Movies of '08

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Re: Movies of '08

Post by halfnhalf »

i thought Iron Man was going to be the one movie i have to see no matter what, but i'm sorry, i found the new movie i NEED to see.

http://www.joblo.com/video/arrow/player ... o=jcvdfull

oh man, he is making a come back and in a good way too. Plus it is rumored that he didnt take any pay up front for this movie nd that it was submitted to Cannes.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

entourage spoiler?
[spoiler]this is sounding like the recent plot of the entourage. hopefuly JCVD turns out better than their movie lol[/spoiler]
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

halfnhalf wrote:i thought Iron Man was going to be the one movie i have to see no matter what, but i'm sorry, i found the new movie i NEED to see.

oh man, he is making a come back and in a good way too. Plus it is rumored that he didnt take any pay up front for this movie nd that it was submitted to Cannes.
I never thought I would say this but it seems like it could be a good movie

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

halfnhalf wrote:i thought Iron Man was going to be the one movie i have to see no matter what, but i'm sorry, i found the new movie i NEED to see.

Haha, I saw a teaser of this long time ago, I thought it was just a big joke and they would not make a movie of this but they are actually doing it!
I found it on youtube, subtitles are sub-part but you get the idea...

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

...and in the movie he's gonna go nuts and start killin people, lol. :)
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I was watching one of the commercials for the DVD release of I Am Legend and it finally hit me why I hate it so much and who's responsible. Massive I Am Legend spoilers ahead.

[spoiler]There was always something that I though didn't fit at all in I Am Legend, but I didn't remember what it was until I saw the commercial and caught a glimpse of the butterfly tattoo and remembered that shit that "everything happens for a reason"; that's when it hit me. I remember I hated the spiritual layer they added to the story because I felt I've seen it before and it didn't fit with the rest of the story and I finally know which movie it reminded me of: I, Robot.

Now, think about it. Both stories never really venture into the spiritual side in their original version (as far as I know), yet at the very end in both movies, it all ends up with the smallest details completely deciding the outcome of the story. In I, Robot, the fact that detective Spooner had an accident in which he lost his arm and drove him to hate robots, but at the end, his prejudice against robots made him venture deeper into the case and uncover the meaning of the scientist's death. Then, when he's supposed to inject the nanites on the supercomputer V.I.K.I., he remembers that everything happens for a reason as a sort of quick flashback and realizes that his robotic arm which he got after the accident is exactly what he needed to be able to inject the nanites and destroy V.I.K.I.. Now lets move to I Am Legend. Here, the protagonist Robert Neville lost his family when they were evacuating the city and he heard his daughter say something about following the butterfly the last time he talk to her (I don't remember the exact wording). This seemingly useless event actually ends up determining the fate of humanity when Neville is trapped in his laboratory shortly after finding the cure to the disease and notices that the woman he's protecting has a butterfly tattoo, ultimately realizing (again as a sort of quick flashback) that he was meant to give the cure to her so she could take it to the rest of the survivors.

That's the spiritual meaning they added to both movies that I disliked because they don't fit with the rest of the story; they never focus at any moment on anything about destiny or fate. Now, you might ask yourself why I'm comparing these two movies if this ploy has been used before in other movies, like Signs for example. The reason that I compare them so strictly is that these movies share another similarity besides their overall plot and that is the fucking screenplay writer, Akiva Goldsman. He's partly responsible for writing the screenplay in both movies (he worked with Jeff Vintar on I, Robot and Mark Protosevich on I Am Legend), so this means I now have someone to blame for this fucking movie.

That's two different movies in which Akiva Goldsman has introduced a spiritual theme to the plot even though the plot doesn't call for it. He recently wrote the screenplay for The DaVinci Code and the prequel (sequel) Angels & Demons, but those movies already had some spiritual connotation from the original author, so I can't blame him for those.

I'm gonna watch this man, and if he tries to pull off this "everything happens for a reason" crap once more, I will automatically dismiss every other movie he ever writes for.

Edit: Oh, and here's the info on the writers for I, Robot and I Am Legend (just click on Goldsman's name for his info):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0343818/fullcredits#writers
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480249/fullcredits#writers[/spoiler]
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

umm both original stories have very deep religious overtones. the movies took them out, becuase they thought it would be too hard to convince an audience that something just happened, and it was because of faith.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Yeah, I am aware that they have some religious overtones, but I'm being more specific. I'm talking about the "this piece of rock just saved my life" stuff.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Paprika.

Great animation, cute story but as usual the second part of the movie is full of metaphysico-phylosophico-BS that doesn't make much sense, unless you are ready to stretch logic - a lot. I find it annoying that japanese animated movies tend to start with great premisces but don't make much sense past an hour. Evangelion comes to mind (the latest 2). It's like the directors have all these ideas, and try to blend them all in without caring about plotholes or whether everything stick together. Well whatever, there is still the pretty pictures.

However I had an odd familiar feeling when listening to the score. And of course I found out it was made by Susumu Hirasawa, the same guy that brought us Forces from Berserk. So the movie is salvaged by the score that is neatly integrated to what you see on the screen, and makes the movie that much better.

So Paprika narrowly escaped the meh rating, thanks to Hirasawa. I like his stuffs so I'm probably biased.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Paprika only came out now in the states? It's a 2006 movie, and here in europe the dvd came out summer last year.

Anyway if you liked Paprika, you should get Tokikake, The girl who leapt through time, awesome movie from the same author.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Albator wrote:Paprika.

