Currently Watching?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Viktorr87
imanewbie

Re: Currently Watching?

Post by Viktorr87 »

I'm out of here.
Last edited by Viktorr87 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Viktorr87 wrote:Let's see, I just finished Black Lagoon, well worth the -quite short- time it took.
It's been recently discussed as I see, so I'd only add, that a hard-drinking psychopat half-chinese anime version of Lara Croft is a sight to behold! :D
Revy kicks literally ass. Lara Croft doesn't even compare to her :)
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Kekkaishi is finished. So is Clannad
It was good anime series which I´ll miss. However Clannad got a little boring towards the end.
Anyone reading the Kekkaishi manga and can tell if its worth reading?

Edit: Scratch that, Ive already begun on the manga :D

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

Ghost Hound is addictive.
The way the story sucks up the viewer is rarely witnessed in anime.
Very well thought plot. Probably this and the character development give Ghost Hound the power to seduce the audience.
Brilliant!
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Never seen Ghost Hound but will check it out.

They have released a new episode of Darker Than Black, is there going to be a new season?
The story in this episode didnt begin where the last ended though so Im a little confused if its just this one episode.

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

The amazingly bizzare and bewilderingly fascinating Baccano! (if the first sentence is enough for you to try it, do so, instead of read on me ranting about it and perhaps influencing your view of it, its better to watch it not knowing shit abou it). Very interesting, mysterious and noire-sh untypical anime. The multiple storytelling and non-linnear back and forth timeline is quite compelling. Once you lose the headache you get from getting immersed to it in first 2 eps (feels way too random until you realise its a tiny thin red line to it hehe), and get used to the style,its a cool joyride.

I hardly say many series are a must, but even if not best I have seen, its IMO a must to see if you want a story being told in a very new and fresh way. Its quite the huge ensemble story, 1930s new york mafia setting to start with, first glance bit of detective&heist movie style setting of dozens of characters in a chance inviroment with all their little excentric agendas.

Only 13 eps btw.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I am watching Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion right now. What an incredibly good series!!

It totally caught me off-guard, I mean, I never thought it was going to be such a well conceived piece of art.

The drawing style is awesome, the storyline is extraordinary and the music.....oh man, the music......the music is just gold!

I have to admit I am starting to feel a little disturbed about the fact that I simply cant stop watching it, just like it happened with death-note (which was great 'till chapter 27).

May be it has something to do with my repressed megalomania......
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Been on an anime binge lately.

Got the first season of Grappler Baki. Watched it all. Great anime.

Got all of Tenjou tenge for like $10! Watched the first 2 dvds and its not too bad. I just like fighting animes. (Go Airmaster!)

Watched Ninja Scroll the series. I dunno about this one. It sucks donkey balls compared to the movie.

And Eyeshield 21! Up to episode 123. I think its stopping at 150. Its a really great series if you like football & anime.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

After watching Bleach up to episode 166, I started with the first few episodes of Ergo Proxy yesterday. Looks like an extremely promising anime, the society depicted in it and the story so far really pulls me in. Plus it somehow reminds me of Texhnolyze which is always a good thing.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

wolf and spice
d-gray man
One piece
bleach
Naruto
To-love-ru
Kanokon

Peace Maker
Chrono Crusade

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I just started watching Kekkaishi, and so far, I haven't seen anything special about it. I am already on the 13th episode and, to be honest, I am finding it very difficult to keep watching it.
I had read only good things about it, and with all those recommendations, I was expecting either great artwork or an incredibly absorbing plot. Instead, I found a semi-retarded main character, an unattractive (esthetically speaking) drawing style and a plot that just doesn't develop.

Seriously, Whats so special about this series?
~Diogenes of Sinope
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Watched up to episode 17 of Ergo Proxy yesterday. It gets even more awesome as the episodes pass. Especially the 15th and 16th were sweet. 15 because of the whole Quizshow, and especially the dialog:

Q: Who invented dynamite?
A: Dynamito-san!

Q: What is the name of this song?
(intro starts playing)

And Ep 16, while nothing big happened it it, hat A LOT of character exposure.
Azurian
imanewbie

Post by Azurian »

Just finished Wolf's Rain.
The last 3 episodes were so damn sad. O.O
Great show.

Gonna start watching Baccano! in a few weeks.
Hopefully it'll be as good as people say it is.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Tempz
Found the Edit button

Post by Tempz »

Been watching Juuni Kokki and just waiting till the last ep of Ghost Hound is subbed to finish it.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tempz :sleep:
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I'll play some more COD4 now, and after that I'll watch the first episode of Code Geass. I hope it's as good as everyone says. From the screenshots I can only say that I don't really fancy the drawing style, but meh. If the story and characters deliver I can live with that ('twas the same with Gilgamesh).

But I'm kinda sad that I've watched every Ergo Proxy episode now... that was one of the best, if not the single best Anime I've ever seen.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Man!!! I just finished watching Ergo Proxy and it was fucking awesome!!!

One of the best series I have ever watched.

