Movies of '08

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Re: Movies of '08

Post by Starnum »

Eldo wrote:Iron Man = Great movie.
Was there any doubt? :)
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Starnum wrote:
To me, yes. I never really liked Iron Man, but this was just simply superb. I never thought I could have enjoyed much more than I originally thought.

Simply put, the best superhero movie made. Better than Batman Begins, and Tony Stark in this movie is much better than Bruce Wayne any day.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

if you go see iron man, stay after the credits, it will be worth your time.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I knew they were gonna pull some bullshit like that. I cant fucking stand it any more, honestly. I'll just check it on youtube later i guess.

That movie was awesome though.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

but no this after credit bonus footage is the fucking BEST one ever.

you get to see something awesome and hear something you thought you would have never heard spoken by hollywood.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

It's an awesome footage. Although I was already forewarned about the scene after the credits, a person who works at the cinema told everyone before the movie started, so we could all catch it. Half of the people cheered after watching it.

I'll just add a spoiler tag on it, click on it at your own risk.

[spoiler]Stark walks along the corridor to his couch (the couch is the scene near where the piano was, and where Stone takes the device out of Stark's heart). The atmosphere is dimmed, he looks around in suspicion, and attempts to talk to Jarvis. The Jarvis console seems like it had been tempered with, as the wall mount looked like it was hanging out of the wall. Jarvis responds by answering him initially, and then the voice malfunctions and fades out. The camera view shoots to the couch. There is a man in the shadows behind the couch, that says 'you think you're the only superhero?' After one or two lines, the figure walks out of the shadows, and introduces himself as Nick Fury, director of SHIELD (played by Samuel L Jackson). He asks Tony Stark what he thinks of 'the Avengers Initiative', or something to that effect.[/spoiler]

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

I saw Persepolis yesterday. Wasn't sure what to expect from an animated film set in Iran but it turned out to be totally awesome. It's adapted from a set of graphic novels by an Iranian woman telling her life story so it's animated in the same sort of style. At times it's black and white and grainy (like when she's describing the war with Iraq or family being arrested), other times it's dreamy and vivid colour (like when she's flying in her boyfriend's car). The best part was the really personal angle though. She describes living through revolution, war, oppression, the Vienna metal scene, marriage, etc all from a purely selfish viewpoint. She just talks about effects on herself.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Eldo wrote:
Starnum wrote:
To me, yes. I never really liked Iron Man, but this was just simply superb. I never thought I could have enjoyed much more than I originally thought.

Simply put, the best superhero movie made. Better than Batman Begins, and Tony Stark in this movie is much better than Bruce Wayne any day.
Shit, that's awesome. I need to go see this movie. Aw man, I wonder what's after the credits! You bastards got me really curious now. :)
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Iron Man = fantastic movie.

Had my reservations about it but it kindly blew me away.

The scene after the credits got me giddy like a schoolgirl.

I like how cleverly they sidestepped a bunch of movie cliches, like the scene with Pepper and Tony at the very end.

Up there with Spider-Man 2 as far as superhero movies go.

Will probably see it again during the weekend.

Must purchase on DVD.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Femto wrote:Iron Man = fantastic movie.

Had my reservations about it but it kindly blew me away.

The scene after the credits got me giddy like a schoolgirl.

I like how cleverly they sidestepped a bunch of movie cliches, like the scene with Pepper and Tony at the very end.

Up there with Spider-Man 2 as far as superhero movies go.

Will probably see it again during the weekend.

Must purchase on DVD.
Spider Man 2 sucked!

You probably comsider a Special Platinum Edition of Elektra to be must own as well...LOL.

If you want to talk about the Gold-standard for Superhero movies, aren't we all forgetting about a small little film called Batman Begins?

And LOL at Eldo for even suggesting someone like Tony Stark being a better character than the likes of Bruce "Fuckin" Wayne. :shock:

[spoiler]Rumor has it that Tony Stark's character may have a small cameo in the upcoming Hulk film. I would assume for the sake of tying the Universe of these two films together. I also heard Paramount has finished finalizing a script for Capt. America (probably will suck due to the political correctness of HW), and already working on filming for "Antman(?)...though I never heard of this guy (sounds like a dumb character IMO).[/spoiler]

BTW.....I recall seeing a trailer for a Capt. America movie a long time ago......I believe as far back as when me and my boyz snuck into see Tango&Cash (after me mom dropped us off with tickets for Rainbow Bright And the Star Stealer) Anyway in regards to that Capt. America movie......Does any one know what the hell happened with that?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:I like how cleverly they sidestepped a bunch of movie cliches, like the scene with Pepper and Tony at the very end.
This might be quite possibly due to the improvisation of the actors, as well as the direction by Faveau. I originally cringed when the last scene with Pepper and Tony, because I thought, 'here comes the cheesiness'. If that came, that would have effectively ruined the pure awesomeness of the movie (much like a little paint smear on an excellent art work). But no, it made it into a high point.
The Prince wrote:And LOL at Eldo for even suggesting someone like Tony Stark being a better character than the likes of Bruce "Fuckin" Wayne.
Batman > Iron Man.
Tony Stark > Bruce Wayne in the movie because Robert Downey Jr. > Christian Bale.

Robert Downey Jr. Was incredibly charismatic. He had a magnetic personality with him, and he was incredibly funny. I think the improv really, really helped Downey develop the character, and made it much more interesting than the comics.

I don't like Iron Man in the comics. But this movie, man, it was great.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Just got back from the theater, went and saw Iron Man of course. Yes, it was pure win in my books. It was pretty much everything I hoped for from an Iron Man movie, and I've always been a fan of the character, even if I haven't read all the comics. The scene after the credits was awesome, totally the way you want to run that shit. I really liked the way they did the scene with Pepper and Stark at the end too. Oh, and of course Robert Downey Jr. as Stark was pure genius. So yep, just confirming that Iron Man rules. ;)

Oh yeah, and last night I watched There will be Blood, very good movie. It wasn't what I was expecting, as I didn't know what it was about. It was still really good and very interesting though. Daniel Day-Lewis did an amazing job, and the ending was way better than No Country's. :P
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Eldo wrote:
Femto wrote:I like how cleverly they sidestepped a bunch of movie cliches, like the scene with Pepper and Tony at the very end.
This might be quite possibly due to the improvisation of the actors, as well as the direction by Faveau. I originally cringed when the last scene with Pepper and Tony, because I thought, 'here comes the cheesiness'. If that came, that would have effectively ruined the pure awesomeness of the movie (much like a little paint smear on an excellent art work). But no, it made it into a high point.
The Prince wrote:And LOL at Eldo for even suggesting someone like Tony Stark being a better character than the likes of Bruce "Fuckin" Wayne.
Batman > Iron Man.
Tony Stark > Bruce Wayne in the movie because Robert Downey Jr. > Christian Bale.

Robert Downey Jr. Was incredibly charismatic. He had a magnetic personality with him, and he was incredibly funny. I think the improv really, really helped Downey develop the character, and made it much more interesting than the comics.

I don't like Iron Man in the comics. But this movie, man, it was great.
Never imagined Robert Downey Jr. making a great superhero (of all people), though a troubled alcoholic perhaps.

I will be seeing the movie tomorrow (seeing is believing)..... And since I haven't seen it yet I guess I'll keep my mind open. But it seems as though everyone I've communicated with who have seen it appear to have loved it.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Batman Begins blew.

I don't get why so many people jizz themselves over such a completely average movie.

Best Tony Stark line?

"I got caught doing a piece for Vanity Fair."
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

great movie.

Best Pepper line:
Vanity Fair lady: So you still do all of Tony Starks chores like picking up his laundry after ** years?
Pepper: Yeah, and sometimes I take out the trash too.

Not the exact words, but if you saw it then you know what I'm talking about.

[spoiler]Sam Jackson as Nick Fury? I remember him being a white guy... whats up with that?[/spoiler]
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

pluto nash still kicked both of their asses
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

hahaha

i LOVE the stupid agent doods with the long title name, and then at then end he is like naw, we dont go by that name, just call us SHEILD! AHHAHAHAHAA i loved it!!

anyone get the Mandarin refrence?!?!??! they called the terrorist group the "Ten Rings."
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

halfnhalf wrote:hahaha

i LOVE the stupid agent doods with the long title name, and then at then end he is like naw, we dont go by that name, just call us SHEILD! AHHAHAHAHAA i loved it!!

anyone get the Mandarin refrence?!?!??! they called the terrorist group the "Ten Rings."
Miyamoto Musashi was Chinese.....or was that "Five Rings"?
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Batman Begins was a great experience.

