The manga vs. the TV series

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Berserk manga or Berserk animation?

The Manga, Miura's original work > all
83%
The Animation, animated Berserk = g0d
17%

Total votes: 162

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Re: The manga vs. the TV series

Post by Aetherfukz »

True dat. Godo kicks literal ass.
Se7en
imanewbie

Post by Se7en »

Aetherfukz wrote:True dat. Godo kicks literal ass.
He was kickass in both the anime and manga, R.I.P. Godo
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

The Prince wrote:
Libaax wrote:What are you guys talking about ? Didnt you read the volumes before the flasbacks ?

Who was it that connected with the cold,angry Guts after all the horrible things of his past ?

It was Puck who nagged him so much to care about people and not only the monsters he was killing.

The Guts saves people in vol 20 + its not cause he met Caska and co years ago as teen but cause he changed when Puck started hangin after him.

The Guts before that was horrible, let people die before his eyes.

Heck cause its of Griffith and what happened to Caska and his friends that he became a hateful,coldblooded killer. Its clear difference of the Guts of the new volume. He didnt change for better because he friends died years before he met Puck.
I agree with you in that Puck, during Gut's deepest darkest days as the Blackswordsmen (princeably during Berserk's 1st three volumes) Puck served as the voice in Guts head constantly trying to perserve whatever remnants of humanity left lingering in Guts's twisted soul. But though he may have helped bring these remnants to light on occasion, its the circumstances surronding these moments that shape Guts' character.

So I can't agree entirely with your premise.....as you simply don't give Guts enough credit.

A lot of his evolution back to sanity came via self-discovery from interactions with those on his travels, feeling remorse for the Slug Counts daughter and "befriending" that town girl during the Lost Children Arc. His biggest change in confronting his demons came when he confronted Godo on his deathbed, when he returned from his Blackswordsmen hiatus to find Caska gone. Their confrontation in the attic is seminol in regards to Guts coming to some degree of resolution to the events of the eclipse, selfishness of leaving Caska behind, and opening his soul up to Godo regarding the burden of pain, fear, sadness, guilt, anger, hate that it had been engulfed by. All at once ceasing to be the apathetic characterization of Guts Blackswordsmen persona hellbent on vengeance, to a more noble (superhero-esque) character as we saw in the Retribution Arc and etc........

You missunderstand me. Im not giving Puck all the credit, i admire Guts even more cause of his self evolution and growth after his horrible past specially after what happened to his friends.

Just wanted to say Puck was important to Guts in the lonely years when Gut soul was its most twisted. He was so jaded, he didnt care about anyone he saw on his travels.

" Puck served as the voice in Guts head constantly trying to perserve whatever remnants of humanity left lingering in Guts's twisted soul "

As you put it that way is what i was trying to say.

Storytelling technique wise, removing Puck removed the voice of his that was inside Guts head that keept begging,nagging him to care about anything on his travels atleast since Caska was not with him.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I think removing Wyald was a good move. With him in there the mystery of the Great Eclipse just isn't as great. I'd rather the shock value of the anime.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The Herald wrote:I think removing Wyald was a good move. With him in there the mystery of the Great Eclipse just isn't as great. I'd rather the shock value of the anime.
Personally, I think that Wyald works great for the manga. He gives out important information, helps showcase Guts increased strength, and in general serves several useful plot purposes. For the streamlined plot of the anime, however, it made perfect sense to cut him. His being appropriate or not has to do with the nature of the story being told, which is different for the anime than for the manga.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Well tha's what I meant really, in line with the anime. In the manga the great Eclipse wasn't so much as a mystery or surprise but part of what Void calls 'the current of causality'. Though in the manga it was still very hard to read. This critical juncture is where the anime and the manga differ the most I think, but both are well written ways of getting to it I believe.
Last edited by The Herald on Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Libaax wrote: You missunderstand me. Im not giving Puck all the credit, i admire Guts even more cause of his self evolution and growth after his horrible past specially after what happened to his friends.

Just wanted to say Puck was important to Guts in the lonely years when Gut soul was its most twisted. He was so jaded, he didnt care about anyone he saw on his travels.

" Puck served as the voice in Guts head constantly trying to perserve whatever remnants of humanity left lingering in Guts's twisted soul "

As you put it that way is what i was trying to say.

Storytelling technique wise, removing Puck removed the voice of his that was inside Guts head that keept begging,nagging him to care about anything on his travels atleast since Caska was not with him.

I definitely agree with Libaax here. At the same time he was healing Guts' body, he was slowly trying to heal his soul.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

What would you guys think of a second anime season which took off where the first left off, but followed the manga to the dime and forgot the chances the first season made? It'd be great to put together a flash team or something and dedicated fans making their own second season. Needless to say that'll take a lot of time and dedication tho, also the fact we wouldn't be making no money.
I think Guts is a pretty cool guy, eh kills shit an doesn't afraid of anything.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Buuhan1 wrote:What would you guys think of a second anime season which took off where the first left off, but followed the manga to the dime and forgot the chances the first season made? It'd be great to put together a flash team or something and dedicated fans making their own second season. Needless to say that'll take a lot of time and dedication tho, also the fact we wouldn't be making no money.
Sounds like a really bad idea to me.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Aww... Oh well. XD
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Yeah, that sounds like a bad idea, for many reasons. The biggest one is that it sounds like you're suggesting animating the next part in the manga without making it a direct sequel to the events in the anime. The anime made changes that must be adhered to if you were to make a second season. Also, this wouldn't be an anime, it would be a flash cartoon, and Berserk deserves way more than that. Although I personally love Samurai Jack and Star Wars: Clone Wars and whatnot, that style just isn't for Berserk. Another is the problem of redconning. If you don't want continuity problems, you'd have to keep out a lot of stuff, as well as add in other things. For example, some of the first few lines of the anime, in English at least, state that Griffith is King and his reign is horrible. As we all know this part is long before Griffith comes back at Albion, and almost a year before he actually marries Charlotte. Whoops. If a second season was done they'd have to incorporate that, as well as other changes.
Drexlerfan22
imanewbie

