Newbie Berserk Discussion Thread

Evil_Genius' Berserk community, Kentaro Miura's epic masterpiece, still active and translated. (Please don't ask about older Volumes. Buy from DarkHorse and support Miura.)

Moderator: EG Members

Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

I'm pretty sure that wickedness is a word. As to that scene, I'm not sure it actually made them think him any more evil (since the men appeared to be guards, and were certainly adults, not children) but it definately made him seem much more dangerous to them.
terridol
imanewbie

Post by terridol »

Hello all, I am new to these forums so let the flames comsume me lol...
I couldn't start a new tread so i thought that I would post this here...

I have just gone back and finished the Berserk anime and have begun re-reading the mangas to get a refresher on the story (one of the best IMO).
Something is still disturbing me though, the origins of our favorite dark hero Guts. I understand that he was rasied as a merc and that gambino, his adoptive father was a bastard most of the time but that's not what is troubling me. What is getting me is that Guts was born from a corpse. This leaves many questions unanswered....

1. What people did guts decend from?
2. Who was his mother and Father?
3. Did his birth happen not by mere chance but by fate?
4. After the encounter with the bat winged lady one of the five God hand (sorry forgot her name), she implies many things that guts was meant for something more than just a sacrifice.

These questions continue to go unanswered but one thing does shout out in my mind.

I am a reader of fiction and lore and the mannerisms and charateristics of the charater guts tends to remind me of the old Spartans of Greece. Could just be a coincidence or not I do not know.

If any of these claims have been made or if i am rehashing old discussions please remove and disregard.
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

To answer your questions:

1) Unknown. I can tell you what people Anna Nicole Smith's baby came from.
2) Unknown. I can tell you who the father of Anna Nicole Smith's baby is.
3) It has been speculated that his fate was to die, but he survived. Again this is speculation. Since SK suggested he resides outside of fate, it would seem that he survived while his fate was to die.
4) I don't remember Slann saying anything about being more than a sacrifice. I remember her taunting him about using the behelit. Those were nothing but taunts though, as it has been said previously that sacrifices can't be sacrificed again or use the behelit.

As for the relation of Guts to other characters, it could be possible.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Istvan
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Istvan »

Presumably Guts was supposed to survive his birth, so he could go on to help Griffith and then later become the one individual capable of bringing about the fall of Griffith's dream. Then the time he was supposed to die was in the Eclipse with the rest of the Hawks, and his surviving put him outside of Fate. As for anything about his ancestors, I doubt we'll ever know anything beyond that he was born from a dead body.
Avulsion
imanewbie

Post by Avulsion »

In which chapter does the hypothetical grown up child of Guts and Caska appears? You know, the beach thing.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Alpha Nosferatu wrote:In which chapter does the hypothetical grown up child of Guts and Caska appears? You know, the beach thing.
I'm not sure of the actual chapter, but I do know it's near the beginning of vol. 28. Hope that helps.
Avulsion
imanewbie

Post by Avulsion »

Sure does. Thanks.
DarkenRahlX
Crusher of Dreams

Post by DarkenRahlX »

It would be awesome if Slann has feelings for Guts. That would make for an awesome story.
Xarfai
imanewbie

Post by Xarfai »

Hi there,

I´m new in this forum, but a berserk fan for half a year or so, seen the anime and read all the manga stuff up to the current chapter.

I have one question, and I really want to know what the berserk-community thinks about it (and because I don´t know if this has been discussed, I´m posting in the newbie-thread):

After watching the anime, I was moved by the intense of the story I´ve not been since reading Lord of the Rings, perhaps even more. Of course, I got more and more into it while reading the manga.... up to the beginning of berserk 18.

Damn it, with the appearence of Ishidoro, everything (or mostly everything) got srewed up. Not particually because of Ishidoro, but the whole story was heading in directions I could not quite follow. The Kushan, the Egg of the perfekt world, the neo-band-of-the-hawk, I really don´t like anything of it. Just monsters everywhere. On the other hand, the skull night, guts journey with caska in berserk 23 and of course the berserk-armor and schierkes role, this all is as great as before. With Guts getting better and better, the rest off the story really is getting stranger and stranger.

