Berserk chapter: 290

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Re: Berserk chapter: 290

Post by The Prince »

Aetherfukz wrote:Well Magnifico may be able to see Elfes because hes not such a loyal follower of god as Farnese and all the preachers/holy knights were.

And upon rereading the whole story up till now, I find it highly possible or even hinted at that the strange naked kid on the beach who scared away the kushan Crocodiles could be the Hanafubuku King. While I always thought upon my first readthrough that the kid was just some kind of astral projection of Caska and Guts' child. But it makes much more sense that it would have been the king checking out the situation. Naked like all the other elfs? Yes. And he scared away the beasts and somehow touched Guts so that he flew away some meters in the berserk armor so he couldn't harm the party and Schierke got enough time to pull him out.

And of course. What a happy coincidence that just that night Skull Knight appears and tells them about the legendary elf king and how he would be able to bring Caska's heart back.
Interesting......But I don't recall Puck and co., picking up on anything or hinting at such a possibility. But this theory is a good one, as the child certainly was drawn to Caska as well as Guts. And unforeseen powers that were inhuman.

Does anyone recall if it exhibited any healing abilities....I can't remember?
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

The Prince wrote:Interesting......But I don't recall Puck and co., picking up on anything or hinting at such a possibility. But this theory is a good one, as the child certainly was drawn to Caska as well as Guts. And unforeseen powers that were inhuman.
Well the Puck doesn't even know what Elfhelm looks like, when he describes it to Guts it could be any utupia, hes very vague. And Evarella I don't know.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Aetherfukz wrote:Well the Puck doesn't even know what Elfhelm looks like, when he describes it to Guts it could be any utupia, hes very vague. And Evarella I don't know.
Actually, Puck is a moron, so that's why his description is vague. He was indeed from Elfhelm, when asked why he left, he replied that he got bored.

The popular theory is that the child on the beach is Casca and Guts' son. How that's possible, we don't know yet. But it is heavily implied in the manga, such as Casca's motherly treatment towards the child, the child's fascination towards Guts (climbing on his cape), and the remarks how 'they look like a family'. Those weren't just random remarks passed by the characters of the story, I think Miura intended those remarks for implications and observations regarding the child.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

But how could the child then save the party from Guts' berserker rage. Sure it could be either way, their child or the Hanafubuku king. I always thought the child too but after reading a few theories here I am more inclined to believe in the latter.

Anyway while where on the child issue: I always found it a strange coincidence that the demon child/spawn of Caska who rescued her and Guts several times, was missing his right eye just like Guts.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Aetherfukz wrote:But how could the child then save the party from Guts' berserker rage. Sure it could be either way, their child or the Hanafubuku king. I always thought the child too but after reading a few theories here I am more inclined to believe in the latter.
And how could you believe that the Elven King is the only one person that's capable of that? I mean, the Elven King certainly has no motive to visit Guts and Casca, and at this particular moment too. We have not yet seen what the Elven King is capable of, but I can't agree that the child is incapable of soothing Guts' berserker rage. We aren't even sure if the Elven King could indeed heal Casca's mind. Just because someone could do action A, does not mean he could do action B. The child might turn out to be a completely different person; he might not be their son, and might not be the Elven King. However, there are implications written by the mangaka himself that suggests that it is their son, however, they might turn out to be red herrings.

If he is indeed the Elven King, he's incredibly douchey to make Guts travel all that way just to see him, when he could have helped them out then and there. That just doesn't make any sense to me, including the 'monitoring the situation' reasoning.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Aetherfukz
Tastes like burning!

Post by Aetherfukz »

Got some good arguments there. But why was Guts pushed away like from an explosion when the astral Child touched his face in the berserker armor? When Schierke pulled him out he just went from berserk to non-berserk, but the child knocked him back extremely.

Anyway I don't think we will see the child for some time now, or any indication of it. As much as I would love the party to get to Elfhelm quickly and for Caska to regain her sanity I just can't see it - there will surely be some minor and/or major complications still on the way. Magnifico pointed out one himself - he doesn't seem trustworthy at all.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Aetherfukz wrote:Got some good arguments there. But why was Guts pushed away like from an explosion when the astral Child touched his face in the berserker armor? When Schierke pulled him out he just went from berserk to non-berserk, but the child knocked him back extremely.
As readers, we can't know for sure, but the child has some really powerful and mad voodoo. However, I can't necessarily associate that with the Elven King, which is why I can't agree with you.

