Berserk: 287 - "Bubbles"

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Re: Berserk: 287 - "Bubbles"

Post by Buuhan1 »

Lord Rae wrote:The bigger ones if you get your fingers between two of them that are coming together you're likely to lose them.
Uo...that's kinda scary! Never have I been scared of a magnet. Luckily, I doubt I'll come into contact with such strong magnets. And if I do I'd hope I'd have better sense not to put any part of myself in-between them. Personally, I'm quite fond of Gut's arm. It's probably less functional in the finger department as it is cause it has a bloody cannon in it and it's suppose to be a weapon. And that's all it's suppose to be, I don't think it was ever suppose to be a full fledge replacement and I'd hope Guts doesn't think of it as one.

Really, I think Guts would have enough sense to not get a new one. A new arm that's less of a weapon to protect by grabbing someone who perhaps decides to fall which is probably rare, compared to his current arm which is used to protect in blowing some monsters head off which is quite often. HOWEVER, I notice Guts rarely uses his cannon and he mainly relies on his sword. So he may decide to want a arm with more ability to grip.
I think Guts is a pretty cool guy, eh kills shit an doesn't afraid of anything.
lon3vvolf
n00b Smasher

Post by lon3vvolf »

Very interesting points, but as was said earlier things cannot go back to what they were. Gutts hand was lost at the height of the anime, and has continued to be a constance since. It seemed to had worked well enough for him. Maybe the magical dudes at Elfhelm COULD give him his hand and eye back, but remember to when everyone got their magical weapons. Wasn't Gutts offered some kind of axe, and then promptly refused it because the DS served him well?

I'm also glad the whole overboard thing didn't end up being more than 1 chapter. You know how Minura can do things like that. Yeah, its clearly evident Farnese and Shierke want some Gutts. :wink:
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

thesyndrome wrote:starnum, i think that the "little scars" all over his body aren't from the armour (as such), but from his skin being burned
Now granted, I’m not counting out the damage he took after he got the armor as well. The armor literally allows you to ignore pain, and move on as if it hadn’t happened. You remember when he first put it on though? Go back and look at it if you don’t, when he was fighting with Grunbeld. At one point his limbs were getting broken, and the armor would just twist all the shit back together. It looked almost as if he was in some kind of grinder. That experience definitely could have caused all those scars. Just look at that incident and compare it to the patterns of the scars alone. The ones on his arms are in the shape of rings. It’s even hard to tell where the bandages on his arms end sometimes. Besides, most of those scars don’t even look like burns. Heh, also looks like he has a stab wound near his heart.

Anyway, the metal hand does seem to require a bit of suspended disbelief, however unlike the hilt of the dragon slayer, which very well my be made of metal, Casca’s hand is not…hence the magnet theory. *shrugs*

Also, for all we know, the king of Elfhelm might actually have magic that could give Gatts a new arm and a new eye. Yet somehow I don’t see that happening. I mean, who even knows if Gatts would even want them back.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

ghostdog wrote:Thanks again for the great work you do with berserk

And finally we get to see a really good chapter, frankly I was getting bored with all the unstoppable action that every time gets even more outrageous...This is an excellent chapter with a lot of character development and finally we get to see a bit of Guts and Caska...
I'm going to have to quote this post for all you shonen-only retards.....
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
KrazyIvan
imanewbie

Post by KrazyIvan »

I confirm - there was something about magnets in the chapter where Guts was leaving Godo's place to figth aposltes for the first time but I'm not shure if it was the hand that was magnetic or was it the dragonslayer's handle - have to find that chapter.
I'm not a physics expert but there is one thing about this theory that keeps bothering me since this seems to be a permanent magnet. I understand the way he can hold grip of the sword - but since it's permanent how can he let go after the battle?
(and an electric generator up the ass would really distract him during battles...)

As for the plot - I am under an impression that Miura streched that last part about Griffith a bit to take same time and think over what to do with Guts what will happen in elfhelm - as we know - there are countles theories on this forum only - I think Miura had even more ideas and simply wanted to pick the best way to develop the story. I'm not saying that the Griffith plot was a 'filler' (in a sense this term is used in the posts above), it was cool but for some reason it seamed to me... i don't know... little less Miura's style - the plot and characters seemed to develop a bit slower.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

The Griffith plot was an important part of the story. It's the part where Griffith achieves his kingdom without becoming a tyrant to the people of Midland.

