Movies of '08

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Re: Movies of '08

Post by fujinsan »

Eldo wrote:[spoiler]I'm aware that the crystal skulls are based off a myth, but not the alien connection. I didn't want to say the 'alien' because of potential spoilers, which is why I said 'sci-fi concept'. Just from the reports I've read, Lucas was adamant about it being of an alien origin, rather than the usual mysticism that Indy usually deals with. I was thinking how the crystal skulls would be a good idea without the alien connection. Throughout the movie, I was thinking 'maybe something Aztec, Incan, or Mayan would be cool', but not the alien thing.

Anyway, saw the movie, didn't think it lived up to my expectations, but I still enjoyed it.[/spoiler]

As soon as you said alien in an Indiana Jones flick I lost interest, but I don't know I still might see it, what do you think worth it or a big let down?
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

just saw The Fall. thought it was a pretty good movie. very pretty and I thought the acting was pretty good. i loved the lil girl in it. it just got released in an "art" theater near me. if you can i'd check it out. I would also think about what the director was trying to do during the story. I thought it was pretty obvious, but i think some people who wrote reviews didn't get it.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=LaoxB-eLHQ8&feature=related[/youtube]
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

I just saw indiana jones, and I gotta say that movie was the best one. It was a badass movie, even though the crystal skulls myth isn't how it is in the movie. Alot more action than in the others, not as much story as in the last crusade, but definatly more action. :D
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

fujinsan wrote:I just saw indiana jones, and I gotta say that movie was the best one.
Wow.

That's retarded.

Cystal Skull wasn't bad, it was just a very mediocre Indiana Jones movie.

Skull >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Temple > Raiders = Crusade
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:
fujinsan wrote:I just saw indiana jones, and I gotta say that movie was the best one.
Wow.

That's retarded.

I think you mean:

Skull<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Temple < Raiders = Crusade.

Unless you're implying that Skull was waaaaaay better than Temple which was better than both Crusade and Raiders.
ImageImage
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Tempest wrote:I think you mean:

Unless you're implying that Skull was waaaaaay better than Temple which was better than both Crusade and Raiders.
Or maybe in terms of mediocrity, heh.

Yes, it was entertaining, but compared to the old stuff? Not really that great. See, it's like Fantastic Four and X-Men 3, if you look at it as a whole, it kind of sucked, but the movies was pretty entertaining.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

What I mean by the best was action wise, I even said that the last crusade had more story than crystal skull. I don't know why people are hating on this movie so much though.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:
Femto wrote:
Wow.

That's retarded.

I think you mean:

Yes, that's what I meant.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Be kind rewind - The movie was uneven, sometimes I was laughing my ass of (The Ghostbusters reshoot is insanely funny, Rush Hour 2 also) but most of the time it was just limping forward.

The Heartbreak kid - Was better than I thought, was funny as hell sometimes. But I think you have to like jokes that implies to sex to appreciate this one :P

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Ironman was decent, not much action but the action was pretty well made except for the end(where the robot just cant aim shit or maybe hes just trying to scratch his balls but cant see it), good graphics too, main character was interesting, more than the geeky cliche heroes from the other marvel movies I guess. I found the story ok being someone who knows nothing of Ironman, I didnt have any expectations and it was either that or Indy so my choice was easily done not being a big fan of the Indiana series(Im not afraid of Snakes, but Snake would be something else).

Crows Zero is probably one of the only Takeashit Miike movies I've enjoyed, the acting is weak as usual for the japeneses, but its got a good share of pretty decent fighting, it's retardedly funny, drama is kept to a minimum and there is no nuclear bomb, robots or ghosts at the end of the movie, in fact it's a good ending wtf.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Crows zero was ok. The fighting lacked a punch, and it was too much of PG13 family oriented in overall, bad pretty boy acting and crappy melodrama story, interesting still even based on a cliche type of manga.

Bit weird you enjoyed this one of all his movies, dont rate him much when it comes to the horror ones and the general b movies he churns out, but he has made few quality dramas that goes unnoticed, several actually, but Bird people in china for example.

Crow zero defenitely screamed a production he did only for a quick bucks for a studio. Even if it was interesting (in a "change guy" kinda way) and funny at times.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Anybody see the Hulk yet?

Apparently the movie is getting good reviews. :)
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Not weird at all when you know my tastes, I like action(I go slowmotion and rewind modes sometimes), I hate drama(I go fastforward mode on it sometimes). I hope he continues doing production for quick bucks like Crows Zero 2 which is in prod. it matches my tastes better.

Street Kings reminded me of the TV show The Shield and a big rip-off of Training day, still enjoyed it, a lot of hero trying to make up is mind and finding the truth behind the we already know it plot, but I think its still good to see cops vs gangsters vs cops action.

