have a timer clocking down to when the light will change next (from red to green is 40 seconds, green to yellow is 35 seconds, and yellow to red is 6 seconds).