Currently Watching?

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Libaax
Of The Abyss

Re: Currently Watching?

Post by Libaax »

Just finished watching Major 54-55

Now its time for Angel Heart while i wait for Major dls.
The ink of a scholar is worth a thousand times more than the blood of the martyr- The Quran
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Last edited by Damien on Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

NARUTO + BLEACH doesn't even come close to the BEST MANGA= ONE PIECE
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Bleach
Naruto:Shippuuden
D. gray-man
Darker than black
Gurenn Lagan

Havent watched anime for a while now, been busy with my 360 :P
But playtime is over until some games comes out

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Lazarus Ledd
imanewbie

Post by Lazarus Ledd »

Damien wrote:One Piece
Should I give up on ERGO PROXY ? Its boring me to tears, and I was wondering if it picks up, or is that not till near the end of the series?

Don't!! :D
I've decided to download it just becasue you we're so thrilled expecting to start showing :)))

ME:

Hajime No Ippo
Gto
FMA
Gto live action
Claymore
Basilisk
Death Note
Heroic Age

some of these are on hold from time to time, but i'm currently watching them
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Begun to follow :

Kaze No Stigma.
Entertaining anime, reminds me of Tenjou Tenge in many many aspects. But who cares as long as it works :D

Skullman
Might drop it if something dont turn things upside down soon :P

Denno Coil.
Could become interesting this one.

Bokurano.
Good intro song :P
Just seen the first one so dont really know if this will be anything to follow yet.

Heroic Age
Pretty entertaining

Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I just rewatched Cowboy Bebop and thought that the quality of that anime is still better than current standards.

As for Ergo Proxy, I was so swept away by the whole atmosphere and the mystique that I continued to watch it. In hindsight, it really was a waste of time. I was expecting something like Bladerunner, but instead I was disappointed with the series as a whole at the end. It was a decent weekly (or so) ride, but whether it's worth watching in bulk is debatable.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Apart from popcorn ending I still think Ergo Proxy was a great show. And all things considered, endings are the major WEAK points of anime series in general. You can't have CB in every show. So I've stopped rating shows by their endings - except when the endings are great.

What I've watched recently, and am watching, without mentioning that in other threads:

Patlabor TV, I'm still a sucker for Patlabor, even though the series is old and looks fugly

Seto no Hayanome, after the soso first few eps this is becoming an increasingly over the top comedy, and a very good watch.

I've now also started getting Heroic age, but can't judge it yet.

Reideen, this is, frankly, really not a good show. I watch it when I really have nothing better to to.
Brainpiercing
"Beer cures poison" - (almost) Guts.
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

I really like Ergo Proxy. It was a bunch of pseudo-intellectual pretentious bullshit from start to finish, and it stood proud by that fact.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Catherwood
imanewbie

Post by Catherwood »

Lucky Star, and I find it completely awful. It's just so ridiculously boring, but boring is what you get when the first episode is almost entirely devoted to how to eat popsicles without dropping the last part, and grilling onion beef tongues.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Highlander : The Search for Vengeance -- Pretty decent movie I give it a 7.5/10 nice action just wish it had a bit more action.

Grzi
imanewbie

Post by Grzi »

LordMune wrote:I really like Ergo Proxy. It was a bunch of pseudo-intellectual pretentious bullshit from start to finish, and it stood proud by that fact.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i'm watching sorcerer stabber orphen..
a little bit of old school, even though it's not THAT old...
it seems ok, nothing too spectacular, but fun...
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

LordMune wrote:I really like Ergo Proxy. It was a bunch of pseudo-intellectual pretentious bullshit from start to finish, and it stood proud by that fact.
Why is everything that aims at anything beyond a straight-forward story (even though it may be intricate), pseuto-intellectual bullshit? EP aimed at classical high scifi, the only problem is, classical high sci-fi is dead for a reason. During the golden age of science fiction, it seemed the problems discussed would have relevance in the near or far future, or were even allegorical to the present. Modern high sci-fi must search further away for relevant topics - or must debate nonsensical issues seriously. In addition, the general accumulation of knowledge has made it increasingly harder to write convincing SCIENCE fiction.

