Movies of '08

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Damien
Dirty Sennin

Re: Movies of '08

Post by Damien »

Evil WALMART Movie: Interesting, eyeopening and made me re-think shopping there. 10/10

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

LordMune wrote:Gritty? Hellsing is ridiculously stylized. Constantine? Uh...
So easy to fuck up.....and it started when they gave Seras high heels.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I finally watched No Country for Old Men last night. It was pretty good, but I have a complaint about the ending.

[spoiler]I really didn't like the way Llewellyn died. What, he just got gunned down by one of the Mexicans that was looking for him? Very anti-climatic if you ask me.[/spoiler]
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

The Happiness of the Katakuris: What a crazy musical, when renting this I had no Idea what to expect. Great musical movie from Miike

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

This movies comes out in friday. I'll see it on friday. Expect a review friday. Is it friday yet?
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

The final sequence copies Samurai Champloo?

Man Hollywood is soooooo ridicolous, enjoy it, but I dont think I will be able to stomach that white kid as the lead :?
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

why? cause he's white? :P lol
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Yes, considering one is quite familiar with the chinese mythology this movie is based on. This nerdy white kid stands out like an annoying sore thumb in all of it. So fucking pointless to make him the lead for some bizzare reason, just so americans will go watch because of a white kid lead character, and not shrug it off as some weird foreign asian movie they would ignore.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hey, what the hell are you talking about? That may be the reason they put the white guy in there, but I feel the same way about it as you do. I think it's kind of inappropriate, and I couldn't care less about the white dude. I want to see it because it has both Jackie Chan and Jet Li in it. I've always wanted to see a movie with both of them in it. I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Yea. No ones gonna watch that movie cause of the white dude. The fact that I don't even know his name is further evidence to this.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

That wasnt what I meant. Not because he is famous, he is a small time teen actor, but he is used as a tool to draw in and introduce the american or caucausian (western) consumers to the story, and the (blockbuste) movie, someone they can relate to and is going through the "same" experience as they when they are viewing this foreign fable tale (giving the targeted market what they want in an essence), a foreign fable tale they would otherwise easily ignore and not notice if doesnt have a white kid lead (not as much about the movie, as about how film companies must unnaturally squeze in white leads everywehre to earn as much mucho dinero as possible).

The movie itself I dont really care about enough to see in cinema (I am bit picky on what to see in cinema), white dude or not it looks meh despite having an interesting imaginative mythologic tale and most importantly two of my favourites in Jacky (whos movie I have almost watched all of religiously) and Jet Li. But still what the trailer showed seemed bit bland...bit too much family, kid oriented and forced. Also come off typically played out and recycled hollywood formula production (prolly have the typical cliche stereotype of the white dude being saved by the kickass asian chick, and alluding to romance or worse).

Prolly be good ol fun watching it in DVD afterwards, and perhaps better then lots of Jackies bad hollywood flicks recently (or might be the worst yet, despite the awesome combo...wait I take that back...NOTHING can come close to Medallion...).
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

i like that my joke sparked controversy.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Starnum wrote:I finally watched No Country for Old Men last night. It was pretty good, but I have a complaint about the ending.

[spoiler]I really didn't like the way Llewellyn died. What, he just got gunned down by one of the Mexicans that was looking for him? Very anti-climatic if you ask me.[/spoiler]
That was kind of the point though.

He bit off more than he could chew and death came from a place he wasn't expecting.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Wait, theres a white guy in that movie? :shock:
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

White people!! WHERE!!

*cocks shotgun*
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Shaka Zulu wrote:Yes, considering one is quite familiar with the chinese mythology this movie is based on. This nerdy white kid stands out like an annoying sore thumb in all of it. So fucking pointless to make him the lead for some bizzare reason, just so americans will go watch because of a white kid lead character, and not shrug it off as some weird foreign asian movie they would ignore.
I actually have no idea what the movie is about besides that it stars Jet Li and that Jackie Chan guy. So I checked out the plot outline on imdb:
A discovery made by a kung fu obsessed American teen sends him on an adventure to China, where he joins up with a band of martial arts warriors in order to free the imprisoned Monkey King.
I don't think the plot of the movie would be somewhat based on the stories of the Monkey King mythology, so I don't really have any qualms with it. They're just using the character of Monkey King and that's all, methinks.

I don't know what period it set in, so I can't really say much about the historical accuracies of a white guy appearing in China. But hey, it's a goddamn movie. And it's by Jackie Chan, so you know that there is no plot, and the action is going to be entertaining. So who cares about what the film's story is?

While I do agree to some extent that the white guy is 'in the wrong neighbourhood' so to speak, the production company is those Weinstein guys. The production company is US-owned, so they can pretty much do whatever they want. I'm pretty sure the movie itself is completely in English anyway.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

All of that understood and got it (explained why they do it too, cater to market etc), just speaking more of Hollywoods typical trend "must squeze in white dude randomly or we doooooom" crap. Pretty much cant take having non-caucasian leads except very few occasions (those kindf rare hit occasions being Rush hour and stuff).

Atleast this one is an innocent family oriented action movie, and the dude just happens to be white, while the more hilarious cases is when even when the characters are asian, they still go with ze white actors :lol: For example... I believe you guys recognize this guy?

He played the Mongol Khan aka Chinese emperor Kublai Khan in a completely new movie about Marco Polo :lol: :lol: Its not some 40s or 50 s of John Wayne as Ghengis Khan or as indians etc, but a new flick of this dude playing one of the most influential men in the history of the Asia :lol:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Femto wrote: That was kind of the point though.

He bit off more than he could chew and death came from a place he wasn't expecting.
Yeah, I guess so.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Femto doesnt know what he's talking about. The Coen's said that Llewellyn's death was the one thing they wished to change about the movie (besides the name Llewellyn, which is in fact a girls name).
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Buzkashi wrote:Femto doesnt know what he's talking about. The Coen's said that Llewellyn's death was the one thing they wished to change about the movie (besides the name Llewellyn, which is in fact a girls name).
I don't see how that contradicts what I said.

In the context of the movie, that's the most logical reason that can be presumed for Llewellyn's anti-climactic death.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Yeah I agree, we cant really be suprised he croked eventually. He rode his luck and was savvy and hardcore enough, but he was wanted by two different cartels/crooks and they eventually got to him.

Bit odd and sudden way they showed us how he died, but we cant really be suprised he did. He fucked with them long enough and survived way longer then most would, only so much one man on the road can do to escape constant danger like that.

Btw, Josh Brolin is pretty damn good.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I have a confession to make.. I lied about the coen brothers.

Femto is probably right.

I liked There Will Be Blood more than NCFOM solely based on Daniel Day Lewis' performance.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Buzkashi wrote:I lied about the coen brothers.
I knew this.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

If you say " I nudist" while holding your tounge it sounds like " I knew this".

Just something for you to chew on while I'm at school.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Buzkashi wrote:If you say " I nudist" while holding your tounge it sounds like " I knew this".

Just something for you to chew on while I'm at school.
Hahahaha.

Buzkashi, you wily cocksucker.