Great animation, cute story but as usual the second part of the movie is full of metaphysico-phylosophico-BS that doesn't make much sense, unless you are ready to stretch logic - a lot. I find it annoying that japanese animated movies tend to start with great premisces but don't make much sense past an hour. Evangelion comes to mind (the latest 2). It's like the directors have all these ideas, and try to blend them all in without caring about plotholes or whether everything stick together. Well whatever, there is still the pretty pictures.

However I had an odd familiar feeling when listening to the score. And of course I found out it was made by Susumu Hirasawa, the same guy that brought us Forces from Berserk. So the movie is salvaged by the score that is neatly integrated to what you see on the screen, and makes the movie that much better.

So Paprika narrowly escaped the meh rating, thanks to Hirasawa. I like his stuffs so I'm probably biased.
I enjoyed the movie somewhat, but I agree the ending was a bunch of crazy nonsense. Don't know why anime has such an obsession for ambiguity in their conclusions?

Though conclusion may not be the proper wording, considering animes like Akira, Evangelion (both endings), and Perfect Blue (same author) ended leaving me with more questions in regards to their story, than I had while watching the story "play itself out" for the first time.

[spoiler]Pissed that the hot Doctor went for that fat retard, instead of the cool detective..... :([/spoiler]
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Well it depend how you look at the thread title. I take it as "movies I watched in 2008", not "movies that came out in 2008". I have no idea when it came out in the US, might have been years, but I only saw it recently on blockbuster's shelves. I will look for this Tokikake movie though.

As for the Paprika's spoiler, I thought about it too and would like to see a picture of the director/scenarist to make sure it's not a fantasy (or hopeless wish) related to his own appearance. Hey, it's a movie about dreams isn't it?
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

just saw be kind rewind and i really enjoyed it. it was really funny and a good date movie. (but seriously, i paid almost 20 fucking bucks for mine and my date's ticket and that's with the student discount. what the fuck?). If you don't catch it in the movie theater then rent it (after all movies in are much more fun than going to the theater ;)
Last edited by MrFelony on Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Just got done watching Muay Thai - Fighting Beat -- Nice action movie with some pretty good fights, I would give it a B+

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Just got out of seeing DOOMSDAY, which was pretty damn good, just wish there wasn't product placement, I felt it was un-needed they could have used something much better for a car. It seemed like it was too short, and it seemed to go up and down in quality ALOT. I give it One and a half thumbs up (because the crazy guy bit half of it off).

Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Southland Tales - Didnt expect much from this movie since I hadnt heard anything about it.
Was much going on so think I need to sleep on it until I can make up my mind if its a great movie or an ok one :P

Across The Universe - Much better then Hairspray since they took songs that is more or less good instead of making up a bunch from scratch.
The movie gets a little to much spaced out when they show the acid scenes but thats about it.

Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

JUST got done watching DOG Soldiers which was SOOO awesome 9/10 best werewolf movie in my opinion.

Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Damien wrote:JUST got done watching DOG Soldiers which was SOOO awesome 9/10 best werewolf movie in my opinion.
Think I have seen it, nothing that stuck to my memory though :P

Walk Hard The Dewey Dix Story - Didnt know that it was a parody movie of all of the movies thats ever been done about musicians.
I love johnny Cashs music and the title song was pretty close to something he would do, but no one can do it like he could still :D
Was a pretty funny when they presented the drugs into the movie :P

Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Aetherfukz wrote:Paprika only came out now in the states? It's a 2006 movie, and here in europe the dvd came out summer last year.

Anyway if you liked Paprika, you should get Tokikake, The girl who leapt through time, awesome movie from the same author.
Err...not quite.

As a concept both tiles were created by the same person, but the movies were directed by different persons. I liked Paprika a lot, but i always liked Satoshi Kon works.
@Albator, you can also watch "Paranoia Agent". It's a TV series which was also done by the same director of Paprika and also has Hirasawa doing the soundtrack. I would recommend it fully if you had a better experience with Paprika, some episodes are simply masterful, although others you might find a little harder to digest.

I didn't see a movie this year, iirc...

Oh wait, i saw Bee movie and Beowulf, so yehaa i didn't saw a movie this year...
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Can't wait for Pineapple Express to come out already. Looks amazingly funny, just the type of comedy that I like. Plus James Franco is a really cool actor.

"Get the weed, snacks, food, fruit rollups!" LOL
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

ya that looks really good
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I just re-watched Edward Scisscorhands for the first time in many years. What a good movie.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

I have been eyeing Pineapple Express for sooooo long now... i cant wait for it.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Zorak, Something Awful Forums poster wrote:Oh wow.

http://www.imagenfilms.com/HellsingTrailer.mov
Imagen Films guy wrote:This was produced several months ago as a spec teaser to get the greenlight from Japan. As of this point, production is moving forward and I will be directing it. My company is not producing as I was pulled on by an established production company who has already produced comic-to-film adaptations.
To answer your other question, this focuses on Seras' origin story and her entry into the Hellsing Organisation and it will be shot in England. I can't say who we are casting as the lead, but she looks exactly the part and everything about the story is as true to the originating material as can be. It will be very dark and gritty, mixed between something like the Russian film Night Watch and the feel of the american film Constantine.
My goal is to make this very real feeling, and to ground all that seems unbelievable in some sort of reality. You'll dig it, I promise!
Gritty? Hellsing is ridiculously stylized. Constantine? Uh...
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Let's put a smile on that face...............