Martial Arts

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Biketrialer
imanewbie

Re: Martial Arts

Post by Biketrialer »

Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Poor Henderson, this mofo is too unreal! Image Image Image Image
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Shaka Zulu wrote:Image

Poor Henderson, this mofo is too unreal! Image Image Image Image
Dude is scary right now.

Is not the fact that he just wins, but he has made some of the best fighters in the world look like amateurs.

At this point he's not fighting his competition, so much as he's toying with them.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I remember watching his first fight in the UFC against Leben, who is infamous for being able to take quite a beating and still keep going, and Silva took him down with strikes in like minute one of the first round. Insane.
ImageImage
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

can anyone stop him?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Bandwidth exceeded? No, I don't think I can. :lol:
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Alright, I wrote this on my blog, but its been on my mind for a long time. Didn't get into all the detail I wanted but its late and whatever...

I'd like for this to be neat and proper with backed up arguments and a logical sequence but I doubt that will happen as this has annoyed me for the longest time. Its one of those instances where your point is correct yet the vast majority wont agree with you. Its akin smashing a square shaped block into a circular hole. Its also something I'm still debating whether I should write it out or save my time... besides what else am I going to do at 1 am?

I'm talking about the misconceptions of martial arts. Perhaps I should use this as the title? *shrugs* Where do I begin with this convoluted mess thats now called 'martial arts?' *Groans and shakes head*

My biggest gripe will come in a bit, but I guess the correct start would be with the actual term. Martial arts; martial artist. These terms apply to anyone who has learned and practices any type of martial art. But this is inaccurate. The term martial art originated from Europeans who needed to name their own fighting arts, obviously after Mars the god of war. Whats upsetting about this is the differences between Western Martial Arts and Eastern Martial Arts got lost in translation. I'm pretty sure the white man never thought of a monk going step by step though form when he came up with this term. They just needed a name for something they did, whereas the Eastern 'martial arts' were a philosophy and a way of life. So when the white man came over he saw what he thought was people fighting each other he decided to keep the same name. A way of life... lost in translation, and thats just the crux of the problem. I'm not even going to try and get into the differences of each art, that would require a lifetime.

The biggest problem in 'martial arts' would be MMA. I'm talking about Mixed Martial Arts, or basically the gang-rape of everything Eastern Martial Arts stood for. There are so many things wrong with calling MMA mixed martial arts. First, it stands against everything those philosophies teach. Combat is a last resort, as a self-defense. Second, the whole 'art' aspect is stripped. No training in anything but combat. No mental education, no search for self betterment, no other aspect than fighting someone. Breaking, forms, 1-step sparring, weapons... forget about it. Third, the word 'mixed' takes away from all martial arts, basically stating they are not good enough alone, incomplete, and need more. I could go on forever, but in short: putting two guys in a ring and telling them to beat the crap out of each other does not constitute as anything close to martial arts.

Almost missed another issue I have with MMA. And I'm not going into pre-modern grappling/wrestling since I see the two as totally different and have no problem with the latter. Well, not really with MMA but with the majority of people who watch it. They'll see a Diego Sanchez, or a Matt Hughes in action and think "holy shit, these guys are so badass! They could f*ck up those Kung-Fu or Karate dudes in an instant!" While the traditional martial artist will know the previously named have only trained to fight other people. And those traditional martial artists do not train for that purpose. They'll reach a conclusion that "those aren't true martial artists." This happened, and its created one of the biggest rifts between individuals who practice the same 'martial art.' You put a MMA fan with a traditional MA fan into the same room and they'll go at it for hours. Its horrible, they wont come to agreement or any compromise.

Now I'm not saying that modern MMA is a bad thing. No no, not at all. Its the fact that it turns something that was once a lifestyle into a sport. These guys are fighting for money after all? Therefor it should just be called that. Mixed Martial Sport. It fits.

If one argues and says MMA is a legitimate martial art, then you will have to bestow that honor on XMA, Parkour, and tricking as well. Lets begin with XMA. The X stands for eXtreme in XMA. No, this is not some sort of hidden way to kill people. Its the complete opposite of MMA, mostly focusing on flash and severely lacking in real world application. XMA is like the Ms. South Carolina of the Martial Arts world. She may look alright, but lacks everything else. Thats it, XMA is just for show. There are forms, and weapons, however they're greatly modified. The weapons are much lighter, so they can be spun around easily and thrown. And throwing your weapon to most martial artists, is dishonoring yourself and your weapon. The forms? A jumble of random movements thrown together with a lot of flashy kicks/flips. Looks good, but hardly effective. Just think of XMA as a cross between a dance/gymnastics routine and martial arts. Still credit needs to be given, thought ineffective in combat, it is true to the art aspect.

