Movies of 2007

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Re: Movies of 2007

Post by The Herald »

Well, gore is cool to do in movies and all, but for a horror movie like Hostel it's almost boring. For something where there's a point other than torture, like an accident or a battle, then that's cool. Personally I can't watch Hostel because the screenplay is pretty stupid.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hostel 2 was way better than the first, in every way, IMO.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

You can't get much worst.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Than the first Hostel? Yeah, I suppose you have a point, but I have seen worse...and it was bad...really bad. *bleh*
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Hostel 2 takes all the cheap scares away. I can honestly say I wasn't walking correctly after watching part 2 all because of the last scene.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, that part was truly brutal, and you got to give it to 'em for that. ;)
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

They sure do got the brutality down, and if you're looking for that, then it's a good movie. But, I personally would like a movie where they show EVERYTHING, but only if it's artistic, you know? Not like the sex scene in 300. They just put that in for kicks.

Also, what does everyone think of the new Beowulf? It looks like fun, but as a future costumer I still like the actual footage of people, not motion capture. But, it makes sense, because they would want to keep the dragons and the people on the same level. But, the better way to do it was like how they did it in the 80s, with puppets. I miss puppets, the really really good ones. Dark Crystal was phenominal.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I'll prolly end up watching Beowulf. But Neil Gaiman said it was gonna fail or something to that sort at comicon.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I dont know the context of what Neil Gaiman said (as in if he meant it was going to fail because it sucked), but he could have meant it was going to fail at the box office because it was animated or something. just a possibility...
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

He was talking about the script or something. The context was in comparison to Stardust where you said, "we all knew beowulf was going to fail, but stardust I really have faith in" Sorry if i got it wrong, but thats how I remember it.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

well i googled it. i didnt know Neil Gaiman actually co-wrote the script, that just makes me want to see it more lol. http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=134730 here's an interview with him and avary in it.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Iono man. I was kinda out of it the whole day, to be honest I feel asleep during part of his speech and during the Warner Bros. presentation so I'm not sure what I heard.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Beowulf is an Epic from the 8th century. People have been trying to turn it into a movie for years, and only Gaiman has gotten close to an okay one. Beowulf is more suited to a series of movie calibur performances to get the whole thing through. It's also like the Canterbury Tales, in that Beowulf has many quests and whatnot, but not all of them were written down or preserved throughout the years.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

I do realize I am double quoting, but I don't think it counts considering I wrote the last quote days ago. So anyways, go see Beowulf, but I warn you it is a very awkward movie.

Alright, for what I wanted to say, the next Terminator movie should be coming out before the Vancouver Olympics in 2010, with Vin Diesel as the new Terminator. The other cast members that survived the apocalypse, like John Connor, will be back as well. This will be the last movie, being compeletely about the war with the Machines and how John Connor finally beats them in the end. We can all expect an awkward moment with him and his father, who is presumably 20 to 30 years younger than him, because of the whole time travel thing. Ah yes, the whole cyclical thing, ain't it grand?
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Futurama is back! The new Futurama movie Bender's Big Score is finally out and it is greater than ever. Also, Best Buy is giving out an extra disc with extra stuff. You can check out their website at: http://www.ilovebender.com/

They really went all out on this movie and I highly recommend it.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I watched Day Watch the other day. It was pretty cool. I liked it more than the first one, for some reason. I think the plot and pacing just seemed to flow a lot better this time.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I saw Bee Movie and thought it was pretty good. was pretty entertaining and was pretty funny
MsNomer
Mastered PM

Post by MsNomer »

I enjoyed Bee Movie with some kids. They never want to watch what I want to see. :(
How IS a Raven like a writing desk? [/b]
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

august rush was pretty good. though robins williams character was a lot crazier than i thought he was going to be lol. enjoyed a lot of the music in it too
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Beowulf was pretty bad, not really because of the animation, it was pretty good still need some work, too clean. The story, the pace, the ending, the lack of action were pretty much lame and I'd give something like 3/10.

Hitman, a let down too, no respect of the original story, apparently the idea of clones completely disappeared..., main actor is too wimpy to be 47, when your past those things, you have to get along the idea that 47 would save a prostitute and protect her during a good part of the movie. After that the movie is enjoyable if your not too demanding on the action scenes. 4,5/10
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Futurama should be in theatres, it's too good for just DVD. If Fox doesn't bring it back they're idiots, like they are in the movie :P.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

The Herald wrote:Futurama should be in theatres, it's too good for just DVD. If Fox doesn't bring it back they're idiots, like they are in the movie :P.
There's really so much happening that it was nice being able to rewind and see all the details, so I don't mind much that it was released directly to DVD. Also, although these movies are being done with Fox they will be aired on Comedy Central later in 2008.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Herald »

Well, this is proof that Futurama is still good and should be aired on TV again~
Deathbringer
n00b eater

Post by Deathbringer »

you have to get along the idea that 47 would save a prostitute and protect her during a good part of the movie.
Considering he did something along those lines in the first game, i´d say that´s the smallest problem the movie has.
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

I read Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf to get pumped for the movie this weekend.
I have to say, compared to modern standards it's gotta be one of the dumbest stories ever told.
I thought I would be pumped, but I can't really see how it's ripe source material for a movie.
Half the book is Beowulf boasting how he's the manliest man of all mankind.
As a poem too, the archaic meter doesn't really ring in modern English.
Ah well, my gf really wants to see The Golden Compass this weekend so I'll probably see that instead.
Their website is pretty neat actually. My daemon is an Ocelot and my gf is a mouse :D 8)