Currently Watching?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Re: Currently Watching?

Post by Aetherfukz »

Currently watching the last DVD (*sob*) of Azumanga Daioh. It is just hilarious. After that I'll start with Texhnolyze.

Edit: Regarding Azumanga, 2 times now Yukari-sensei (and even Tomo-chan IIRC) adressed Chiyo-chan as Chiyosuke, what is the meaning of this? I have never heard of the -suke suffix (and it wasn't dashed onto the name in the subtitles even) and here full name seems nowhere to be Chiyosuke?
Tempz
Found the Edit button

Post by Tempz »

I think it means assistant..
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Ah that clears it up, and makes perfect sense in the scene it was uses. Thanks!
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Currently watching the last DVD of Texhnolyze. I really love how the world isn't black and white, but completely in shades of grey.

[spoiler]Especially how Onishi seemed like a prime antagonist in the first few episodes, and turned out to be a really decent and likable guy. What I still wonder though why the blond doctor (is she ever given a name besides doc?) choose especially Ichise for her surgery, and why Onishi is so protective of him, especially after his faction chopped him to bits in the first episode. Hope that clears up in the last few episodes. And Yoshii seemed like a likable guy at first but was really one fucked up guy. But I still can't quite warm up with Ichise being the de facto main protagonist. He always seems to be dragged along. I can much more identify with Onishi and Shinji as likeable protagonists.[/spoiler]

Edit: Just finished it. Wow. Just wow. What an awesome but completely saddening and depressing ending.

[spoiler]So basically everyone I cared for died. Onishi would have deserved a more decent death especially. Doc killed herself in the closet? Ran was butchered up and Ichise lies on the ground bascially dying having lost the will to live. The world on the surface is dying, and now Lukuss is gone completely mad too and mankind will annihilate itself? While a decent outlook for our race if we don't change our ways (that is why it is so awesome) still one of the saddest endings I've seen.

But one question remains, actually two: First, all Texhnolyze stopped working including the Shapes when the Obelisk was powered down. But when Yakimura (that was his name I think) faced Ichise on the surface his and his Shapes Texhnolyze units still worked, although Ichises needed battery power? And second, what the hell does the ending really imply? That everyone on earth will die? That only the Shapes will survive and sometime in the future power up and rebuild a new mankind?[/spoiler]

Completely awesome anime, one of the best I've seen. And especially deep, I'll probably think about the questions of morality it raised for some long time...

After that I'm torn between watching Serial Experiments Lain, Last Exile or Gilgamesh...
Azurian
imanewbie

Post by Azurian »

I watched all 13 episodes of Elfen Lied last night. O.o
Berserk was once my favorite anime/manga, but that just changed.
I'm still quite shaken from watching Elfen Lied... Incredible.
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

Azurian wrote:I watched all 13 episodes of Elfen Lied last night. O.o
Berserk was once my favorite anime/manga, but that just changed.
I'm still quite shaken from watching Elfen Lied... Incredible.
Indeed 8)
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Finished Serial Experiments Lain yesterday.

Two words: Awe. Some!

Some more words: What. The. Fuck. It somehow feeled like the intensity and brainfuckage (for the lack of a better word) of the last two normal Evangelion episodes for 13 whole episodes. But I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. At the start I was kinda clueless what was really going on, in the middle I thought I had it all figured out, and then the last few episodes scrambled everything in my brain again...

[spoiler]So if I got that right: Lain is the real god, and always was throughout the series, given human form? She truly is omnipresent and sees everything and in the end she made it so everyone could live a happy life, but with the cost of her being alone. That would kinda maker her omnibenelovent. Fits the definition of god. But at the very end of the last episode, she was "reborn" again into her human body, so she could watch her creation again?

I really dig the whole collective conciousness thing, and that as long as we live on in the memories of others, we will live on. But Lain deleted every memory of her, so people only remembered there was something missing, but didn't know the details. Again kinda fitting for god - because of a theory I once read/heard (dunno if it was wikipedia or another anime :D) that humans are incomplete because they are isolated from god, and so they long for god to become complete again. So it made sense that people kinda recognised Lain but then didn't know who she was.[/spoiler]

Is there a Lain thread somewhere hidden deep in this forum? Because the search function wouldn't find anything, and it seems that there is alot to be discussed or theorized about it?

Anyway, after work today I'll start with either Gilgamesh or Last Exile, still torn between the two. A good friend of mine watched the first episode only of Gilgamesh and told me it completely sucked. But everything I read on the 'net points to it being an awesome anime?
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Anyway, after work today I'll start with either Gilgamesh or Last Exile, still torn between the two. A good friend of mine watched the first episode only of Gilgamesh and told me it completely sucked. But everything I read on the 'net points to it being an awesome anime?
Feels weird each time I read my name somewhere, but the anime sucked for me.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Watched Last Exile up to the middle yesterday, and while it's nothing top notch it still is nice, especially the steampunk universe.

Just watched the first 4 Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan episodes on youtube, omg it's hilarious!
Tempz
Found the Edit button

Post by Tempz »

I've been watching Lucky Star. Slice of life-high school-comedies aren't what I prefer..but, the one thing I do enjoy is watching the Akira Lucky Channel "idol" girl at the end of every episode.

