Berserk Merchandise (and plushies!!!)

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Re: Berserk Merchandise (and plushies!!!)

Post by FightClub »

lon3vvolf wrote:Yeah I saw that... but with those measurements the blade is just barely 3 ft. The whole sword is only 52 inches (4 and 1/3 feet). I wouldn't feel too comfortable swinging that at people or even a giant minotaur looking thing with wings(Zod).

I'll have a DS made for me one day. Only once I'm strong enough to wield it. :twisted:
So -never- ? I once read an estimate that the dragonslayer is like 200 pounds at least.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

FightClub wrote:
lon3vvolf wrote:Yeah I saw that... but with those measurements the blade is just barely 3 ft. The whole sword is only 52 inches (4 and 1/3 feet). I wouldn't feel too comfortable swinging that at people or even a giant minotaur looking thing with wings(Zod).

I'll have a DS made for me one day. Only once I'm strong enough to wield it. :twisted:
So -never- ? I once read an estimate that the dragonslayer is like 200 pounds at least.
Almost certainly more than that. Quite possibly a lot more.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Istvan wrote:
FightClub wrote:

Almost certainly more than that. Quite possibly a lot more.
Actually I've done some researching and looked things up. I posted this previously but the DS should estimate around these figures:
The sword, with handle, to be around seven feet tall,
roughly 1.5 feet wide, and four inches thick at its thickest point. It is
made of Iron (Fe), Atomic Number: 26, Atomic weight: 55.845 amu. Iron nuclei
are said to be very stable, but is historically combined with carbon or
alloyed with other metals. Pure iron is very susceptible to corrosion in
humidity and has moderate magnetic properties. I would estimate the weight of
Dragonslayer to be in the range of 210 - 295 pounds (95.2544 - 133.8097 kg).
These are NOT official or to be taken at face value, they are simply my
educated guesses. To put that into perspective, a typical Scottish claymore
is about 50 inches long while weighing around 7 - 11 pounds. Even the largest
swords ever made to be handled by one person never exceeded 20 pounds.

However I have found several swords on ebay (Great Sword of the Brunswick Guard, German Zweihander ) which are about 6.5 in total length and weigh about 25 lbs.

Never say never about lifting the DS, impossible is nothing :D
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Never say never about lifting the DS, impossible is nothing
Lifting, as in managing to pick it up for a few seconds, maybe. Wielding? As in actually using/swinging? Almost certainly not.
Eedze
imanewbie

Post by Eedze »

agreed. i could possibly lift a 120 kg from the floor. a few centimeters, and i still need to lift it at the balance point in the middle of the sword. so the weight is distributed evenly. but try lifting such a thing by the handle, the blade wil get 4-6 times as heavy just cos the weight is of balance. it would be as heavy as a little car. then trying to swing it without losing balance. its something no man in this world can possibly do. not even chuck norris
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

I'm beginning to wonder if there exists a being in our world which could wield a sword like the Dragon Slayer. Picking it up and the like doesn't count...you gotta be able to swing that baby on a dime.
I think Guts is a pretty cool guy, eh kills shit an doesn't afraid of anything.
FightClub

Post by FightClub »

Even if you had the muscle mass to wield it, you'd end up dislocating all your joints, snapping bones, or ripping tendons to shreds, so yeah, it's pretty much physically impossible.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
Arcandus
notanewb

Post by Arcandus »

FightClub wrote:Even if you had the muscle mass to wield it, you'd end up dislocating all your joints, snapping bones, or ripping tendons to shreds, so yeah, it's pretty much physically impossible.
Well we could ask Chuck Norris or Jack Bauer with they can do that.

But anyway i would buy a ds and put it on the living room since I cant wield it.
hbi2k

Post by hbi2k »

Arcandus wrote:
FightClub wrote:Even if you had the muscle mass to wield it, you'd end up dislocating all your joints, snapping bones, or ripping tendons to shreds, so yeah, it's pretty much physically impossible.

But anyway i would buy a ds and put it on the living room since I cant wield it.
Heh heh, I'd make a stand that would hold it about two-three feet off the ground. That's a damn stylish coffee table right there! (-:
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

hbi2k wrote:
Arcandus wrote:

Heh heh, I'd make a stand that would hold it about two-three feet off the ground. That's a damn stylish coffee table right there! (-:
Just make sure to have it be an extremely sturdy stand, or else you'll quickly be left with a damn stylish pile o' fragments.
acolyte
imanewbie

Post by acolyte »

It is possible to wield a DS, you just can't do it Gutts' style. Rather than trying to brute force the damned metal slab, just get it moving in an arc. Then adjust it either by continuing to spin around, twisting it up/down, revolving the blade into a backswing, etc. The momentum of the blade keeps it moving, and as long as you outweigh the DS (even by a marginal amount) and keep a good stance, you should be able to get roughly one slash forward per second, and it won't tire you as much. At worst, you end up stretching your arms too far and pulling some muscles/tendons, unless you sever a limb. Just don't let it slip out of your hands or you'll embed it in the floor or wall and need 2 other people to help you pry it out. And even then it's pretty hard, especially explaining why you suddenly need to patch up a hole that your head can conveniently fit in.
Eedze
imanewbie

Post by Eedze »

Would you call such a thing wielding the Dragonslayer? man i wouldn't even dare to attempt "that" to recieve the title, human able to wield DS
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