It only felt slow because the times between releases was so long. Had he delivered a chapter every month, it would have felt a lot less drawn out. I'm convinced once we reread the complete volumes it won't feel overly long at all, nor out of place.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

I can say otherwise. I started reading all of Berserk a few weeks ago (I'm a new fan, tho I read the first 3 volumes last year). I got caught up on "All Aboard", 2 days before this chapter came out. So I read the chapters one after another, and the Griffith part was kinda boring and slow. But I'm also more interested in Guts group so that could be why.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

KrazyIvan wrote:As for the plot - I am under an impression that Miura streched that last part about Griffith a bit to take same time and think over what to do with Guts what will happen in elfhelm - as we know - there are countles theories on this forum only - I think Miura had even more ideas and simply wanted to pick the best way to develop the story. I'm not saying that the Griffith plot was a 'filler' (in a sense this term is used in the posts above), it was cool but for some reason it seamed to me... i don't know... little less Miura's style - the plot and characters seemed to develop a bit slower.
If Miura had any doubt about future plotlines, he wouldn't release drawn out chapters to buy himself time - he just wouldn't release any at all. Elfhelm was likely conceptualised long before it was first mentioned in the manga, which was, what, three years ago? That leaves plenty of time to plan for this event, if he didn't have a conclusion in mind already. And what part(s) did you feel were stretched? The focus on Griffith only lasted for six or seven chapters, and in that time he obliterated the Kushan, won over the ex-Midland nobles, and was declared the White Hawk by the Pontiff. No doubt people will tell you of the importance of this, and personally, I really enjoyed those chapters, even though some apparently found it boring.

Oh, and I do not want Guts' arm and eye to be restored. The ability to do this would almost remove the physical consequences of future battles, and diminish the significance of past ones, in my opinion. Notably, the Eclipse as that's what the arm and eye symbolise, even to Guts himself. As long as he had a heartbeat, he would always be able to make a complete recovery, and it's too shonen for me. What'd be next? A set of drago- I mean, magical balls that grants the user one wish (or three depending on where you are)? Heh, just kidding, but still, I don't want it to happen.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Yeah, I also find it far-fetched Miura is still thinking. I've been developing a story since 2001 and finished it but I am now working on it trying to make it better, and I still yet to start drawing it. I'm not comparing myself to Miura but usually any graphic artist has almost everything planned before they start drawing, but I don't find it far fetched for them to add things as they are drawing it or add things in later events as they've experienced doing the comic/manga.

But something major like this, pretty obvious he's had an idea for a while.
hbi2k
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by hbi2k »

lon3vvolf wrote:Yeah, its clearly evident Farnese and Shierke want some Gutts. :wink:
Doesn't everybody? Seriously, besides Charlotte and the Queen, is there a major female character in the entire manga who isn't paired with Guts at some point? That tends to happen to main characters.... (-:
Berserk: The Abridged Series: Beating a dead horse with another dead horse.
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Doesn't everybody? Seriously, besides Charlotte and the Queen, is there a major female character in the entire manga who isn't paired with Guts at some point? That tends to happen to main characters.... (-:
The girlish elf... :D
I know it was rethoric question...
Also, for all we know, the king of Elfhelm might actually have magic that could give Gatts a new arm and a new eye. Yet somehow I don’t see that happening. I mean, who even knows if Gatts would even want them back.
Could, but nothing is free and surely it will have a high price (the berserker armor is example enough). Considering what Miura has done with Berserk, i think that neither he's eye or arm will be back. His metal-arm might be enhanced but surely for low period of time. Actually funny was if Gut's letf arm would come back to taunt the big man himself in a very "Evil Dead" simillar situation. Evil Dead is in fact one of Miura's favourite movies.
KrazyIvan
imanewbie

Post by KrazyIvan »

I'm not saying that these chapters were boring or unsignificant - I consider them wery important to the plot. After all griffith seems to be socond most important character in the manga. My opinion was propably based by the fact that one battle lasted for four chapter and was concluded in the fifth, combined with the long wait (i konw- you can't paint so many soldiers in a day and I realy do admire the artwork). But reading your post I think i'll reconsider my judgments adter the next re-read of the manga. Maybe it was also the pause in the elfhelm story- Gut's party was "ok were going to elfhelm" and then there was no signs of them half a year or so. In conclusion i think my impresions might be irrelevant due to to long time between releses and if i look on the story as a whole it seem even more that Brainpiercing has hit the spot.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Death&Rebirth wrote:
Could, but nothing is free and surely it will have a high price (the berserker armor is example enough). Considering what Miura has done with Berserk, i think that neither he's eye or arm will be back. His metal-arm might be enhanced but surely for low period of time. Actually funny was if Gut's letf arm would come back to taunt the big man himself in a very "Evil Dead" simillar situation. Evil Dead is in fact one of Miura's favourite movies.
Funny you mention that. I saw my first Evil Dead movie today...well...kinda. It was the third one, Army of Darkness. I am too much of a pussy for horror, so I dare not try and watch the first 2. But this one was comedy and stand-alone from what I heard, I greatly enjoyed it.
thesyndrome
imanewbie

Post by thesyndrome »

