Brazil bans CounterStrike and EverQuest

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Brazil bans CounterStrike and EverQuest

Post by Aetherfukz »

Japan Today:
RIO DE JANEIRO — Brazil on Friday imposed a ban on popular role-playing computer games "Counter-Strike" and "EverQuest," claiming they incited violence and were "harmful to consumers' health."

The federal prohibition on the sale of the games was being applied across the country, the official consumer protection agency in the central state of Goias said on its website.

Both games allow players, typically teenage boys, to connect online to fantasy worlds where they interact with other players, form groups and carry out joint missions usually involving combat.

"Counter-Strike," a first-person-view shoot-'em-upper based on the motor powering the popular "Half-Life" game, requires participants to choose a role as either a masked terrorist or an anti-terrorist officer before going forth with an ever-sophisticated array of weapons.

An adapted version in Brazil permitted players to take on the perspective of either a police officer or a narcotrafficker in Rio de Janeiro's infamously crime-ridden slums.

"EverQuest" is a swords-and-spells game in the mold of "Lord of the Rings" in which human or elvish or other imaginary characters go on joint adventures to gain treasure and increase their avatar's abilities.

Both began in 1999 and have since developed huge worldwide followings.

Some psychologists have described them as addictive as drugs. A few players have turned professional, earning money from powerful characters they sell, or from the auction of hard-to-win virtual items.

The ban was ordered in October 2007 by a Brazilian federal court, but was not immediately implemented.

The judge, Carlos Alberto Simoes, ruled that the games encouraged "the subversion of public order, were an attack against the democratic state and the law and against public security."

(AFP)
Strange...
But I like the comment:
Sounds ironic... coming from a country with more violence than the police can handle, outside of video games and all!
Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Brazil bans CounterStrike and EverQuest

Post by Femto »

Viva la 3rd world!
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

I hope this trend of banning video games doesn't propagate to more countries.

And Femto, they speak Portuguese, not Spanish.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

War Machine wrote:And Femto, they speak Portuguese, not Spanish.
What makes you think I don't know this and, more importantly, what the fuck does it have to do with my post?
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

War Machine wrote:I hope this trend of banning video games doesn't propagate to more countries.

And Femto, they speak Portuguese, not Spanish.
"......3rd World"'s not Portuguese?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The "la" part gives you away, they use different prepositions in Portuguese. So you basically wrote "viva la" in Spanish.

And yes, I have of so much time to kill that I actually waste it correcting posts.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

War Machine wrote:The "la" part gives you away, they use different prepositions in Portuguese. So you basically wrote "viva la" in Spanish.
And what exactly made you believe that it was my intention to write that in Portuguese?

Was it the "3rd world" part?

Hey.

I'm from Ecuador.

I know the differences between Spanish and Portuguese.

The presumptuousness of thinking that I was attempting to do something I wasn't and then trying to correct me about it is laughable.

Next time, don't assume things about me or what I write.

Thanks in advance.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Femto wrote:
War Machine wrote:The "la" part gives you away, they use different prepositions in Portuguese. So you basically wrote "viva la" in Spanish.
And what exactly made you believe that it was my intention to write that in Portuguese?

Hey.

I'm from Ecuador.

The presumptuousness of thinking that I was attempting to do something I wasn't and then trying to correct me about it is laughable.

Thanks in advance.
Owned.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

A good deed. (Not the owning but that was good too, but the banning)
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Shit, I gotta get some sleep. I'm getting stupider by the minute. I take it back, you're right.
LordMune wrote:A good deed. (Not the owning but that was good too, but the banning)
I'm not a fan of either game, but if countries allow smoking or other more dangerous habits, why ban video games?
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

LordMune wrote:A good deed. (Not the owning but that was good too, but the banning)
Why would the banning be a good deed? It's not like the brazil streets were any less violent before the advent of the internet and video games. So they can't really blame that. Any arguments like "OMGs that driveby was totally a GTA ripoff" is just laughable - it's rather real life that inspired such gangster games than vice versa. Although that isn't a game in question here, I still wonder why they banned EverQuest but not more questionable games like GTA or ManHunt.

Also banning never solved any problems, it probably just makes more. There was a time when Doom and Quake were banned in Germany, and guess what? Everyone had it on their harddrives and played through it until he got bored. Mortal Kombat 2 was banned too, and when you had it you were the king of the schoolyard.

That banning just shows that yet another country uses the scapegoat videogames to blame its internel failures on.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:
Femto wrote:

Hey.

I'm from Ecuador.

Thanks in advance.
Owned.
Femto lame el pene para un dólar. Él es muy popular.

Hahahaha, Babelfish. You are so hilarious.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Hahaha.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I like to own myself gently when it rains... :colbert:
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.