In Brudges just totally sucked, unless you like racist midget jokes and other retarded stereotype jokes or just like sight seeing in a movie... you should definitely skip that one.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I just saw southland tales and I fucking loved it for all its badness. It seems like at every point in the movie where i had some crazy desire for them to do something, they fulfilled it. Go out and see it just to experience it once. I kinda want to read the graphic novels now
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

MrFelony wrote:I just saw southland tales and I fucking loved it for all its badness. It seems like at every point in the movie where i had some crazy desire for them to do something, they fulfilled it. Go out and see it just to experience it once. I kinda want to read the graphic novels now

Read the graphic novels. it makes the story that much better.

(pm me, i have other means of getting it)

Hulk was a pretty good movie, but the thing is, i loved the first one. His struggle with himself was just perfect i thought. This one wasnt too much of a clash of egos, but ather just all out HULK SMASH. And it was that. Everytime on screen you all you thought was the hulk is gonna fuck shit up. Hulk vs. Abomination was awesome.

But after the movie, all you can think is that for some odd reason that movie didnt need to exist. They didnt have to make that movie at all, all the movie did was say that the avengers movie will happen.

But seriously, i liked eric bana's look of bruce banner better than edward norton.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

halfnhalf wrote:
MrFelony wrote:I just saw southland tales and I fucking loved it for all its badness. It seems like at every point in the movie where i had some crazy desire for them to do something, they fulfilled it. Go out and see it just to experience it once. I kinda want to read the graphic novels now

Read the graphic novels. it makes the story that much better.

(pm me, i have other means of getting it)

Hulk was a pretty good movie, but the thing is, i loved the first one. His struggle with himself was just perfect i thought. This one wasnt too much of a clash of egos, but ather just all out HULK SMASH. And it was that. Everytime on screen you all you thought was the hulk is gonna fuck shit up. Hulk vs. Abomination was awesome.

But after the movie, all you can think is that for some odd reason that movie didnt need to exist. They didnt have to make that movie at all, all the movie did was say that the avengers movie will happen.

But seriously, i liked eric bana's look of bruce banner better than edward norton.
Avengers what? What are you saying?

Does something happen after Hulk fights the Abomination?
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I think:

[spoiler]Tony Stark talks to Ross about putting a team together right at the end of the film, or something.[/spoiler]
halfnhalf wrote:But after the movie, all you can think is that for some odd reason that movie didnt need to exist. They didnt have to make that movie at all, all the movie did was say that the avengers movie will happen.
Hm, I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't disagree or agree with that. I think that it's because this film was not an 'origin' film or a continuation of the first film (it was more like an standalone issue), is the reason why you think that is so. Again, I haven't seen it, so I might be wrong about that.

From the trailers, Liv Tyler looked/acted emotionless, Ed Norton also has a lack of emotion too, but that could have been contributed to him playing a conflicted character. I'm dying to see this film, hopefully I will get some time to do so later this week.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I saw the hulk and for some odd reason i thought it was "meh." I think the problem was that my brother over hyped the movie to me so I went in expecting so much more.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I saw The Happening. Let's just say, don't get your hopes up. Some of you probably already figured that, but I had high expectations for this film, and left feeling let down. It was a really great concept, but I don't feel like M. Night pulled it off very well. He should have dedicated himself more to the idea and the R rating. I didn't think the movie was that graphic at all, not too much for a 14 year-old anyway. Plus the ending just felt flat and anti-climactic in my opinion. It's a shame too, because the cause of the event is really interesting.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Starnum wrote:I saw The Happening. Let's just say, don't get your hopes up. Some of you probably already figured that, but I had high expectations for this film, and left feeling let down. It was a really great concept, but I don't feel like M. Night pulled it off very well. He should have dedicated himself more to the idea and the R rating. I didn't think the movie was that graphic at all, not too much for a 14 year-old anyway. Plus the ending just felt flat and anti-climactic in my opinion. It's a shame too, because the cause of the event is really interesting.

put up a spoiler tag, i dont want to watch the happening after i heard how bad it was, i just want to know the ending without wasting money or time.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

[spoiler]its the plants man the plants. My brother saw it and told me that apparently all of the plants in the world evolved to release a toxin that destroys humans' self-preservation drive because they know that humans are behind global warming. something along those lines.[/spoiler]
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yep, that's pretty much it. It's a cool and interesting concept IMO, it's a shame it wasn't done better. I mean, they practically tell you in the first ten minutes of the movie what's going on. *shrugs*
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

MrFelony wrote:[spoiler]its the plants man the plants. My brother saw it and told me that apparently all of the plants in the world evolved to release a toxin that destroys humans' self-preservation drive because they know that humans are behind global warming. something along those lines.[/spoiler]
That's the dumbest thing I think I ever heard.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Prince wrote:
MrFelony wrote:[spoiler]its the plants man the plants. My brother saw it and told me that apparently all of the plants in the world evolved to release a toxin that destroys humans' self-preservation drive because they know that humans are behind global warming. something along those lines.[/spoiler]
That's the dumbest thing I think I ever heard.
Shyamalan's plots border on the line of genius and immensely stupid.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I have to agree with Prince, I thought it was dumb as hell when I heard it