Movies of '08

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Re: Movies of '08

Post by Vicissitude »

lon3vvolf wrote:great movie.
[spoiler]Sam Jackson as Nick Fury? I remember him being a white guy... whats up with that?[/spoiler]
The thing is that Marvel movies are pretty much following the Ultimate/MAX comics rather than the normal everyday 616 line.

In the Ultimate universe [spoiler]Nick Fury is black and the character was based off Samuel L Jackson's imperious visage, with his permission[/spoiler]
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

the new indiana jones movie was ridiculous and not in a good way
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

MrFelony wrote:the new indiana jones movie was ridiculous and not in a good way
[spoiler]I must concur. Knowing all the mistakes that were made with the most recent Star Wars Trilogy, you'd think George Lucas would have learned something.

Even with Steven Spileberg to play damage control, this movie never had a chance. What the hell has happened in these past twenty years to turn what was once the Midus touch of George Lucas to that of a festering leper.

There is so much I want to say in regards to my disappointment, and don't know where to begin. The same part of me that once worshipped George Lucas for breathing life into the Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies, now wants to see him succumb to a fiery death (amidst plenty of CGI explosions and pyrotechics).[/spoiler]
Last edited by The Prince on Fri May 23, 2008 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

[spoiler]aliens? are you fucking kidding me? a ufo in the movie? i would have NEVER thought they'd put a UFO in the god damn movie. and this may be because i haven't watched the old indiana jones movies in a while, but i'm pretty sure he didnt have so many ridiculous instances where he should have died but didnt occur. and the tarzan scene? hilarious.[/spoiler]
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

MrFelony wrote:[spoiler]aliens? are you fucking kidding me? a ufo in the movie? i would have NEVER thought they'd put a UFO in the god damn movie. and this may be because i haven't watched the old indiana jones movies in a while, but i'm pretty sure he didnt have so many ridiculous instances where he should have died but didnt occur. and the tarzan scene? hilarious.[/spoiler]
I haven't seen it yet, but that was my response, although I have not seen the movie yet. I have to say, that as the previous movies were based on mysticism and magical powers, this sci-fi concept felt out of place. I heard that this was all Lucas' idea, and I guess, in a way, that Lucas has lose touch with the current audience, and is still stuck in the 70's-80's era.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Eldo wrote:
MrFelony wrote:[spoiler]aliens? are you fucking kidding me? a ufo in the movie? i would have NEVER thought they'd put a UFO in the god damn movie. and this may be because i haven't watched the old indiana jones movies in a while, but i'm pretty sure he didnt have so many ridiculous instances where he should have died but didnt occur. and the tarzan scene? hilarious.[/spoiler]
I haven't seen it yet, but that was my response, although I have not seen the movie yet. I have to say, that as the previous movies were based on mysticism and magical powers, this sci-fi concept felt out of place. I heard that this was all Lucas' idea, and I guess, in a way, that Lucas has lose touch with the current audience, and is still stuck in the 70's-80's era.
Actually lucas had nothing to do with that. It's based off a myth about 13 crystal skulls being aligned in 2012 in order to save the planet from something.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

fujinsan wrote: Actually lucas had nothing to do with that. It's based off a myth about 13 crystal skulls being aligned in 2012 in order to save the planet from something.
Yeah, the secrets out.....George Lucas was just a figure-head. Its really those damn skulls who should be held responsible for calling the shots.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I mean the crystal skulls idea wasn't a bad one to begin with, it's just where he took it and how he handled it that ruined the movie. when the nazi's opened the arc, ya you "saw" god, but you didnt see him fly back up to heaven on a cloud or something insane as that. he should have kept it more low key.

[spoiler]and jones surviving a fucking nuclear bomb...you gotta be shitting me[/spoiler]
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

fujinsan wrote:Actually lucas had nothing to do with that. It's based off a myth about 13 crystal skulls being aligned in 2012 in order to save the planet from something.
[spoiler]I'm aware that the crystal skulls are based off a myth, but not the alien connection. I didn't want to say the 'alien' because of potential spoilers, which is why I said 'sci-fi concept'. Just from the reports I've read, Lucas was adamant about it being of an alien origin, rather than the usual mysticism that Indy usually deals with. I was thinking how the crystal skulls would be a good idea without the alien connection. Throughout the movie, I was thinking 'maybe something Aztec, Incan, or Mayan would be cool', but not the alien thing.