Just wanted to know, what is the generell opinion about this? Thanks to replies, and please don´t think bad of me ;-). I really love berserk. Really. :-)
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I would probably expect it to :? I think most people agree and would have prefered it to stay more like the first arc
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

That is debatable :)
I love the Golden Age arc, of course, but I find the 'Lost Children arc (the one with the Moth apostle)' awesome. I love the freaking 'inquisition' arc (the one with Mogus (sp?), and the chapter when Gatts got the Berserker Armor.
Xarfai
imanewbie

Post by Xarfai »

I agree with you. The best fights are in The Lost Children, and Guts´ Monster comes in there, I also liked Farnese in her early apperance (that crazy bitch :-) ). The inquisition also is not bad, just a bit overdone, I think, but ok. Really bad are just, as I posted, the Egg of the perfect world, the fact that the Kushan and the new hawks are mostly all monsters, the second eclipse and things like that. The Berserk-Armour really is great, in fact, it is the point of berserk: Transforming into a monster, giving yourself up, to beat other monsters.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

meant first arcs before magic and berserk armor were in the equation
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Xarfai wrote:I agree with you. The best fights are in The Lost Children, and Guts´ Monster comes in there, I also liked Farnese in her early apperance (that crazy bitch :-) ). The inquisition also is not bad, just a bit overdone, I think, but ok. Really bad are just, as I posted, the Egg of the perfect world, the fact that the Kushan and the new hawks are mostly all monsters, the second eclipse and things like that.

I didn't think those four or five volumes were all bad. In fact, I thought they were quite entertaining, and more importantly, very significant to the storyline. Also, Guts' meeting with Griffith on the Hill of Swords and the subsequent battle with Zodd is without a doubt my favorite moment in the manga (post-eclipse).
Xarfai wrote:The Berserk-Armour really is great, in fact, it is the point of berserk: Transforming into a monster, giving yourself up, to beat other monsters.

I have to disagree. In the broadest sense, Berserk, for me, is about the struggle of life, how people face the problems presented to them, and the way they cope with any sacrifices they may have to make. Somebody else might see it differently, which is why we have threads like, "What has Berserk done to shape the way you perceive reality?". Whatever their views, I'd like to think that Berserk has a little more depth to it than just "beating monsters".
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

I understand what you mean about the Berserk-armor, but don't you agree that is a bit improbable (let's not say impossible) for a human, even one pushing all his limits, to fight countless hordes of monsters? I mean, yeah he can cut through a a lot, but he has a limit. The Berserk-armor expands this limits, and his 'fusion' with Schierke expanded a little more.

Gatts is not fighting a few Apostles now. He'll fight Zodd-like guys, like the Dragon-one (forgot his name - probably will remember as soon as I hit submit), Locus, and etc. His sword already can hurt those bastards, but ... how he can have a chance against the God-Hand?
Xarfai
imanewbie

Post by Xarfai »

EnglishJim wrote:
Xarfai wrote:The Berserk-Armour really is great, in fact, it is the point of berserk: Transforming into a monster, giving yourself up, to beat other monsters.

I have to disagree. In the broadest sense, Berserk, for me, is about the struggle of life, how people face the problems presented to them, and the way they cope with any sacrifices they may have to make. Somebody else might see it differently, which is why we have threads like, "What has Berserk done to shape the way you perceive reality?". Whatever their views, I'd like to think that Berserk has a little more depth to it than just "beating monsters".
Again, I have to agree. I think Berserk has more than one message. What I wanted to say was: Guts´ main point in the story is to give himself up to become a monster to beat other monsters, just in the meaning of the storyline, not regarding the message of the story. For example, just with the armor the title of the manga really makes sense. Yes, Guts was not really a nice guy before, but not a berserk. So yes, of course Berserk is not just about beating monsters. It really is the great story about dreams, the struggle of life and faith, that makes Berserk what it is. (Hope, I´m getting this right, my english comes to a limit when expressing a bit more complex thoughts)
Khelegond wrote:Gatts is not fighting a few Apostles now. He'll fight Zodd-like guys, like the Dragon-one (forgot his name - probably will remember as soon as I hit submit), Locus, and etc. His sword already can hurt those bastards, but ... how he can have a chance against the God-Hand?
I think, if you really consider this logical, he has absolutely no chance. In Berserk 3 he stood against Femuth and he was not able to touch him. But, Miura will certainly think of a way. I think, the Sword of Resonance will play a big role in this.
EnglishJim
This is my new home

