Spar Club

Way off-topic, and allowed! General discussions on anything and everything.

Moderator: EG Members

lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Spar Club

Post by lon3vvolf »

Some friends and I decided to form a little sparring group. Heres the first video. Sorry for the quality as its from my digital camera, and I had to increase the size when I was editing it. Also I suck at editing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GynnnG0h3nc
:stupid: Cant figure out how to embed. =(

BTW, I'm the one who gets kicked in the balls. :shock:
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Re: Spar Club

Post by halfnhalf »

so how tall are you? pretty big too.

With the size of your arms, put both hands right under your chin. your arms and elbows are big enough to block body hits. Yah it sparing, but your size could make you a beast.

btw im guess you are what 5'10 190lbs?
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Nice estimate. 6"3, 220 lbs. I took TaeKwonDo for ~5 years and occasionally practice. I prefer using my kicks. I also plan on gaining another 20-80 lbs in order to look like Gutts.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

lon3vvolf wrote:Nice estimate. 6"3, 220 lbs. I took TaeKwonDo for ~5 years and occasionally practice. I prefer using my kicks. I also plan on gaining another 20-80 lbs in order to look like Gutts.

damn im off... but shit, 6'3 220lbs.

Start training in some mma, your size monsterous.

I was under the impression that Gutts was around 6 to 6'4 from 220-230. 300 lbs would make you look like brock lesner.
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

lon3vvolf wrote:Nice estimate. 6"3, 220 lbs. I took TaeKwonDo for ~5 years and occasionally practice. I prefer using my kicks. I also plan on gaining another 20-80 lbs in order to look like Gutts.

Hahaha. Why such the big gap 20 to 80 lbs. You serious?

I dont think you understand how much lifting and supplements you'd have to take to gain 80 pounds.

Actually I dont see you completing that goal unless you take monstrous amounts of protein and volumizers.

Currently I'm 5'11" 195 lbs. And I'm really outta shape. Pretty chubby if you will. If i was to gain 20 lbs right now I'd be a fucking monster.

Other than that. Yea for real. We're sparring all the time and shit. Some of my friends have filmed there shit. I've yet to film my shit. I think I will. Shits fun.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hm, you guys wear gear? Heh, you should really get more physical with all those pads on, lol. Well, it got better towards the end. Some of the boxing looked okay. Also, you've got pretty good form and balance with your kicking, but I've never really liked Tae-Kwon-Do. At least half your arsenal of flashy looking kicks aren't even practical against anyone with some skill. Really, some leg kicks and maybe a nice fast high kick to the head, that's about all you need. Heh, I do love to throw some step-over side kicks though, aka Sweet Chin Music, oh yeah. See, my friends and I have had unofficial fight clubs before, no gear, full-contact. Yeah, just a step below street-fighting. Ah, those were the days. Damn you bastards for being taller than me though, I’m only 5’ 9”. Ah, I can use my lower center of gravity to my advantage though. Btw, you really shouldn’t bounce around on one foot for so long, I know you can kick from that position, but you’re really just leaving your foot out there so it can get grabbed, and of course your balls are exposed, as you already have found out. Heh, yeah, I’ve taken shots to the pills, it sucks balls. Ah man, I’m out of shape now days though. Yeah, I love to have a good physical spar from time to time though, to keep the skills from getting too rusty, you know. I love to box, but by that I just mean throwing punches, I’ve got to be able to grapple and use my whole body to strike too, which you can’t do in professional boxing of course. Also, I never really liked “official spars” or whatever you want to call them, where you keep points. I hate having to break the flow of the fight just because someone scored a point, I’m the kind of fighter that wants to get inside, even if that means taking a little damage. Not that I’m a wrestler or anything. No, I’m definitely more of a striker. Oh, and of course then there’s sparing with swords, which is like a different level for me, but it’s a lot harder to find friends to spar with on that one. XD
War Machine
Tastes like burning!

Post by War Machine »

It's really hard to spar with friends because you don't want to hurt them. A couple of friends sparred with boxing gloves once and it looked pretty much like the the video, quick moves but no intent to hurt. I'm not one for fighting even though I'm tall, I don't know if I'm more afraid of hurting the other guy or getting hurt, but either way it's not for me.

