Currently Watching?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Re: Currently Watching?

Post by Libaax »

I saw Major 79-80 last night, season 4 is fricking amazing so far.

I loved how they dealt with the engrish :P
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

After watching Devil May Cry (which was very nice for a game inspired anime), I've started Bleach yesterday, which rocks. Exactly the right mix between action and comedy that I like. Plus there seems to be a nice background story too.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Aetherfukz wrote:After watching Devil May Cry (which was very nice for a game inspired anime)
Wow, you really must have low standards.
I mean what kind of story did you make out of the anime?
The fighting scenes were crap, everything was crap about the whole series.
The only thing that was somewhat hilarious was that Dante liked to drink milkshakes (or whatever they are called) and eat pizza.
Sure, I cant recall seeing another anime that was based upon a game so dont have anything to compare it to, there is Blue dragon but since the game was pure crap I didnt want to see it.

Edit: Just remembered that there is Raganrok, isnt that based on a game? That was way better then Devil may cry :D

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Tempz
Found the Edit button

Post by Tempz »

Loeviz wrote:Sure, I cant recall seeing another anime that was based upon a game so dont have anything to compare it to, there is Blue dragon but since the game was pure crap I didnt want to see it.

Edit: Just remembered that there is Raganrok, isnt that based on a game? That was way better then Devil may cry :D
Gungrave comes to mind..
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Loeviz wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:After watching Devil May Cry (which was very nice for a game inspired anime)
Wow, you really must have low standards.
I mean what kind of story did you make out of the anime?
The fighting scenes were crap, everything was crap about the whole series.
The only thing that was somewhat hilarious was that Dante liked to drink milkshakes (or whatever they are called) and eat pizza.
Sure, I cant recall seeing another anime that was based upon a game so dont have anything to compare it to, there is Blue dragon but since the game was pure crap I didnt want to see it.

I certainly do not have low standards when it comes to anime. But usually moves/series out of games are utterly crap. DMC wasn't high standard by any definition, but it certainly was a nice watch. I've seen so much worse anime. Although I definately have to say I wouldn't have watched it if it wasn't for the game. And while in the game Dante is a unfunny-one-line character, he was really likeable in the anime.

And I guess that you could say Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, BeDaMan and all that crappy series are based on a game (although only video games in the first 2 examples) and are all completely horrible animes.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Tempz wrote:Gungrave comes to mind..
Havent seen it, didnt know it was based on a game either so cant really say if its better then DMC or on the same level :P
Aetherfukz wrote: And I guess that you could say Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, BeDaMan and all that crappy series are based on a game (although only video games in the first 2 examples) and are all completely horrible animes.
Oh I forgot about pokemon and Digimon, well DMC was atleast better looking then those two

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Gungrave is the best maffia action themed anime. It was awesome.

DMC anime was digusting,looked like some lame hentai. It was written like that too.....
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I just finished watching the clannad movie. As a watcher of the anime series as well I must say I almost broke done crying a few times. It was good though a bit lacking the comedy of series.though I never finished watching air. I think its ten times better than said series. I'm sure u all will run to watch the romance anime now.

Edit: DMC was absolutely horrendous. The fights sucked. That's all I really watched for too.
"Context is for Kings"
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Grahf wrote:Edit: DMC was absolutely horrendous. The fights sucked. That's all I really watched for too.
Yeah the fights really sucked. But the huge fight sequences I already got to see in the games, I watched the anime to see more of Dante's person / backstory (which was only hinted at though :()
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Gungrave anime was beyond awesome. Highly recommended to anyone who likes mafia drama/hitman shooter style anime. Really compelling series.

Couldnt stomach the DMC anime, so bad in all levels.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hey, did you guys know there's a new Persona anime out? Yeah, it's called Persona: Trinity Soul, and it's like a sequel to the game Persona 3. So if there are any Persona fans out there, I definitely recommend it. Hell, check it out even if you don't know about Persona, it's pretty cool. ;)
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Damn, that reminds me, I need to get my hands on that game :D
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

Loeviz wrote: The only thing that was somewhat hilarious was that Dante liked to drink milkshakes (or whatever they are called) and eat pizza.

I craved strawberry sundaes for a while after watching DMC. Also, what's up with the dancing hate in your sig?

Not an anime but soooo funny.... currently watching Flight of the Conchords. Awesome.

I gave up on Bleach. The only anime I'm keeping up with is Naruto. I hope Sasuke kicks his ass.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Tonbo wrote: I craved strawberry sundaes for a while after watching DMC. Also, what's up with the dancing hate in your sig?