Post by EnglishJim »

Xarfai wrote:Again, I have to agree. I think Berserk has more than one message. What I wanted to say was: Guts´ main point in the story is to give himself up to become a monster to beat other monsters, just in the meaning of the storyline, not regarding the message of the story. For example, just with the armor the title of the manga really makes sense. Yes, Guts was not really a nice guy before, but not a berserk. So yes, of course Berserk is not just about beating monsters. It really is the great story about dreams, the struggle of life and faith, that makes Berserk what it is. (Hope, I´m getting this right, my english comes to a limit when expressing a bit more complex thoughts)

Well, at least you have good spelling and grammar, which is always a bonus for a newbie. :wink: I'll admit, that sentence or yours bugged me a little. It gave me the impression that you had only read Berserk skin deep. If you had said "it is a running theme" (or something similar) instead of "it is the point of", maybe I would have interpreted you more clearly. Moving swiftly along...
Xarfai wrote:I think, if you really consider this logical, he has absolutely no chance. In Berserk 3 he stood against Femuth and he was not able to touch him. But, Miura will certainly think of a way. I think, the Sword of Resonance will play a big role in this.

"Femuth"? Does that come from the German release? Well anyways, yeah, it's almost certainly going to take a joint effort when it comes to Griffith & the Hawks, which is why the Band of the Black Swordsman continues to grow in number. Azan, the bridge knight, looks to be the latest addition.
MrFelony
E-Thug

Post by MrFelony »

I need to stop reading these forums so all the new releases i dont read don't get spoiled :P. I would probably not like berserk if guts ever got strong enought to actually kill Griffith in Femto form. I think for that to happen he is going to have to become like SK.
Xarfai
imanewbie

Post by Xarfai »

Yes, "Femuth" is in the german release instead of "Femto". Yust recognized the difference as you asked. Strange.
Xarfai
imanewbie

Post by Xarfai »

I wonder, has there ever been a discussion about the personal favorite ending of Berserk in this forum? I would be surprised if there hasn´t been, but using the search option has not resulted in answers.

If there realy has not been, perhaps this could be something to start my first topic. :wink:
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

Xarfai wrote:I wonder, has there ever been a discussion about the personal favorite ending of Berserk in this forum? I would be surprised if there hasn´t been, but using the search option has not resulted in answers.

If there realy has not been, perhaps this could be something to start my first topic. :wink:
Here's a tip, don't start a new topic. On that subject. Just keep it in this thread, or post it in the stupid theories thread.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Xarfai
imanewbie

Post by Xarfai »

I´m interpreting this as „Yes, it has been discussed“ or “A Newbie should not start such a thread, as it is pointless and annoyingâ€
Max
imanewbie

Post by Max »

Hmm, kind of sad imo. I would much rather like it if guts and griffith fight for a while, both get hacked up really bad, guts has through the story become stronger than griffith, again.... He can barely hold up the dragonslayer and stands before griffith, who comes with a typically epic reply or something, guts just laughs and starts to torture him (as with the apostle in the first episode of the anime). when realising that its not fun anymore, that it is enough or anything like that, he stabbes griffith in the gut, letting him bleed to death slowly. griffith says something again, but guts just tells him that he deserves it for sacrificing the old hawks. than he walks away. end of story
Khelegond
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Khelegond »

I think the story will end in a simpler way. Of course we'll have a large battle, and etc. But in the end, Gatts might "kill" Griffith, and the planes will be separated forever. That way, Femto will rule, still alive, but trapped in another plane.

That's one of the possibilities where Gatts can kill Griffith, but can't kill Femto (I really can't see him killing Femto)
God_Hand_Hater07
imanewbie

Re:

Post by God_Hand_Hater07 »

EnglishJim wrote: Azan, the bridge knight, looks to be the latest addition.
This has me thinking while the Gattsu's group is expanding if Azan joined them theyed me very melee oriented, the neo band of the hawk has that one crazy archer guy(cant think of his name) and while almost everyone in Gattsu's group has some sort of ranged attack you would think they would need and archer of some sort to be able to counter balance the neo band of the hawks long range advantage.