Berserk Cosplay

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Re: Berserk Cosplay

Post by Starnum »

I don't know man, I think there are people like that in this world, they're just hard to find.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Starnum wrote:I don't know man, I think there are people like that in this world, they're just hard to find.
And those of them who do exist tend to be, [sarcasm]surprisingly enough[/sarcasm], in the military.

Seriously, there are still plenty of people who want to fight and die in battle. You just don't tend to meet them on the street, or if you do you don't know it.
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

there are real people that live and have lived that lead revolutions, inspired others and changed the world. guts on the other hand is not the "hero" type in that all his motives are personal and not for a "greater good" but still we all are on his side and see him as an amazing person for all he has done. there are many people who fight (modern) terrible problems but we see them as normal people because they dont carry a big sword. i wont compare guts's pain to anybody in real life, but if you look around, and think about the shit people deal with these days its pretty fucked up and they fight against it too.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Well since no one asked... heres two Gutts cosplayers from back in Otakon 05. Now let the overly harsh criticisms begin!

And heres two kick ass guys from Jin-Roh to make up for the previous two pics:
(I know its not Berserk related... so sue me :x )
Fuji Nagase
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Fuji Nagase »

well jin roh ia awesome! if i could, i would love to cosplay a wolf! so cool!

well...comon, you cant honestly tell us to be mean right off the bat. some might actually go on to strike down the cosplayers but...i mean...they tried hard obviously. it looks like their first cosplay and hey, if they had fun,then rock the fuck on i say. i just wanted to comment on one liiiiitle thing i saw that i chuckled at: are those rain boots? why yes they ARE! thats awesome. creative sonnofabitch right there. good for him. thats it for me, i think cosplay is #1 about fun so...i will NOT be overly cruel to them. but anyone else is welcome to of course. thanks for the pics none the less. and you do know lon3vvolf that asking to post something is a waste of time. just post it man!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I like the boots that the Jin-Roh cosplayers are wearing, those look kind of cool. I personally never really did any cosplay, but if its done well, I won't complain. I mean some people think its nerdy or whatever, but even though its not my thing, I won't judge. I'm pretty nerdy myself really anyway, so I try not to dis on shit like that too much, even if I do think some of it is going a little too far. *shrugs*
BaNaN
imanewbie

Post by BaNaN »

Omg Tsunade in the background off second guts picc is so hot!
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Yeah Fuji, I totally agree with you but I've seen too many a times where people will make horrible comments about other costumes, all the while they're probably wearing a stained t-shirt with sweatpants that have holes in them while they type on their keyboard. Guess thats hot the kind of people we have at EG eh?

I like the second guys costume, not for the costume itself but he was really into posing as Gutts for the picture.

I've been thinking of a Gutts costume for a couple of years now... but its a bit different than most I've seen. I want to make one for either right after Gutts met Griffith for the first time or after the 100 man slayer event in the woods. So basically, pants, lots of bandages and a big sword :D
BaNaN wrote:Omg Tsunade in the background off second guts picc is so hot!
I had to look that character up... I hate Naruto, but serious LOLZ on that one!
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Istvan wrote:
Starnum wrote:I don't know man, I think there are people like that in this world, they're just hard to find.
And those of them who do exist tend to be, [sarcasm]surprisingly enough[/sarcasm], in the military.

Seriously, there are still plenty of people who want to fight and die in battle. You just don't tend to meet them on the street, or if you do you don't know it.
Fighting for something your government and/or job tells you to is one thing. Fighting for what you believe is right is an entirely other matter. While I would never join the military or support them out of personal believes, I too, would fight for what I believe, when it comes down to it.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

The big criticisms always come from when you do competitions. I don't think that the two Guts should be in any competitions, but they do look like fun. I like how his boots were rain boots. Though, the Guts I saw at AE last year was too horrible to photograph, it was like his whole costume was made of duct tape. Like the Red Green of cosplaying.

Anyways, I thought that them Jin Roh guys were beyond awesome. Them full body suits are the best ones to do in my book.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

yeah, I agree. I saw an awesome Optimus Prime costume once. If it looks good AND it covers your whole body, it's hard to go wrong.
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

I've always wanted to do a Berserk cosplay, but when it comes right down to it I lack the free time (and sewing skill!) to really do it right. So every time a con comes around I just pull out the old blue overalls and red shirt and do Mario again, 'cause it's cheap and easy and people got NUTS for it. (I think it helps that I grow my own moustache.) But I've got nothing but respect for anyone who really goes for the gold with a Berserk costume. Even if it's not an A+ competition-worthy cosplay, it beats being one of the fifty Edward Elrics and Links that always show up.
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I've never been to a con, and if I do ever go to one, I probably won't dress up. However, if I did decide to wear a costume, it would have to be something nice, and obscure. I would want to make sure I was one of a kind, if possible. :P
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

hbi2k wrote:I've always wanted to do a Berserk cosplay, but when it comes right down to it I lack the free time (and sewing skill!) to really do it right. So every time a con comes around I just pull out the old blue overalls and red shirt and do Mario again, 'cause it's cheap and easy and people got NUTS for it. (I think it helps that I grow my own moustache.) But I've got nothing but respect for anyone who really goes for the gold with a Berserk costume. Even if it's not an A+ competition-worthy cosplay, it beats being one of the fifty Edward Elrics and Links that always show up.
Don't dis the Link man :P. When I did Link I went all out with the gloves and the ears, I even had a Navi floating off of the front of my shield. The sword was a project for one of my theatre classes.

