The one and only Xbox 360 thread

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Are you going to get an Xbox 360?

Got mine at Launch
9%
Going to get one when demand is Lower
9%
Going to wait until a price drop
14%
Going to wait until PS3 comes out to compare the two
7%
Going to wait until Christmas 2006 and Get Both Xbox360 and PS3
5%
Laughing my ass off that the solution to the power supply overheating and causing crashes is to use a piece of string.
56%

Total votes: 43

Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Re: The one and only Xbox 360 thread

Post by Tempest »

Grahf wrote:I had gotten it 2 weeks ago actually. But I had a 2 year warranty with Bestbuy so no skin off my back. Plus MS extended their warranty to 3 years.
Well from what I've been hearing it's not the warranties that are the problem, it's the fact that unless you shell out another 400 bucks, you won't be playing Halo 3 for another 2 months, should you see the red ring of doom.
ImageImage
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

if you have a store warranty you'll have another 360 in 30 minutes max.
"Context is for Kings"
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

If we here in Sweden get the red ring the store we bought the console from wont take it back (Even if you bought an extra warranty from that store) since its a manufacture error from Microsofts side.
So we need to send it to Microsofts factory in Germany if that happens, all in all they say it will take 4 weeks to fix the problem.
However that is pure bullshit since two friends of mine sent their consoles away. One got his back after 3 months (And thats after he had called them three times asking what the hell they were doing) and the other two weeks earlier I think, dont remember.

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Grahf wrote:if you have a store warranty you'll have another 360 in 30 minutes max.
Awesome. I decided to get the Halo 3 Xbox 360 with that two year warranty and Halo 3 is showing me how long it's been since I've played a FPS seriously. I mean in the Tom Clancy games it isn't so bad since a headshot takes bastards down but now I gotta pump the baddies full of lead, but oh well, it's not like I'm going to play Halo 3 occasionally.

I just hope my ps3 doesn't get jealous.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Speedball 2 is out on Arcade next week :D
Its gonna be so god damn sweet :D

Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

The Orange Box is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
"Context is for Kings"
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Grahf wrote:The Orange Box is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Pretty much.

I've been playing Portal and TF2 to death and I still have to beat Half-Life 2 and both episodes.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Portal is insanely addictive. I can't wait till I get off work today.
"Context is for Kings"
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Have you tried the challenges?

They're ridiculous.

The "least portals" one is my favorite.

I've gotten gold on all of those except for the last one.

Some of them are fucking devilish and really had me scratching my head for a while.

"Least time" is frustrating, as most timed challenges usually are.
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

I'm trying out the advanced maps inbetween other household actions today. of the 2 least portals I've done I've only gotten 2nd tier ranking wise. It'll take some thinking to get golds. I accept the challenge though.
"Context is for Kings"
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I got to play Rock Band on the 360 last night, adn I thought I might as well post my impressions here.

Right off the bat, I was amazed by how well built the drum kit was. I know that sounds odd and incredibly trivial, but anyone who played the home version of Dummania can understand why this is important (And anyone who hasn't should know the Drummania console controller was a piece of shit). The only issue I had with the drums was that in the way they are designed (Seen here) there is a D-Pad and buttons in the middle, and on one occasion I hit something and paused the game. My friend who owned it said he had done that once or twice before also. So I guess what I'm saying is that it could have been set a little lower, however I'm sure that once you get more acclimated to the drums, you'll be much less likely to do that. The guitar was nothing like I expected (because honestly, who didn't expect just a different looking Guitar Hero 3 controller?) because the strum bar doesn't "click" and it has quite a bit of resistance on it. I don't know if it was the game being less lenient than GH in terms of note timing, or the non-clickyness of the strummer, but I was having some issues with getting notes to register. However if you are unwilling (Or apparently unable, like me) to give up on the GH3 style of controls, fear not, since the GH3 wireless controller will work on Rock Band (Except on the PS3) For a full compatibly list, see here. The singing was basically the same as Karaoke Revolution (Although I didn't play Karaoke Revolution, this is what I've heard, plus the pitch bar looks exactly the same) but much like the Guitar, if it aint broke, don't fix it. And for anyone who was wondering, I did belt out a few tunes, most notably "Black Hole Sun", "Sabotage" and "(Don't Fear) The Reaper". For all who are curious, there is indeed "Cowbell" in Reaper, where the singer taps/slaps the mic. One oddity I found was that you don't seem to be able to pick you're guitarist/singer/drummer look if you don't have a profile, the game randomly selects one and if you don't like it you just keep logging out and back in until you see what you like. That seems kind of stupid to me, but it's entirely possible I missed something since i neither own the game nor played it for more than a few hours.