Furthermore, I believe that the 'astral form' of a particular individual is a reflection of the true self of that individual. Meaning that Guts and Schierke's astral form is what they are in real life. If they disguised themselves as soldiers or whatever and enter the astral form, they would not be in the outfit of the soldier; but rather as themselves. The child's astral form was still in the form of a child, if it was the Elven King, his astral form would portray his Elven King form, and not as a 'disguised' child. However, same logic applies here, we don't know what the Elven King looks like, so I can't cement that theory with any proof.

Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Meh, I still say it was really the child of Gatts and Casca. I'm sure the elf king is someone who we haven't met yet. As for Manifico, he's just a silly man, and I doubt Roderick takes him too seriously, heh.
zokica
imanewbie

Post by zokica »

lads, direct link, please, i'm begging you :?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Shut your ungrateful hole leecher, and use bittorrent like a real man! :P

I imagine someone will put up a DDL when they have time. ;)
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

zokica wrote:lads, direct link, please, i'm begging you :?
Don't ask again. Your first post was asking for the link too. Be patient. When it's out, it'll be out. That applies for everything.

dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Speaking of Magnifico, his desire for that power may cause him to be able to use a behelit. Who knows, he may try to sacrifice Farnese, or, since Griffith did see the group leave on a boat, Griffith may even manipulate the little bastard.
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Unfortunately it looks like were going to have a few releases back to Griffith based on the title of the next release. I figure it will be at least till mid 08 when the Elfhelm arc gets into full swing.
greydeath
imanewbie

Post by greydeath »

The astral form of the elf king didn't really look like the kid from the beach. If he IS an elf of some sort, he might not be very large so that would explain a lot. And the astral form was far more powerful than Scheirke's.

While, Guts cannot be a dark apostle, he may become something else. Men become dark apostles and god hands by sacrificing that which they love for that which they desire. This is a greedy and wicked business. This makes me think, is there an opposite to this? What of self-sacrifice for those that you love? I think it is more likely for Guts to die before anyone in the party will. He would give his life to protect Caska, we all know this. But he would do the same for all of them. Perhaps, he would be reborn? He has suffered much, and carried one hell of a cross.
"For instance, how am I going to stop some big mean mother hubbard from tearing me a structurally surpurfulous new behind? The answer... Use a gun. If that don't work. Use more gun." - The Engineer - Team Fortress 2
zokica
imanewbie

Post by zokica »

Eldo wrote:
zokica wrote:lads, direct link, please, i'm begging you :?
Don't ask again. Your first post was asking for the link too. Be patient. When it's out, it'll be out. That applies for everything.
sorry :(
azn_l10n
imanewbie

Post by azn_l10n »

greydeath wrote:While, Guts cannot be a dark apostle, he may become something else. Men become dark apostles and god hands by sacrificing that which they love for that which they desire. This is a greedy and wicked business. This makes me think, is there an opposite to this? What of self-sacrifice for those that you love? I think it is more likely for Guts to die before anyone in the party will. He would give his life to protect Caska, we all know this. But he would do the same for all of them. Perhaps, he would be reborn? He has suffered much, and carried one hell of a cross.
I like this "theory". Assuming that Skull Knight is Gaiseric and that Gaiseric wore the berserker armor and is linked to the witch of the forest, then we know that the previous user (which shaped the armor like a skull) died using it. Did SK sacrifice himself? How did SK come to be? He is not an apostle nor God Hand, Gatts' brand does not react the same way. So perhaps, there is another way to make somebody become as powerful as SK. As it is, I do not believe Gatts can stand up against SK, just look at how easily SK owns Zodd in beast form.

Maybe, Gatts will go the route of SK (but again, slightly different - a spiral, not a circle) and we'll have some light shed on how Gaiseric became SK.

Thanks for the chapter EG...
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Thanks for a great chapter, EG!!! More Berserk goodness is always a wonderful thing.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Great chapter, thanks EG and Miura-san.

I found the bit with Guts' beast more interesting than the insane ramblings of a disempowered noble. Well. What is disturbing here is that his beast is acting like a seperate entity. I used to think it was just his own rage, materialized, but still his own. Now it seems its even capable of rational thought and planning. That's really a lot more creepy than it used to be.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Eldo wrote:
Aetherfukz wrote:Got some good arguments there. But why was Guts pushed away like from an explosion when the astral Child touched his face in the berserker armor? When Schierke pulled him out he just went from berserk to non-berserk, but the child knocked him back extremely.
As readers, we can't know for sure, but the child has some really powerful and mad voodoo. However, I can't necessarily associate that with the Elven King, which is why I can't agree with you.

