Places to visit on New York and Washington DC

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Re: Places to visit on New York and Washington DC

Post by Buzkashi »

And here I thought the state rose the drinking age to 21 because the Fed. Gov't wouldnt fund the building of highways otherwise.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

"The history of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act truly started back before Prohibition. The temperance movement used selective prohibition (drinking ages) as a stepping stone approach to their goal of outlawing all alcohol. Finally they did achieve the goal of total Prohibition of alcohol, and in 1919 the 18th amendment to the constitution was ratified. Due to the apparent ineffectiveness of Prohibition and the change in public opinion, the 18th amendment was in 1933 repealed by the 21st amendment. What followed was a compromise with the lingering temperance movement and the modern drinking age was established. "The political failure of general Prohibition meant that American adults would increasingly focus justifications for alcohol policy less on the perils of drunkenness and more on the tenuous concept that adults can drink properly but youths cannot or should not." (Males 190)

From the end of Prohibition until 1984 drinking ages were determined by the states -- many of them had the age at 21 while several lowered the age to 18 for the purchase of beer. This was changed by the activism of the "Baby Boom" generation during the Vietnam War. From 1970 through 1975 nearly all states lowered their legal ages of adulthood, thirty including their legal drinking ages, usually from 21 to 18." (Males 194) It was argued that if people were required to fight and die in a foreign war then they should be allowed the privilege of drinking alcohol. This generation exercised previously unheard-of clout and political muscle, and through years of protest and many valid arguments this generation of youth gained back some lost liberty. After this period, however, public sentiment changed. The baby boomers were aging and the freedoms they for which they fought for themselves no longer seemed important when they involved someone else.

This loss of a powerful ally allowed the modern prohibitionist movement led by Candy Lightner, the president and founder of Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), to gain strength in this country again. The late seventies and eighties were marked with an excess of highly publicized studies that claimed teenage alcohol use was out of control and was turning into a devastating problem of epidemic proportion. This and the national mood produced an environment primed for the anti-youth, anti-alcohol legislation that became the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984.

The actual bill required "all States to raise their minimum drinking age to 21 within 2 years or lose a portion of their Federal-aid highway funds; and encourage States, through incentive grants programs, to pass mandatory sentencing laws to combat drunk driving." (Thomas Senate Record Vote Analysis) The portion of the Federal-aid highway funds that would be lost if the state didn't comply amounted to 5 percent in the third year and 10 percent in the fourth year."

Source: http://www.asfar.org/zine/5th/cover.html

It's a complicated issue, but simply attributing the change to one thing, like prohibition, or highway funding is shoddy. The highway funding piece was in direct response to the MADD grassroots movement to save teenagers from dying in car wrecks.

*finishes spoon feeding, wipes your chins and wanders off*
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Basically all this sums up to is that California > New York + other 48 states.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

I will be so happy when the Big One comes and California falls into the Pacific.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

That would suck for the rest of the country.

Thats like someone on the Lakers hoping kobe to break his leg.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Buzkashi wrote:Thats like someone on the Lakers hoping kobe to break his leg.
That's a real fucking gay analogy.

The older Buzkashi gets, the lamer he gets.

Give me vintage Buzkashi plz.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

MsNomer wrote:"The history of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act truly started back before Prohibition. The temperance movement used selective prohibition (drinking ages) as a stepping stone approach to their goal of outlawing all alcohol. Finally they did achieve the goal of total Prohibition of alcohol, and in 1919 the 18th amendment to the constitution was ratified. Due to the apparent ineffectiveness of Prohibition and the change in public opinion, the 18th amendment was in 1933 repealed by the 21st amendment. What followed was a compromise with the lingering temperance movement and the modern drinking age was established. "The political failure of general Prohibition meant that American adults would increasingly focus justifications for alcohol policy less on the perils of drunkenness and more on the tenuous concept that adults can drink properly but youths cannot or should not." (Males 190)

From the end of Prohibition until 1984 drinking ages were determined by the states -- many of them had the age at 21 while several lowered the age to 18 for the purchase of beer. This was changed by the activism of the "Baby Boom" generation during the Vietnam War. From 1970 through 1975 nearly all states lowered their legal ages of adulthood, thirty including their legal drinking ages, usually from 21 to 18." (Males 194) It was argued that if people were required to fight and die in a foreign war then they should be allowed the privilege of drinking alcohol. This generation exercised previously unheard-of clout and political muscle, and through years of protest and many valid arguments this generation of youth gained back some lost liberty. After this period, however, public sentiment changed. The baby boomers were aging and the freedoms they for which they fought for themselves no longer seemed important when they involved someone else.

This loss of a powerful ally allowed the modern prohibitionist movement led by Candy Lightner, the president and founder of Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), to gain strength in this country again. The late seventies and eighties were marked with an excess of highly publicized studies that claimed teenage alcohol use was out of control and was turning into a devastating problem of epidemic proportion. This and the national mood produced an environment primed for the anti-youth, anti-alcohol legislation that became the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984.

The actual bill required "all States to raise their minimum drinking age to 21 within 2 years or lose a portion of their Federal-aid highway funds; and encourage States, through incentive grants programs, to pass mandatory sentencing laws to combat drunk driving." (Thomas Senate Record Vote Analysis) The portion of the Federal-aid highway funds that would be lost if the state didn't comply amounted to 5 percent in the third year and 10 percent in the fourth year."

Source: http://www.asfar.org/zine/5th/cover.html

It's a complicated issue, but simply attributing the change to one thing, like prohibition, or highway funding is shoddy. The highway funding piece was in direct response to the MADD grassroots movement to save teenagers from dying in car wrecks.

*finishes spoon feeding, wipes your chins and wanders off*
Thanks for the info... :thumb:

Fucking MADD......I hope they all get run over by a drunk teenager in a Humvee....

Anyone know of any good group giving a concert in the area at that time (between the 27th of April and the 20th of May)?
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Femto: The truth hurts.

Like getting sodomized by a large black male.

Do you concur?
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Rolos wrote:Anyone know of any good group giving a concert in the area at that time (between the 27th of April and the 20th of May)?
I'm actually from around the area. Can you be more specific? What do you want to do... night club/arena concert/rap event?

Theres a ton of places to get your kicks in DC. Who knows, if you want maybe we could meet up somewhere.

(And no, I'm not implying anything gay)
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I am trying to find out which groups will be offering ( I don't know which word should I use.....playing a concert, hosting a concert? ) a concert at that area around that date, because, well, I thought it would be pretty cool to assist to a concert while being on other country.

What kind of group? Anything having to do with rock or metal (except death metal) would be awesome, as long as its not POP. Man, I hate that shit.

Edit: Wow, are you implying that D.C. is just outside of Midland? And I thought that it was a fictional place...
~Diogenes of Sinope
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

does anyone know of any plces here on new york where I can buy berserk?
~Diogenes of Sinope
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

You could check a Barnes and Noble. There's one in Union Square which, around 17th and 3rd, but you're probably in mid-manhattan...
Trust me, I'm a doctor!