::GANTZ::

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Re: ::GANTZ::

Post by Tonbo »

exylex wrote: If Nishi doesnt want to get out of the game anymore, maybe he choose to resurrect Izumi over a new weapon.
Heh, that would be interesting. Getting out the game with a full scale alien invasion going on is a raw deal at this point.
I would prefer to stay in game just to keep my super human abilities out of game.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

It's not like they can't wear the Gantz suits outside of the "game". We've seen Kurono do it before. Besides, I'm sure that's all that Nishi really wants, is out.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:Heh, yeah right. Nishi would never do that. Man, I had forgotten he was even around. We haven't seen him since the Osaka arc began. He does like to lurk around with the optocam, so that may have been him a few chapters back, after all. Yeah, I can't wait for Kurono to come back either. I'm still enjoying the manga though.
When's the next chapter available?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Shiva
Mastered PM

Post by Shiva »

You mean chapter 264? Who knows?:p
exylex
imanewbie

Post by exylex »

Starnum wrote:It's not like they can't wear the Gantz suits outside of the "game". We've seen Kurono do it before. Besides, I'm sure that's all that Nishi really wants, is out.
Well their memory get wiped so he would problaby just forget the suit & weapons.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, you meant if he scored 100 points and GOT OUT of the game. I thought you meant just went their not on a hunt. Well yeah, then you'd get your memory wiped, and I agree, now is not the time to forget that aliens are invading your planet. ;)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Starnum wrote:Oh, you meant if he scored 100 points and GOT OUT of the game. I thought you meant just went their not on a hunt. Well yeah, then you'd get your memory wiped, and I agree, now is not the time to forget that aliens are invading your planet. ;)
And getting hunted by Vampires, who could give a rats ass if you forgot your memory and are no longer part of the team.

Option #1 is basically worthless at this point, as I'm sure Kei would agree if he could....Too bad he's DEAD!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

You can't blame the guy. In a normal situation, that'd be a dream come true. Unfortunately, Gantz is a horrible world to exist in. So yeah, I think he's learned his lesson, and when he is brought back, he'll know better.
Xandarg
Mastered PM

Post by Xandarg »

I have been thinking for awhile that the monsters they fight (though, admittedly, being labeled by Gantz as aliens) might have been reincarnations of people who were previously killed during Gantz "hunts". I figured this was kind of confirmed when Katou looks at one of the aliens in chapter 261 just standing in front of him and says "Kei-chan." Though, he could just be wondering "What would Kei-chan do?" I guess it's a pretty out-there theory, but I really don't want to find out that Gantz is just some stupid way for the government to fight an alien invasion. It's too trite for a manga that has so much potential. I think finding out that they are fighting monsters created from former teammates creates a more interesting moral dilemma. Of course, this makes it even more difficult to explain what exactly Gantz is, who created it, and for what purpose.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I seriously doubt that. I DO think Katou was just thinking of Kurono at that moment, "What would he do." I'm pretty sure they're just aliens. ;)
Xandarg
Mastered PM

Post by Xandarg »

What a lame plot device... Aliens... If that's the truth then it will be the most banal and unoriginal part of what started out as a really unique and interesting manga. I'm not saying that proves it's not aliens, I'm just saying I'm hoping for some kind of twist. This mangaka is no fool.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Such a twist may be possible, but don't count on it. ;)
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

new chapter is out... all i gotta say is
1. this chapter was a much higher quality than the last one binktopis did... kudos
2. what a way to go (last page)
"Happiness is an inside job"
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Dominion wrote:new chapter is out... all i gotta say is

2. what a way to go (last page)
LOL.

My thoughts exactly.
Xandarg
Mastered PM

Post by Xandarg »

Ha! Surely that sets a record for most pairs of boobs on one page. The lone flesh balloon in the bottom left corner cracks me up.
Tonbo
Mastered PM

Post by Tonbo »

Xandarg wrote:but I really don't want to find out that Gantz is just some stupid way for the government to fight an alien invasion
I agree that it would be a pretty stupid way to run a government program if that's what it is. My own stupid theory is that Gantz is an alien and earth is just a proxy battlefield for an alien war. All the gantz soldiers in their reincarnated forms are in fact "alien" creations, the vampires are just host bodies to aliens as well, all this making their struggle against other aliens "hypocritical."
Xandarg
Mastered PM

Post by Xandarg »

Tonbo = cool

I'm glad other people have outlandish theories as well! :D

Actually, I hope it's something really bizarre like it was God that created Gantz, or rather people's yearning for a God/afterlife that created it... Man, that would be just cynical enough for me to love it! lol
Tonbo
Mastered PM

Post by Tonbo »

The end to the Gantz anime was pretty cynical...