Furthermore, I believe that the 'astral form' of a particular individual is a reflection of the true self of that individual. Meaning that Guts and Schierke's astral form is what they are in real life. If they disguised themselves as soldiers or whatever and enter the astral form, they would not be in the outfit of the soldier; but rather as themselves. The child's astral form was still in the form of a child, if it was the Elven King, his astral form would portray his Elven King form, and not as a 'disguised' child. However, same logic applies here, we don't know what the Elven King looks like, so I can't cement that theory with any proof.
BTW....during Guts's first confrontation in the presence of Puck, Puck made an interesting comment in passing, regarding the Skullnight, that probably flew under the radar of most readers. Where he mentioned that there was something about the SK that was Elven in nature.....something he just couldn't put his finger on. In time I'm sure this little observation may foreshadow what may be a revelation sometime down the line.

Also keep in mind that the SK seemed familiar with the Elven King and his powers, going back to his discussion with Guts on the beach. Hmmmm......it seems there may be even more to Skully than we would expect from him even now at this point in the story. I believe once the crew ever gets to the Elven Island many things are going to be revealed and will change the perception of how we view things in the Berserk Universe.

Once Griffith inevitably defeats the Ganishka which may happen in the coming months, and claims his empire what next? An assault on the Elven Kingdom? Seek and destroy mission against Guts and his crew? Or turn on the the Godhand? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm??????
Let's put a smile on that face...............
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Brainpiercing wrote:I found the bit with Guts' beast more interesting than the insane ramblings of a disempowered noble. Well. What is disturbing here is that his beast is acting like a seperate entity. I used to think it was just his own rage, materialized, but still his own. Now it seems its even capable of rational thought and planning. That's really a lot more creepy than it used to be.
Not sure Brain - since everyone is saying "You had a terrible nightmare", I think the beast is somewhat in his dreams. It's kind of his rage being given an appearence, so Gatts can interact with it. He was sleeping and "dreaming", after all. I found this chapter awesome, since I love the fight against his inner rage.

Anyway, as usual, great chapter / translation, guys!!!
elric le tueur d'amis
Mastered PM

Post by elric le tueur d'amis »

Thanks a lot for the chapter EG.

For me, the beast capable of growing so fast (and "planning") is because of the armor ; if Guts keeps using it, he'll turn insane sooner or later maybe when he'll come back from Elfheim and see that Griffith is the king/divine savior of Midland.
That guy won''t give up!!
Kill him!!
Arcandus
notanewb

Post by Arcandus »

Brainpiercing wrote:Great chapter, thanks EG and Miura-san.

I found the bit with Guts' beast more interesting than the insane ramblings of a disempowered noble. Well. What is disturbing here is that his beast is acting like a seperate entity. I used to think it was just his own rage, materialized, but still his own. Now it seems its even capable of rational thought and planning. That's really a lot more creepy than it used to be.

I think the beast was his rage, untill he used the armor, maybe now it is Guts rage plus the armor spell, so it have his own life or something like that.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

The beast itself mentions that the armor is part of what's allowed it to grow so powerful/developed. Or, another idea, his beast can't actually think/plan/talk, but Guts is worried about his beast, and so he had a nightmare featuring it, in which it could do all of these things. I admit though, I don't much like the second theory, since it would seem somewhat of a copout, and a waste of chapter space if true. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
Wib
imanewbie

Post by Wib »

Thank with love.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Istvan wrote:The beast itself mentions that the armor is part of what's allowed it to grow so powerful/developed. Or, another idea, his beast can't actually think/plan/talk, but Guts is worried about his beast, and so he had a nightmare featuring it, in which it could do all of these things. I admit though, I don't much like the second theory, since it would seem somewhat of a copout, and a waste of chapter space if true. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.
I think the conflict of interests within Gutts mind, plus a constant influence to spiritual energy (you know, because of his constant permanence on the intersice) finally made his personality split.
I assume most of you have seen (at least on a movie) how a splitted personality generates 2 or more consciousness within one individual, each consciousness acting (and thinking) totally separated from the other, as if it was a complettely diferent being. In Gutts case, the beast represents...you all know what the beast repressents, lets skip that part.
My point is, up to this moment Gutts conciousness seemed to be the dominant, at least most times, but in this chapter the beast reveals that this may be only a temporary condition, and that it intends to take over at some point on the future. If that happens, Griffith is gonna be so, but so screwed.
Cant wait to see it :twisted:

edit: The new name for the beast was Hell Hound right?
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope