Martial Arts

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Re: Martial Arts

Post by Starnum »

Buzkashi wrote:You guys are fanboys though....
Heh, yeah, maybe so. However, from what I can tell, you follow the fights closer than I do, so what's that make you? :P
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

fangoat.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ok, now that made me lol. :P
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Anyone interested in watching a train wreck.....here you go.

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/se ... bott_sport
http://www.sho.com/site/sports/KimboVST ... edia#video

EDIT: Here's a gif from another fight on the same card.

....Here's a tip. Unless you're a skilled pugilist, a left-hook thrown flat-footed is the kiss off death.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, from everything I've learned, you don't really want to stand flat-footed that much when you're striking. Anyway, I figured Kimbo would win, but damn, I though the fight would be longer than that.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:Yeah, from everything I've learned, you don't really want to stand flat-footed that much when you're striking. Anyway, I figured Kimbo would win, but damn, I though the fight would be longer than that.
Doing so basically commits yourself to your punch regardless if its going to be off the mark, while rendering you unable to move and avoid a counter even when you know or see it coming. An overhand right in these situations by an opponent is gonna be your worst night-mare under these circumstances.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

For the most part striking in MMA is a joke. With the exception of a few people everyone "fights like they are 4 year old school girls".
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Buzkashi wrote:For the most part striking in MMA is a joke. With the exception of a few people everyone "fights like they are 4 year old school girls".
Speaking of a joke.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

Buzkashi wrote:For the most part striking in MMA is a joke. With the exception of a few people everyone "fights like they are 4 year old school girls".
It's easy for you to have perfect form if you're standing in front of a mirror practicing, but in a fight like those you don't have the same luxury.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

You must get your asskicked by the 4 year old girls all the time then.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Shaka,Princess:

You made me laugh. Way to go, your comedians!

Now that thats out of the way. Floyd Mayweather would beat the living dogshit out of anyone in the welterweight division of any MMA league.

Get the fuck off mixed martial arts dick and and open your eyes. I've watched a lot of MMA in my day and just about anyone with eyes can see that the striking is sub par at best. Almost every punch is wild. Jabs are non existent. And for the most part people learn basic striking so they can get in close enough to take down.

It just gets me sick to my stomach. Now that UFC and Pride became popular people been jumping on the bandwagon and only watching mma thinking that its some ultimate sport.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

I'd like to see 4 year old girls do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k6TB0InPIM

Fedor's not even a striker, he's a wrestler, and he can still strike well enough to totally devastate Gary Goodridge (a well known/respected fighter from K1). I'm not saying he's as quick as Mayweather, but he certainly has technique, power, balance and a decent amount of speed to boot.

You also have to consider the fact that boxing matches are more laid back than MMA matches. Fighters will circle each other for a while trying to draw each other in, then one decides to take one or two shots then they separate again and repeat. It's much easier to retain your composure in a fight like that.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Buzkashi wrote:Shaka,Princess:

You made me laugh. Way to go, your comedians!

Now that thats out of the way. Floyd Mayweather would beat the living dogshit out of anyone in the welterweight division of any MMA league.

Get the fuck off mixed martial arts dick and and open your eyes. I've watched a lot of MMA in my day and just about anyone with eyes can see that the striking is sub par at best. Almost every punch is wild. Jabs are non existent. And for the most part people learn basic striking so they can get in close enough to take down.
- You come off as a bitter fan of a dying sport. I consider myself as big a fan of boxing as anybody. For a period of close to 4 years, I trained as a boxer 3-4 times a week over 2 hours a day, and have fought over 15 amateur fights (only losing to those who went on to fight professionally).

Regarding boxing 'purists' I've heard it all before, your words are prototypical at best. The striking in MMA is completely different considering the standup game consists more than just punching, and you have to account for components of the clinch, leg-kicks, kicks to the body and head, knees, the sprawl, and of course the takedown.