I gave up on Bleach. The only anime I'm keeping up with is Naruto. I hope Sasuke kicks his ass.
Sundaes, thats it :)
Well the quote Im using is of ironic reasons, I love to dance. Most people do, so he was way wrong back in the days.
Either that or everyone is insane :D

Im thinking of giving Bleach a rest too, the progess is at an all time low. Almost 7-8 minutes per episode.
Everything else is either recaps or of someone goofing of.
Naruto is somewhat heading the same way, hope it doesnt get lost in filler land once more :P

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

It shows how genius Cicero was, im a very sane man and i dont dance ever ;)

Hey Major 85 has been out for days !
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Libaax wrote:It shows how genius Cicero was, im a very sane man and i dont dance ever ;)

Hey Major 85 has been out for days !

Haha, no you got the wrong idea here. Your one in a million :P

Have seen Major and as always its awesome :D

Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Just finished Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Shigurui before that because of a recommendation here.
Tempz
Found the Edit button

Post by Tempz »

I recently finished DBZ and Battle Programmer Shirase. BPS was pretty good, anyone else seen it?

Took a break from Bleach and Naruto. Ghost Hound is on hold I guess.

I've never really seen all of Afro Samurai so I'm watching that and after this I'll probably go with Seirei no Moribito or Code Geass.
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

For a good year now I have not been watching much anime.
I think after an extensive year of reading non-stop I need a break from literature and political science/political philosophy.
The only two shows that I have watched attentively for the year were Bleach and Blood+ (Adult Swim for the US viewer).
Though I have a few anime box sets, they have not been touched for a year now. Time to visit them finally (Gilgamesh, Boogie Pop Phantom, Samurai 7, Gun Burst Angels). In addition I am going to buy the SpeedGrapher box set tomorrow.
Furthermore Code Geass Season 2 is airing soon. I think I will add one more show and that will be it. I will hate myself later on for doing this, but I need to be the "Last Man" for a while. After all I am a "nihilist" too.

Edit: Ah I want to give Ghost Hound a try too.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh yeah, I just noticed a couple of posts I guess I missed before. I just wanted to say that Gungrave was really cool, and interesting, IMO. Grave goes off at the end too, so that was cool. That reminds me of a Boondocks joke.

"Dez nuts, biatch! Ahahahaha, that's from Beyond the Grave. You'll never get me back."

You know, when the old guy had made the tape and set the shit up before he died. That bit was hilarious.

Anyway, what episode of Bleach are you on Aether? I was just going to say that it's a really great series, and I hope you enjoy it. It's definitely one of my favorites. ;)

Oh, and as for the DMC anime, I love the games as you may know, but I haven't even watched the anime. I mean, I should, but everyone has made it sound soooo bad. So I imagine it sucks balls if there's no plot and Dante just one-shot kills everything, meh.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Facade19 wrote: In addition I am going to buy the SpeedGrapher box set tomorrow.
Furthermore Code Geass Season 2 is airing soon. I think I will add one more show and that will be it. I will hate myself later on for doing this, but I need to be the "Last Man" for a while. After all I am a "nihilist" too.
Speedgrapher is a good anime :)
Whats Code Geass about, havent heard anything about it at all?

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I'm still on Bleach. Up to episode 98 now. And while it has definately the traits of a shonen anime, there are a couple of things IMO that do it apart from DBZ and the likes: Fights don't last 10 episodes, often its not Ichigo who defeats the bad guy, and best of all: The bad guys aren't just "Yo imma gonna take over the world"-bad, they all have their reasons, like the Bounto, I really take a liking to their cause now.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah yeah, that's cool. The Bound arc is filler though, so I didn't watch it all. *shrugs*
Facade19
Mastered PM

Post by Facade19 »

Loeviz wrote:
Facade19 wrote: In addition I am going to buy the SpeedGrapher box set tomorrow.
Speedgrapher is a good anime :)
Whats Code Geass about, havent heard anything about it at all?
I would not even know how to thoroughly explain what Code Geass is without angering someone.
I think the best is for me to give you links to the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Geass
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=6704
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=9173
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Starnum wrote:Ah yeah, that's cool. The Bound arc is filler though, so I didn't watch it all. *shrugs*
Hmm, didn't know. But if that's a filler arc, I want more filler :o

I'm psyched to find out what the Arcancar arc is about... hope it's about Aizen and his gang again.