The next two I'm putting in the same category because I'm tired and its getting late. Parkour aims to move one from one place to another as quickly and efficiently as possible. It should be a martial art. Why you ask? Its the perfect self defense. It uses your momentum to let you do physical acts normally not possible. Getting away from someone before they have a chance to touch you is a victory in itself. It also aims for each persons self-development and improvement. That is a martial art. I also love the fact that its creators have formed a non-rivalry agreement preventing it from becoming tainted.
Tricking, and no I don't mean the type of tricking females do on street corners. I believe tricking has the most to do with self development. It takes parts from martial arts, gymnastics, breakdancing and puts them together into one package concentrating on linking difficult moves together. Ernie Reyes Sr. formed the West Coast Action Team who put together harder and more complex moves. They were the originators of tricking. Though it is competitive, the majority of practitioners only compete against themselves to see who can come up with the best combos. While relatively new, having been only around between 10-20 years, tricking has grown greatly. Like Parkour it does not have any specific rules or restrictions. Whatever you can link and land is fair game.

I stop here. With all these different types of martial arts its easy to get a skewed view. Differences between traditional and modern. Differences between East and West. Hell, even TaeKwonDo is divided. You've got the WTF and the ITF, but thats for another day.

Just a rant, take it for what it is.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

All "mixed martial arts" was originally was a competition which allowed for people of different martial arts backgrounds to compete, rather than holding different competitions for different martial arts styles. For instance, someone who practiced Taekwondo could compete against someone who practiced Karate. The only reason the sport evolved into what it is now, where fighters learn a bit of everything instead of mastering one, is because the level of competitors has risen greatly. Wrestlers and grapplers have a great advantage in a 1 on 1 fight, so people with striking styles learn wrestling to be able to resist or counter wrestling styles. Wrestlers learn striking and striking defense because they don't want to get hit with a lucky punch when they're on their feet. If you don't atleast know the basics of everything you have no hope anymore.

It's ironic though, if MMA is such an abomination to Eastern Martial Arts, why are most of the MMA competitions hosted by Japan and Korea? I understand that you're unhappy with the state of Martial Arts today, but I honestly don't believe martial arts were ever just meant to be a "way of life". From the very start, Martial Arts ARE fighting styles. They were originally concepted to enable a person to win in a fight. It's like saying that sword fighting styles weren't created to kill people, or that the Katana was created as a piece of art instead of a deadly killing tool.

My belief is that Martial Arts became a thing of spiritual discipline after it became useless in war, the same way in which fencing and swordplay did.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Of course martial arts were created for the purpose of fighting/self-defense numbnuts.

Living by the "warriors code" or "spartan lifestlye" or whatever you'd like to call it is just as much a part of it though.

To master or be great at anything you need to be disciplined, whether its your body, mind, or soul. Preferably all of the above.

I remember in another thread people where posting videos of themselves or friends fighting/sparring. I cant say I've fought in any competitions or anything but I'd like to see those who have competed. Considering they have footage.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Shut up, moron.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

See maddog. Femto agrees. Now go back to your bucket.

Femto: I expect you over for my ritual ball waxing tomorrow 7pm sharp. And thats pacific time biotch.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Buzkashi wrote:biotch.
I prefer to use beeyatch.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

Buzkashi wrote:Of course martial arts were created for the purpose of fighting/self-defense numbnuts.

Living by the "warriors code" or "spartan lifestlye" or whatever you'd like to call it is just as much a part of it though.

To master or be great at anything you need to be disciplined, whether its your body, mind, or soul. Preferably all of the above.

I remember in another thread people where posting videos of themselves or friends fighting/sparring. I cant say I've fought in any competitions or anything but I'd like to see those who have competed. Considering they have footage.
"Warrior's code", or "Spartan lifestyle" doesn't sound exactly like what lon3vvolf was describing. I reckon any MMA fighter puts themself through a pretty Spartan lifestyle. Training 6 hours a day, constant dieting, going without water for days so they can make weight, long distance jogging to build stamina, etc. It's just that "Western" people don't include religion and/or spiritualism in their regime. They still learn discipline of the body and mind, even if they don't meditate on a rock under a waterfall. As for the soul, well that depends on if you believe we have one. :P
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I dig. But I have friends who got to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo who have drank with Chuck Lidell. There's a reason that guy has a belly... :beer:
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Femto wrote:
Buzkashi wrote:biotch.
I prefer to use beeyatch.
The opinion of the person who removes hair from my genitals holds no weight with me.

Femto..... don't be late tomorrow.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I'm so good at shaving balls that I make a living out of it.

I make a living out of balls, much like an urologist lives off cock.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Just so everyone else is aware. I pay top coin for femto's services.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

Buzkashi wrote:I dig. But I have friends who got to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo who have drank with Chuck Lidell. There's a reason that guy has a belly... :beer:
That's something always figured about Chuck Liddell. I can respect him as a fighter, but I never liked him. My opinion is that not only does he not have the conditioning of other fighters, but his striking form is strange too. I don't know how he keeps winning. :?

He says he wants to take on Fedor. I'd love to see him try. Do you know what Fedor's regime was when he trained for his fight against Mirko Cro-Cop? He went up to the mountains with his brother, they trained in the snow and swam naked in a glacier fed river.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

MadDogMike wrote:They were originally concepted to enable a person to win in a fight. It's like saying that sword fighting styles weren't created to kill people, or that the Katana was created as a piece of art instead of a deadly killing tool.
Your comparing a katana as a piece of art is off, I was talking about the whole martial art, not just a tool of it. You should have said Bushido or something to that extent, Kendo even.