But Iron Man, BOY did it suprise the heck outta me. Didnt expect much at all, but it was absolutely fantastic fun and pure comic book aswesomeness at times. They upped the ante with adaptions like this. Really fun experience.

I missed the end credits scene, but saw it on youtube, look after it if you missed it. Very brief, but quite exciting. While reading Ultimates and seeing how Nick Fury was copy of Sam L Jackson, I was thinking to myself how they have started the process of casting for the future movies so soon. And ofcourse one was right and they had no other choice.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

ImageImage
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

iron man was a great movie. ending was great. wasn't too big of a fan of the final fight, but it was still decent. and the dark knight trailer looks awesome. heath ledger looks like he did an awesome job as the joker. if i didnt know that was him, i would never have recognized him
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Friend sent this to me. What do you guys think?

Why so similar?

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1813453
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

I was about to post this in the comic book thread because of the Punisher discussion there but its more relevant here:

http://www.punishermovie.com/

What distinguishes your take on the film over the previous Punisher film?

The last Punisher movie really was not relevant to us. There is alot of comparison to it but not anyone on my team looked at it and said "how can we be different or better?". We just did our own film. I concentrated on really making it as close to the comic book series as possible. I think we really achieved it with the look and the tone. Looking at the dailies i think im looking at the comic books from the look and feel.

Will this be a hard R? What sort of guide lines on the violence does the studio have for you?

It will definitely be a hard R and luckily LionsGate has been great about it in terms of guide lines on violence. They are a good studio to make a violent movie with and I really like a violent movie. Definitely going to be a Hard R rating.

How will this film differ from the previous Punisher films?

I get this question alot. It is not relevant. The feeling of the new movie is much darker and one thing comic fans will realize immediately is the world we created feels like the comic book world. In terms of the look, I have not seen daylight I am like a vampire so you can imagine how the movie will look. Its all dark and cold.

IGN: Speaking of being allowed to do something again, you're about to embark on what I'm sure many people hope will be the first of several great Punisher films. What was it like tackling the character?

STEVENSON (actor playing Punisher): It was fantastic. It was beyond any of my expectations. I didn't watch the Thomas Jane film beforehand. We were taking a completely new slant. We weren't doing numbers. It's not Punisher 3; it's Punisher: Warzone. We're going exclusively for the MAX series with Garth Ennis writing and Tim Bradstreet doing the cover illustrations. That was the look – the New York, night-time predator, with all the incredible, dark psyche that goes along with him. Certainly not a superhero, but an anti-hero.

So this movie doesn't pick up where the last one left off?

No, not at all. That one suffered for the fact that the mise-en-scène was wrong and what have you; so I think they decided to give it another shot. We've gone straight for the Garth Ennis–Tim Bradstreet look from the Max series [Marvel Comics' mature-content imprint], and basically rolled the dice again. It's like doing Batman Begins, not Batman 5. So what we have done is Punisher: War Zone, not Punisher Two or Three. It's Punisher: War Zone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Full interview: http://movies.ign.com/articles/840/840092p1.html

Seriously, TOTALLY unexpected and as a huge fan of Ennis's Punisher this couldnt be more promising. I only knew Ray Stevenson who is a talented actor from the brilliant Rome series, was playing him, has the look and demeanor down to the T. But I just assumed they would go for the typical hollywood action movie again, not crap story like last time (totally unwatchable hamfest), they would reboot, but had NO IDEA they were going to adapt Ennis brilliant take on Punisher, but just another generic one again. Fucking sweet.

Checked the cast, they even have Cristu Bulat from the most hardcore vl of Punisher, slavers. And the total psycho mobster that is Nicky Cavella as one of the other casts (including his goons Ink and Pittsy, and Mcginty too). Seriously, totally out of the blue, to think they are doing it, even in a half-assed way, they are going for Ennis's raw as heck and masterful depiction. Kudos to them.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

What, no Tom Jane? That kind of sucks. *shrugs*
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

He was ok with the voice, but otherwise wasnt really Punisher, he tried to play some generic psycho, not Punisher. Ray Stevenson is way more promising depiction as Punisher.