~Bye-bee!~ :kekeke: :sweat:
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Just finished the last DVD of Last Exile. While at the series start it was a bit slow paced and I didn't like Claus at all, being just the regular cheerful anime boy who has no fears, in the middle it really picked up pace and the conflict reminded me of Star Wars and Final Fantasy XII (which itself reminded me of Star Wars :D ). Really enjoyed the show and now I'll probably start Gilgamesh although I heard it isn't such a good anime, but it's the last DVDs lying around here I haven't watched already.

[spoiler]And yay for Mullin Shetland to being shown as a survivor in the last episode when he was believed dead. That dude is cool.[/spoiler]
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

One Piece
Naruto : Shippuuden
Bleach
D.Gray-Man
DARKER than BLACK
Kaibutsu Oujo
Mina !
School Rumble ~ Ni Gakki
Konjiki no Gash Bell
Kekkaishi
Bamboo Blade
Deltora Quest
Spice and Wolf
Those Who Hunt Elves

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Azurian
imanewbie

Post by Azurian »

Right now I'm watching a few series at a time.

Claymore - Awesome.
Chrono Crusade - Pretty decent.
Elfen Lied - Second time.. Yes, it's that good.
Lucky Star - It's incredible. O.o

And one more... Forgot what it's called... oh yeah, "Seirei no Moribito". Don't know what it means in english, but oh well.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Started with Gilgamesh yesterday, and although friends told me it is a subpar anime I found the first 3 episodes very interesting.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

There isnt many animes that I follow anymore, 70% of them is finalized :P
But I do follow some still ;
Bleach
Naruto
Major (Thank god its back again :D)
Kekkashi

I havent seen D.gray-man since episode 47. Does the anime get any better later on?
Was following Eyeshield 21 but stopped watching it arounde sometime when they were finished running through the US, anyone got a clue as to which episode that was?
I think it might have been around 65 or so.

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Dominion wrote:Macross frontier is shaping up to be a good watch... after watching the first episode it left me hanging in suspense... i would enjoy seeing the next episode

in regards to the the new idol, Sheryl Norme(?), she's OK but i need to see more of her in action as the only other broad to come close to Minmay's greatness was Sharon Apple :D

also... one thing i should mention... there doesnt seem to be any more of the "Drama" aspect that present in the previous incarnations of Macross... its more of a shounen style of anime... getting kinda tired of the shounen style.....

I completely forgot that this series was out. I guess the group has nothing to sub. or they are just lazy.
"Context is for Kings"
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Grahf wrote:
Dominion wrote:Macross frontier is shaping up to be a good watch... after watching the first episode it left me hanging in suspense... i would enjoy seeing the next episode

in regards to the the new idol, Sheryl Norme(?), she's OK but i need to see more of her in action as the only other broad to come close to Minmay's greatness was Sharon Apple :D

also... one thing i should mention... there doesnt seem to be any more of the "Drama" aspect that present in the previous incarnations of Macross... its more of a shounen style of anime... getting kinda tired of the shounen style.....

I completely forgot that this series was out. I guess the group has nothing to sub. or they are just lazy.
Macross Plus was the gold-standard. Damn I loved that anime.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Most definately Macross Plus is one of the best animes I've seen. Hell I'm going to look for my dvd in a few minutes and watch it.
"Context is for Kings"
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I'm up to the 6th DVD of Gilgamesh now and really, really like it. Although the art style, especially the faces and lips are drawn, took a little time to get used too, it is really a cool and (at least until now seemingly) deep story with interesting characters. And although the Gilgamesh are portrayed as the antagonists they don't really seem villain-y to me. It all depends on the point of view I guess, which I like about the series.

Finished the series yesterday. Really liked it through and through. Although the very last episodes reminded me extremly of End of Evangelion. To the point of like Gilgamesh = Angels, the Children = the Children, Tear = Gendo, Cleansing Flood = Instrumentality, etc. Though the audio commentaries told the Gilgamesh manga was from 1976, so it should be the other way around, Evangelion being very close to Gilgamesh :D
Tempz
Found the Edit button

Post by Tempz »

Started watching Shigurui. I'm on episode 4 so far and its pretty bad ass..can't wait till they fight.

Edit - Finished it - :wtf: Ok first off, episode 1 starts off as the main characters getting ready to fight they take their stances etc.. and the episode ends. Episode 2-12 is all flash backs and they never show the fight..Omg. But, I still loved it and it was worth it. Hopefully there's a couple ovas or a second season to finish it.
Tempz
Found the Edit button

Post by Tempz »

I put Bleach and Naruto on hold for awhile and I've been watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. This is an amazing show..but, I prefer the pre-time skip characters better unless these last 5-6 episodes can change my mind about them.

After this I'll probably start Gankutsuou or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

i dont really watch anime but if anything it would be dbz and cromartie high
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Thinking of picking up D.Gray-man once more, is it worth it to do so?
I stopped at episode 45 last time :P

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

It just depends. I mean, I think it's still running, but it seemed like it went off into pure filler land at some point, and I've seen up to episode fifty something. I want to see more of the stuff in the manga, so I've just been reading the manga for now. It's a great series, but for now I'd stick with the comic.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

I begun to watch it once more, Im still wondering how the Akuma can explode when they die.
They are not machines as far as I know :P
Is it their ammunition that explodes?