As far as "Rock Band vs Guitar Hero" goes, if you are just doing single player, and/or you want more of a challenge I would go with Guitar Hero 3. If you want to have fun multiplayer, or you REALLY want to play drums or sing by yourself, get Rock Band.[/obvious] As far as the music itself goes, I prefer GH3's set list, but that's completely a matter of personal preference (Plus I didn't dislike Rock Band's list, I just found more stuff I like on GH3) I was rather shocked to fins that ther eare some songs on both GH3 and RB: "When You Were Young" by The Killers, "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath, and "Mississippi Queen" by Mountain to name a few.
ImageImage
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

I played Rockband this weekend on the 360 with a bunch of people. Its a great game but I don't see myself putting down the ~$200 for it since I have no room to put it in, and its hard to get my friends into it. Yet I played all the instruments and sang (horribly) and I must say, it is a great game. The ability to save your band members who die is awesome.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Im hooked on Mass Effect, simple as that

Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

Got a few games for X-mas : Naruto rise of the Ninja not a great game but a good game... I only wish I could have used the Rasangen :(

Call of Duty 4: Awesome graphics very intense :twisted: love the gun ship part only wish they had zoom on all the guns.

Mass Effect: I am saving this one for last... dont know why but I am scaried of it :shock:

Also got Crysis of the PC and holy shit if you have a system that can run the game it is awesome :twisted: way better then any FPS to date IMO... if you have a system that runs it... my Core 2 duo 2.16GHz, 3Gig of Ram, and two 7800 GTX 512 Video cards can barrly run it in high specs, but does fine with medium setting... incase you were wondering 8)
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Xandarg
Mastered PM

Post by Xandarg »

COD4/Mass Effect/Orange Box: All awesome games that I recently finished. I highly recommend them (though COD4 is a bit short, the arcade mode you can unlock is priceless). I bought Rock Band when it first came out and playing it in my college dorm with friends is a total blast! It's definitely worth picking up if you intend to have friends over often.

The 360 game I am most anticipating? Devil May Cry 4 (coming out in February). It looks absolutely incredible, and who doesn't love a little demon slaying from time to time? Am I right Berserk fans? DMC 1 and 3 are two of my favorite games of all time, so I am waiting with bated breath.

Check out some vids of the game in action: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/894/ ... ids_1.html
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Xandarg wrote:(though COD4 is a bit short, the arcade mode you can unlock is priceless

Damn those german politicians and their fear of violence in games. Arcade mode was cut from the german version (and there is no english version available here short of imports). Sounds like real fun, especially seeing as I never touched single player again after finishing it (besides the flashback sniper mission which is awesome). Multiplayer is still fun though but Arcade would be a blast to play... damn germans.
Xandarg
Mastered PM

Post by Xandarg »

It sure is weird how politicians think they can control the way a society thinks through censorship. What I think is funny is that it normally works in the opposite direction. Suppression and repression lead to people wanting something more, just like sexual suppression leads to obsessive behavior and fetishism (any psychology majors around?) If you make too big a deal about something that's really pretty mundane, all it does is causes people to think about it even more and become obsessive. It's not healthy. Besides, COD4 arcade mode is quite a spot of fun. And what horrible lessons is it really teaching us? All I'm saying is, if I were in the midst of a war, and everytime I got a headshot points and score multipliers EXPLODED from the skulls of my enemies... Well, I think that would God saying you're doing the right thing, that's all. :D :lol: I mean, really, making a game about killing people MORE video game like and LESS realistic? Well, we wouldn't want to send that message to the German gamer population, oh no, that could have some serious repercussions in the form of them not being able to mistake a simulation for reality... Wait a minute, have I already boggled myself up in my own pseudo-logic? You crazy German politicians! You've gotten me again! :D :o
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Anyway, Mass Effect is pretty awesome.
Oro
Evil Genius

Post by Oro »

Femto wrote:Anyway, Mass Effect is pretty awesome.
Welcome to November 07:lol: , but yea its great...played it 5 times.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

I only bought the game a few weeks ago.

Had way too much shit to play before I could get to it.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I didnt even finish it. Though I played long enough to get very excited for KOTOR 3.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

The sad thing with Mass effect is that the side missions is way to short and easy.
The rest is pure awesomeness :)
Got CoD 4 as a christmas gift, watched my parents house since then until yesterday so didnt have time to play it.
Good game, ran through it today and tried the multiplayer.
Seems nice but dont know if I still prefer Halo :P

dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Burnout: Paradise is aptly named. The graphics are nice, crashing and takedowns are as fun as ever, and there is always something new to find in the city (so far, at least).
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I love the DMC4 demo with my heart and soul.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

LordMune wrote:I love the DMC4 demo with my heart and soul.
The game has a DMC1 vibe to it which is great.

Can't wait for the full version.