Though jabs may be effective to set up other punches, jabs in MMA are not going to be that important considering there are only 3-rounds in an MMA fight, and you just aren't afforded the time necessary where establishing the jab would be worth the pay off in regards to setting up your opponent and working your punches off of it. Also because incorporating dirty boxing tactics such as using the clinch to tie up opponents that have an advantage in height and reach, the jab practically because worthless at this point.

- You also conveniently bring up Mayweather to compare to MMA fighters, which is silly considering he represents the pinnacle of boxing, so not being in the same leaque as someone like him means nothing.....let alone a 4-year old girl. Though I guarantee you, if you put him in the cage or ring under full MMA rules against any top-10 fighter of comparable weight/size, he wouldn't last 2-minutes. And this is nothing against Mayweather, its just boxing and MMA are completely different sports.

It just gets me sick to my stomach. Now that UFC and Pride became popular people been jumping on the bandwagon and only watching mma thinking that its some ultimate sport.
Though I agree that the vast majority of UFC fans are bandwaggoners looking to get in on the latest novelty. Its no suprise that the UFC had TUF debut following Monday Night RAW when it was on Spike. If you go on MMA sites 99% of people there are gnubs who clearly know little about the sport itself(though everybody's an expert). Nor do they realize that elite MMA is more than just the UFC, many people equating the UFC as a sport rather than a simple brand. I don't like how the UFC markets its product to the lowest common denominator, but MMA is a great sport IMO. Though the UFC's policy of cashing in on a trend and treating its athletes like shit, is not good for the sports health (in this part of the world).
Last edited by The Prince on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

For your viewing pleasure....

Post by The Prince »

Shaka Zulu wrote:

You must get your asskicked by the 4 year old girls all the time then.
Perhaps Buzkill needs to watch some Anderson Silva or Melvin Manhoef fights.

4-year old girls.........?

Cyborg vs. Manhoef: Sick fucking fight!

Here's one of my favorite fight......

Gomi (best LW in the world) vs. Pulver (P4P one of the best strikers in MMA):
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

That's what I like to see. :D
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Like I said there are exceptions, but the vast majority of MMA fighters just dont strike ( or as some like to call it fight) well. You can go into any boxing/mma club and just watch. You tell us you've been training for years so you should know. I'm not dull, I understand there are other components in MMA I'm just saying its a dirty sport. You rarely see mastery of anything b/c everyone is trying to learn 3 or so different martial arts. Your basic mma fighter has a sub par boxing/kickboxing game, a decent wrestling game, and a decent bjj game.

I really disagree with what you said about Floyd though, and boxers in general. MMA fighters throw sloppy punches, and shit most of the time if someone lands one clean combo the fight is pretty much over. I mean is it me or is Fedor the only guy with a chin? People just drop in the MMA and boxers, well the pro's punches are so precise and they can throw sooo many more. I've wrestled also, i know fully well how physically difficult it is. But pro boxers training regimines are much more rigorous than the average pro mma fighter. The boxers are training for 12 rounds. Shit you see fights where people land 100+ punches. Can you imagine getting punched 100 times without headgear by a world ranker? Now imagine that with those MMA gloves. A boxer would to win easily would have to learn basic kick and takedown defense and the fight would be his. Shit just look at AA's last fight(or one of his last fights). He was fighting Fabricio Werdum i think. He was able to nullify any attempt at a shot or a takedown and basically made it a boxing match. He won unanimously.

Saying boxing is a dying sport just makes you sound like Joe Rogan or Dana White.
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

Those were two awesome fights. In both cases too it's quite obvious that there was a lot of skill and technique present, not just to men flailing their arms around wildly.

EDIT: @ Buzkashi: Mayweather is also one of those exceptions. You can't judge boxing by its greatest athlete and then judge MMA by someone mediocre. Your generalisations suck.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Buzkashi wrote:Like I said there are exceptions, but the vast majority of MMA fighters just dont strike ( or as some like to call it fight) well. You can go into any boxing/mma club and just watch. You tell us you've been training for years so you should know. I'm not dull, I understand there are other components in MMA I'm just saying its a dirty sport. You rarely see mastery of anything b/c everyone is trying to learn 3 or so different martial arts. Your basic mma fighter has a sub par boxing/kickboxing game, a decent wrestling game, and a decent bjj game.

