::Vinland Saga::

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Re: ::Vinland Saga::

Post by Rolos »

Dammit, I'm curious! What is it that you found so bad, so disgustingly awful about it that you couldn't even finish the chapter?
I haven't read it, but if you keep spitting on it, I'll have to. It's the law.
And no one is above the law.
No one.
Not even the people who made those little tiles on 16th century dutch houses around the French Riviera.

On Vinland Saga: Anyone else enjoying how thoroughly pure slavery is in this manga? No racism, no xenophobia, just good ol' traditional slavery. I love it! I remember reading a short story about a society in which slavery was legal, and determined by a lottery-system, so it was just chance that made you an object. It was frigging awesome. Amoral, yes, but awesome.
The problem was, in a society of unregulated capitalism, employees could be paid less than they need to subsist, because there was a glut (excessive supply) of labor, so slave-owners couldn't compete (they had to keep their slaves alive), and ended up disappearing.

Also, I really liked the "being a loved/liked slave is the worst thing that could happen to you" part.

P.S. Anyone find any good mangas lately?

EDIT: Ugh, that felt so forced. No Monty Python for me for a week.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

Rolos wrote: On Vinland Saga: Anyone else enjoying how thoroughly pure slavery is in this manga? No racism, no xenophobia, just good ol' traditional slavery. I love it! I remember reading a short story about a society in which slavery was legal, and determined by a lottery-system, so it was just chance that made you an object. It was frigging awesome. Amoral, yes, but awesome.
I thought the amorality was the best part :D
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

So i have reread vinland saga over the last few days and realized a few things

1.) After seeing the direction they are taking overall with the story, I found that I enjoyed the rest of it that much more.
2.) Holy shit I just realized the entire part before being a slave was the prologue.
3.) I remembered all the manga being bloody and violent, but upon rereading i realize the theme of "what is a true warrior" was always there.
4.) I really don't look much into a story on my first read through of it.
dialdfordesi
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by dialdfordesi »

This arc has really picked up some steam and turned into something amazing. Even though it started off slow, I can see how significant setting the new scene was now.

Holy shit, Papasith, you're totally right with that revalation that the parts with Askeladd and Canute being the prequel. I hadn't even realized that!
Trust me, I'm a doctor!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I have faith in Vinland saga. Even with the lull in action, the story has still been really good lately. Still, I can't help but wonder how things are gonna go with this vow of pacifism that Thorfinn has made. Heh, we shall see.
papasith

Post by papasith »

well from what i cant tell the big theme in it will i "what it means to be a true warrior".
from what i can tell that is have something to fight for

with thors it was his family
according to Thorkell canute had "the same look in his eye as thors" so if we take this to mean he is a "true warrior" then he has his country or ideals to fight for.

so with this line of logic i wonder what Thorfinn will find worthy of fighting for
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I'm cool with it as long as it's neither peace nor love.
Order or harmony are acceptable motivations, as far as I'm concerned, and friendship is always a good source of reinforcement, but the moment someone says "I'll do it for love" I'll stop reading this manga.
Speaking of which, I loved the distinction between "Love" and "Prejudice" that crazy monk taught Canute.
Really inspiring.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

After the whole getting push in to slavery part I am not sure about the direction on this series, hope it turns it self around and becomes awesome again :twisted:
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
papasith

Post by papasith »

So just read the latest chapter, not sure if it is considered a spoiler but just in case
[spoiler]Anyone know if we already know who this escaped slave is already? he looks really familiar, almost like Thorfinn. I wonder if it is possible they are related in someway.[/spoiler]
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

first i got my hopes up that it was thorfinn and that they would later on explain why that happened. but it still seems like a step in the right direction. i hope they team up with him instead of defeating him (otherwise he is a bit too much ok with slavery for my taste)
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

Uhm, I think the whole point of this arc is to show that slavery, while doubtlessly a morally dubious act, was not always as cartoonishly monstruous as what they did in the U.S. or the Caribbean plantations.
I liked the fact that they bought their own freedom, I think it's refreshingly different from the 'flee your evil slaver masters' stuff we always get.
Which they'll probably end up doing anyway.
I mean, did you read what their master said?
"Don't worry, guys, I'll free you the moment I get back from this trip!".

On the other hand, I can't help but agreeing with you in wishing that they all die, all of them.
Seeing the farm being completely obliterated would provide a nice contrast between the peacefulness of farming and the madness of warring, and it'd show the other side of war much more potently than any highwinded speech or epiphany-riddled dream the author could think of.

P.S. I have a confession to make: I have no idea what the word 'dubious' means.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Mail
Mastered PM

Post by Mail »

New chapter out. Old characters make an appearance. Looks like the story's about to start moving forward again.
papasith

Post by papasith »

Oh crap, here it comes.
morkar
imanewbie

Post by morkar »

This will be a very intresting developement! Looking foward to it! I'm pretty sure that Thorfinn gonna beat is ass up!!
By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. -Socrates
papasith

Post by papasith »

Im curious how this obvious event of force conflict with effect is vow of non violence. I am fairly certain he is heading on the path to be a "true warrior" such as his father, but as of right now his view is that violence is bad. I wonder, will someone have to die for him to feel the need to fight, will he just fight because it needs to be done (the lament that he still has that violent side to him) or something else that will come as a surprise?

I
revealer
imanewbie

Post by revealer »

Really? No posts here for a year? The forums indeed are daed. Some pretty cool shit going down in the manga btw.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I'm a big fan of this series, but haven't read it in some time. I need to catch up. Thanks for the reminder.
newbified
n00b Smasher

Post by newbified »

Read it regularly. It's stayed constant and exciting and has regular updates. I almost wish it was a biweekly though.

I'm really looking forward to the next chapter.
Steeples scrape the sky, Praising God.
Everything here exists for God, is sacrificed to God.
For those who have nothing to sacrifice,
It can be a very heartless city indeed.