IMHO sci-fi needs to steer away from the exact how things are done, to the simple possibility of doing them, and here EP delivers. After the apocalypse humanity creates its own gods to save itself. This is a distinct possibilty - just the apocalypse seems unreal. It hasn't lost its dramatic appeal however. The question of whether humanity needs to become a gathering of drones to survive in a future paradisical enclave isn't that far off, and just how this paradise will look is a valid question, or whether humanity will be able to bury its belligerent instincts.

You can criticise that EP spent too little time on developing the story, and too much on allegorical episodes, but even so, those eps were well done, IMHO, with just minor flaws. The ambition to actually do those eps, and deliver them to a wide public, is to be commended. YES, it is possible to present all the issues touched just within the context of a story. That would be the classical approach of English prose. But it is by far not the only way.
Brainpiercing
LordMune
Femto's Favorite Member

Post by LordMune »

Brainpiercing wrote:
Why is everything that aims at anything beyond a straight-forward story (even though it may be intricate), pseuto-intellectual bullshit? EP aimed at classical high scifi, the only problem is, classical high sci-fi is dead for a reason. During the golden age of science fiction, it seemed the problems discussed would have relevance in the near or far future, or were even allegorical to the present. Modern high sci-fi must search further away for relevant topics - or must debate nonsensical issues seriously. In addition, the general accumulation of knowledge has made it increasingly harder to write convincing SCIENCE fiction.

IMHO sci-fi needs to steer away from the exact how things are done, to the simple possibility of doing them, and here EP delivers. After the apocalypse humanity creates its own gods to save itself. This is a distinct possibilty - just the apocalypse seems unreal. It hasn't lost its dramatic appeal however. The question of whether humanity needs to become a gathering of drones to survive in a future paradisical enclave isn't that far off, and just how this paradise will look is a valid question, or whether humanity will be able to bury its belligerent instincts.

You can criticise that EP spent too little time on developing the story, and too much on allegorical episodes, but even so, those eps were well done, IMHO, with just minor flaws. The ambition to actually do those eps, and deliver them to a wide public, is to be commended. YES, it is possible to present all the issues touched just within the context of a story. That would be the classical approach of English prose. But it is by far not the only way.
You're taking my statement much too seriously here. I know what Ergo Proxy tried to do. Hell, I liked the crazy psyche-exploration episodes. The problem with Ergo Proxy and its high sci-fi themes is that the "core" episodes were somewhat disjointed, and suffered from extremely erratic pacing as well as an abundance of generic animé psychobabble. These are all valid criticisms, I think, but that does not stop Ergo Proxy from being one of the best and most intelligent series aired in recent years. It was the first show in about a year that I actually watched to completion, and the only one since.
"I love a buz" - LordMune, 2012
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Heh, I was expecting a spirited bashing of my arguments when I saw you had posted after me. Guess I was in the mood for a fight :).

I'll grant you your criticism, EP was far from perfect. But then, ambitious projects very often aren't.
Brainpiercing
God_Hand_Hater07
imanewbie

Post by God_Hand_Hater07 »

Im always cycling through BERSERK but other than that ive been watching a bunch of things

Slayers: Try
Naruto:shippuden
One Piece
Outlaw Star (a classic in my book)
YuYu Hakisho
Claymore
_________
Just finished watching;
I My Me Strawberry Eggs
Full Metal ALchemist
Slayers
Slayers:Next
Mahou Sensei Negima
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

The usual suspects::

One Piece
Gurren_Lagann
Naruto : Shippuuden
Bleach
Kenichi
D.Gray-Man
Death Note
DARKER than BLACK
Mina !
Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpuchou
School Rumble ~ Ni Gakki
Konjiki no Gash Bell
WitchBlade

Just started recently: Kenichi, Claymore, Ikkitousen ~ Dragon_Destiny, Kaibutsu_Oujo_AKA Princess Resurrection.