I really disagree with what you said about Floyd though, and boxers in general. MMA fighters throw sloppy punches, and shit most of the time if someone lands one clean combo the fight is pretty much over. I mean is it me or is Fedor the only guy with a chin? People just drop in the MMA and boxers, well the pro's punches are so precise and they can throw sooo many more. I've wrestled also, i know fully well how physically difficult it is. But pro boxers training regimines are much more rigorous than the average pro mma fighter. The boxers are training for 12 rounds. Shit you see fights where people land 100+ punches. Can you imagine getting punched 100 times without headgear by a world ranker? Now imagine that with those MMA gloves. A boxer would to win easily would have to learn basic kick and takedown defense and the fight would be his. Shit just look at AA's last fight(or one of his last fights). He was fighting Fabricio Werdum i think. He was able to nullify any attempt at a shot or a takedown and basically made it a boxing match. He won unanimously.

Saying boxing is a dying sport just makes you sound like Joe Rogan or Dana White.
Well you might as well be quoting from Bob Arum with your ridiculous comments.........

- All I know is that Ray Mercer, a world champion, couldn't last 2-minutes into his fight against Kimbo....who was literally a bumb off the street at the time.

- In regards to the Werdum-Arlovski fight this was a good example for why dictating where you choose to engage in a fight to exploit your advantages and strengths, and your opponents weaknesses, is 90% of the strategy for winning a fight. Though Arlovski won the fight by outstriking his opponent, having a championship caliber Sambo backround probably helped him win this fight just as much as his striking. Where it allowed him to counter his opponents takedowns in order to keep the fight on its feet.

- Anyway, though there are many fighters with glass jaws, if you actually watched the fights just shown you wouldn't be questioning the chins of MMA fighters in your generalization.

I definitely believe getting hit with 8-0z gloves is a huge reason we see MMA fights end in a hurry within the matter of couple well-placed punches. But this in itself makes for a huge difference in regards to strategy in both sports. Where fighting with 8-oz gloves vs. 12-oz gloves absoultely changes things in regards to strategy as far as boxing is concerned. Though hooks can still be checked effectively via your forearm and wrist close to your ear, strait punches and uppercuts using 8-oz gloves are going to hit their mark more often than they don't, regardless of how tight and high you have your hands up.

It is also important to consider not only the size of the glove that your are guarding with, but the size of the glove you're getting hit with. So in boxing, unless you are caught clean/flush, good defensive technique will allow not only your gloves to absorb a some of the impact of a punch, but your opponents as well. And just as important, the excess padding on and below yours and your opponent's knuckle, will initiate the point of impact a few inches farther from you face, causing multiple moments of impact while forcing the intended point of target to stray inches off the mark.

The concept of multiple moments of impact is important because by the second impact (different point in time) the force drastically reduced. Where in the case of using smaller 8-oz gloves, even if you do partially check a punch, the moment of impact with the glove and your face will be almost simultaneous, and because the pads in the glove aren't designed to absorb force from an impact so much as they are designed to tranfser it, a standard boxing defense is not going to be effective.

You'll be surprised just how big of a difference 4-ounces can make in regards to what it feels like to get hit and in basic defense used for checking strikes as for the most part they don't. In fact in MMA, when you are covering up, your taught to hold your hands up much higher than in boxing, to the point your forearm (close to the elbow) is against your ear. At the same time though, doing this exposes you to an upper-cut or a tight clinch. In other words this just shows how 4-0z of additional padding in your gloves and your opponents changes things significantly.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I cant believe you pulled out the Ray Mercer card.

Come on man. Ray Mercer was a champ but he was old and washed up.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I think there's good points on both sides. Yeah, of course the punches are going to be a lot sharper and precise in boxing, that's all they can do. However, the weight of the gloves does still make a big difference. That's the main reason they have to throw so many punches in boxing, aside from both men having skilled defenses.

