Berserk: 288 - "Sea Battle (1)"

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Re: Berserk: 288 - "Sea Battle (1)"

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Oh, those pirates are funny.

Kinda remind me of well know french (or was it belgian) comic. Maybe the american part of this board didn't even heard of "Asterix", but this was one of those titles that we europeans still hold in joy (alongside with "Tintin", "Spirou", etc.). Ok, back to "Asterix": this is a tale of a fierce village that stand against the roman empire which dominate over all european continent. Well, not all, there was a little village that was a continuous thorn to Julius Cesar plan of domination and there greatest weapon was a secret potion prepared by the village's druid Panoramix which granted enormous power to the villagers (everyone would fight). Power enough to dominate easily any roman battalion that had the stupid idea of messing with them. The villagers greatest hero is Asterix and the book follows the adventures of this small but cunning hero with his obese friend Obelix (and his little dog, Ideiafix).
Point his and this is here i connect this with the current chapter of Berserk, in every volume of Asterix, there was a pirate ship full of pirates that was, always, destroyed by Asterix and Obelix, to the point were the pirates always tried to flee (but without success) every time they saw them: in another words, the pirates always had their ass kicked. In Berserk, we've already saw this guys fighting (and losing) against Isidro, the neo-hawks kid and the ex-captain of Farnese group. Now it seems they are getting their asses kicked again by Roderick. Seems both pirates share the same fate of not having any success in their objectives.
FightClub
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by FightClub »

Very nice, and thanks for the release EG.
Rolos wrote:-He was born from a corpse? Has been killing (or assisting in the process) people ever since he was 5? Hahahaa...talk about having a shitty life. Its hilarious because he's not me.
elric le tueur d'amis
Mastered PM

Post by elric le tueur d'amis »

We are in Berserk so I don't think any of the pirates will survive this fight unlike those in Asterix who always end on a raft, nice comparison anyway.

Thanks for the chapter EG.
That guy won''t give up!!
Kill him!!
Wib
imanewbie

Post by Wib »

Thank you, I love you.
ddem1
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by ddem1 »

@MrFelony Image :lol:

This was an awesome chapter. I'd say Miura's writing in the last 2 chaps is like in his best of days. Rock on! :headbang:
The_Paya
Mastered PM

Post by The_Paya »

Thanks a lot.

That pirate's face made me remember of some character in Monkey Island :shock:
-.wherever you go, there you are.-
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

The pirate boss reminded me of a character in SpongeBob SquarePants...

The Flying Dutchman... no? I guess not...

Anyways, thanks to Miura and to the ghosts of EG for another great release. September 14th can't come any sooner.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Roderick has never been cooler, heh. The guy's actually turning out to be pretty cool, who would've known.
zokica
imanewbie

Post by zokica »

pirates of the Caribbean?? hehe.... nice chapter, and once again some sexual allusions by the Japanese :D
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Starnum wrote:Roderick has never been cooler, heh. The guy's actually turning out to be pretty cool, who would've known.
Yeah, I'm not as annoyed as I expected to be (when I found out there was going to be a sea battle against pirates after all), because it's focusing on Roderick, not just the usual group, and he's turning out to be pretty cool in his own right.
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

and like someone said earlier... Guts is slowly but surely gaining a force that could rival the hawks in the right situations... magic users who are trouble for the apostles and their various lower ranks (I predict now that he'll gain a few allies of the mages/wizards on the island) Roderick and his crew for any sea battles... etc...

plus I liked hearing Serpico addressed as "Master of the wind".. its a pretty badass title for anyone... and I know people don't like him but Serpico has proven to be exactly that.
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

elric le tueur d'amis wrote:We are in Berserk so I don't think any of the pirates will survive this fight unlike those in Asterix who always end on a raft, nice comparison anyway.

Not saying that they will survive like those poor slobs in Asterix.
I Wonder if they don't end surviving, like a recurring gag of some sort by Miura? Or that some monsters is lurking in the depths of the sea waiting for his opportunity to fest himself on poor sailors?
At least, from now, it will give Guts a good time to recover himself...
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Death&Rebirth wrote:
elric le tueur d'amis wrote:We are in Berserk so I don't think any of the pirates will survive this fight unlike those in Asterix who always end on a raft, nice comparison anyway.

Not saying that they will survive like those poor slobs in Asterix.
I Wonder if they don't end surviving, like a recurring gag of some sort by Miura? Or that some monsters is lurking in the depths of the sea waiting for his opportunity to fest himself on poor sailors?
At least, from now, it will give Guts a good time to recover himself...
Yeah, a major battle that doesn't feature Guts is a refreshing change of pace. And that poor man needs some down time to recover yet.
Lord Rae
Mastered PM

Post by Lord Rae »

Just wait they're gonna run into one of the godhand who's taken up residence under the sea...
klugolo
imanewbie

Post by klugolo »

oh my god!
Still no direct link?
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

I'm going to be a good guy and direct you to the "Interstice", where our good friend Brainpiercing posts the direct links. But please, don't do that. Simply don't do that. You might be flamed forever.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

klugolo wrote:oh my god!
Still no direct link?
You know, you are an idiot. And you've even posted in the interstice before. You should know where the directs are posted.