Anyway, saw the movie, didn't think it lived up to my expectations, but I still enjoyed it.[/spoiler]

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I should stop clicking on spoiler tags for movies I haven't seen...

By the way, I saw Lars and the Real Girl and I really liked it. If you're in the mood for a funny, heartwarming film (as sappy as that might sound), I really recommend it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Not to sound like a jackass (Okay, maybe a little) but when has any movie EVER fully lived up to the hype that people have for it? Indy 4 did almost exactly what I expected and there was only one real scene I though was bullshit, which was [spoiler]Shia LeBoef as the KING OF THE MONKEYS![/spoiler].
ImageImage
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Exactly, I mean, when has the 4th movie of a TRILOGY ever been good?

The plot was retarded and nonsensical, take as an example:

[spoiler]The scene in which the restored alien fried the Russian bitch with his "knowledge rays".
He was supposed to give her a reward for giving back the skull !
Why did he kill her? If you have been in contact with human civilizations for about 7000 years, you ought to know how much information a human can stand.[/spoiler]

I wasn't expecting much anyway, I only got to watch that movie because Iron man was sold out.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Rolos wrote:Exactly, I mean, when has the 4th movie of a TRILOGY ever been good?

[spoiler]The scene in which the restored alien fried the Russian bitch with his "knowledge rays".
Why did he kill her? If you have been in contact with human civilizations for about 7000 years, you ought to know how much information a human can stand.[/spoiler]

I wasn't expecting much anyway, I only got to watch that movie because Iron man was sold out.

I wasn't saying I didn't like it, I liked it a whole lot, and anyone who liked the other Indys should get a kick out of it, but people had some wack ideas about what this movie was going to do.

[spoiler]The Russian bitch said she wanted to know everything, so the aliens kindly obliged her. It's not really their fault that she couldn't handle all of their knowledge. She failed to specify that she wanted "All of the knowledge that a single human could handle." The same thing happened in Raiders. Nazis wanted the power of God, they got the power of God.[/spoiler]
ImageImage
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I definitely want to see it, but I must admit, I'm skeptical of a 65 year-old Indy and Shia LaBeouf with a sword and leather coat. We'll see though, it could be good. :P
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

I'll be watching it as part of a triple feature at the Drive-In tomorrow night. Horton Hears a Who, Iron Man and Indy... I think regardless of how good any one of them is, it is likely to be WIN WIN.
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Rolos wrote:Exactly, I mean, when has the 4th movie of a TRILOGY ever been good?

I thought that scene was reminiscent of the older movies. [spoiler]like when the nazi's were killed after opening the arc, or the guy who drank from the wrong cup. i agree that i wish it just kept it simple. KISS (keep it simple stupid) is an acronym for a reason.[/spoiler] they did several thins throughout the movie that kind of hailed back to the original trilogy, but nothing as good as him shooting that guy with the scimitars. that was classic.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Untraceable - Must be one of the worst movies so far this year.
Me and my brother was in agony after watching it for (We felt like we hade seen 3 hours) 1 hour.
Progress was really slow and everything felt out of place. Stay away from this one...

Charlie Wilsons war - This was entertaining, I liked that they had put a whole lot of humour into it. Towards the end it gets a little lost though

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

I think if you guys spent a little time researching the crystal skulls and the myths that go with them, you would find that Lucas et al did exactly what they should have. The direction the movies have always taken have paralleled the logic of Erich von Daniken of Chariots of the Gods fame. Admittedly there were a number of silly scenes but it's entertainment, not archeology. That said...

IRON MAN was AWESOME. I hope they make another one.

Also, Charlie Wilson's War: I also saw that recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. The muddling at the end was reflective of the actual events. Our government has only a limited attention span and I think the movie illustrated that pretty well.
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

the crystal skulls that exist today are all fakes that were made with "modern" tools. they had a show about it on NPR
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

MsNomer wrote:I think if you guys spent a little time researching the crystal skulls and the myths that go with them, you would find that Lucas et al did exactly what they should have. The direction the movies have always taken have paralleled the logic of Erich von Daniken of Chariots of the Gods fame. Admittedly there were a number of silly scenes but it's entertainment, not archeology. That said...
I don't think most people are complaining about the Crystal Skulls so much as they are about the aliens. I thought the aliens concept was quite weird in Indiana Jones, who has always used religion and mysticism as the main theme of the plot. The final scene with the flying saucer was a bit over the top for me. I expected each line to be snappy and witty (which Iron Man had, and I guess it spoiled me when watching other films), but they were flat and tried to be 'tough guy'. I seriously wouldn't care if the movie didn't follow closely to archeology (did the previous films do that? Not really, no), it's goddamn Indiana Jones, but the alien stuff that Lucas added in was a massive WTF for me. There were plenty of silly scenes, for example, people don't ever drown at all: they always float. Overall, it's solid entertainment, but that's probably because my expectations weren't that high to begin with, which is why my mates left the cinema screaming bloody murder.

