Superhero comics and other comics.

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

Femto
Devourer of Children

Re: Superhero comics and other comics.

Post by Femto »

For the record, Straczynski's "solution" wasn't that much better and would've retconned and changed major events in the Marvel Universe.

The whole thing is a clusterfuck.

That's really the perfect word to describe it.

Shazam: The Monster Society of Evil is fantastic.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

But it's magic.

You know, instead of wishing for Aunt May to live, he could have wished the whole Civil War never happened, at which Spider Man would never have unmasked, and Captain America wouldn't have been killed. What a douche.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

How many of you guys have heard about this?

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6612/twilight.htm

It's a proposal for a huge DC crossover by Alan Moore before he left the company.

It would've been amazing.
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Ahh, read most of the beginning (not really into super hero comics, but alan moore being involved...), but thats horrible background for my eyes. Tried but thats unbearable to withstand while reading.

Genie moment, should copy the text and paste it somewhere else.
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:How many of you guys have heard about this?

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/6612/twilight.htm

It's a proposal for a huge DC crossover by Alan Moore before he left the company.

It would've been amazing.
They should have done that and retconned it with Final Crisis.

I actually didn't read the whole thing, the background hurts my eyes.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

If you don't feel like reading the whole thing (which is amazing because what Moore says regarding crossovers is still very relevant today) then just read the part on the different Houses and the actual story synopsis.

He pretty much had all the major plot points laid down.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Plastic Man as a giggalo?

Alan Moore, you never cease to amaze me.
ImageImage
Messatsu
This is my new home

Post by Messatsu »

So OMD has got me p-o'd. Man Peter went from maried man with a troubled past to 30 year old loser who lives with his aunt, how is this better exactly??
Well atleast it retcons the whole spider totem thing, that and clone wars....
Shaka Zulu
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by Shaka Zulu »

Anyone read Warren Ellis's Black Summer?
Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of the hunt will be(weak) told by the hunter
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I read and enjoyed Hellboy vol 7 last night.

It was a short story collection plus the two issues of Mokama. Richard Corben actually impressed alot with his Hellboy look and the rest of the art.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

The Sinestro Corps War Special was the single best issue last year.

I think I mentioned this already.

I ordered the first volume of the Invisibles.

Looking forward to that and Final Crisis later this year.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I really hope Final Crisis is THE Final atleast for a year or two.

When i was getting interested in the DCU outside Bats titles, i lost interest thanks to countdown stuff...

Now i only enjoy from DC

Batman Tec
Blue Beetle
Manhunter
Jonah Hex

By the way what did you guys think Ra's Crossover and GM's Batman run so far ? For me it led to me dropping my favorit hero's main title. Despite liking GM in the past, i cant stand his crazy version of Batman.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Is Blackest Night still on the way for this summer? That looks like it will kick major amounts of ass.
ImageImage
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Libaax wrote:I really hope Final Crisis is THE Final a year or two.

When i was getting interested in the DCU outside Bats titles, i lost interest thanks to countdown stuff...
Final Crisis was said to be the last crisis in interviews with DiDio, and there would definitely be some Seven Soldiers and New Gods stuff there.

The way that DC is going with their ideas have potential, but I don't think they executed them right. Death of the New Gods? Sounds intriguing, but really, DC should have put better writers on the job. The problem I have with Countdown is that because it's different writers on each issue, the book lacks coherence. There are some cheese factor in the book as well, and their attempts in humour. It's just not that well written, the dialogue has some cheese factor thrown in. There are some great ideas in there, but as I mentioned before, not executed properly. Paul Dini and the rotating writers of Countdown are not at Rucka, Morrison, Johns and Waid's level. It feels the characters in Countdown are like chimps and have no real depth to them.

The Ra's Crossover was pretty horrid, and the only redeeming thing about it was Fabian Nicieza on Nightwing, which the whole internet praised for being the first writer in a long time (probably since Chuck Dixon) to properly write Nightwing. Also, Grant Morrison's Batman is like reading a jigsaw puzzle. Suffice to say, you'll have to read the whole issue twice to properly get what it's saying. But everything in the issue is so wacky and fun. Most people like their Batman straight forward from beginning to end, do detective work, beat the villain down and off to the rotating door of prison he goes.

The Blackest Night is said to be out next year in 2009. Which is why people say that Final Crisis would not fundamentally change the DC universe.

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Eldo wrote:
Libaax wrote:I really hope Final Crisis is THE Final a year or two.

Final Crisis was said to be the last crisis in interviews with DiDio, and there would definitely be some Seven Soldiers and New Gods stuff there.