Death&Rebirth wrote:
well actually roshinu did state that he was a "hunky, cool guy" and could see why jill liked him...now THERE would be an interesting couple, what would the kid look like? :shock:
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

thesyndrome wrote:
Death&Rebirth wrote:
well actually roshinu did state that he was a "hunky, cool guy" and could see why jill liked him...now THERE would be an interesting couple, what would the kid look like? :shock:
I was felt that statement as being to taunt Sheirke and not really what she felt towards him, but anyway...
For shame for creating such mental image...
Even the act of "get it on" sounds complicated, unless she knows a specific located shrink spell of some sort (or rapidily grow spell for herself)...
Funny you mention that. I saw my first Evil Dead movie today...well...kinda. It was the third one, Army of Darkness. I am too much of a pussy for horror, so I dare not try and watch the first 2. But this one was comedy and stand-alone from what I heard, I greatly enjoyed it.
Evil Dead III: Army of Darkness is the of those movies that you can't end loving it. It's not an all together stand-alone since it continuos were Evil Dead II finished (iirc, Evil Dead II is kinda of spin-of/remake/unrelated sequel of Evil Dead), but it swaps part of horror for a full fledged dark comedy, because even Evil Dead II had already some comedy traits. I think you can see the Evil Dead trilogy with no problem, i mean, you read Berserk and there are scariest shit around there like most of Uwe Boll's movies (despict the fact that they aren't horror movies).
Also, and i know that most of you know this, but Miura after seeing Evil Dead III. Army of Darkness, was a bit frightned that a lawsuit for copyright issues could hit him, since there was similarities between Bruce Campbell main role character, Ash and Guts.
Turd Ferguson
notanewb

Post by Turd Ferguson »

thesyndrome wrote:
Death&Rebirth wrote:
I think by "girlish elf" he was referring to Ivarella, not Roshinu.
My stream of conciousness flows into a river of blood.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Death&Rebirth wrote:Evil Dead III: Army of Darkness is the of those movies that you can't end loving it. It's not an all together stand-alone since it continuos were Evil Dead II finished (iirc, Evil Dead II is kinda of spin-of/remake/unrelated sequel of Evil Dead), but it swaps part of horror for a full fledged dark comedy, because even Evil Dead II had already some comedy traits. I think you can see the Evil Dead trilogy with no problem, i mean, you read Berserk and there are scariest shit around there like most of Uwe Boll's movies (despict the fact that they aren't horror movies).
Also, and i know that most of you know this, but Miura after seeing Evil Dead III. Army of Darkness, was a bit frightned that a lawsuit for copyright issues could hit him, since there was similarities between Bruce Campbell main role character, Ash and Guts.
Yeah, I read that in an interview a few days ago. After seeing the movie yesterday, I'd be scared shitless too. And I can kinda connect as well, as I started creating my story in 2001 and upon such I've seen similarities in tons of other things. INCLUDING Berserk. But that's the wonderful thing of coincidences, I'm not gonna change my story cause of it. Glad Miura didn't either.
ghostdog
imanewbie

Post by ghostdog »

hbi2k wrote:
lon3vvolf wrote:Yeah, its clearly evident Farnese and Shierke want some Gutts. :wink:
OMG it's turning into a harem manga :shock: :lol:
Yep it's obvious all the girls in guts party have the hots for him , but it's just to give some romantic interest in the story since Casca isn't reacting well to guts presence in the later arcs. Anyway I think that later on Farnese will turn to her man-slave and Schierke will end with the anoying brat... (yes , dreadful , I know...)
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

I'd have to shoot someone if Schierke ends up with Ishidro. And that's not cause I approve of GutsxSchierke. (GxS is just so damn cute....) Unfortunately...I do see it happening. -_-;
Death&Rebirth
Mastered PM

Post by Death&Rebirth »

Actually i find it very probable that if Shierke ends up with anybody it will be Isidro. Because Guts doesn't see her as consort and want she has towards Guts is little crush. Also, mostly, the opposite attracts since she and Isidro are always head-on-head and it's cliché in most comedy romances (not saying this is one, so hold your horses) for this to happen.
I don't find the paring SxI bad, really. But i think that Shierke in the end will end up alone in this saga, mostly like her mentor.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Yeah, I honestly see her being alone. Cause even tho I support the pairing of her with Guts, it is a crush and Guts is in love with Caska. Tho she probably wont be alone as everyone seems to have a partner.

Caska = Guts
Schierke = Ishidro
Farnese = Serpico
Ivalera = Puck

But hey, where is all the love for GutsxApostleWhichGutsFuckedSoleyToBlowItsHeadOffInTheOpeningOfTheSeries? That was an epic romance.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Farnese & Serpico? Where are you from, the south? Hell, I'm from the south and that doesn't sound right. :P

Seriously, they're half siblings, it ain't gonna happen, or at least it shouldn't. :P

Don't think Serpico is down like that, and Farnese only came onto him that one time, before she found out.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Starnum wrote:Farnese & Serpico? Where are you from, the south? Hell, I'm from the south and that doesn't sound right. :P

Seriously, they're half siblings, it ain't gonna happen, or at least it shouldn't. :P

Don't think Serpico is down like that, and Farnese only came onto him that one time, before she found out.
This is Berserk we're talking about here.

Also, I thought Farnese is still in the dark with her relation to Serpico?
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Shush you! :P

Yeah, she might be, actually. Either way, Serpico has shown that he's not into it, and I don't blame him, heh.
Buuhan1
Mastered PM

Post by Buuhan1 »

Starnum wrote:Shush you! :P

Yeah, she might be, actually. Either way, Serpico has shown that he's not into it, and I don't blame him, heh.
Farnese could always en-act the motion of "RAPE TIME!" ya'know. She can be scary like that.