Grzi
imanewbie

Post by Grzi »

tengen toppa gurren lagann..
and i must say, i was wrong when i said claymore is the best anime of the season..
gurren lagann is the best, i can't believe how awesome it is... excellent, a classic in the making.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Im also watching Tengen Toppa, and well Claymore is way better.
In Tengen Toppa the mechs are so god damn ugly, cant stand it to be honest so I still havent seen the episodes after 10 yet :P
In Claymore I dont have anything bothering me, and the story seems more complex then in Tengen Toppen

BerserkerWench
imanewbie

Post by BerserkerWench »

I just bought the volumes 2 through 5 (already have volume 1) of Saiyuki Reload Gunlock, so I've been watching that. I love the humor.

I'm also watching.

Naruto Shippuuden
Blood +
Bleach
TrueRush
imanewbie

Post by TrueRush »

only one i enjoy atm is umisho.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, I'm still watching the weekly Shonens, at least until they conclude. You know the likes, One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, etc.

Otherwise, I'm trying to finish up the Monster anime, I'm on episode 60 something.

I'm also watching Kenran Butoh Sai - The Mars Daybreak. I'm a little over halfway through with it.
Muddtoad
imanewbie

Post by Muddtoad »

I just finished watching Basilisk. It was a very good anime. If you like Berserk, then you most likely would like Basilisk. It's a ninja/hack and slash/romance drama anime. Don't let the romance drama turn you aside, it makes up for it with all the killing and bloodlust. Even so, the drama is done very well. I reccomend everyone try it out.

Some of my all-time favorites:
Dragonball Z
Dragonball
Dragonball GT (even though it defiles DBZ, it is still good in it's own right)
Blue Gender
Tenchi Muyo/ Universe/ Tenchi in Tokyo / GXP/ OVA 2
Outlaw Star
Wolf's Rain
Basilisk
Bastard!
Death Note
Yu Yu Hakusho
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX (same as GT, good in it's own right)
Hellsing / OVA
Berserk (of course, but Manga is MUCH better)
...probably more I can't remember. The point is to watch as much Anime as you can.
Brainpiercing
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Brainpiercing »

Muddtoad wrote:I just finished watching Basilisk. It was a very good anime. If you like Berserk, then you most likely would like Basilisk. It's a ninja/hack and slash/romance drama anime. Don't let the romance drama turn you aside, it makes up for it with all the killing and bloodlust. Even so, the drama is done very well. I reccomend everyone try it out.
Basilisk is one of the most atmospheric dramatic animes ever, the hack and slash is definitely not the priority. It's an important part, but the story is the focus.
Brainpiercing
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I plan on checking that out soon as well. I've been trying to finish up some things I had left previously unfinished, here lately. For example I finally finished watching Fushigi Yugi, which I started years ago. Good stuff there, I enjoyed it. I just recently finished watching Monster, and have decided to now try to watch the rest of Saint Seiya, but the torrent is slow going, heh. Also, for newer stuff, I finished The Mars Daybreak, and have also started watching Sousei no Aquarion.
Damien
Dirty Sennin

Post by Damien »

Lets see here:

Kenichi
Gurren Laggan
One piece
Bleach: stopped again because of the recent lame fillers.
Naruto
Princess murder ova
Princess ressurection
Mina
Kerero Gunso: Stalled on this.
Darker Than Black
Shigurui
Devil May Cry
ClayMore
Kekkaishi
Slayers Next: Stalled on this.
D.Gray-Man
School Rumble Ni Gakki
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Himawari
Mahoromatic: Stalled on this.
Hanaukyo_Maid_Tai: Stalled on this.
Tokyo Majin Gakuen

This is a more correct and current list for me, its way too much, no wonder I stall on so many series.