Currently Reading

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Re: Currently Reading

Post by fujinsan »

I'm reading samurai deeper kyo, it's about a japanese rounen known as the thousand man slayer, with demon eyes. It's really cool so far, it's got some of that ki and energy attacks shit in it, but in a life like form. It's definitely a good read.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

Hey, ive been reading this forum for 5 years or so, but had problems registrating, but now im here.

i currently read:

berserk
zetman
The Ravages of Time
vinland saga
vagabond
samurai deeper kyo
eden
the blade of the immortal
tenjo tenge
hellsing
hunter x hunter
gantz
historie
air gear
naruto
one piece
bleach
fairy tale
hajimo no ippo
beelzebub
wolf guy
Historys Strongest Disciple Kenichi
claymore
skip beat

and if i was to say a top 5 of those id say:

berserk
The Ravages of Time
one piece
gantz
samurai deeper kyo

with zetman, vinland saga and vagbond close behind
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

Welcome to the EG forums TheParagon. Is the manga for Samurai Deeper Kyo much different to the anime? Because I watched that and it was pretty lame towards the end.

Um, on topic I guess I'm just reading Zetman, Berserk... Claymore and Gantz :oops:
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

actually I've never seen the anime, but you know how most anime's do, make up a bs ending that has nothing to do with the story because they've run out of funds. I suggest read the manga it may be different. I haven't read the end yet but I'm about to here in a minute. So I'll tell you how it goes when I'm done.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

That's a pretty good list Paragon. Yeah, I've seen the anime for Samurai Deeper Kyo, and it was alright at best, IMO. I flipped through the manga at a book store one day and it looked pretty different, but I didn't actually read any of it. Maybe I'll give it a try sometime, and hopefully it'll be better than the anime. Oh, and yeah, the end of SDK was pretty weird.
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

i thought i replied but apparantly sth went wrong.

anyhow. thx for the welcomming :)

samurai deeper kyo is better in manga than anime. the anime is like the first FMA, in the way that it is simillar in the beginning but then gradually changes and has completely different ending

bleach is really bad but ive stuck in so long i might as well see it to the end, which i hope nears

naruto and fairy tale are so so but i read them to pass time

an underdog "the ravages of time" which is a chinese manga, and like vagabond its based on an old novell. its also extremely well drawn, on par with vagabond or berserk. it can be a lot of names though to remember and and takes some time to get into due to that fact but its well worth it
isse-pisse-päron-pung
Beware my tactical spam

Post by isse-pisse-päron-pung »

Started reading Y+M which is pretty easygoing and entertaining (same dude that did basilisk and in the same universe)

and Wolf Guy which is not bad either.
~\\¨~¨ ;;-_x
Grahf
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Grahf »

Just read all of Zetman in a 23 hour span. God bless Air conditioning and being off from work!
"Context is for Kings"
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Just started reading Fairy Tail. It's boring. Really, really boring. Is it gonna get good at some point?
No, wait, don't answer that. I really don't care. Not anymore. I'll just stop reading it.
God, I'm so bored. Manga-wise, I mean.
Can anyone tell me about any good mangas? Anything, really. Please...
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Started reading Noblesse on mangafox recently. It's a Korean webcomic so every page is full color :D
Art is good, story is pretty good. You should check it out if you're looking for something to read.

Also check out Soul Eater if you haven't yet. I like it for the madness concept.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Noblesse? Mmmm...I guess I'll check it out.

EDIT: Ok, so it's looking like some kind of blue bishonen ghetto. At least that's the impression I'm getting from the first chapters. Gonna keep reading, just in case, but I'm not expecting much. Pretty vampires are not my thing.
Oh, and by the way, THANK YOU! With this I'll be able to stave off the ennui for at least a couple of days.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Oh, the artwork is bisho from start to finish, but the story is actually not. I know, I was surprised too.

I'd also recommend ID if you haven't tried it (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/id/). The artwork gets better the farther you get into it. The story is kinda like chinese martial arts meets western fantasy. Not sure if you'll like it or not, but if you're looking for ways to pass the time...
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

mmmm....I don't know. It looks really gay. Even the synopsis sounds like suck. Meh, why the hell not.
And I agree, if you look past the bishounen aspect of "Noblesse" it is at least a decent read. I stopped reading it, though. There was one part I just couldn't stomach. Rewriting people's memories and be thanked for it is not cool. It pissed me off way beyond the limit, I just couldn't stand it.

And hey, Veritas is over. I loved the protagonist of that one.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

God I miss Veritas already T_T

Well, I honestly, can't think of any manga I'd call good that's out right now. Not off the top of my head at least. Those were just some decent reads I started a little bit ago.

Oh yea, have you tried Shin Angyo Onshi? It's got a healthy dose of grit and it's already finished, but it can be annoyingly abstract in places.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Yeah, I read that one. It's awesome, definitely among my top ten manga/manwha.
While the manwha as a whole is extraordinarily good, the best chapter is the first one, which is weird because it doesn't have much importance to the story as a whole. I just loved how it made fun of the classic "what a twist!" style of writing.

Have you read "Island" by the same artist? Really good stuff.

P.S. Started reading "Defense Devil" exclusively for the horrible sex jokes, but got tired quickly. What a crappy manga.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Just started on Island. Had no idea he had another series out, thanks for the heads up :D

Defense devil....very cliched. I dropped after a couple chapters too. Sad part is it's just about the average quality you get with manga now. And it's published right? Which means people buy it? Really? I just don't understand how the vast majority of titles make money. They're pretty much all subpar and nothing I would even consider spending money on.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Ah, the problem is that you still have faith in humanity. I think hbi2k disproved the empirical basis of that belief a while ago.
I think I have that link somewhere aroun- Ah, here it is.

