::GANTZ::

Have a fetish for dead wood comics, or you just like the better story development of the Manga? Post about 'em here.

Moderator: EG Members

Aluja
Mastered PM

Re: ::GANTZ::

Post by Aluja »

True, it's not really her character I miss, it's the love triangle.

These mechs are brand new I believe.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the mecha are new.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

The love triangle was an interesting idea, but I like Kato's new romance with Yamazaki. I'm glad Oku brought her back, even though theres a good chance shes going to die again lol.
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

Eh...what's up with the sudden self confrontation? Nothing went on again sigh...
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

Oku Plans To End Gantz Next Year

I haven't caught up with this in a good 6 months, gotta set some time aside to read the new stuff. Was really digging this latest arc.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

^ I'm both glad and sad at the news. Sad because Gantz is a hella awesome sci-fi manga that should never end. Glad also because Oku is deciding to end it while hes ahead. The pacing of the Gantz has been great, with the enemies becoming increasingly powerful, along with the impact on the world, how everything was stealthed from public view and it transitioned to everything being seen, then eventually the whole world becoming involved, and being its final battlefield. As long as it ends right, it would be a great time to end it.

I don't quite understand something from the most recent chapter. According to Reika and Hyoumas conversation, Kuruno should have his Z Gun on him, yet it appears he fights the new monster with just dual X-Rifles. Doesn't seem he has it on him that chapter.

Not sure what the monster is doing either. It appears he heated Kuruno's X-rifles to the point of implosion, and it seems hes holding up Kuruno through some sort of gravitational pull, but whats with all the locust? Is that also a result of its gravitational pull?
Aluja
Mastered PM

Post by Aluja »

It's weird, since the other 2 arcs had approx 140 chapters if what he says is true, this arc will only have about 70, 80 tops, kind of a letdown, hopefully it'll end nice.

I'd love to know what he'd make next, and when Gantz is done, I hope a new anime does it justice.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Man Clone Kuruno is just cold. Reika momentarily saves him and he brings up Tae-chan. Though she did clone him for her own selfish desires. I'm still rooting for her in this upcoming fight, but I feel like this will be the last of Reika.
uncempt
Buzkashi wannabe

Post by uncempt »

But wasn't that calculated coldness to try and get rid of her so she wouldn't die and he could be a martyr? And it's down by one hand and foot so she should be able to manage it now.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Yeah but I don't think he was planning to die though, he seemed to truly believe he could kill it and rejoin the group. In one of the earlier chapters he said something about proving his worth and not being just a clone of Reikas. He eventually slept with her and everything but I think deep down he still resents her for cloning him. I have a feeling that if Reika can kill this alien he will have a change of heart.

Hey did you guys also discuss the live action films? I just watched them recently. Despite them changing a lot of the story, I kinda liked the first one. Good special effects and cinematography. The story was a little weak and I feel the changes they made from the manga has a lot to do with it. The second one was awful. By the end of the film I understood how events unfolded as they did, but throughout the film I had a big "WTF" on my face the whole time. I had no idea what was going on, what a piss-poor script. A 6 year old could have written a better script.
Starnum
Elven King

Post by Starnum »

I don't know, I'm with Uncempt on this one. I think he brought up Tae to get Reika to leave. He was probably planning on dying to save the others so they could escape. He was able to hurt the enemy so much because he was prepared to die, and gave it his all in hopes that he could stop the alien. I don't think he wants to die, but he was prepared to. Now that he hurt it so much, I think Reika will be able to save him.

I watched the first movie and was not impressed. I might watch the second one, but if it's as bad as you say, then maybe not. *shrugs*
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

The first movie was enjoyable on a certain level but overall was pretty bad. Definitely didn't do the series justice, but it was funny/entertaining to watch someone take a crack at a live-action Gantz adaptation. That part with the Tanaka alien was just hilarious, I watched the movie twice just to see that scene again. As for the second movie, if it completely deviates from the plot, consider me uninterested.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

I think Reika will get mortally wounded fighting the alien and clone Kuruno will understand how much Reika loved Kuruno and why she went to the extent of cloning him when she found out she could not have him. We've had a lot of promo pics of Reika with the Gantz sword, so now its pretty exciting to see her finally in action with one, but I have a feeling Oku will lay down his hand of justice on Reika for playing God just like how Izumi finally got killed for the market shooting.