The ending was extraordinary (and unlike Texhnolyze's, this one didn't triggered a long brooding depression) and so was the the way the plot developed while the information about why the world was so fucked up was made available.

[spoiler]The "Quiz from Hell" episode was amazing. By far the best possible way to explain the things that almost led to our world's destruction.
Besides, the methane Hydrate part was actually true. If anyone want more information about it, read "The Fifth Day"[/spoiler]
~Diogenes of Sinope
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Yeah Ergo Proxy totally rocks. And what you say is true, Texhnolyze had a completely and utterly depressing, almost mindshattering ending. Ergo Proxy's was while not light-hearted at least bearable, and dare I say, a happy ending considering the story.

I ditched the effort to start with Code Geass yesterday and started with the melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya instead. Watched 6 episodes and really, really like it so far.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

If you have any interest in an spy action with a hardcore main character watch Golgo 13 !!

I was really impressed by the first ep.
Last edited by Libaax on Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Aetherfukz wrote:Yeah Ergo Proxy totally rocks. And what you say is true, Texhnolyze had a completely and utterly depressing, almost mindshattering ending. Ergo Proxy's was while not light-hearted at least bearable, and dare I say, a happy ending considering the story.

I ditched the effort to start with Code Geass yesterday and started with the melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya instead. Watched 6 episodes and really, really like it so far.

Dude, you cant just discard Code Geass. I am just saying, judging a series only from its art-style isn't exactly smart.

I mean, just give it a try, If you watch the first 5 episodes and still don't like it, then you can ditch it.

Just my opinion though.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Rolos wrote:Man!!! I just finished watching Ergo Proxy and it was fucking awesome!!!

One of the best series I have ever watched.

The ending was extraordinary (and unlike Texhnolyze's, this one didn't triggered a long brooding depression) and so was the the way the plot developed while the information about why the world was so fucked up was made available.

[spoiler]The "Quiz from Hell" episode was amazing. By far the best possible way to explain the things that almost led to our world's destruction.
Besides, the methane Hydrate part was actually true. If anyone want more information about it, read "The Fifth Day"[/spoiler]
I gave up on Ergo like 15 episodes in, when I was like WHAT the FUCK is going on 90% of the time, I said screw this.

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Rolos wrote:Dude, you cant just discard Code Geass. I am just saying, judging a series only from its art-style isn't exactly smart.

I mean, just give it a try, If you watch the first 5 episodes and still don't like it, then you can ditch it.

Just my opinion though.
I didn't discard it, I just put watching it on hold until I finish Haruhi which will be today because I only have 2 episodes left. So I'll start with Code Geass today then :D
Damien wrote: I gave up on Ergo like 15 episodes in, when I was like WHAT the FUCK is going on 90% of the time, I said screw this.
Dude you're missing out on on of the best animes ever. Especially the last few episodes clear up alot of questions about the Proxies, the Domes and pretty much everything.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I just started watching The Melancholy Of Harushi Suzumiya.

The first episode itself was boring, but what the narrator was saying was just hilarious.
Things like: "Now, If you would be so nice to accept this non-sensical transition, and ignore the painfully obvious inconsistencies of this sad attempt to create a coherent story, lets move on to the next phase of the movie" are what made me laugh out loud.

The second episode, on the other hand, with its "lolita" thing and the introduction of the main characters, was extremely fun to watch. I am very critic towards anime comedies (for example, I think Azumanga Daioh is the most boring piece of crap I will ever see on a screen, even though many people believe it to be the most extraordinary comedy anime ever), but I think this series is extremely promising.

So, Aetherfukz, what do you think of Code Geass by now?
~Diogenes of Sinope
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Rolos wrote:I just started watching The Melancholy Of Harushi Suzumiya.

The first episode itself was boring, but what the narrator was saying was just hilarious.
Things like: "Now, If you would be so nice to accept this non-sensical transition, and ignore the painfully obvious inconsistencies of this sad attempt to create a coherent story, lets move on to the next phase of the movie" are what made me laugh out loud.
Yeah everytime Kyon breaks the 4th wall is brilliant. Concering Code Geass... I'm somehow on the whole highschool comedy trip right now so I started watching Lucky Star yesterday which made me laugh out loud almost every episode until now. But after that I'm sure to start Code Geass :)
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

Rolos wrote:I just started watching The Melancholy Of Harushi Suzumiya.

The second episode, on the other hand, with its "lolita" thing and the introduction of the main characters, was extremely fun to watch. I am very critic towards anime comedies (for example, I think Azumanga Daioh is the most boring piece of crap I will ever see on a screen, even though many people believe it to be the most extraordinary comedy anime ever), but I think this series is extremely promising.
Yeah, I was like WTF during the first episode of Melancholy, but I kept going because it was ranked #3 on an annual top 100 anime poll from Japan and ended up falling in love with it. I'm looking forward to the second season. Azumanga is pretty fun in its original form as a three panel comic strip but I agree that I don't think it translated well into anime... but I can't give it a fair shake because I could only find the English dub which was horrific.