G.I. JOE: RESOLUTE

The latest and greatest of Japanese Animation. Found something new, or perhaps old and arcane... if it has to do with anime, it goes right here.

Moderator: EG Members

Omnideus
imanewbie

G.I. JOE: RESOLUTE

Post by Omnideus »

Alright, so I know it's kinda taboo for someone with as few posts as myself to create a thread, but I feel justified given the subject.

While it is not technically anime, it being animation made me believe this was the only fitting place for this. Warren Ellis, famed comic writer (Transmetropolitan, Planetary, The Authority, etc.) and all around f'ed up cat (if you've frequented his site and blogs you would know what I mean), has been asked to create a new "micro-series" in the G.I. JOE universe dubbed "G.I. JOE: RESOLUTE". The series follows several of the main characters from the old cartoon, toy lines, and comics, as well as a couple new faces. It seems it is being created for an older crowd, namely those that grew up in the days of "Yo Joe!" whose tastes have matured. The first six episodes are up at AdultSwim.com, and I have been taken aback. They are awesome, especially regarding the storyline surrounding Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. There are to be 10 total 5 minute episodes, and a 10 minute finale in the series. For more information, you can read it straight from Warren's fingertips here: Warren Ellis' page.

Now, Mr. Ellis himself stated that he has no insight into the G.I. JOE lore, but that is what Sam Register (Exec. VP of WB Animation) wanted, and it seems he was right in this desire. Because of this, Warren has no attachment to anything in this world and is able to make it more "mature" without hesitation. This is shown in that some major names from the universe are destined to die off (some before the series even started). While some will think this callous, I feel that it was a good way to draw a crowd in with a bit of a system shock (especially for the die-hard fans). Also, you have to believe that majority of the original characters will get little to no screen time being that there is only an hour of air time allotted.

Now, I will stop with my rant, pray that I do not become ostracized from this community (where else will I find such great quality Berserk scanlations?), and truly hope that the inhabitants give this a fair look. I think it deserves it. Thank you for your time.
The Herald
Tastes like burning!

Re: G.I. JOE: RESOLUTE

Post by The Herald »

Did Ellis work on Preacher too? Or am I mixing him up with Ennis ...

Yeah, you're fine, you got like 8 posts or so, don't bug me. I started a new post after about 5 too, but everyone here already thinks I'm crazy. The trick is to not say sorry too often, but also to not look like a jerk.
Audentis Fortuna Juvet - Virgil
Omnideus
imanewbie

Post by Omnideus »

The Herald wrote:Did Ellis work on Preacher too? Or am I mixing him up with Ennis ...

Yeah, you're fine, you got like 8 posts or so, don't bug me. I started a new post after about 5 too, but everyone here already thinks I'm crazy. The trick is to not say sorry too often, but also to not look like a jerk.
Yeah, that was Ennis, but a good series none-the-less.
Omnideus
imanewbie

Post by Omnideus »

Just so you guys know, 7-10 are out on AdultSwim.com. 8 has what is, in my opinion, possibly the greatest "realistic" ninja battle of all time. Words cannot describe how awesome it is. Also, I believe that the whole series is going to be aired from midnight to 1:30am on the programming schedule for Sat. April 25th on Adult Swim. Hope that some of you guys actually watch this, as I think it's a good micro-series. And Berserk being my all-time favorite anime/manga has to show that I have at least some taste. Gurren-Lagann is second, to further clarify my tastes.
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

unrealistic... by anime standards of course

if this was written by japanese writers most of the characters would have been dead by the end of the show... i saw this yesterday... even though this was on par with Afro Samurai it was clear how much money they spent on it (some of the scenes weren't as well done as others)

Also, while i agree the ninja storyline was the best part of the show, it was, unfortunately, the only part worth watching

[spoiler]lame finishing move.... shoulda blew out his brains[/spoiler]
"Happiness is an inside job"
Omnideus
imanewbie

Post by Omnideus »

Dominion wrote:unrealistic... by anime standards of course

if this was written by japanese writers most of the characters would have been dead by the end of the show... i saw this yesterday... even though this was on par with Afro Samurai it was clear how much money they spent on it (some of the scenes weren't as well done as others)

Also, while i agree the ninja storyline was the best part of the show, it was, unfortunately, the only part worth watching

[spoiler]lame finishing move.... shoulda blew out his brains[/spoiler]
I personally thought the new, viable threat take on Cobra Commander was another reason that this should be seen, personally. Also, I rebut your spoiler with one of my own...

[spoiler]I thought that was what they were implying with bit of blood/brain matter(?) you see coming out the back of Storm Shadow's head. That or he blew his third eye out the back of his head, which would be more fitting and along the lines of the entire Arashikage story line.[/spoiler]
Finito
I live in a giant bucket.

Post by Finito »

Too short...
Eldo
Of The Abyss

Post by Eldo »

I, uh, watched this just yesterday.

But most of the focus was on the Snake Eyes plotline. I really don't care for anything else.

I think this has something to do with my dislike for GI Joe since my childhood. I loved big robots and superheroics back in my childhood, and GI Joe just seemed so lame. Not to mention I didn't understand a word of what it was saying. And that it was lame. So that sentiment must have been transferred to my current state of adulthood as well, I guess. I like Snake Eyes because ninjas beat pirates and snakes on a plane 99% of the time.

I don't think half the toilet seats in the world are as clean as I should like; and only half of those are half as clean as they deserve. - tsubaimomo, July 26, 2010 3:00 am
Dominion
This is my new home

Post by Dominion »

i like the part where those two people infiltrate the installation and get shot at by like 50 guys... and come out alive with only one of them getting shot

sad how the broad chose the boy scout over snake eyes :(
"Happiness is an inside job"
Sandman
Dirty Sennin

Post by Sandman »

I can only find shit quality stuff on Utube... so does anyone know where to find this anime???

Edit: Never mind found it on torrent thanks for nothing
Thank you sir, may I have another :twisted: :whip:
Sortep
n00b eater

Post by Sortep »

Necro troll!
Bow to Golbez