::Hajime no ippo::

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Alright I guess we can play that game.

I've been rereading it, and Vorg kicks ass after all, including his finisher. I would go with him. Hell I didn't remember he was so close to the japanese title, he shoudl have won it. On top of it he downed Ippo for the count (in spar, OK) and following that climbing in the american ladder.

White Fangs, all the way. And he even looks good.

Weight category...Have no idea what they are, and my weight vary a lot, so boxing's not for me anyway.
square-enix
imanewbie

Post by square-enix »

753 is out
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Miyata is coming in as the challenger. It has been a while. It's gonna be hawt.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

I liked 753 alot showed more about who Miyata is and why Randy is so important to him.

I always love the build up before fights. The story is at its best then.
square-enix
imanewbie

Post by square-enix »

754 and 755 out.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

755 eh? I'm on it.
Libaax
Of The Abyss

Post by Libaax »

Haha 755 was GREAT cause the comedy was back.

Now i want Taka being a pervert again :D
Albator
Hikikomori

Re: ::Hajime no ippo::

Post by Albator »

I'm going to be crazy and actually give you sorry lurkers a link...
http://www.ignition-one.org/
...in order for you to get chapter 799 and forget about all the shitty mangas out there. For anyone that doesn't know squat about this manga, you get to read all the chapters up to this one. How could you not be excited by that? DO IT.

Ippo is snapping. Yes, he is. Even against Sawamura he wasn't like this. Doing something that is totally out of character, we are about to see a replay of the Hawk fight, with Ippo starring as Takamura. Of course I can see this spar being stopped before it reach the end, or before it even starts (Evil Morikawa FYW). Which would be a freaking let down but it also would bring major story development.

I can not imagine Ippo doing anything but utterly destroying that raccoon. Otherwise all that built up about him would have been all for smoke. He must at least get a clear upper hand. At this point in the manga, Ippo is clear world material and must show it, especially considering the sorry display he put up during his last fights (and always fighting on home turf, by the way). So many twists can happen at this point, it's maddening. And closing up to chapter 800! Some mangakas out there should learn.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, we'll see. I think it could go either way. Randy Boy Jr. is the real deal, and Ippo has a horrible track record for spars. It should be pretty close actually.
elric le tueur d'amis
Mastered PM

Post by elric le tueur d'amis »

Randy's camp should refuse the spar because fighting Ippo won't help them at all for the Miyata match (different styles and risk of getting hurt), the idea of this 1 round spar is pretty stupid.
I'm rooting for Racoon boy in this case and for the latter fights, he is a great boxer with a good backround ; the fact that he kicked Itagaki's ass makes him even more likeable for me :twisted: .
That guy won''t give up!!
Kill him!!
Albator
Hikikomori

Post by Albator »

Enough with the Itagaki hate, he just had his butt kicked and put back in his place. Evil racoon boy!

I think that this 1R is stupid too. No way this would happend, not so close to such an important match for RBJ and knowing Ippo's destructive power. That slime Sakaguchi wanted Ippo's power to go to the world so he knows what Ippo can do (because Racoon doesn't seem to know) and should oppose the spar. But it is probable that Randy will want it no matter what, especially since he refused using protection. I like to see aspects of the boxing world that have been mostly left aside when Ippo was on stage: anger, defiance and brawling.

That's Morikawa's awesome storytelling, coupled with a particularly good drawing in this chapter: he makes you buy something that would be fanboyish in any other mangas, and manage to make sense out of it. We have seen many spars in the past that didn't necessarily make sense, but were supported by the characters of the protagonists (like the Ippo-Mashiba spar).
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Well, the Ippo vs. Mashiba spar made sense, because Mashiba has really long arms, and Gedo used the arm extending technique. This one doesn't make as much sense, but it's still cool, basically fan service. Also, I agree, stop hating on Manabu. He's badass, and I wouldn't mind seeing Ippo knock out all of RBJr's teeth.
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

I say if Ippo ever gets laid he will level up 50 lvl in one shot and beat every other boxer in his way to be the world champ. So nothing else matters, Ippo could lose an arm, it wouldnt matter it's all about the sex.
Loeviz
Crusher of Dreams

Post by Loeviz »

Randy Boy Jr seems really strong, I dont think Miyata is going to win against him since theyve said that his own father was much stronger then he is and still got his ass handed to him by RBJs father in the ring.
However Ippo can revenge him :D

\"No Sane man will dance.\"
-- Marcus Tullius Cicero (106-43 BC)
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

This is like Miyata's dream, to beat this guy. I'll be pissed if he loses to ratcoon boy.
Jian Wen Yi
imanewbie

Post by Jian Wen Yi »

I think the Miyata RBJ fight is going to be a draw.

We've already had a hint that Ippo and Randy boy Jr are going to fight and how their styles match up. A draw with Miyata leaves that open and doesn't destroy Miyata's reputation, I think in his fight with RBJ he'll just start getting used to his 'new' or 'true style', by the last few rounds of this fight we'll start to see this develop.

