Superhero comics and other comics.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Re: Superhero comics and other comics.

Post by Buzkashi »

Ask him if spider-man is based off a real life person!
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

halfnhalf wrote:Okay so I'm taking this one class at school called American Superheroes and all we do is discuss how superheroes embody the American ideals. Somehow my professor is able to get the man, Stan fucking Lee to come talk to us and also allow for a little QandA aswell. Now question wise, i am fucking clueless about what to ask him. Knowing how much most of you guys are comicbook fans what questions do you want to ask him???
Ask him why he doesn't look like an Asian?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Femto wrote:Ask him what he thinks about Quesada having Spider-Man make a deal with the devil to undo his marriage.
Bingo. If someone doesn't ask this PLEASE do so. It would be great to see if Stan approves, or even realizes what Quesada has done to his brain child.

halfnhalf: "So Mr Lee, what do you think of Joe Quesada using the devil to break up Peter Parker's marriage supposedly so he can feel more like a "real" character?
Lee: "Ha ha son, good joke! An EXCELSIOR joke, even."
halfnhalf: "No I'm serious, Mephisto retconned pretty much all of Civil War for Spider-Man because he wanted the satisfaction of knowing him and Mary Jane had true love and lost it or some bullshit."
Lee: "Good Lord! Pardon me true believers, I'll be right back..."
*Lee takes a trip to Marvel HQ*
Lee: "WHAT IN GOD'S NAME HAVE YOU DONE YOU TUBBY, FROSTED HAIRED BASTARD?!?"
Joe: "What? Most of our readers are unmarried, melancholy nerds living with their relatives, this makes Spider-Man their hero again!"
*Stan throws Quesada out of a 20th story window*
Stan:"... 'Nuff said. EXCELSIOR! Wooooooooooosh!
*Stan proceeds to run around with his arms in front of him like ala Freakazoid*

But seriously, ask him something about that, or retcons in general and if he feels they take away from the impact of stories or the mythos in general , especially for Marvel which from a conceptual standpoint is supposed to be the more "realistic" company (In terms of public opinion on heroes, the morality of vigilantism. etc.)

Also, if you ever get the chance to on a test or a paper, be sure to use the term "Magic" as an answer, then if your teacher tells you that doesn't make any sense, tell him "It's magic, we don't need to explain it."
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The Prince wrote:
halfnhalf wrote:Okay so I'm taking this one class at school called American Superheroes and all we do is discuss how superheroes embody the American ideals. Somehow my professor is able to get the man, Stan fucking Lee to come talk to us and also allow for a little QandA aswell. Now question wise, i am fucking clueless about what to ask him. Knowing how much most of you guys are comicbook fans what questions do you want to ask him???
Ask him why he doesn't look like an Asian?
Hahahaha.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Apparently...
While Alonso was still talking about this issue, Marvel Comics icon Stan Lee joined the stage, saying "Who here is responsible for Spider-Man being single again?"

He then added that he thought it was "a great idea," and then gave Quesada some compliments before leaving.
http://www.newsarama.com/nycomiccon2008 ... pOjoe.html

Also, Countdown drawing to a close. Yay.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I just got Punisher 56,Criminal 2, War is Hell 1,Chronicles of Wormwood. 75 % of those comics written by Ennis ;) I dig the guy so much that i bought a comic with art from the worst artist i have read aka Howard Chaykin.

Any Max Punisher fan here ? I wonder what you think the new three crime writers.

I thought it sucks totaly that they didnt get a big name and a quality comics writer instead of crime writers and takes a chance with the most hailed and consistent Punisher series ever.

There isnt a chance i will dump the series though. Punisher has grown to my favorit character in Marvel that i will have to read the worst comic ever to even think about dumping it.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Did you get the latest Invincible? If not, I couldnt wait more and downloaded the latest stuff, will read them soon unless it doesnt take so long anymore to be available in store.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Anyone know what's going on with the hulk after World War Hulk? I feel like he was the center of attention for so long and then he just disappeared.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Buzkashi wrote:Anyone know what's going on with the hulk after World War Hulk? I feel like he was the center of attention for so long and then he just disappeared.
Red Hulk has appeared, his identity has not been revealed yet, Rick Jones is the new Abomination, Bruce Banner is under custody (presumably SHIELD or American military).

Yeah, I love Punisher MAX, and Swierczynski's Force of Nature was pretty good. Hurwitz's Foolkiller was decent, nothing outstanding. But no matter how good their writing is, it's always going to be compared to Ennis'. I haven't bothered with War is Hell, because I don't really like Chaykin, but Chaykin's old stuff looks pretty good.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

I love the MAX line. Even Nick Fury MAX was decent, if not up to the same level as the Punisher series. Ennis' writing is badass among badasses. I like the moral grey areas he's taken the Punisher over the years. This latest arc is putting him up against a team of decent (character-wise) soldiers, ordered by the military bigwigs he screwed over a few months back, during that whole arc in Russia. They're soldiers just like Frank was (still is, really). They don't fit the mold of those in need of 'punishment.'

