Guitar Hero

Welcome to the official EG Gaming Buzkashi League (EGBL).

Moderator: EG Members

Starnum
Elven King

Guitar Hero

Post by Starnum »

Has anyone else around here gotten to play this yet? A good friend of mine bought it a couple of weeks ago, so I've been playing when I go to visit him. Man, it's a lot of fun. I hate DDR, but I totally dig this game. It's fairly pricey, mainly due to the fact that the controllers are fake guitars. How freaking cool is that? Dishing out the dough for them can be a pain though. However, I'm inclined to say it's worth it, especially if you like these types of games, or just love songs with guitars, and always wanted to be a rock star or something. If I could afford it, I'd have already gone out and gotten it myself. I was worried that I wouldn't be any good, but I'm actually decent at it. I've seen some people play all the way through the hardest song on extreme though (online of course) and that freaking blows my mind. Hell, my friend can do it too, but he's not able to kick it's ass like those guys online yet. So far I'm working on mastering normal mode, so I've still got a ways to go. I wish there was more metal on the game, but there are several songs I like on there. I love the Grim Ripper character too, he has the best animations and character detail by far. Not that this really has anything to do with the game, but he's still a cool character. Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it since the game is so damn awesome...see if anyone else had anything to add.

Okay, so here's a link to this guy playing the hardest song in the game, The Breaking Wheel. Plus, he's playing it on fucking expert, the hardest setting in the game. The intro to the video is pretty funny too. The scary thing is, this guy isn't even rated near the top on Score Hero, and he owns at this game. Now, behold the glory that is, Guitar Hero!

Okay, had to include this one too, because the intro cracks me up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_LqoOp ... ed&search=[/youtube]
Last edited by Starnum on Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I suck at rhythm games (except for Samba de Amigo), but I picked this one up a few months ago and I love it! I got all my friends hooked. ITs an awesome game. I still get my ass handed to me in expert mode, but I can do half the songs on hard. I think Bark at the Moon is the hardest song to play.

The sequel is coming out sometime this fall, they just released a list of some of the songs on it:

# Nirvana; "Heart-Shaped Box"
# Primus (original recording); "John the Fisherman"
# Stone Temple Pilots; "Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart
# Anthrax; "Madhouse
# Motley Crue; "Shout at the Devil"
# The Police; "Message in a Bottle"
# The Pretenders; Tattooed Love Boys
# Spinal Tap; "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight
# Heart; "Crazy on You"
# Allman Brothers Band; "Jessica"
# Lynyrd Skynrd; "Freebird"
# Avenged Sevenfold; "Beast and the Harlot"
# Dick Dale; "Misirlou"
# Lamb of God; "Laid to Rest"
# Alice in Chains; "Them Bones"
# Reverend Horton Heat; "Psychobilly Freakout"
# Black Sabbath; "War Pigs"
# KISS; "Strutter"
# Butthole Surfers; "Who Was in My Room Last Night?"
# Van Halen; "You Really Got Me"
# Guns N' Roses; "Sweet Child O'Mine
# The Rolling Stones; "Can You Hear Me Knocking?"
# Rush; "YYZ"

I cant wait.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
blames them for his own mistakes." - Gene Roddenberry
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Yeah, Guitar Hero has always looked fun to me. The local Best Buy has it hooked into their display PS2, so everytime I go there I grab that axe and rock out. A buddy and I did "Smoke on the Water" together and it seemed to take forever. I have been wanteingto pick it up, but $70 seems a biut expensive to me. Although when I heard that #2 was coming out in November, I resolved to put it on my Christmas list.
ImageImage
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Whoa, that's a sweet ass list of songs for the sequel. I can't believe they're actually including a Lamb of God song, that kicks so much ass. I can't wait to play it.
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

I dont think its that expensive. I mean, your average game is 50 dollars. So its 20 more for a controller. Thats not bad considering maracas for Samba de Amigo were 80 dollars on top of the 50 dollar game, and to really have a blast you must have two sets of maracas, that was expensive....but so worth it.
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

That's true. I did pay $60 for the Controller and game for Taiko Drum Master, but money is a little tight for me now, plus I am looking to get a way to import Japanese games (either through flip top case or new PS2, Im not sure yet).
ImageImage
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Guitar Hero II comes out November 7th. It will have 40+ songs and some are 7 and 10 minutes long! my fingers are going to be so sore. It will have a practice mode where you can play just the intro, chorus, or solos and you can slow them down. Along with versus mode from the first game, there will be a co-op mode where the second player plays bass or rhythm guitar depending on the song.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Ah man, that sounds totally sweet. Thanks for the update.
Wandering_Mystic
n00b Smasher

Post by Wandering_Mystic »

I, too, love this game. It might be one of the first purchases I make when I get a steady flow of cash again, hehe
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

I just read this today, it looks like after Guitar Hero 2s release in the fall, Guitar Hero games are going multi-platform to, as Activison CEO Robert Kotick said, "...you can expect next calendar year launches of Guitar Hero on every significant new format."