I'm looking at the Incredible Hulk trailers and I'm just wondering how this film could be good. But I said that about Iron Man too, so I'm hoping that I would be pleasantly surprised. Was about to see Narnia, but none of my mates want to watch it, so I might have to go solo for that.

Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Last night I watched Sukiyaki Western Django. Its a remake of Fistful of Dollars or Django, which are both remakes of Kurosawa's Yojimbo, and its directed by Takashi Miike. I loved it. Its violent, stylish, comical (mostly due to it being in Engrish), and Quentin Tarantino is in it.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

MsNomer wrote:IRON MAN was AWESOME. I hope they make another one.
Eh? didn't you watch the scene after the credits? I'm sure this isn't the last time we'll be seeing Iron Man. :)
Eldo wrote:I don't think most people are complaining about the Crystal Skulls so much as they are about the aliens. I thought the aliens concept was quite weird in Indiana Jones, who has always used religion and mysticism as the main theme of the plot. The final scene with the flying saucer was a bit over the top for me. I expected each line to be snappy and witty (which Iron Man had, and I guess it spoiled me when watching other films), but they were flat and tried to be 'tough guy'. I seriously wouldn't care if the movie didn't follow closely to archeology (did the previous films do that? Not really, no), it's goddamn Indiana Jones, but the alien stuff that Lucas added in was a massive WTF for me. There were plenty of silly scenes, for example, people don't ever drown at all: they always float. Overall, it's solid entertainment, but that's probably because my expectations weren't that high to begin with, which is why my mates left the cinema screaming bloody murder.

I'm looking at the Incredible Hulk trailers and I'm just wondering how this film could be good. But I said that about Iron Man too, so I'm hoping that I would be pleasantly surprised. Was about to see Narnia, but none of my mates want to watch it, so I might have to go solo for that.
Dude, major spoilerage on the new Indiana Jones film...but seriously, aliens? WTF. That's just weird. George Lucas must be missing Star Wars now that the franchise is pretty much over, or something, heh.

As for the Incredible Hulk, I know how you feel. After the last movie sucking so bad, it makes me leary of another one, but at least it's being done with Marvel this time, so this one should be better. I kind of want to see Prince Caspian, but I can wait till the video release.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Starnum wrote:Dude, major spoilerage on the new Indiana Jones film...
Oops, at that point, I had presumed that everyone has seen it.
Starnum wrote:As for the Incredible Hulk, I know how you feel. After the last movie sucking so bad, it makes me leary of another one, but at least it's being done with Marvel this time, so this one should be better.
Yeah, there used to be a time where the directors and studio companies were in charge of the Marvel properties in film, hopefully this would change. With Ang Lee's film, he tried to push to the audience the whole 'man in the body of a monster' theme, which is generally the theme in the comics, but tried a little bit too hard that it became more of a drama than action. I felt underwhelmed with the CGI effects, and fell asleep watching it mid way through.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Eldo wrote:Oops, at that point, I had presumed that everyone has seen it.

Yeah, there used to be a time where the directors and studio companies were in charge of the Marvel properties in film, hopefully this would change. With Ang Lee's film, he tried to push to the audience the whole 'man in the body of a monster' theme, which is generally the theme in the comics, but tried a little bit too hard that it became more of a drama than action. I felt underwhelmed with the CGI effects, and fell asleep watching it mid way through.

It's okay dude. Something as stupid as aliens in a movie where they really don't belong, I don't really mind such a spoiler, b/c aliens in Indiana Jones is kind of lame, IMO. So it's no big deal. As for the last incredible hulk movie, I was really unimpressed with the CG as well. The new one looks better, but I'm going to wait till I watch it to decide how I feel about it overall.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Damn. I watched Indiana Jones at the premier.... but i fell asleep in the beginning. I don't remember hardly anything.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.