::GANTZ::

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Re: ::GANTZ::

Post by papasith »

well we can speculate on all of this

the fact it isn't explained is what i like about it, i dont think it is as simple as test/training people for the invasion so much as somebeings(s) sick twisted entertainment before they destroy the world.

im still trying to figure out where the vampires fit in as well. i dont think they are necissarly part of the enemy but mabe another side that just had a truce with the monsters?

another thought is the gantz system might be "testing" them right now. who knows what if the black balls will step up and do something.

im still curious about that factory FULL of the black balls
Rolos
Tastes like burning!

Post by Rolos »

I think most inconsistencies in the story stem from the obvious "I'm making this shit up as I go" attitude the author has. He'll probably tie all the knots in due time.
As for what's happening right now: does anyone else think the main cast are nothing more than a bunch of selfish morons? Nah, that's not the word.
Imbeciles, retards, idiots. Good intentioned ones.

PS: My theory is that they were actually testing the equipment, nothing more. They took random dead people no one was gonna miss, armed and set them against the (undercover) immigrant alien population of the planet, just to see how reliable the equipment was. Assuming a frontal victory against the aliens was impossible, no matter how much they developed this new technology they had somehow gotten a hold of (probably through the planetary immigrants), they set out to develop the perfect resistance gear: Crap even the most unintelligent civilian (a.k.a. Kurono and co.) would be able to wield successfully against superiorly armed enemies.
One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings.
~Diogenes of Sinope
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

No, I don't really think they're stupid, and when you really break it down, aren't we all at least a little selfish. We have to be, it's a defense mechanism. Is there any specific reasons you feel that way tho? You can't really fault them for thinking of their loved ones, and wanting to protect them. I know if it was me in that situation, I'd be thinking of my wife and daughter. Without Kurono there, who's going to protect Tae? I can imagine how he must be feeling. You have to have someone you're really close to like that to really understand, and parents don't really count, because as children we naturally expect our parents to be able to take care of themselves, to a point at least. Sometimes the author does have them act weird tho, but not always.

About them testing the gear though. Not only were they able to do that, but they were also able to literally build and prepare the resistance as well, not just the tech. The Gantz teams are still being forced to fight against their will, that's mandatory manpower right there. Since they've already been dealing with this crap for a good while now, at least they're already familiar with the gear and such. I think it's safe to assume at this point that this was all orchestrated by some secret world group. Perhaps a secret coalition of all the major world governments, or a secret society like the Illuminati or something. Can't really say for certain about that yet. I wouldn't even be surprised if they used the aliens own technology and reverse engineered it to make their own. Why did they have to force people into these roles tho? I'm sure they could find plenty of mercenaries or soldiers who would willing join up to test technologically advanced weaponry and fight aliens, and even keep it quiet. All for the right pay of course. Besides a properly trained military force would be way more effective than this. I wouldn't really call Kurono "unintelligent" though. He's just not properly trained. He's also a compassionate person. Some might call that a weakness, but it doesn't make him stupid. You have to keep in mind these are normal people being forced to fight. They're not soldiers, and they don't have the proper training for this. Which is why I don't know why they didn't just form and train a secret army. Wouldn't it have been easier to, at the very least, explain things to their unwilling army and properly prepare them for all this. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would have happily joined up though. It almost seems like a story flaw for the sake of a plot device, you know? Despite all that, I'd say Kurono's done pretty damn well so far, at least compared to a lot of his peers that we've seen. I guess the author just wanted to be overly mysterious to get people interested and then keep them chomping at the bit. In hindsight it seems like an unnecessary and inefficient way to go about things tho. Also, if they can just clone dead people, why not just make an army of Kuronos and Katous, or whomever, and overwhelm the aliens that way. Yeah, it's not a perfect story, but I still like it. XD

Honestly I've got to put it on the group in charge. If they had properly trained and prepared soldiers for this, then it would be different. However, they're using unwilling and untrained slaves to fight instead. I'm not surprised by how the people are acting. If they had been properly prepared, society in general really, then the combatants would be able to focus and fight properly. Though I will admit, that author often paints people and humanity in a very negative light. It's a highly unlikely situation that he's set up anyway. The story is far from perfect, but it's still kind of compelling if you don't try to over think it. Plus when you think a certain way, it can be hard to write characters outside of that mindset, but not everyone thinks the same. Yet in fiction like this it's not unusual to see such predominate commonalities.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Why the hell are they infesting on a Live Action instead of another anime season?!

Japanese Live Actions suck! Period!
fujinsan
Flexing spam muscles

Post by fujinsan »

Aluja wrote:Why the hell are they infesting on a Live Action instead of another anime season?!

Japanese Live Actions suck! Period!
Because they ended the anime with a bs ending
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Could have easily been redeemed.
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

Would you be laughing at a herd of cows running around the mall? I would leave the area.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

No, but I'd probably stop and stare. Surely these aliens know / can tell that the humans are intelligent beings. So do they just not care or what? I don't know, I wouldn't feel comfortable eating something that's as smart as I am. :?
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

We do eat some dumb animals
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

what are the thoughts on what has been going on currently?
TheParagon
Mastered PM

Post by TheParagon »

not sure if its unregular releases or unregular scans. but anyways. i really like where its heading, and that last chapter when he went Carrie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074285/) on the aliens or whatever they are was really nice
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I'm really enjoying the current story arc. Crazy stuff.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Rolos wrote:I think most inconsistencies in the story stem from the obvious "I'm making this shit up as I go" attitude the author has.
Haha. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks/(knows?) this.
Artezul
Flexing spam muscles

Post by Artezul »

ShinigamiGuts wrote:Would you be laughing at a herd of cows running around the mall? I would leave the area.
I'd crack a smile if it was a herd of tiny cows.
"Don't you get it yet?! If she's beautiful, you'll die instantly!!" Chopper
ShinigamiGuts
n00b Smasher

Post by ShinigamiGuts »

Cool special bleach should do something like this to fill in all the plotholes.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Yeh the Osaka and Nishi chapters are nice fillers that are released separate from the main story. I hope theres more chapters to come. I hope we eventually learn more about Oku, considering that even with the current story arc we havent seen a GANTZ fighter with a mech, bike, and arm suit yet, leading to believe Oku was one of the top GANTZ fighters and maybe we'll get to see his demise vs the Nurarihyon alien.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Bump bump bump

Whos liking how this current arc is progressing? Glad Kuruno finally found Tae, now we won't have to deal with anymore chapters where half the pages are the two of them screaming KEI-CHAN! and TAE-CHAN!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

LOL, very true. I like both characters a lot, but the constant shouting of their names does get a little annoying. Oh, and I'm liking the current story arc quite a bit. :)
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

LOL so much for rejoicing, Kuruno gets transported right after
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Shit just got real!
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Hells yeah! Giant robots for realz this time!
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Did you notice, Kei is also wearing that super suit(the one Oka was wearing) in the cockpit...as much as I love Gantz, I really miss miss melons(kei) it's like she was completely cut off, feels weird, especially if you started thinking that she was one of the main characters IE Kei Kurono and Kato...
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I did notice that. It's technically a suit, inside a suit, inside a suit, lol.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Now that you mention, suitinception, lol
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Haha now I understand whats happening. I didn't really know what Kuruno was doing but it makes sense now that hes inside one of the mechs. Weird though, from the Osaka arc, the mech should be about the same size as the humanoid aliens. I wonder how they are so huge now? Or maybe they were always that huge? Maybe the Yakuza guys had them tweaked for the mission.

I dont miss Kei though, she did have nice tits but her character was as useless as Tae is.