Cool video though, and throw some punches, lon3vvolf. Kicks aren't useful when you're so close to the other guy.
"Clearly my escape had not been anticipated, or my benevolent master would not have expended such efforts to prevent me from going. And if my departure displeased him, then that was a victory, however small, for me." - Raziel
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

A couple of my friends sparring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q1wScbgDhQ

I also could not figure out how to embed.
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.
-Sir Francis Bacon, Of Atheism <---Did I make this my sig? This shits gay as fuck.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

Buzkashi, you and your friends are some serious sluggers! Both clips are pretty neat. What was the song playing in your clip, Buzkashi?
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

I'm not sure what song it is. Its something my buddy threw on there.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Buzkashi wrote: Hahaha. Why such the big gap 20 to 80 lbs. You serious?
Yeah, dead serious. You should have seen me 3 years ago, more flexible, quicker, and weighing 40 lbs less. 300 is a goal, but if I hit 250~260 I think I can manage to swing a 30 lb sword around.
Buzkashi wrote: Actually I dont see you completing that goal unless you take monstrous amounts of protein and volumizers.
Protein shakes x 2 per day. Eat every 3-4 hours. Visit the 3 wise men every week... The Colonel, the Sailor, and the King.
Starnum wrote:Heh, you should really get more physical with all those pads on, lol. Well, it got better towards the end. Some of the boxing looked okay. Also, you've got pretty good form and balance with your kicking, but I've never really liked Tae-Kwon-Do. At least half your arsenal of flashy looking kicks aren't even practical against anyone with some skill. Really, some leg kicks and maybe a nice fast high kick to the head, that's about all you need. Heh, I do love to throw some step-over side kicks though, aka Sweet Chin Music, oh yeah.
This was actually the first time in 3-4 years I've sparred using kicks. TKD is about 70% kicks anyway so its what I know. I'll work on that and next time I'll try to throw some sweet chin music, just for you man.
Starnum wrote:
Btw, you really shouldn’t bounce around on one foot for so long, I know you can kick from that position, but you’re really just leaving your foot out there so it can get grabbed, and of course your balls are exposed, as you already have found out.
Heh, yeah, I’ve taken shots to the pills, it sucks balls.
Yeah I know, now watching the video a couple of times I used that too much. Its just a funny technique that pisses some people off cuz of my size.
Starnum wrote:
Also, I never really liked “official spars” or whatever you want to call them, where you keep points. I hate having to break the flow of the fight just because someone scored a point
Point sparring is totally different from more physical sparring. At martial arts tournaments they often give a point just a weak hit on an exposed part of your opponent. We decided to do light contact since we've never sparred each other before.
Sparring with swords?? WTF is that all about?

I totally agree with you war machine. We once had a blackbelt from another TKD studio switch to ours. He was maybe 2 years younger than me. Our master told us to spar, since I have really good control. The kid kept on throwing knees between his kicks, which is totally illegal in TKD sparring as are elbows, so he was annoying me. I ended up doing a double roundhouse kick, low right leg first then jump with the left and go high, I thought he would block his head but he totally went for the first kick... I kinda hit him hard and he fell over...and didn't get up =(

Buzkashi... your friends are freaking sluggers man. Glad to see neither got knocked out.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

lon3vvolf wrote: Sparring with swords?? WTF is that all about?
Yeah man, kenjutsu. As in, the sword style of using a katana. Like I said, it's a whole other level. I can throw down with some decent MMA, but swinging a sword around, well that's my real forte. It's really just for fun, because I'm a big samurai fan, but a well aimed sword strike can be devestatingly lethal, you know. Besides, hitting your friends with a stick is fun too! :P

Buz, as for your clip, no offense to your friends, but it seemed rather sloppy. I mean, they were just kind of swinging wildly, without really landing with much stopping power. Though they were getting after it, so I'll give them that. Yeah, I'm a big fan of boxing too. Really I just love martial arts and fighting in general. I would give that round to the guy in red trunks though. The other guy may have had more shots landed, but the one in the red trunks threw more compact punches, and I seen some decent looking uppercuts in there. You should tell them to go ahead and don some head gear as well and see if they can score any downs on each other. :P
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Trust me those punches have stopping power. The bigger of the 2 is currently in bootcamp in the marines. He's messed around with a little MMA and was able to go to the California State Wrestling tournament. The smaller guy is actually probably 40lbs smaller than the bigger one. He's just a lil slugger.