Post by Drexlerfan22 »

I really did love the anime, but seriously... the manga is in a class by itself. It's just that simple.
Feel free to express your own WRONG opinion!
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

The Herald what makes you think all things animated with flash looks like Samurai Jack and clone wars? Someone can make something look like an anime in flash no problem.
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

Buuhan1 wrote:The Herald what makes you think all things animated with flash looks like Samurai Jack and clone wars? Someone can make something look like an anime in flash no problem.
Theoretically yes, but when it's an amateur fan project using still images from manga scans....
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I was more or less geting at what hbi2k was. I know that anime and flash are essentially done the same way. You know what would be awesome to see? Berserk done in the real old school way where each frame was animated by hand.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Herald wrote:I was more or less geting at what hbi2k was. I know that anime and flash are essentially done the same way. You know what would be awesome to see? Berserk done in the real old school way where each frame was animated by hand.
Dude, this is like the 3rd time you've said something along the lines of "that's just like what I was going for". It's ok, we are reading your posts.

Anyway, as cool as a hand drawn frame by frame anime would be (or flash drawn), they take a serious amount of time to do, and frankly, I just don't think anyone would take such a big responsibility. Unless they're only doing a couple of chapters, but if that's the case, then it's not really a successor to the anime.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

If fans did take it upon themselves to animate a new Berserk season, I think the best bet would be CG. Such as using 3D models but rendering them to appear 2D, something along the lines of Appleseed (just probably not THAT pretty).
Se7en
imanewbie

Post by Se7en »

The Appleseed film looked great in it's own style, but it didn't really cut out for me... It felt like I was watching a film made by pixar in an attempt to make a 3d-ish anime. I just don't see Berserk fitting into that style, it seems silly.

A fan-made series would take quite a lot of time and money, depending on it's quality and the length of it, and it would most likely look silly. Besides, Berserk is not popular enough in some countries other than Japan(though I could be wrong). If the old series was tossed into something like Adult Swim, I bet people would get hooked and the manga sales would spring up, therefore growing popularity. But I don't ever recall Adult Swim playing anything that shows naked women and maybe extreme violence, even if the anime was toned down 10 times compared to the manga. Who knows, if they do ever air it, they will probably have to censor Caska's knockers or remove that scene completely, which would be stupid.

Anyways, many Japanese studios currently are capable of making very high quality animation, involving freedom with camera movements, badass fighting animations, high quality images and wide screen, multiple moving characters in a single scene, etc. I mean, anyone ever watch Macross Frontier? That series looks visually amazing... And I can see Berserk fitting into a style like that.

I have a strong conviction that a 2nd season/remake/OVA will be made in time, it will be something 10 times better than the animation 10 years ago, and it will blow our freakin' minds away.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

War Machine wrote:
The Herald wrote:I was more or less geting at what hbi2k was. I know that anime and flash are essentially done the same way. You know what would be awesome to see? Berserk done in the real old school way where each frame was animated by hand.
Dude, this is like the 3rd time you've said something along the lines of "that's just like what I was going for". It's ok, we are reading your posts.

Anyway, as cool as a hand drawn frame by frame anime would be (or flash drawn), they take a serious amount of time to do, and frankly, I just don't think anyone would take such a big responsibility. Unless they're only doing a couple of chapters, but if that's the case, then it's not really a successor to the anime.
Yep, I give up, I have no opinion in this any more.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Se7en wrote:A fan-made series would take quite a lot of time and money, depending on it's quality and the length of it, and it would most likely look silly. Besides, Berserk is not popular enough in some countries other than Japan(though I could be wrong). If the old series was tossed into something like Adult Swim, I bet people would get hooked and the manga sales would spring up, therefore growing popularity. But I don't ever recall Adult Swim playing anything that shows naked women and maybe extreme violence, even if the anime was toned down 10 times compared to the manga. Who knows, if they do ever air it, they will probably have to censor Caska's knockers or remove that scene completely, which would be stupid.
It wouldn't be stupid. Yes, they'd blur the nudity like they do the fanservice in Code Geass (I admit it's annoying, that's what Comcast on Demand does for Anime Selects, series such as Ikki Tousen with plenty of nudity is blurred). But Adult Swim has no problem with massive bloody violence, a lot of their shows both anime and original feature it in great detail. Tho it'd probably get a disclaimer in front of it like Blood+ did. Berserk would be cool to have on Adult Swim especially cause I haven't seen it outside the abridged series... But I don't think AS could get rights to it.
Se7en
imanewbie

Post by Se7en »

Buuhan1 wrote:It wouldn't be stupid.
Perhaps you misunderstood, I meant it would be stupid to completely remove that scene, it was one of the reasons I felt angry after watching Berserk the first time and left with such a cliffhanger. Censoring is no problem when it comes to TV.
Buuhan1 wrote:But I don't think AS could get rights to it.
I think AS could get it if they look into it, when was the last time Berserk aired on American TV?
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I think AS could get it if they look into it, when was the last time Berserk aired on American TV?
I could be wrong, but I don't think it ever has aired on U.S. T.V.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Yeah, don't think it ever did. I think it was only released on DVD here.