And to argue for the sake or arguing 'martial arts' have been around since ohh I don't know... about 3000 years now?
The book "Art of War" by Sun Tzu was written around 350 BC, and in order for that information to be written down it had to be developed prior. Just to reference, Bushido developed from the 9th-12th centuries.

Also your belief that Martial Arts were a creation just for war are off. For example, in Korea after the basis of TaeKwonDo had developed young men who showed strength in subjects such as philosophy, history, a code of ethics, and equestrian sports were taught TaeKwonDo. It was believed only educated individuals could become competent warriors. They were called the Hwarang, hence the Tekken character who is Korean and does TDK. (Theres actually a form called Hwarang, and in Tekken 3 he does it during the intro) In addition there are Soft Martial Arts like Tai Chi( dates back to 13th A.D.century) which are mostly focused on the non-combative aspects such as spirituality and philosophy.
MadDogMike wrote:It's ironic though, if MMA is such an abomination to Eastern Martial Arts, why are most of the MMA competitions hosted by Japan and Korea?
LOL LOL LOL. Thats like saying why are there so many German cars in Germany? Maybe because those are the countries where many Martial Arts originated and are deeply written into their history???
Buzkashi wrote:To master or be great at anything you need to be disciplined, whether its your body, mind, or soul. Preferably all of the above.
I totally agree, and thats why MMA irks me a bit. A lot of those guys are just big guys who want to fight. They'll go out drink, smoke, and slay bitches in addition to their training. But I don't discredit MMA at all. Its gotten more people interested in MA over here than any kung-fu movie could.

MMA is great, but I mostly wanted to point out theres a whole world of stuff out there. This video is a great example of that. I had this about 8 years ago from bilang in a higher quality. Lost it since then, but its on youtube. Its a demonstration from about the 50-60s if I remember correctly. And of course the 'fighting' is all choreographed.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

lon3vvolf wrote:
MadDogMike wrote:It's ironic though, if MMA is such an abomination to Eastern Martial Arts, why are most of the MMA competitions hosted by Japan and Korea?
LOL LOL LOL. Thats like saying why are there so many German cars in Germany? Maybe because those are the countries where many Martial Arts originated and are deeply written into their history???
So it looks like you missed the point on that one. You were describing how MMA was the "gang rape of everything Eastern Martial Arts stood for", implying that it was the "Western" people who made it that way. If that's truly the case, why do "Eastern" people support MMA so much and host so many of the MMA tournaments? Your post had a lot of Western Martial Art bashing and a lot of Eastern Martial Art glorifying, but it seems to me that the "Eastern" people support MMA just as much and probably more than "Western" people do. It just seemed a little biased to me.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

MadDogMike wrote:So it looks like you missed the point on that one. You were describing how MMA was the "gang rape of everything Eastern Martial Arts stood for", implying that it was the "Western" people who made it that way. If that's truly the case, why do "Eastern" people support MMA so much and host so many of the MMA tournaments? Your post had a lot of Western Martial Art bashing and a lot of Eastern Martial Art glorifying, but it seems to me that the "Eastern" people support MMA just as much and probably more than "Western" people do. It just seemed a little biased to me.
Looks like we both miss each others points. You do realize that in many Asian countries Martial Arts are taught in school like basketball and football are taught here. This, therefore creates a much larger pool of people who watch/partake in whatever art is being taught. Another point is... ummm what happened to Pride? It was sold to UFC and all of its people were fired. That was the biggest Asian MMA promotion that I know of. Now if you're thinking about K1, thats not MMA due to its rules.

And its the mentality of the some of the fighters that piss me off in MMA. "I wanna knock this guy out..." Thats about as deep as some of the guys get in their interviews. Whereas areas outside the US opponents treat eachother with much more respect. My take is that it might be due to the fact that many of them are fighting for other things than money and fame.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

It could also be due to the collectivist culture many asian countries have and just a general difference in societal norms about how to behave towards one's opponents. and of course fighting is going to be choreographed. if it wasn't then there would be a chance that you'd hurt your partner. also, slaying bitches? :lol:
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Yeah, that what I was getting at.

And... slaying bitches is what my friends and I call when... you...umm... 'slay a bitch.'
Example:
Guy A: What you do last night man?
Guy B: I totally slayed that bitch from the club.
Guy A: Was she ok the next day?
Guy B: I dunno, I rolled out right after.
:mrgreen:
Devil_Dante
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Devil_Dante »

Anybody here does wing chun?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Chun
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

UFC 83 was sick.

Rich Franklin does the unbelievable and out ju-jitsued travis lutter. shit was hot when it happened live. Everyone was like "OH SHIT!! HE HAS HIM!!" then to "NO FUCKING WAY!!! HE GOT OUT OF THAT?"

and a nice submission to boot.