The way that DC is going with their ideas have potential, but I don't think they executed them right. Death of the New Gods? Sounds intriguing, but really, DC should have put better writers on the job. The problem I have with Countdown is that because it's different writers on each issue, the book lacks coherence. There are some cheese factor in the book as well, and their attempts in humour. It's just not that well written, the dialogue has some cheese factor thrown in. There are some great ideas in there, but as I mentioned before, not executed properly. Paul Dini and the rotating writers of Countdown are not at Rucka, Morrison, Johns and Waid's level. It feels the characters in Countdown are like chimps and have no real depth to them.

The Ra's Crossover was pretty horrid, and the only redeeming thing about it was Fabian Nicieza on Nightwing, which the whole internet praised for being the first writer in a long time (probably since Chuck Dixon) to properly write Nightwing. Also, Grant Morrison's Batman is like reading a jigsaw puzzle. Suffice to say, you'll have to read the whole issue twice to properly get what it's saying. But everything in the issue is so wacky and fun. Most people like their Batman straight forward from beginning to end, do detective work, beat the villain down and off to the rotating door of prison he goes.

The Blackest Night is said to be out next year in 2009. Which is why people say that Final Crisis would not fundamentally change the DC universe.
Heh i read Fabian's NW and as a NW fanboy it made me almost cry of joy to see Nightwing being cool and the great street level hero he is. As you said for the first time since Dixon i saw the Dick Grayson that was the prodigy and student of Batman. I havent read the new writer. DC if they cared about their fans they would make Fabian the regular NW writer.
Have you read NW after Fabian ? I wonder if the new writer is any good and not Winnick/Jones calibre.

Batman i have always been fan of a blend of The detective and The Dark Knight. GM's Batman feels like neither. Feels more like 70's Batman before the great Frank Miller stories that made me a fan.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

The next writer, Peter Tomasi, is one of the most brilliant writers that has come out recently. He was an editor before he was a writer, and I feel that he has absorbed all the great aspects of different writers. He is certainly doing justice to Nightwing, and his recent mini series on Black Adam is simply one of the best books I've read recently. He also wrote a couple of GL Corps issues after Sinestro Corps War, and is differently the best writer on that series so far. I have nothing but praise for that guy.

As for Grant Morrison, if you read this interview: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=147734

You'll understand that all his prior arcs are all linked to one overarching story. There are apparently clues scattered around his previous stories that eventually link up to one story. This is a typical Grant Morrison signature he uses in all books.

Also, Grant Morrison's We3 is brilliant. Ask Vicissitude.

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Eldo wrote:The next writer, Peter Tomasi, is one of the most brilliant writers that has come out recently. He was an editor before he was a writer, and I feel that he has absorbed all the great aspects of different writers. He is certainly doing justice to Nightwing, and his recent mini series on Black Adam is simply one of the best books I've read recently. He also wrote a couple of GL Corps issues after Sinestro Corps War, and is differently the best writer on that series so far. I have nothing but praise for that guy.

As for Grant Morrison, if you read this interview: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=147734

You'll understand that all his prior arcs are all linked to one overarching story. There are apparently clues scattered around his previous stories that eventually link up to one story. This is a typical Grant Morrison signature he uses in all books.

Good to know Tomasi is doing well. Him being editor i knew of before which is why i wasnt sure a newbie writer would be good despite his editor backround.

GM shows with Batman why i enjoyed his Animal Man run and his other different comics like New X-men etc He isnt suited for comics like Batman IMO. I have read his Batman enough, i dont care how many clues they are. I want to enjoy the hero that made me a comic fan and not wait for something that might happen in the future of his stories.

He tries to be too much his way of being "different" instead doing whats best for Batman. Its the same reason Ellis for example is great in Fell,Transmetro,Authority etc rock but his marvel mainstream superhero suck.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Libaax wrote:GM shows with Batman why i enjoyed his Animal Man run and his other different comics like New X-men etc He isnt suited for comics like Batman IMO. I have read his Batman enough, i dont care how many clues they are. I want to enjoy the hero that made me a comic fan and not wait for something that might happen in the future of his stories.
I can understand that, since that's one of the criticisms most people have about his tenure with the book. I'm a Morrison fan, so I'll take my dose of Morrison any way I can. I love his New X-Men stuff, and his Seven Soldiers revamp as well. Brilliant stuff.
Libaax wrote:He tries to be too much his way of being "different" instead doing whats best for Batman. Its the same reason Ellis for example is great in Fell,Transmetro,Authority etc rock but his marvel mainstream superhero suck.
For the first point about being different, in some regards, he's trying to explore deeper and add more depth into Batman, instead of having him just fight crime and solve them. I personally think it's a bit interesting. In his interview, he promises that he will change Batman forever. Also, I liked the Club of Heroes arc. It was quite different from other stories but I had to read it multiple times to piece the entire thing together.