[spoiler]basically implying the whole thing was the last gasp of dying neurons trying to make sense of a senseless death[/spoiler]

...and pretty much everyone hated the ending. (I liked it. But then I also really liked the ending to Welcome to the NHK anime, which is also pretty bitter.)
Xandarg
Mastered PM

Post by Xandarg »

Tonbo wrote:[spoiler]basically implying the whole thing was the last gasp of dying neurons trying to make sense of a senseless death[/spoiler]
Ya, I liked the ending though I wasn't quite able to make sense of it that way. When you put it succinctly like that, I like it even more! I loved the ending of the NHK manga (which I started and finished last night), is the anime's ending similar?
Tonbo
Mastered PM

Post by Tonbo »

Xandarg wrote:
Ya, I liked the ending though I wasn't quite able to make sense of it that way. When you put it succinctly like that, I like it even more! I loved the ending of the NHK manga (which I started and finished last night), is the anime's ending similar?
It's more depressing because [spoiler]the anime ended before the relationship really got started in the manga. The manga also ended on a hopeful note about his possibilities as a writer. The anime ends without him getting the girl or having any prospects outside of menial labor (not that there's anything wrong with menial labor... but the ending paints him in a really pathetic light).[/spoiler]
Xandarg
Mastered PM

Post by Xandarg »

Wow, that's just about the worst thing I've ever heard... How many hikikomori killed themselves after watching that? The last chapter was so damn good in the manga.
[spoiler]First they decide they love each other, then they throw that away as superficial; not wanting to be alone is different from love. Then they decide they hate each other while they embrace, which is kind of like embracing each other's faults and still wanting to be together. Then they break even that down as a construction of society and Satou decides he will love her of his own free will![/spoiler]
I don't know, it just seemed like such an enlightened level of love, I can't explain it well but it was incredible to me at the time!

What would compel the creators to end the anime any other way? (Well, probably they couldn't afford additional seasons, so I guess I can't blame them.) Jeez... Well, just another of the reasons that I don't watch anime anymore when the manga is readily available.

[Edit] Ehrm... Sorry for turning this thread into an NHK discussion :? Uhhmm. So ya, GANTZ... Good stuff... Good stuff... You know the backgrounds are modeled in 3D via computer before being inked? Ya, that Oku's a pretty interesting fella'.
Tonbo
Mastered PM

Post by Tonbo »

What would compel the creators to end the anime any other way? (Well, probably they couldn't afford additional seasons, so I guess I can't blame them.) Jeez... Well, just another of the reasons that I don't watch anime anymore when the manga is readily available.
Yeah, that happens a lot though... when the anime catches up to a manga that hasn't finished, it has to invent some ending. Not watching anime saves a lot of time =) I always watch the anime first because it's boring after reading the manga (unless you read it a long time ago) and manga is easier to skim if it's too similar to the anime.
Ehrm... Sorry for turning this thread into an NHK discussion :? Uhhmm. So ya, GANTZ... Good stuff... Good stuff... You know the backgrounds are modeled in 3D via computer before being inked?
I know and I hate it. The characters all look like cardboard cut outs stuck onto the background. The thin white aura that surrounds each character really gets to me.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Most recent scanilation (chapter 265) is out. Some wacky, crazy shit for sure.

All I can say is that the ending is pretty freakin hilarious.

Gantz is definitely one of a kind.
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

The guy literally fucked his way out of there...awesome.

And godzila-sized-naked-chick-made-of-tits-and-ass is probably one of coolest shit i´ve in a manga.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Wow, it just keeps getting crazier! Score one for Nishi indeed, but damn, it's still not over. Of course not, this mangaka really knows how to push things to the limit, I approve.