Is Next-Gen really here?

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Do you own any of the three "Next-Gen" consoles? [PS3, Wii, Xbox 360]

Poll ended at Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:03 pm

Yes I do own a Next-Gen console.
75%
No, I don't own a Next-Gen console.
25%

Total votes: 8

War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Is Next-Gen really here?

Post by War Machine »

I noticed recently that of all the people I know, only two people have a "Next-Gen" console (one has a PS3 and the other a Wii). So I was wondering, is "Next-Gen" really here? It seems to be taking quite long for people to get the into the new frenzy. But maybe it's just me and the people I know, so here's the poll question: Do you currently own any of the "Next-Gen" consoles?

Plans for buying a console later on don't count because I just want to see how many people own one already, and portable systems like the NDS and PSP are cheaper and more mainstream than their household counterparts, so don't count them in either. Also, don't count PC, since it's pretty much a common item in people's houses regardless of its intended use.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Re: Is Next-Gen really here?

Post by Malvado »

Well you poor people need to buy a current-gen(not next-gen anymore) console. I have a PS3 and a Xbox360.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Everybody I know whom I'd call a "serious" or "semi-serious" gamer owns at least one next-gen console, usually a Wii.

I own a Wii and a 360.

Is next-gen here?

Considering that there are zero X-Box games in development, maybe 3 Gamecube titles yet to be released and with PS2 releases slowing down every month, I'd say the answer is a resounding "yes."

I mean, is this even a serious question?

The next-gen was technically here when the 360 first launched over a year ago.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

It seemed like a slow start to me. I haven't seen any "must own" titles yet. Many good and entertaining games, sure, but where's the Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto, Metroid Prime, Smash Brothers, and other big name titles? So far the only one I've seen is Zelda Twilight Princess, but it was also released on the gamecube, so it's not technically a "Next-Gen" title.

Actually, I recently had about 250 dollars, enough to get a Wii or save up a little more for an Xbox 360 or PS3, but I just didn't feel the need for it. And I suppose that is what's happening with the people I know to be "serious" or "semi-serious" gamers.

By that way, I am aware that "Next-Gen" started about a year ago and everything, I just used that term to refer to the newest consoles, that most people would understand.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

If you want a next-gen console go for a 360.

Online and XBLA are flawless and some pretty big high profile titles are just around the corner.

It'll take another year at the very least before the Wii and PS3 develop a decent library.

In hindsight, I personally think that buying a Wii on launch was unnecessary.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I own a Wii and a 360 Elite.

I just picked up Forza Motorsport 2 for 360 last week and I am loving it. I still play Rainbow Six: Vegas and Guitar Hero 2 occasionally, and I intend to finish Gears of War someday. I am really excited for Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Resident Evil 5, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and GTA IV.

I haven't played my Wii for months, the minigame appeal doesnt last long. When Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy come out this fall I will dust the Wii off.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Gaiseric wrote:Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Resident Evil 5, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and GTA IV.
It's worth noting that most of these games will be released before this year ends.

Halo 3 and Blue Dragon are surefire purchases from me but Bioshock and Mass Effect, games I wouldn't even think about buying normally, have me really intrigued.

I guess you could call that teh hype.
Malvado
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Malvado »

Topic creator needs to stop looking at sequels and check out some new franchises. Where is the "game 4, blah blah 5, duo 2?" Pick up some new titles shit or even spiritual sequels like bioshock and last-gen Odin sphere and have a blast.
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

Topic creator? My name is written right there!

Anyway, I am actually playing Odin Sphere right now, and yeah it's a lot of fun, but I'm not saying that everything now sucks. It's just that it suddenly hit me that great games as the ones mentioned (but not necessarilly those) that truly bring something new and entertaining haven't been released on any of the new consoles yet.

There are many great games on the horizon, but they're not here yet. That's why I don't feel that "Next-Gen" is truly here; it seems cool to have a new console and it should be, but I don't feel the urge to get one yet, at least not as much as I did when the PS2 came out.

PS: Hmm, just 5 people have voted and the poll ends on June 13th. Bummer.
killxo
imanewbie

Post by killxo »

sadly i dont have any money to buy a next-gen console, but i've played them before and theya re basicly just a uber computer. im more of a comp gamer but next-gen is all platforms, most 360 games are for computer too ( like bioshock and such )

i personally cant wait for Crysis and some others. the Crysis trailer looked so badass.

oh and the new Nvidia 9 series, holy shit that'll be amazing too see the graphics on those
"well, it's kind of hard to concentrate with you sucking on my penis all the time" - Tom Green
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Well a new PC is always next-gen. Consoles have to hold out for years until the next generation comes and even then you have to be lucky if you can play your old games on it. Not so much with the PC.
Tonbo
Mastered PM
Location: I am the one who lives in the darkness, and shatters it.

Post by Tonbo »

Aetherfukz wrote:Well a new PC is always next-gen. Consoles have to hold out for years until the next generation comes and even then you have to be lucky if you can play your old games on it. Not so much with the PC.
That's true. By the time a console comes out it's already obsolete compared to a high end PC. They already have to downgrade Crysis eye candy compared to it's PC version just so that it can be played on the ps3 or xbox360. If MS keeps on track with its goals of total digital convergence for the living room in its OS, and PCs continue to improve in small form factor aesthetics, then I don't see a role for consoles in 10-15 years.