But oh yea. These guys are warriors though. A couple of months ago the bigger one in the video got jumped by (this is not an estimate) 15 crips. I will say that his head was covered with so many bumbs that it was disfigured. But he never fell to the ground the whole time. He just found his way to a wall and took the hits trying to block as many as possible. Basically you dont knock the guy out. It just doesnt happen.

EDIT: I will agree that its more of brawling then boxing.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Heh,that's cool. I'll believe it. I guess they just didn't have much stopping power against each other then, is all. XD
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

Buzkashi wrote:Trust me those punches have stopping power. The bigger of the 2 is currently in bootcamp in the marines. He's messed around with a little MMA and was able to go to the California State Wrestling tournament. The smaller guy is actually probably 40lbs smaller than the bigger one. He's just a lil slugger.

But oh yea. These guys are warriors though. A couple of months ago the bigger one in the video got jumped by (this is not an estimate) 15 crips. I will say that his head was covered with so many bumbs that it was disfigured. But he never fell to the ground the whole time. He just found his way to a wall and took the hits trying to block as many as possible. Basically you dont knock the guy out. It just doesnt happen.

EDIT: I will agree that its more of brawling then boxing.
so did the crips get tired and seeing that he wasnt going down decide to leave?
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

Nah. One of my boys pulled him out and we got him outta there.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Why were they jumping him anyway? Was he trying to join their gang, is he a Blood, or did he just piss them off somehow?
Buzkashi
Devourer of Children

Post by Buzkashi »

My friend is known to be an angry drunk who gets into alot of fights.

However this time he wasn't drinking. Everyone was really rowdy that night, especially the gangs. One of them walked up to my friend and started claming his set and everything. My friend responded with " what the fuck, i don't give a shit about your set. I dont gang bang" The guy punched him. And then he got jumped.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Had another sparring session. Thankfully more people showed up this time. We got a lot of good footage which I edited down. It was mostly light-medium contact as some people never sparred before. Tell me what you guys think.

Killer Instinct theme this time.
Oh yeah, there is another nut shot! :shock:
[youtube]YRkOIMXiAe4[/youtube]
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Good times. ;)

In the future, I'd like to see a lot more punching, and at least a little less kicking, all around. :P

Some more grappling wouldn't hurt either. I'm not big on wrestling, but I'm not that bad at it. Besides, who doesn't love some good old ground and pound? Heh, anyway, you guys looked like you were having a lot of fun. Makes me wish I was there to participate. :)
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Thanks for the input. I totally forgot to do some sweet chin music for you...

The guy I spar with in the beginning has never sparred before, so I was goofing off a bit.
The short guy with the white headgear is totally traditional TaeKwonDo, so he doesn't use hands too much. In TKD competitions you usually only get 'points' for kicks with the back leg.

That outfit was supposed to be my Otakon costume. I have the top for it too, but need to cut off the sleeves to make it look like Ryo Sakazaki hence the cheesy punch and double kicks in the intermission. :o

The two Muay Thai guys who showed up I actually never really meet before so it was quite interesting. They also didn't have headgear or mouthpieces so we couldn't go heavy to the head. Their leg kicks made me change my style... damn leg shots taking giants out.

I'd love to do some clinching and ground fighting but the other guys might get scared. I figure once I know people a bit better we can take it to the next level and make it more intense. If your anywhere around the VA/MD/DC area let me know... doors always open. Just no nut shots please! :evil:

Oh yeah, I also did the whole video editing part. Any comments on that?
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

Pretty badass ;)

Last time I sparred, it was with bayonets... long ago.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

care to regale us with tales of the civil war? or do you not like talking about it :P
psi29a
Godo

Post by psi29a »

My older brother had a collection of bayonets, and well.. shit go out of hand. 8)
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

There's a style of fencing that is trained with bayonets. Never done it, tho. We have some for training at our club... how did it go Psi?