In addition, you're an impatient idiot. And that really makes me wish I COULD block your IP, unfortunately I don't have that kind of control over my server space.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Lord Rae wrote:Just wait they're gonna run into one of the godhand who's taken up residence under the sea...
You know, now that you mention it, if that happened I would not be one bit surprised.
klugolo wrote:oh my god!
Still no direct link?
oh my god!
Still idiots like this around?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yes, it is sad, but some people just can't be bothered to do such trying things as...read...or look around the forums a little bit, or even remember things for that matter. *shrugs*
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Oh well, he probably will either figure things out eventually, or he won't be around for very long, so we won't have to deal with him. I figure if he doesn't get a clue fairly soon, somebody will get annoyed enough to ban him.
Xarfai
imanewbie

Post by Xarfai »

As I said a few times before, I am not too happy with the developement of berserk. All the women having something for Guts, I don´t know, there have been times when berserk was not that stereotype. And with Roderick we have again someone outstanding, I would have preferred him as a more "normal" man. I am not sure if I can put it into fittings words, but these days nearly everyone in the story seems to be someone special, someone outstanding, and in my opinion this takes away some depth of the story, it just doesn´t seem to be, let´s say, balanced anymore.

But I seem to be nearly the only one who feels this way, so don´t mind me. :D After all, I am awaiting a great battle in the next chapter.
guywildman
imanewbie

Post by guywildman »

Thank you for this translation, berserk is just plain awesome with win gravy.
personally I just love the story and how it's going, Roderick is really showing he's stuff he may not be much of a swordsman but he's apparently a really good see man which is cool but I don't see much usefulness out of it sense midland is not a navel city and it's capital is no were close to the see (as far as we saw in the mange) so I don't see how useful he'll be later on in the manga.
and just a quick response to xarfai, if guts gathered a thousand humans and each was of extraordinary skill, it would not put him (in my opinion) any were near the amount of power it takes to defeat the new hawks and the apostle army, not to mention no human but guts can touch they're leader and I always found all main or side characters in berserk extra ordinary in one way or another from luca to pippin judo and the gang.
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

Xarfai wrote:As I said a few times before, I am not too happy with the developement of berserk. All the women having something for Guts, I don´t know, there have been times when berserk was not that stereotype. And with Roderick we have again someone outstanding, I would have preferred him as a more "normal" man. I am not sure if I can put it into fittings words, but these days nearly everyone in the story seems to be someone special, someone outstanding, and in my opinion this takes away some depth of the story, it just doesn´t seem to be, let´s say, balanced anymore.
Why tell a story about an average joe? I find awesome all characters in Berserk, in Gatts "troupe". And about them having something for Gatts... we had a lot of development for Casca, Schierke was just a little girl that lived all her life in a tree with only an older lady, and Farneze is just some rich spoiled girl. They all never had any "manly" contact, so... and women usually (at least in comics :P ) are attracted to the strong man, the alpha male. And Gatts is a perfect exemple of an Alpha Male.
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

And with Roderick we have again someone outstanding, I would have preferred him as a more "normal" man. I am not sure if I can put it into fittings words, but these days nearly everyone in the story seems to be someone special, someone outstanding, and in my opinion this takes away some depth of the story, it just doesn´t seem to be, let´s say, balanced anymore.
If you want a "normal" character, you can go with Farnese's brother, who's fairly normal. Of course, he really annoys me, and he's totally useless (too "normal" to be useful) but to each their own, I suppose.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Xarfai wrote:As I said a few times before, I am not too happy with the developement of berserk. All the women having something for Guts, I don´t know, there have been times when berserk was not that stereotype. And with Roderick we have again someone outstanding, I would have preferred him as a more "normal" man. I am not sure if I can put it into fittings words, but these days nearly everyone in the story seems to be someone special, someone outstanding, and in my opinion this takes away some depth of the story, it just doesn´t seem to be, let´s say, balanced anymore.
Well then go back and read the manga which has normal people in it... oh wait, those don't really exist. Being normal sucks. Look at the hundreds of mundane characters in every anime/manga. Your telling me you'd enjoy reading/watching some century guards stand at the gate each day, only to be slaughtered inexplicably by some random badass? Developed characters with a back story take away depth of the story. Perfect sense. I agree... berserk needs to be more balanced like it was back during the Ecplise when Gutts singlehandedly avoided countless demons... or that time he made an angel fall from the sky.

Oh wait, I take it all back. Your just jealous of all the women having a thing for Gutts. As you do too. My bad. Its ok. :wink:

Im a bit pissed off today, can you tell?

# edit #
1 month till next release!