It's at the end of the episode.

I'm currently reading Burning Hell, a 4-shot by the same author. Looking good so far.

EDIT: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I just finished reading it and it's freaking hilarious!
[spoiler]The united powers of south-asia against the bloated evil occidental foe. I know it probably wasn't intentional on part of the author, but that's propaganda if I've ever seen it. Pretty amusing, but not what I'd call "good" with a shiny star sticker and the blood of a thousand virgins. Decent, is the word I'm looking for, may be.[/spoiler]
~Diogenes of Sinope
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

mmmmmmm...Berserk Abridged....

I agree totally on Burning Hell.

Have you tried Psyren? It's one of the few ongoing manga that I can actually say I like.
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Just started reading Psyren. It's...mmmm...Bleachy.
Very, very Bleachy.
And I don't mean shonen, no, this seems to follow a much more specific plot-pattern.

Have you read Homunculus? Very weird, mostly psychological and completely lacking in action. It rocks, if you're into that.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Mmmmm.....
Yea, I can see the Bleach in Psyren. Though I would call it better in every way (not saying much these days).

Never heard of Homunculus, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip :)
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Boredom Master Criollo.
Totally blew my mind.

EDIT: Of course it doesn't exist, what did you expect? I was bored!
~Diogenes of Sinope
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Read like, what, 4 mangas in the last few days?
All of them fairly decent, none of them truly good.
I feel like shit. LOL.
LOL.
What a stupid acronym.
Anyway,
1- Mx0 : tried to reinvent shonen through the introduction of a competent protagonist, a lovable cast and an interesting setting. Got cancelled. You don't reinvent things in Japan, not unless there are societal pressures to do so. Suck on that, creativity (you filthy, filthy slut).
2- The world only god knows: it made me laugh, and the personality of the main character is unique, within a very stereotypical mold. Emotional manipulation and the cold, detached use of people as pawns are good things, as long as there are no consequences for the victims. I think that's the message this manga I trying to convey. Funny, if unconsciously sociopathic.
3- Zippy Ziggy: Why is it that disgusting, utterly rotten human beings amuse us so? I'm guessing it's some form of projection (that's the correct term, right? projection?). Well, the protagonist of this manwha made me laugh in ways I didn't think were possible, and now I know aren't. I need medical assistance, ASAP.

Only 3? Really? I was pretty sure there were 4. Meh, who cares.
Lol.
~Diogenes of Sinope
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

the new mangas ive started on and that ive read till the latest chapter are Tower of God (manwha) and Liar game. they are actually a bit simillar in the way that there are many people competing in a contest for some grand price and those who doesnt make it to the end will not have a good future. both are very good. but where ToG is more action and fantasy based Liar game only is about outsmart your opponents

i recommend both

i read homonuculus some years ago but i kinda forgot about it when there werent any new scans for some years, but it seems like there are now so ill continue where i left off
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

You do?
I thought Liars game was just stupid.
It's presented under an elaborate guise of intelligence, of course, but it is, in itself, remarkably idiotic. The hamfisted reveals, the needlessly convoluted plans, the overly dramatic psychological games...
It's kind of (mentally) poor's man Death Note.
Anyway, I hate it.
And yet, somehow, I feel like we are the same. Weird, huh?
We are all faking intelligence, coming up with brilliant schemes to convince everyone else we are soooo mush schmarter than dey arsh...
Man, I'm feeling extraordinarily bitchy tonight. Those bovine fertility hormones are making me craaaaaaaaazoooeeeeiiiyyy

Been reading Akumetsu lately. I'm kind of impressed. For starters, its the first manga I've ever read that actually contains social criticism. And I don't mean vague shit like "corruption and racism are bad", but real-life criticism towards Japan's laughable attempts at privatization and the dismantlement of the pre-war zaibatsi (I know it's not Latin and the plural shouldn't end with "i" just because the singular ends with "us", but I can't help it! I've been conditioned by years of salivation and bells), the gerontocracy that passes itself as democracy and countless other real problems that affect Japan. The main plot-point so far has been fiscal policy.
IT IS AWESOME!
The fact that the main character is a masked hero who (explicitly) affirms that he's going reform Japan's outdated political and economical institutions through violence certainly helps.
And boy, he does a lot of that. Violence, I mean.
Sweet, sweet violence.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Just finished re-reading "Watchmen". Again.
I finally get what Alan Moore meant when he said that the movie adaptation was crap because he had written Watchmen specifically to show what only comics can do as a medium.
I had always thought he just just being difficult, but it's true.
It's this thing he does with the panels and the dialogue.
He sets up a line, and then gives it pictorial expression in the next panel, which portrays something only vaguely related to the conversation, but important to the story overall. This makes the reader feels smart when he/she notices the metaphoric/literal duality of the dialogue, and gives the story a feeling of depth that it doesn't necessarily have.
It's simple, ingenious and could only be done with the frame-to-frame format of comics.
Brilliant, but doable.
It's funny how easy it is to notice the patterns and techniques used in this comic once the awe of the first reading is gone.
I wonder if I could do something like this in a purely written medium. It'd fuck up the continuity, but...
~Diogenes of Sinope