I have heard some suggestions that with the latest release and Mori's focus on Sendo, we may be about to see his demise either as a fighter or altogether, at he hands of Martinez. I really hope this isn't the case! Especially as Ippo and Sendo haven't had their foreshadowed 3rd match.
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

I can't see their fight ending in any other way then a decisive KO, both of them tend to knock out their opponents. Neither of them would be satisfied if the match ended up being decided by points. And with what we have so far, the odds are stacked against Miyata unless Sendo manages to beat some new boxing sense into him.

My take on the conclusion of the match and the outcome will be Miyata executing a flawless final counter against RBJ, but unable to follow through because of extensive damage built up leading up to it. RBJ realizes that if Miyata had been under more optimal conditions the counter would've connected, and he would've lost. RBJ completes their 'destiny' by slugging Miyata's chin with enough force to shatter his jaw; destroying him and his boxing career like RBJ's father before him. Miyata will have died on his way to a hospital. His father is happy for his son because he proved that his boxing style was viable, but saddened because it cost his son's life to do it.

Ippo's spirit becomes stronger as his fists bear the burden of avenging Miyata, as well as the aspirations of all the fighters he's defeated to progress this far. His determination injures Kamogawa, preventing him from being his second for the upcoming match. Miyata's father finds his determination when he learns of the plight of the Kamogawa gym, and agrees to second Ippo for the upcoming match. With Coach Kamogawa's spirit spurring Ippo on, and Miyata-san's personal and ringside experience of RBJ's style; Ippo overwhelms RBJ in every category, and becomes a contender for the world.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this...

Edit: Everyone refers to Ichiro Miyata as simply "Miyata." Am I wrong to assume that Miyata should be his last name?
"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
Jian Wen Yi
imanewbie

Post by Jian Wen Yi »

Artezul wrote:RBJ completes their 'destiny' by slugging Miyata's chin with enough force to shatter his jaw; destroying him and his boxing career like RBJ's father before him. Miyata will have died on his way to a hospital. His father is happy for his son because he proved that his boxing style was viable, but saddened because it cost his son's life to do it.

Edit: Everyone refers to Ichiro Miyata as simply "Miyata." Am I wrong to assume that Miyata should be his last name?
No, You are right, Miyata is his surname.

I don't think Mori'kawa's prone to killing off characters, he had a chance with Sawamura but didn't go through with it. Career ending I could see but I think Miyata will go on fighting, I can see him going up a division no matter this fights outcome.

I think Ippo and Miyata will never have their desired fight but both will be champions in their respective divisions. The manga ends with the two of them in the gym alone chatting, eventually lacing up their gloves, with the final page showing them in the ring rushing towards each other, ending in a corny fashion with a spar the way they started, the result of which is forever unknown to the reader!
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

Yeah, I never expected Sawamura to make another appearance in the manga, and Miyata dying is a little extreme; I just felt that it would add a deeper sense of finality between Ippo and Miyata. Miyata being done in like his father would leave a good bitter aftertaste, and Ippo would likely mature from the experience of watching his greatest rival lose everything that mattered to him.

For the time being, I can't imagine how this manga could end in an acceptable manner. I like endings tied off in a knot, with little left for the imagination to wonder. But Ippo becoming world champion wouldn't cut it as "the end" for me. Maybe if winning the title match meant ending his boxing career.

All in all, if he ever does become the world champion he'd better have the balls to tell Kumi how he feels, and then proceed to beat the snot out of Mashiba.

Edit: Anyone know the first name of Ichiro Miyata's father/coach? I can only think of him as "Miyata-san."
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I don't think they've ever said Miyata Sr. first name, lol. Also, I think Miyata will beat RBJ. I imagine he'll one day go on to defeat Martinez. Then the final fight of the manga would be Ippo vs. Miyata for the world title, in which Ippo wins. I could be wrong, but that's my prediction.
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

Everyone's always wished that Ippo and Miyata would be able to compete at a grander stage, so this would definitely be a grand finale. But Miyata still needs something that would put him on even terms with Randy.
Jian Wen Yi
imanewbie

Post by Jian Wen Yi »

Yeah I think Starnum is right, I can't seem to find any reference to Miyata Sr's first name.

The Sendo Miyata spar is about to begin, from the dialogue it appears as if Miyata is about to been beaten soundly by Sendo. To be honest I think the Sendo Mashiba spar will be the better of the two.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Oh, I can't wait to see this, Sendo is my boy. He better keep his head in the game though or Miyata might knock it off. This is going to be a good spar.
Jian Wen Yi
imanewbie

Post by Jian Wen Yi »

The spar has started off well, well at least for Miyata it has. To be honest I was hoping that Sendo would tear him apart from the first bell, but it seems Morikawa wants to pay Miyata some respect.

If Sendo can learn to use that Miyata jab then his chances against Martinez improve massively, but that's something Miyata has been practicing since he was young so i doubt it's that easy to acquire.

Hopefully the next chapter will show Sendo dominating, I'm hoping that he walks through the counter and fires a right cross in return, but we will likely see Miyata in control for a while with Sendo eventually getting the upper hand just before the action is ceased.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Sendo is my favorite character in this series, but I doubt he could actually take Miyata. Still though, I'd like to at least see Sendo get a few good Smashes in before it's over, heh. I don't think there's any way Sendo could take Martinez, but hopefully he'll at least push him a bit. If Sendo gets crippled and has to quit boxing like Sawamura though, I'll be pretty displeased.