Moving on, has anyone checked out Fell? Pretty weird comic about a detective sent 'over the bridge' to a new precinct due to making a decision few people agreed with. Some good writing combined with bizzare circumstances make it a pretty interesting read. It's almost like a detective story set in Silent Hill, only no 'monsters.' Just human craziness.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Havent read Nick Fury's Max, but just being half of Punishers Ennis means its great for me. Havent enjoyed anything in a long time as Ennis's Punisher.

Fell is bit fascinating in morbid and gritty unique way. Only read few issues, not sure what to expect or where its going, but stylistically refreshing.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Vicissitude wrote:I love the MAX line. Even Nick Fury MAX was decent, if not up to the same level as the Punisher series. Ennis' writing is badass among badasses. I like the moral grey areas he's taken the Punisher over the years. This latest arc is putting him up against a team of decent (character-wise) soldiers, ordered by the military bigwigs he screwed over a few months back, during that whole arc in Russia. They're soldiers just like Frank was (still is, really). They don't fit the mold of those in need of 'punishment.'

Moving on, has anyone checked out Fell? Pretty weird comic about a detective sent 'over the bridge' to a new precinct due to making a decision few people agreed with. Some good writing combined with bizzare circumstances make it a pretty interesting read. It's almost like a detective story set in Silent Hill, only no 'monsters.' Just human craziness.

Which is why i love Ennis. He has made Frank more than the generic Punisher he was. In the last issue 56 which i bought couple of days ago since here in sweden we are weeks after US realese wise. I liked seeing how Frank doesnt want to hurt the Delta team. It shows he isnt a simple killer that most nun Max Punisher fans think.

These crime writers stories sound like good crime stories but not Punisher stories. In previews you see Frank getting captured by regual scum, that just doesnt happen when even special forces has trouble getting him.

Fell is very good, shame it comes out like twice a year. Heh i also thought it was a detective story in Silent Hill except no monsters, i thought that in issue 1 .
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Libaax wrote:
Vicissitude wrote:I love the MAX line. Even Nick Fury MAX was decent, if not up to the same level as the Punisher series. Ennis' writing is badass among badasses. I like the moral grey areas he's taken the Punisher over the years. This latest arc is putting him up against a team of decent (character-wise) soldiers, ordered by the military bigwigs he screwed over a few months back, during that whole arc in Russia. They're soldiers just like Frank was (still is, really). They don't fit the mold of those in need of 'punishment.'
The Punisher don't kill cops or soldiers, unless they're foreign ones or corrupt. Like Russians. Those soldiers are just following orders, so I don't think they really deserve some punishing.

Ennis gives people like Fury and Castle added depth. Before, they were just the tough guy characters. The Punisher was just some guy who waged war on the mob. That's really it, wasn't it? But Ennis manages to make it character driven, analyses his psyche, morals, and ethics. He's made the Punisher much more interesting than when he was originally conceived.

Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

The writing also makes for a real look into Frank himself. During the Slavers arc, he throws a woman against a reinforced window until he basically batters it out of the frame and thinks "It's been a long time since I hated anyone as much as I hate these people." And when he's unloading a .60 into a group of Mob soldiers. "Even here, unloading entire belts into a human wall... Do I feel something like peace..."
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I think the arc where he kills Micky Cavella was satisfying. The guy digs up his family to take a piss on them. And there's this scene where the Punisher is resting his eyes for a minute and in his dream, the setting was like a post apocalyptic scene with bodies littered everywhere, and his family runs up to him and says 'we'll still dead'. That was a memorable scene.

And also, I re-read Garth's early volumes of Punisher, the one with the light hearted dark comedy tone (Welcome Back Frank). Man, I haven't read that in months and I just sat on my chair laughing my arse off. Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read in comics. Sometimes I wonder why Ennis changed his writing style into what Punisher currently is now, but I'm not complaining. Also, check out Punisher Kills Marvel Universe.

Also, do any of you read the Boys? It's pretty good, but I don't think it's actually anything mind blowing.

Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

That was a good arc, since it showed that Frank was really getting affected by it all. That dream showed him that he didn't know if he'd be able to stop, as he turns the gun on a group of civilians when he's done with the criminals. Then he wakes up and realizes he fell asleep in the car with his heavy machine gun uncovered in the back seat.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Eldo wrote:
Libaax wrote:
The Punisher don't kill cops or soldiers, unless they're foreign ones or corrupt. Like Russians. Those soldiers are just following orders, so I don't think they really deserve some punishing.

Ennis gives people like Fury and Castle added depth. Before, they were just the tough guy characters. The Punisher was just some guy who waged war on the mob. That's really it, wasn't it? But Ennis manages to make it character driven, analyses his psyche, morals, and ethics. He's made the Punisher much more interesting than when he was originally conceived.