*edit*

Some of you may have seen this before, but I just watched it earlier. I have to admit, I was impressed. The other guy is no professional fighter or anything, but watch the way Kimbo just lets him punch him, and just soaks the other guy's best shots like they ain’t shit. He also has a pretty good defense though, I love the bobbing and weaving action.

[spoiler]Kimbo makes me wet myself. :?[/spoiler]
MadDogMike
Mastered PM

Post by MadDogMike »

Freeze the frame just when be hugs Kimbo at the end and take a look at the other guy's eye. Is he ever going to be able to see out of his right eye again? Somehow I doubt it. :(

I've got respect for martial arts and MMA, but I don't have respect for street fighting. It's a good thing that Kimbo is a professional fighter now.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, can't say I condone street fighting, but if two dudes want to beat the crap out of each other without sanctioned rules, I guess that's their business. Won't lie, I'd watch it though. Yeah, that guy's eye wound was gnarly. Looked like he had a bloody vagina on his face. That's not really martial arts though, that's just straight fighting. I wouldn't mind using some mild gear (like some light gloves and a mouthpiece at least) if I was gonna spar/fight someone (around my size and skill level) to that extent. We used to always keep it to "below the neck" rules when we did our backyard fighting. I mean, otherwise it's fairly hardcore, and I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'd probably need to be pretty pissed off to be motivated enough to get raw like that. It's kind of fun to watch though, but I probably wouldn't advise it. Some of these guys got real heart though, you know? At least they're usually good sports about it all.

This one was interesting to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AByILVLK ... re=related

And now for something different.

I'd like to see a real street fight get that technical. :P

Okay, one more before I call it quits for the night. Like swords? Check this guy out. I mean, I'm pretty decent with a sword, but this guy's exhibitions are phenomenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ftEE7O ... re=related
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

UFC 82 Tonight: I Just Saw a Scary Thing........

Post by The Prince »

In case certain geeks here were too busy chatting online about whether Balrog is cooler than Dudley or playing through DMV4 for the 5th time, you may noy have noticed that UFC 82 was tonight. It had some good matches, but among a card of 7-8 matchups, there was all really only one that captured the minds of fans, and those immersed in the sport of MMA one way or another.

This match was for the MW (184lb) title, featuring the Champion Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson. Dan Henderson is an interesting cat because before Pride folded he actually became the Pride (205lb) LHW champion by pulling a major upset over a legend in Vanderlie Silva. In Hendo's debut he want onto fight Rampage Jackson for the UFC LHW title in a close backforth 5-round match. Keep in my Rampage is the same guy that beat the shit out Chuck Liddel twive easily, each more devastating than the next.

The problem with the UFC is having is that currently the UFC MW division is in shambles as A. Silva as plowed through all contenders making it look simple. So Dana had the idea of sending Hendo down (who fought most of his career as a MW fighting bigger oppponents) as the last hope to reliquish's Silva's dominating reign.

When watching this match keep mind just how nasty/good of a fighter Hendo is. He has been up against top HW's and beaten them now all he has to do is fight a MW which would seem an easier task for Hendo........Enjoy the fight!

[spoiler]I'll be the first to say the technical striking and hand speed of some of the top LW,WW, CruiserW, MW's, etc, possess skills beyond those in the UFC. But even the I consider myself a boxing purist, and have had the oppurtunity to watch more than several primetime Live in Vegas, I respect the level of skill and athletism is involved. But after this fight, I have little question, Anderson Silva posseses the speed, hands, accuracy comparable to a primetime boxer, not even mentioning his kicks, clinch and submission game.

When you watch this guy fight, appreciate what you're seeing. As Anderson Silva is history in the making.[/spoiler]
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

What, you think I pay for PPV? Thanks for the video though. :)

[spoiler]Nice fight, Silva pulls it off again. The man dominates, and it's not like he's beating push-overs here.[/spoiler]
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Anderson Sliva is a beast, i bought the PPV and man that guy can just lay down the beating. Feel sorry that Evan tanner went out with a knee, but Yushin Okami took like no damage from either. I enjoyed this fight card, it was good, espically the out of no where KO from Chris Leben (even though i dont like, it came from left field).