It is possible to wield a DS, you just can't do it Gutts' style. Rather than trying to brute force the damned metal slab, just get it moving in an arc. Then adjust it either by continuing to spin around, twisting it up/down, revolving the blade into a backswing, etc. The momentum of the blade keeps it moving, and as long as you outweigh the DS (even by a marginal amount) and keep a good stance, you should be able to get roughly one slash forward per second, and it won't tire you as much.
Which all sounds fine, until you consider both the weight and the length of the blade, that you are holding at one end, and realize that you'd have to be incredibly strong just to manage to lift the tip of the blade a few inches off the floor, let alone swinging it repeatedly.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Worst comes to worst. Ask your foe to stay in one place, then spend the next couple of minutes setting the Dragonslayer up. Only to let it go and have the weight of it cut your foe for you. But note, your "foe" has more than likely moved away.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

You could always incapacitate them first, I suppose, if you have the means.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

I know the Dragonslayer is completely out of reality as a weapon, but huge swords are not impossible to wield - the thing is, is a completely different fight. You do not swing the weapon :) Most of the time we see Gatts using it he's doing some kind of leverage with it - he pends to one side, then pull the sword - using it's weight and momentum to simply cut the enemy in two pieces :P

If you play the game, you'll feel that whenever Gatts uses the sword, it feels heavy. It's awesome.

Which is much cooler than the normal "anime" large swords - where they have a door-like sword that seems to weight the same as a dagger :P
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Khelegond wrote:I know the Dragonslayer is completely out of reality as a weapon, but huge swords are not impossible to wield - the thing is, is a completely different fight. You do not swing the weapon :) Most of the time we see Gatts using it he's doing some kind of leverage with it - he pends to one side, then pull the sword - using it's weight and momentum to simply cut the enemy in two pieces :P

If you play the game, you'll feel that whenever Gatts uses the sword, it feels heavy. It's awesome.

Which is much cooler than the normal "anime" large swords - where they have a door-like sword that seems to weight the same as a dagger :P
Oh, I grant you. One of the things about extremely large swords is that there are a limited number of moves you can do with them (primarily vertical or horizontal slashes), since anything fancy will rip your muscles and tendons. And if you pay attention, Guts almost invariably uses that type of attack, so it's not unrealistic in that respect. I just question that anyone human could use such a large sword at all let alone swing it as fast as he does, and be able to do it for hours on end, as he can. Still, I think Miura gets a lot of points for the realism behind his swordsmanship, most authors don't bother, if they even know enough to consider it.
Arcandus
notanewb

Post by Arcandus »

Istvan wrote: Oh, I grant you. One of the things about extremely large swords is that there are a limited number of moves you can do with them (primarily vertical or horizontal slashes), since anything fancy will rip your muscles and tendons. And if you pay attention, Guts almost invariably uses that type of attack, so it's not unrealistic in that respect. I just question that anyone human could use such a large sword at all let alone swing it as fast as he does, and be able to do it for hours on end, as he can. Still, I think Miura gets a lot of points for the realism behind his swordsmanship, most authors don't bother, if they even know enough to consider it.
Well, thats where is good to have something not real in the manga, Guts is not just mere a human, he faces big fucking huge monsters, and kills many of them.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Make no mistake, Gatts can and does use that sword like it weighs practically nothing. He can swing that sucker REALLY fast. He can change angels with it and everything, no problem, just like it was a katana or something. In fact, in the game, they don't let you swing it nearly as fast as he actually can.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Starnum wrote:Make no mistake, Gatts can and does use that sword like it weighs practically nothing. He can swing that sucker REALLY fast. He can change angels with it and everything, no problem, just like it was a katana or something. In fact, in the game, they don't let you swing it nearly as fast as he actually can.
Yes, but this is because Guts was something of a freak of nature to begin with, and then he got upgraded by spanding all of his time partly in the astral world. Thus what a human can physically do, and what Guts can physically do, are no longer completely the same thing.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Right, humans aren't capable of what he is, for sure. ;)
The Prince
Tastes like burning!

Post by The Prince »

Eedze wrote:agreed. i could possibly lift a 120 kg from the floor. a few centimeters, and i still need to lift it at the balance point in the middle of the sword. so the weight is distributed evenly. but try lifting such a thing by the handle, the blade wil get 4-6 times as heavy just cos the weight is of balance. it would be as heavy as a little car. then trying to swing it without losing balance. its something no man in this world can possibly do. not even chuck norris
Yeah just to offset the weight of the blade itself and center of gravity, you'd have to make the handle extremely heavy as well.
Let's put a smile on that face...............
killxo
imanewbie

Post by killxo »

i sure as hell think his repeating crossbow is really cool.

i agree tho on the fact that alot of animes have sword similair to that but they wield them like daggers, yeah... like Inuyasha. he definatly cant wield a sword like that.

but Guts is made of Win and Brainfuck so he could use a building as a weapon and get away with it. Lol
"well, it's kind of hard to concentrate with you sucking on my penis all the time" - Tom Green
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

We should totally make a replica and have some of the guys from The World's Strongest Man competition wield it and swing it as many times as they can. If someone who can wield such a weapon exists, it has to be Mariusz Pudzianowski (he currently holds the title for World's Strongest Man).
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

War Machine wrote:We should totally make a replica and have some of the guys from The World's Strongest Man competition wield it and swing it as many times as they can. If someone who can wield such a weapon exists, it has to be Mariusz Pudzianowski (he currently holds the title for World's Strongest Man).
But also with something like that it will have to be well made. You don't want that guy swinging that around and the blade breaks off and lops off about 14 heads in the audience....as awesome as that'd be.