I dont think he has problems with killing foreign soldeiers like the russians in Mother Russia. They arent his brother in arms like US soldeirs. Even if he respect them, he will kill them when they are after him. I dont think he would hunt them unless they went corrupt or goes after him like Zahakarov in Man of Stone.

I reread Mother Russia yesterday and it was even better than i remember. Its a shame he didnt do an Max series with Fury Ennis. I like his old weary soldeir version of Fury. He is much more real than the one that tries to deal in superhero world. He works better in Max cause his military/spy works better in dark realistic world like Max Punisher world and not in registeration crap and SI event.

Best line of Mother Russia. Man of Stone calling Frank not an american but russian born in the wrong country.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I guess they really are bringing Barry Allen back.

I convinced myself that I wanted him to stay dead and then I read DC Universe 0 earlier today.

All I have to say is:

Bring on the Barry Allen comics.
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

Libaax wrote:I dont think he has problems with killing foreign soldeiers like the russians in Mother Russia. They arent his brother in arms like US soldeirs. Even if he respect them, he will kill them when they are after him. I dont think he would hunt them unless they went corrupt or goes after him like Zahakarov in Man of Stone.
I think he has no qualms with killing them because they're soldiers. Soldiers die in war. It's not a brothers in arms thing, I think. Soldier follow orders and fight other soldiers according to the rules of engagement. They do not intentionally harm civilians (or, proper soldiers do not, anyway). Frank is a soldier, through and through, even if he's taken his war to those who harm the innocent.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Vicissitude wrote:
Libaax wrote:I dont think he has problems with killing foreign soldeiers like the russians in Mother Russia. They arent his brother in arms like US soldeirs. Even if he respect them, he will kill them when they are after him. I dont think he would hunt them unless they went corrupt or goes after him like Zahakarov in Man of Stone.
I think he has no qualms with killing them because they're soldiers. Soldiers die in war. It's not a brothers in arms thing, I think. Soldier follow orders and fight other soldiers according to the rules of engagement. They do not intentionally harm civilians (or, proper soldiers do not, anyway). Frank is a soldier, through and through, even if he's taken his war to those who harm the innocent.

Thats correct to some points. I dont think he has problems killing any soldeir in a war or a mission like the one in Mother Russia. Its way different when they send US soldeirs after him that are just doing their jobs and getting used like in Valley Forge storyline. Thats he didnt just waste them like the generals were counting on. I mean one of them even said in 56 that he admired Frank's military skills.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:I guess they really are bringing Barry Allen back.

I convinced myself that I wanted him to stay dead and then I read DC Universe 0 earlier today.

All I have to say is:

Bring on the Barry Allen comics.
DC Universe has made DC much more interesting than Countdown did in 52 weeks.

But I'm conflicted as to Barry Allen's 'resurrection'. I don't like it one bit. Also, DC hasn't gotten the story right about what happened to the Flashes from Infinite Crisis and stuff.
Vicissitude wrote:I think he has no qualms with killing them because they're soldiers. Soldiers die in war. It's not a brothers in arms thing, I think. Soldier follow orders and fight other soldiers according to the rules of engagement. They do not intentionally harm civilians (or, proper soldiers do not, anyway). Frank is a soldier, through and through, even if he's taken his war to those who harm the innocent.
Well, Frank used to be in the US marines, so I thought that he might have some respect for the US military in general, but if they start hurting civilians or are corrupt, then it's on.

The soldiers hasn't really done anything yet except surveillance, so I don't think Frank will shoot them in the back (literally, not figuratively) anytime soon.

MournfulWoods
This is my new home

Post by MournfulWoods »

I need some suggestions as to what I should be reading, nest. I love Brian K. Vaughan's stuff, even though I've only read Y The Last Man and Runaways Vol3 HC. I'm not sure about Ex Machina, at first Glance it looks kinda weird. I also love The Walking Dead, The Luna Brothers' Stuff as well as alternative comics like The Pushman and Other Stories. I'm searching for Standalone Graphic Novels or collected HC that have strong stories and characters, dark mood, apocalyptic fiction or Film Noir/horror kind of stuff. Weird stuff, like 20th Century Boys.

Any Suggestions ?

Marvel Zombies 2 was horrible.
http://backalleybazaar.wordpress.com
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Anything by Warren Ellis is enjoyable at the very least.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Final Crisis disappointed me a bit. It's a steady and solid story, but it's nothing like the hype suggests. I think it's too early to judge right now, so I'll be waiting for more issues to come out before I bash/praise it.

I thought the first issue of Secret Invasion was better than Final Crisis though. Probably because in Final Crisis, I didn't care for the monitors. The monitors were a mess in Countdown, so I didn't feel for them. Secret Invasion had more action, and was a pretty decent read throughout.

Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The first issue of Secret Invasion left me completely uninterested in the entire event.

The first issue of Final Crisis, while perhaps a little bland, has me excited for things to come.

[spoiler]The Martian Manhunter's death was bullshit though.[/spoiler]