I liked the first Gantz movie. I never like it when movies stray off from their original sources, but theres only so much you can fit into a two-hour movie so I accepted the fact there were bound to be changes. I wish it was gorier though, they did not show the real way Kishimoto died with the buddha statue's acid or Nishi's eyes popping out from the Tanaka alien's high pitched scream.

As for the second film, yeah it completely deviates from the plot. They do kinda have the vampire arc, but the vampires aren't vampires. They are just more aliens that resemble humans. And no Izumi, they completely do not have him. The second film's story just sort of revolves around the aliens resembling the manga's vampires, and they disregard the Osaka arc, the Italy arc, and the Invasion Arc. Around the time they started production of the films, the Invasion Arc was just starting so I guess they could not show that to spoil what could be Oku's last Gantz arc, but still, it truly SUCKS that they took out the Osaka arc. Also, the actress they have playing the character of Reika, who is renamed as Erika in the film, is hardly a bombshell as Reika is in the manga. They should just gotten a busty JAV actress like Aoi Sora or Ameri Ichinose to play the part of Reika but oh well.

The second film is good for one of those Fridays where you just want to watch a mindless popcorn flick and you are tired of watching Michael Bay flicks. But if you are looking for a film that would do the manga justice, then yeah you guys should keep avoiding the second film. It has some great action sequences and a lot more sword fighting, theres an awesome massacre scene in the subway similar to Izumi's market shooting and theres a great sword fight between Kuruno and who should be the Host Samurai. Its just, as I said in my previous post, it really feels like the screenwriter gave a pen to his 6 year old child and let him write it instead. For a little bit of spoiler, the second film involves a clone of Katou, but its not really a clone of Katou, its just the aliens, or atleast the alien leader, that should be the manga vampires, can shapeshift into anyone, kinda like the Oni aliens, so it takes the form of Katou to confuse everyone, and by everyone I mean the film's characters and the film's audience. Katou does get revived, and respectful to the manga he gets revived by who should be old man Suzuki, but that just adds more confusion because there are two Katous now. By the end of the film I understood everything, and I was satisfied with the film as a stand alone story, but I think I was more confused watching that film than when I'm reading a Tsutomu Nihei manga, so overall my review is unfavorable.
papasith
Augh! Bright sky fire burn eyes!

Post by papasith »

so on to the manga with everything that happened in the manga recently i feel a little lost on a few things. What ever happened with the vampires? did we find out really much else about them other then the aliens kind of know who they are? I thought some of the vampires where stuck in the gantz game too but I haven't seen or heard of them at all in this last arc.
brunoafh
This is my new home

Post by brunoafh »

I'm confused about the vampires sudden absence too. Host Samurai is pretty much my favorite character, and Oku just kind of wrote him off out of no where after the Osaka arc. I'm hoping he makes a comeback though.
dos.azn
the_Gook_of_EG

Post by dos.azn »

Theres a chance Host Samurai makes a comeback in this arc, if not, I think Oku just wants us to assume that the vampires are just there, just another species living on earth trying to get by each day and their relevance ceases to exist once they are no longer involved in the storyline. From their story arc, we realize they are aware of the existence of other species (the different alien races) living on earth, and their annihilation by the Gantz teams lead them to assume these Black ball warriors are on a mission to destroy whatever is not human, hence they make the Gantz teams their enemies. In his last appearance, Host Samurai said he doesn't feel like killing them anymore, I guess he realized the Gantz teams are just hunting the aliens and not vampires, hence they are no longer a threat to them. This is all speculation though, if anything it could just be another unanswered question that will be left unanswered, like did Oku ever explain why Taechan became a GANTZ target?