As for Ellis' mainstream superhero stuff, I haven't read much of it but his latest Ultimate Human issues were fantastic, and simply the best Ultimates related comics out there right now. So I have to disagree with what you said there. And also, he's going to write Astonishing X-Men, which I personally can't wait for.

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

No one can change Batman forever if their story isnt as great and classic like Batman Year One,TDKR.

Thats why i dont believe in GM's Batman. You have to create great stories for a change to be made. You cant make up new stuff that suck and that will only be retconned months later.

For example like Spiderman The Other.......

Dont get me wrong i enjoy New X-men,Seven Soldiers alot. His X-men is the only X-men i have ever liked enough to follow.

I have become cynic about this cause in my three years as comic fan, i have seen people full of sh't. I will make deeper story and change forever. Thats an excuse for saying i cant make good story right now, maybe i will in the future.

Me i hope Batman sales drop even more that they have to dump GM.....

Batman ISNT GM's creator owned charactert that he can toy with. He even ruined Batman's greatest rival Ra's. Thats almost impossible to do.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I usually find that Morrison works best when he's not bogged down by continuity.

Of course, the only proof I have of this theory is All-Star Superman which is an amazing book and the fact that I have disliked pretty much all of the other stuff he's written.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Femto wrote:I usually find that Morrison works best when he's not bogged down by continuity.

Of course, the only proof I have of this theory is All-Star Superman which is an amazing book and the fact that I have disliked pretty much all of the other stuff he's written.
Exactly !

All-Star Superman is one of very few superman stories i have enjoyed. Others being Whatever Happened to the man of tommorow ? and Secret Identity.

By the way what is Blackest Night you guys mentioned ?
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Libaax wrote: By the way what is Blackest Night you guys mentioned ?
It's an upcoming Green Lantern event that ties in with the end of the Sinestro Corps War. You can't really explain it too much without spoiling SCW's ending, but sufficed to say it looks like it has the possibility to be epic.
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Blackest Night is going to kick major ass.

Possibly more than Final Crisis.

For a couple years now I've found the DC Universe to be much more appealing than the Marvel Universe.

A lot of it has to do with Geoff Johns, who is quite possibly the best superhero writer out there right now.

[spoiler]I mean, the Sinestro Corps War ending in a good ol' fist fight between Sinestro, Hal and Kyle?

Genius.

I was smiling with glee when Hal drained Sinestro's power ring.

"I'm putting us on an even playing field."

"Come on, then. The both of you."[/spoiler]
Vicissitude
Professional Bastard

Post by Vicissitude »

Eldo wrote:As for Grant Morrison, if you read this interview: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=147734

Shit yeah. Morrison has a very excellent, if bizarre, way of seeing the world. If you read The Invisibles, it's an even trippier read when you realize he believes all of the "The world we perceive is just the 3D shadow of a 2D universe" and things like that. Check out his WIki page. It's pretty interesting.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Femto wrote:I usually find that Morrison works best when he's not bogged down by continuity.
To some extent, I agree with you. But his early JLA would prove otherwise. I think it's because Morrison is so wild that he wants to tamper with the characters, but DC has him on a leash and says, 'bad dog' to some of his ideas. And he has to play it safe as well, so he could only rehash old ideas and breathe new life into them. I haven't read All-Star at all, so I can't really comment on that.

I have faith in Morrison. While I see the two sides for and against Morrison on Batman, I bet when you read his Batman RIP, you'll sit back and say, 'damn, that's good'. Because let's be honest: One Year Later was supposed to change the status quo of the character; what with 'reinventing' Batman and everything. But it didn't. That's why I believe Morrison is the person to do so. The Ra's crossover was bad because there were probably too many chefs in the kitchen, and it seemed like it wasn't really well co-ordinated. This doesn't mean that multiple writers on a crossover is bad. See X-Men's Messiah Complex for example: it's a very well done crossover, and has redeemed the X-Franchise after Morrison left the book.
Libaax wrote:No one can change Batman forever if their story isnt as great and classic like Batman Year One,TDKR.
Well, the major difference between Morrison's Batman and those stories is that Morrison is writing an ongoing Batman and has to plan his plot threads to stretch over 20+ issues, while mini-series contains only one story to tell. Morrison simply cannot consistently give you the Batman satisfaction as with TDK and Year One when he's plotting that many issues. Also, could you name any other writers that could rival Year One and TDK on the ongoing Batman book? It's pretty hard to think of names when you're throwing Year One and TDK out there, since they are what formed the Batman we have today.

As for what Blackest Night is, if you have followed Green Lantern prior to SC, there's basically going to be a war between the colour spectrum. I'm not quite sure if that's really a spoiler though. But I guess you asked for it, Libaax.