It wasn't said specifically, but one can only assume this means Guitar Hero will be coming out for the 360 and the Wii now.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157997.ht ... tword;link
ImageImage
Gaiseric
Tastes like burning!

Post by Gaiseric »

Guitar Hero II song list leaked!

Opening Licks:
Strutter - Kiss
Mother - Danzig
Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters
Shout At The Devil - Motley Crue
Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You Tonight - Spinal Tap

Amp-Warmers:
Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana
Message In A Bottle - Police
Woman - Wolfmother (artist not confirmed)
You Really Got Me - Van Halan (Kinks)
Carry On Wayward Son - Kansas

String Snappers:
Surrender - Cheap Trick
Them Bones - Alice in Chains
Search and Destroy - Stooges (artist not confirmed, but it damn well better be the stooges!)
Tatooed Love Boys - The Pretenders
War Pigs - Sabbath

Thrash and Burn:
Cherry Pie - Warrant
Who Was In My Room Last Night - Butthole Surfers
Girlfriend - Darkness (artist not confirmed), some say Mathew Sweet
Can’t You Hear Me Knocking - Rolling Stones
Sweet Child of Mine - GnR

Return of the Shred:
Killing In The Name - Rage Against The Machine
John The Fisherman - Primus
Freya - Sword (artist not confirmed)
Bad Reputation - (too hard to say, my guess is Thin Lizzy, but could be Joan Jett)
Jessica - Allman Brothers

Relentless Riffs:
Crazy On You - Heart
Trippin On A Hole In A Paper Heart - STP
Rock This Town - Stray Cays
Last Child - Aerosmith
Stop - Janes Addiction (artist not confirmed, but I really hope it’s Janes Addiction.)

Furious Fretwork:
Madhouse - Antrhax

Already confirmed songs:
Hangar 18 - Megadeth
Laid to Rest - Lamb of God
Misirlou - Dick Dale
Beast and the Harlet - Avenged Sevenfold
Freebird - Lyn Skyn
YYZ - Rush.
Psychobilly Freakout - Rev Horton Heat

That’s 38 Songs announced. There are only supposed to be 40 liscensed songs, plus 15 bonus songs. That only leaves two songs left to be announced.
Farla
imanewbie

Post by Farla »

My room mate picked up Guitar Hero not too long ago. It's fun, but I suck at it. She's really good at it though, I think she can do expert now. I can't wait for the second one to come out, that's an awsome list of songs!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yes, I'm looking forward to this game, with that list of songs, heh. Too bad it's "Search and Destroy" and not "Seek and Destroy" by Metallica. :P
Muddtoad
imanewbie

Post by Muddtoad »

I just read that Guitar Hero III for the Nintendo Wii is going to have some unique features, I'm pumped. I wonder what they will be. I hope they have some Metallica and Disturbed songs as well.
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

Muddtoad wrote:I just read that Guitar Hero III for the Nintendo Wii is going to have some unique features, I'm pumped. I wonder what they will be. I hope they have some Metallica and Disturbed songs as well.

man what a nerco.
Muddtoad
imanewbie

Post by Muddtoad »

halfnhalf wrote:man what a nerco.

Speak in proper English, nobody understands that internet spam.
Tempest
Dirty Sennin

Post by Tempest »

Muddtoad wrote: Speak in proper English, nobody understands that internet spam.

Let me translate for him:

You're an idiot for making a useless comment in an old thread that everyone had all but forgotten about. Is that proper enough?
ImageImage
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Tempest wrote:Is that proper enough?
NO, IT ISN'T!
Muddtoad
imanewbie

Post by Muddtoad »

You don't think I know this thread is dead? Hell the earlier posts talk about how Guitar Hero 2 hasn't come out yet. Was my comment useless? Totally; but I could care less. Maybe somebody would find it interesting? If you don't, then just keep quiet and don't take the effort to reply to the thread.
Femto
Devourer of Children

Post by Femto »

Muddtoad wrote:just keep quiet and don't take the effort to reply to the thread.
Heed your own advice.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

I have Guitar Hero 2 for Ps2. Its a great game, but I'm slightly jealous of the 360 version. Downloadable song FTW!
halfnhalf
Conversation Killer

Post by halfnhalf »

lon3vvolf wrote:Downloadable song FTW!

at 6.25 for 3 songs? thats a loss not a win... espically when all the d/l songs were on both gh1 and gh2 already for the ps2.

/ninja edit

I forgot, that im paying for a song that is done by cover band... SO WTF?!?! it costs more?
Shisho
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by Shisho »

Yeah I love this game too, it's nothing like the real guitar. It kept fucking me up cause the arrangement left to right are the strings and to me that's actually fret motion.

I first played Hero II at a huge party a few weeks ago on 360. Someone brought it over and they had it set up to a HD projection in the garage covering the whole garage door. It was pretty sweet, and there were a couple of expert players there too.

It's a great party game.
wotjesus
imanewbie

Re: Guitar Hero

Post by wotjesus »

Let's see some Rusty Cooley on there.

Yeah... like that would even be possible to perform on the GH controller.

Still, interesting to think about.