As for your concerns with making one, you can send me a pic and measurements and then I can do a design for you pro bono. The sewing after thats's not too hard. Just ask your mom or aunt or sister who has a sewing machine to help.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Don't get me wrong, I love a good Link as much as anyone, he just seems to be one of those characters who always has fifty half-assed versions running around every con.
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

hbi2k wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love a good Link as much as anyone, he just seems to be one of those characters who always has fifty half-assed versions running around every con.
Probably cause all the guys at cons look like Link.

awww snap.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

What's that supposed to mean?
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Tonbo wrote:
hbi2k wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love a good Link as much as anyone, he just seems to be one of those characters who always has fifty half-assed versions running around every con.
Probably cause all the guys at cons look like Link.

awww snap.
In my experience it's chicks cosplaying Link at least as often as guys.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Dunno if this was posted here already but I always thought that was a really nice Judeau. And a cute girl cosplaying any Berserk character is just made of win:

Her Ed is quite nice too:

http://hanyaanfaery.deviantart.com/
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Yeah, I saw her on cosplay.com. It is a good and accurate costume, but it's kinda boring. Good though, but not very visually captivating. But that's not her fault, Judeau without his armor on is only cool for his facial expressions and for playing with his knife. I'd like to see someone try a Rickert or a Pippin, mostly because Pippin would be good for the big guys out there.
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Well Judeau could be a she without using much imagination. A tomboy if you like, although that character is already personified in Caska. Speaking of Caska and going back also into the Caska ethnicity here's my two cents:

In the Miura Universe, Caska lived with her family in a poor border village, target to constant raids. Thing is there's no mention (iirc) to which country was midland making border with. Although it wasn't Kushan, that i am certain. Now, if we look to her family, Caska is the only one with darker skin. Now, we don't know much about Caska past relatives, but either her grandparent (since her parents we know aren't) was from another ethnic root different from the Midlander which would give that skin color or she was adopted. Both theories are terrible and terrific at the same time (only depending from which angle you're looking upon). Now some interesting bits:
-There was already Kushans in Midland before the Eclipse (Sillat and the Barakara or something).
-Caska Skin color it's almost the same of a Kushan.

At this moment it's almost impossible to use any country of our own universe as referential to possible ethnic roots of the characters, not only because bringing fantasy and fiction to the real world always goes wrong at some instance, but of the amount of mixed ethnic marriages that happen until now (people with more ethnic roots that fingers in one hand is example enough).

Also, it might be because the lack of sleep, but doesn't this goes well into the newbie theories or the sort?
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Casca definitely wasn't adopted. If her family could afford to adopt outside of their family then she wouldn't have been given to the noble. She could be adopted from within the extended family if her father died and her uncle took her in, but she referred to him as her father in her flashback. I like to think of her as Kushan because I like Silat and the Bakiraka.
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Yeah Silat is cool, and honorable. Like when he raided the Hawks' camp with midland soldiers before the eclipse, he gave Caska a change to give up and not to kill her. Of course he got his ass kicked by Guts seconds later, but still :D

I wonder what he's up to now that he knows of the kushan breeding factory and the real emperor.
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

The Herald wrote:Casca definitely wasn't adopted. If her family could afford to adopt outside of their family then she wouldn't have been given to the noble. She could be adopted from within the extended family if her father died and her uncle took her in, but she referred to him as her father in her flashback. I like to think of her as Kushan because I like Silat and the Bakiraka.
Hm...middle age are filled with large families even with poor rural families. Although seems a bit contradicting, having one more mouth to feed also means having two more hands to work, in that time they would like the idea of having two more hands to work (one of the firsts images we see of Caska in that time it's with her working). Also meaning that she is adopt doesn't negate the fact that she might be of Kushan origin
Yeah Silat is cool, and honorable. Like when he raided the Hawks' camp with midland soldiers before the eclipse, he gave Caska a change to give up and not to kill her. Of course he got his ass kicked by Guts seconds later, but still :D

I wonder what he's up to now that he knows of the kushan breeding factory and the real emperor.
Although i bit cliché, it would be fun to see Silat joining Guts...
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

I could imagine him joining forces with Guts for one battle only, like Zodd did against the emperor.